Starting my 3rd Whole30 on June 16! Who's with me?! :)

katieblue

You bet!! This is my go-to potato salad recipe, except I only used 1 T of Dijon and 1 teaspoon of paprika. And I modified this recipe for the pineapple slaw. I used a bag of cole slaw mix rather than chop up veggies myself, and for the sauce, I used regular white vinegar, salt, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of celery seed. I also added about 1/2 cup of pineapple tidbits (in juice, not sugar, of course) to make it a little sweeter, and have also added about 1/4 cup of raisins on other occasions. They're both great sides that have become staples for BBQ-based dinners, and even non-Whole30ers love them!

For the burgers, for each one I used about 5oz ground turkey, about 2 teaspoons of this jerk seasoning, as well as about 1/4 cup of diced fresh mango.

I think that avocados are supposed to be an excellent snack if you need one! I could seriously eat them all day long. Guac is another staple condiment in our house now that I habitually Whole30!

I think that happens a lot with mayo, actually - what recipe are you using? The slow drizzle method or the tall, narrow container with an immersion blender? I always use the immersion blender, with light olive oil, and sometimes there is some oil leftover. Usually if I stir it by hand it will emulsify.

How are you feeling!? We're moving along!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@katieblue Thank you so much for the advice. I never had olives as snacks before - but will definitely look into it! Are canned ones usually ok? Also, thanks so much for sharing the recipe for both potato salad and pineapple coleslaw. Can't wait to try them myself!

I used the slow drizzle method, but I have an immersion blender, so I will try that one next time.

As for how I'm feeling - I have been great up until this point, but I *literally* just in the last ten minutes had an emergency bathroom run that came out of left field and surprised me. And it was not pleasant. Let's just say that if I was keeping up with my weight, I would expect a drastic change in the scales tomorrow.

Anyone else had anything like that happen? rollin' right along then WHAM! stomach troubles? What do you do about that? Tums are off the list, as are most of those chewables....

pinklotus, no problem! I'm just repeating what I've heard the mods advising. Canned olives are great as long as they have no added sugar! I go through a can every two days or so. :) I've also heard of using compliant jerky, canned fish or chicken, and hard-boiled eggs as snacks.

Jenarra, if you just dump all the ingredients in one narrow container, and start at the bottom with the immersion blender and slowly lift it up, it should emulsify without getting runny! Some people say to make sure everything is room temperature, but I've had success with both cold and lukewarm ingredients.

I think the bathroom troubles are normal at this point, too; your body is going through some serious detoxing and changing to keep up! Ginger or peppermint tea is usually helpful for soothing tummy troubles!

OK today is #9 and I am wondering if there is such a thing as overdoing it with chopped salads? Going in I was accustomed to eating 5 a week always with dinners, but now I have almost doubled that amount with additional protein and fats added for lunches which were a once in a blue moon thing before. Still feeling terrific with very little notice of a change in energy levels, and am exercising on a more regular schedule than ever before. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like I'm getting hungrier even with the bigger meal sizes! I'll definitely start adding a bit more fat to my meals, I have some compliant guac in the fridge just calling my name that I'll have to dive into :) And yay for the gym guy compliment Katie! It's always reassuring and nice to get a compliment from a stranger (in a non creepy way of course  ;) ) This week is my first week of working full 10 hour days as a nanny for a 9yo girl, so I've been working on packing lunches and making sure I leave my house prepared every morning for whatever we end up doing that day. Yesterday we ended up having a picnic at a park, and you can bet I had some salad, grilled chicken, some strawberries and nuts packed along with me (the fanciest picnic meal at the park). Today we ended up at a little cafe for lunch and instead of trying to maneuver my way through the limited menu and baked goods, I decided on just having an almond milk latte and eating the lara bar I had in my purse to hold me over until we made it back to the house where my packed lunch was. Each day comes with its own small challenges, and at the end of the day I'm left with a satisfied feeling knowing I'm one more day into this healthier lifestyle. Hope day 6 (or whatever day you're on) has gone well for everyone! We're making it through this together!!

• Moderators

OK today is #9 and I am wondering if there is such a thing as overdoing it with chopped salads? Going in I was accustomed to eating 5 a week always with dinners, but now I have almost doubled that amount with additional protein and fats added for lunches which were a once in a blue moon thing before. Still feeling terrific with very little notice of a change in energy levels, and am exercising on a more regular schedule than ever before. 

It's fine to have as much salad as you want, but pay attention to how you're feeling. Some people find that having lots of raw vegetables can cause bloating and other digestive issues, so if you're noticing anything like that, you might switch to cooked vegetables for a few days, and then adjust how often you have salads. Another thing that can happen is that you might just get bored with salads, so it might be good to work on trying to incorporated different vegetables before that starts to happen.

Also you want to be sure you get a variety of vegetables in -- not necessarily that you need a ton of different vegetables each day, but it's definitely good to vary them, since different vegetables have different nutrients.

If you're just not sure what vegetables to have or how to cook them, there are tons of recipes here or here -- most recipes on both those sites are Whole30 compliant, but both also have some that aren't, so be sure you double check ingredients.

TripleG, in addition to what Shannon said, I eat SO much salad, don't psych yourself out! I usually buy it in bags and eat at least one bag, sometimes a bag and a half, for lunch every day. :)

Libby, that sounds like some crazy hours for a summer job, good luck to you! It sounds like you're on top of it though and really prepared to make good choices. I love how positive you are about everything!

Day 7!! We're almost one week in! :)

We're making one of my favorite Whole30 dinners tonight: lettuce wrapped tacos! We do some homemade seasoning, fried onion and cilantro in ground turkey, then toss them inside big leafs of iceberg or romaine with all kinds of toppings! Lettuce, tomato, olives, pico de gallo, compliant salsa, fried plantains, fried jalapenos, hot sauce, and homemade guac of course... so good!!

• Administrators

I'm actually having the *not* hungry response. I ate just an avocado and some fried plantains for lunch today, and an hour later than usual, because I just didn't want food. 

Hi Jenarra,

An avo and fried plantains is probably not your best choice when faced with limited hunger.  Try to go for something that has protein in it and maybe not the sweetest veggie fried up?  Reduced hunger that is met with only sweet/fatty combinations doesn't leave any room to teach your body proper signals and to be appetized by proper food.  It wasn't a non-compliant choice but not the best to pull you out of your funk.

Plate up a template meal including 1-3 cups veggies that aren't starchy, some fat and some protein and eat as much as you can.  Wrap up and eat the rest as soon as you feel able.  Reduced hunger followed by under eating brings reduced hunger which brings more under eating.  It's a vicious cycle you should try to break quickly.

Seven days completed, everyone!! How are we feeling after the first week? :)

I had a dream last night that I was eating a big plate of food with taco seasoning from a package and sour cream - which I never eat anyway!! I woke up so unnerved but really grateful that it was only a dream! Lol!

Two straight days without chopped salads did me wonders, as I really enjoyed the one I had for lunch today with chopped beef, tomatoes, avocado, cashews, peppers, onions, and varietal lettuce under a delicious compliant balsamic/OO mix. In the mean time I made a 24 hour bone broth which I used in my stir fry last night, and now have enough broth frozen to use in 12 more meals. Day 12 feels great, and keep up the good PMA everybody!

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been posting these past few days, I've just been busy busy busy! Between sleep, work, meal prep, etc, I have almost no down time these days  :huh:  But ITS FRIDAY!!! Finally! Yesterday was pretty rough, as I woke up with a terrible headache and stomach ache and did not want to eat anything. I knew that not eating would only make things worse, though, so I managed to have about three smaller meals. Today was a lot better, and I woke up with my appetite back. I'm happy to have made it past the first week! I can't say I haven't doubted my ability to do this at least a few times, but here I am pushing through. And that's a good feeling! Hope day 9 is going well for everyone!! Almost a third of the way there!! That's crazy!

Hey Libby! No need to be sorry, we totally get being busy. It's tough to try to manage everything, especially with all the food prep that a Whole30 requires!

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, and that you're staying so positive. You have a really inspiring attitude through all of this. :)

Day 10!! We're in double digits!!

Today marks day 15 for me and I actually made the Melissa Mayo recipe this morning, with a 2 speed proctor silex immersion blender I bought at my local grocery store yesterday for $15.99. The emulsion process went really fast and I was done in less than a minute with juice from a whole lime instead of lemon, my egg and lime on the counter overnight, and Bertolli Light Tasting OO. Using it for a creamy garlic dressing for my dinner salad tonight :-) keep up the good work team!

Congratulations, TripleG! You're already halfway there!! It's crazy how fast the time goes by. :)

I haven't made Melissa's mayo, but I have made mayo with the immersion blender, and I will never go back to eating regular mayo while I can help it (I've had it while I'm out because, let's face it, they aren't going to make me a lobster roll with Whole30 mayo when I'm vacationing in Maine)! I think it would be really interesting to try it with lime instead of lemon - I'll have to give it a shot!

I used it to make Boom Boom Sauce, which is 1/4 cup mayo, 1 tbsp Sriracha, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp paprika, and optionally 1 tbsp ketchup. It goes great as a dipping sauce for baked "fries" or chicken fingers, or on burgers, or I just drizzled mine over a baked potato and called it a day!

Has anyone tried making kalua pork? Other Whole30ers have raved about it and I just tried it for the first time today. It was SO easy, only 3 ingredients in the crock pot, and it was delicious!!

Okay, the first 9 days flew by for me, now I'm feeling a massive slow-down... it may have to do with the trip I made this past weekend, but I'm feeling sluggish, and just want to get on with it. Breakfast was scrambled eggs again. Lunch will be a big leafy salad with tuna. Dinner will be chicken, and will have white, yellow, and green zucchini, as I'm afraid they will go bad if I don't use them soon. 

This is the first day I've just felt "blargh" about everything. Slump? Is this a normal mid-point (almost) thing? Anyone else having highs/lows?

LOL - Someone brought Cranberry Almond Scones into the office today.... and I found out about it after they were all gone (which I wouldn't have had one anyway, but this is funny)....

So I scooped all of the almond slivers that had fallen off the scones (that would have been tossed into the trash otherwise), and set them aside for an afternoon energy boost later. 

Jenarra, I have mixed in some fruit recently with my salads to give them some variety (nectarine, sliced grapes and pineapple are my faves). I am alternating eggs up with my scrambled for bkfast, and using meat for dipping into the yolks and always steaming broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, onions, finger sized zucchini, and kale to add variety to my scrambles. I've had to throw out some beans that got over-ripe, and have the same issue facing me with some zucchini, which I hope to turn into spaghetti if I can find a spiralizer between now and tomorrow for dinner. Remember that, This Too Shall Pass! and good work with the almond sliver trick to give yourself a treat ;)

HI everyone! Just finishing up day 13!! Almost half way there :) I've definitely fallen into a bit of a food rut lately, and as I've been super busy with work I haven't exactly taken the time to do much grocery shopping lately (at least I still live at home so my mom's grocery shopping is getting me through these busy weeks ;) ). I have a long weekend off from work starting Thursday, though, so I'm excited to try out some new recipes and get ahead on food prep so I'm ready to continue on! I definitely haven't been getting enough veggies in, as I hardly eat them with breakfast since it's something I'm just totally not used to. I'll have to get creative with that and work on really getting meals that fit the template. I'm also finding it really hard to go without a mid afternoon snack, which usually ends up being an approved Lara bar. With having M1 around 7:30am, M2 around noon, and not getting home from work to have dinner until 7ish, it's almost impossible to go those 7 hours without something to get me by, even if I have a big lunch. I know Lara bars aren't the best, though, so I'm also going to work on having a fourth smaller "meal" from now on as my mid afternoon snack. Being almost half way there, I know I have some things to work on but I'm just happy to say I've made it this far! I hope everyone else is staying strong, too. We're in this together!! 

Jenarra, I don’t have the book anymore so I’m not exactly sure of the timeline, but I definitely know that there is a point where many people will reach a slump. I never got there myself, but I know a lot of people in my first and second rounds all hit that wall of food boredom. TripleG has a great idea in tossing some variety into your standards to liven them up! Have you tried salsa or pico de gallo with your eggs? Maybe some homemade ketchup? Maybe chopping some of those zucchini to put in with them as an omelet? Different ways of serving the eggs, like over easy or hard-boiled with some mayo like an egg salad? With the salads, I’ve tried slicing some cherry tomatoes in half or spiralizing some cucumber instead of just chopping them up, or adding exciting things like guac or olives, artichokes or hearts of palm. And there are a lot of yummy Whole30 dressings you can make (or buy, if you can get Tessemae’s) that can change it up and add some variety!

Libby, my boyfriend had the same struggle with eating veggies at breakfast. I found them pretty bland until I started making ghee from the Kerrygold butter and putting that over them – that stuff is like magic! I cook everything in it now!! But still, it sounds like you are really self-aware of what you need and are so all over it! And we are almost halfway there! Day 14 already!!

Archived