Need business travel tips and advise

Moobuzz

For those who travel a lot, I am a corporate trainer and am traveling a few days out of the week.  I travel to various U.S. and Canadian cities and am on the road about twice a month.  During the day, lunch is catered for the class and I'm afraid that there will be nothing that is completely compliant.  Since I stay in a hotel, it's not that feasible for me to buy food, prep, let alone cook it, and I'm not there that long so much of the food may go to waste.  During my Whole30 period I will have two business trips, and one is coming up next week.  I am adept at bringing snacks or packing my lunch for the flights, but it's when I get to my destination that is problematic.

Before I started Whole30 I use to love looking up good local restaurants on Yelp and trying new places in the city I'm visiting.  My questions are, a) do you have suggestions on how to pick restaurants while on Whole30, and B) how to navigate eating a pre-set catered menu that may give you little choice?  Thanks!

• Moderators

Hey there Moobuzz (love the name!)

Here's the Dining Out Guide that gives you tips and questions to ask http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-dining.pdf

Can you talk to the people that order the lunches for the classes?  If you had a life threatening allergy, you would tell them that you couldn't eat XYZ, so I"m sure that you can have a conversation with them and see if maybe they can ask the caterers to bring you a big salad with plain grilled chicken.  Some of the things that you can bring along to help with the catered lunch would be salad dressing, tinned fish (in case that grilled chicken is breaded and deep fried) and an avocado... easy purse food.  In your case, i would also say that if you had an Epic bar or two in your purse, this might be one of the instances where it would be helpful when you can't be in full control of your food choices.

I'm sure if the class is next week, they probably know what the catering menu is so maybe a first step is to get them to send it to you.... In both the restaurant and the lunch, the key is to ask questions. 

Does that help?

Hi Moobuzz, 

I travel every other week for work (trips lasting 3-4 days). Definitely check out the dining guide and also use search terms like "paleo" on yelp and grubhub. If you are in one of the regions with a Sweet Green they have compliant salad dressings. When I can't find compliant food (or weeks like this week where lunch is catered), I pack some sliced vegetables, frozen frittata muffins, frozen fish cakes, nuts, Epic bars and larabars. That way I have at least a couple of meals planned for without having to cook in the hotel, and if my flight is delayed I'm not stuck in the airport without dinner (I have yet to find a compliant restaurant in the airport that I could get to on a layover). 

• 1 month later...

Hi Moobuzz - I'm in a similar line of work and travel most weeks.  I've found that letting by the hotel know before you arrive (I usually just call) they have always been more than happy to meet my needs.  What I have found best is just to tell them what you want - don't give them a list of what you can't have.  I just tell them I have dietary restrictions (I do have several full blown allergies - so I use the "allergy" word) and am hoping they can help me out.  Like mentioned above - ask for a simple grilled chicken salad (I usually even ask for just salt and pepper on the chicken) and lots of veggies and avocado.  I ask them to bring olive oil and vinegar.  Sometimes I get a steak salad or grilled chicken and plain steamed veggies (bring the oil and vinegar then too).  Never have an issue in 15 years.  Last week the nice caterer brought me a fruit tray (without asking) when she brought out the cookie tray at snack time.  I am starting to take a bunch of olives with me now "just in case" I need something!

I struggle with breakfast as I am allergic to eggs - so if you get great ideas there let me know!  Hope that helps some!

Thanks for the tips everyone! I am in consulting and when I travel, I'm usually there for at least a couple days.  Since it's usually to rural places, I bring my own things in a little cooler (compliant sliced turkey, couple of larabars, dressing/mayo) and then purchase the other (more common stuff) at a local store (lettuce, avocado, fruit, other veggies).  

I'll be sure to keep all of this in mind the next time I have to fly somewhere though.  That will be tricky!  I've found a lot of places around me don't understand how to just offer vinegar and oil... or they just don't carry it.  I was very frustrated a few weeks ago boating, when they brought me out a raspberry vinaigrette. Oh, and the veggies they provided with my steak? Corn (was told it'd be seasonal veggies). BOO.  That's why I've come to dislike eating out :/

Archived