Starting my 3rd Whole30 on June 16! Who's with me?! :)

katieblue

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys! Happy 4th of July!! Day 19 and our first official holiday during our Whole30. How's everybody feeling about that? My family doesn't do anything huge for the 4th, so I'm not too worried about being tempted with tons of festive treats and non compliant meals. I'm just looking forward to watching some fireworks tonight :) I can't believe we have just over 10 days left! The time is flying by, and eating compliant meals isn't even a struggle anymore, it's just automatic and getting easier and easier everyday. I actually spent the weekend with my friend from college who is also in the middle of her own Whole30, so it was the first time I got to meal plan and cook with somebody who is eating the same things as I am. While I've still had a few headaches here and there recently, they're definitely less frequent than they were before starting this journey. The end is near, guys, and I hope you're all staying strong and sticking with it! 

Hey Libby!

So happy to hear you're having such an easy time of this, and that your headaches are going away! What did you and your friend make? I did my first Whole30 with my boyfriend and it was definitely a lot easier to have someone on board with me! The support definitely makes it a lot of fun - although he never picked out recipes with me or meal planned or anything, which I think would have been a lot more fun, haha.

We had a BBQ for the 4th of July, and since we were hosting, it was easy to make sure there would be enough for me to eat! I made a compliant potato salad, pineapple cole slaw, cucumber tomato salad, and green salad, and of course I could have the burgers with my homemade ketchup! BUT our friend Joe has a smoker and he brought several racks of ribs and a giant tub of pulled pork. I had thought I wouldn't be able to have any of it because his BBQ sauce had sugar, soy, and wheat in it (I could see the sugar, but why do you need soy and wheat in a BBQ sauce!?) but it turned out he wanted to glaze the ribs on the grill, so he left the sauce off of half a rack for me and I was able to have some ribs! PLUS, when he left, he left us an entire rack, so we have leftovers for tonight and for tomorrow, as well as a ton of sides - we're going to be eating BBQ food all week (not that I'm complaining!). Plus, I put some pulled pork and baked beans in the freezer for when we are done with the Whole30 and reintros - meat from a smoker and homemade baked beans are definitely "worth it" to me for the small amounts of irritating stuff they may have in them. Actually, the beans have never really bothered me to begin with. I'm still unsure about soy, though, I definitely need to make sure I do a soy reintro day. I have suspicions it may be a big no-no for me.

Also, we had a whole giant table full of homemade desserts, like Nutella brownies, root beer cupcakes, brownie crinkle cookies, and a turtle cake - and I was barely even tempted by them! I had a few moments where I glanced at them and was like, "Holy crap, that smells good" but ultimately I knew I would feel like hell if I ate them, so the desire was never really there at all - and also have come WAY too far with the Whole30 to reset now! I owe myself more dedication than that. :)

Enjoy your fireworks!! :)

DAY 20!!! :D

I've been posting religiously on my blog, but not so much here. Sorry if I've been lax! I'm dreaming about days 31&32, then starting another W30... but the other half of me is thinking of goin gfor a W60 or W100 this first round, so I'm not sure... :D

Katie- my friend and I made omelettes for breakfast, did some grilled chicken marinated in Tessemae's balsamic dressing (SO good), burgers with sweet potato "buns", lots of arugula salad, smashed potatoes, and some other delicious things. :) Looks like you had an amazing 4th of July bbq!! And getting to have ribs from a smoker?? Sounds amazing!! And I don't blame you at all for saving some pulled pork and homemade baked beans- as long as you know what to expect and are consciously making the decision to indulge in those kinds of foods, I'd say it is definitely worth it. And yay for not being tempted by the sweets, I can for sure say that that was the hardest thing for me at first- especially when my sister had homemade lemon poppy seed cake for her birthday  :blink:  It smelled so good and looked delicious, but I knew it wouldn't be worth it to start over the whole 30 because of a slice of cake. 

Last night was a lot of fun! After having a dinner of leftover grilled chicken with some sweet potato and green beans, I got to hang out with some friends and watch the sunset and all the fireworks that followed. It was a good 4th of July! Although because I stayed up quite a bit later than I usually do during the week, my stomach was rumbling as it got closer to midnight, and I was ready to go home, drink some water, and go to sleep!

Jenarra- Happy to hear that you're still going strong! Day 20 it is, how exciting is that!? We have 10 days left!! This seriously has been flying by, and I'm excited but anxious to see what types of foods might be giving me headaches. I also considered going for more than the 30 days, and do the slow version of reintros, just eating something when a situation arises. For me, though, I'm too impatient to see what foods might be a trigger for me, so I'll probably do the regular reintros and then possible go into another round to get myself back on track. 

I too, am considering if I really want to give this up after a mere 30 days. The first thing I will be trying to reintroduce will be cheese as I know that so many of the foods I am now eating on a very regular basis (egg/salad/taco dishes) are the ones I would always compliment with some flavorful mouse bait. On the rib front I used to use a spicy and sweet homemade sauce but have substituted a dry rub recipe which I combine with EVOO for adherence reasons and it has worked well. I've had a chance over the holiday weekend to eat out twice at parties and came prepared with extra protein, fresh veggie slices, and nuts to both events. I was able to partake of the compliant offerings of my hosts along with most of the extras I packed, and I did not feel conspicuous or rude bringing my own because I always travel with a backpack as an avid biker.

I am the baker in our Group of friends and have always provided the Birthday bundt cakes for these celebrations. The party on Sat. was in honor of 2 70th events and I didn't want to let the celebrants down. The reviews I got from the crowd was that it was my best cake ever :unsure: but I was not even tempted to taste, and I used the compliant fresh strawberry sauce I brought with some nuts as my own dessert.

I'm having my daughter over tonight who introduced me to "It Starts With Food" which she discovered in her Graduate studies in nutrition and dietetics and is my partner who started with me. For us, today is #23 and I know that she is looking more forward to the end of 1 only more week than I.

Keep up the good food and vibes everybody!

Jenarra, nice to hear from you!! I’m so happy to hear that you’re feeling so good and thinking of going for longer than the 30 days! Good for you! :)

Libby, that all sounds absolutely amazing!! And way to go for staying strong in the face of that cake – it can definitely be hard, especially in the first round before I realized how crappy I would feel once I ate cake again! And the smell is the hardest part!

I think you’ll be glad that you do the reintros and discover what are triggers for you, to be honest. You could always go back on a Whole30 again if you find yourself feeling bad (clearly, I am in favor of this, as I’m on my third! Lol).

TripleG, it’s so funny you mention cheese, because my boyfriend and I did the first Whole30 together and we both agreed we missed cheese more than any other food, and it was the first thing we reintro’d! He eats it now still, but I got serious bubble guts from it and really don’t miss it at all anymore, except occasionally I will wish I could have some on a burger. But when we make things like tacos or salads, I no longer want to pile on the cheddar or feta or anything. I hope that you don’t have a bubble gut reaction to dairy like I did!

I’m proud of you for handling the holiday weekend parties so well! I’ve found that social gatherings are always the most challenging parts of being in a Whole30. We went to a baby shower last weekend that was catered by our local MexiCali chain and it was sssooo hard to sit there and smell it but not have any! But it feels like such a victory when you get through it!

I’m the baker in my family and friends, too, and I have made several rounds of baked goods while Whole30ing – and that’s hard, too, if you know you’re damn good at it and it would totally be delicious! But, you can always make another one if you want to – only I think you will find that you don’t always want to so badly anymore!

You all rock. :)

Okay, guys. Day 22. then ONE MORE WEEK. We're done next Saturday, right? 

More than anything, I think, I'm tired of the *routine* of this whole thing. Part of me wants to make this a #W60 or #W100, but I need a little bit more variety. And I'm really tired of my 15 year old offering me a sip of something, or a taste of something, and then I have to reject it, and he gets so disappointed, and apologizes, like he's just offended me or something, or been completely inconsiderate, and I have to reassure him that it's okay, that I'm just not eating dairy, and it's not a huge deal, and it's okay....

I mean, I can take what I've learned from this month, and apply it to daily living, pretty easily. I know I can. But I think having a small bite of something sweet, or a sip of a flavored coffee, or something like that - OCCASIONALLY - would work for me. And then maybe I'll do another #W30 in the Fall.

Thoughts form you seasoned veterans in here? Please?

I actually have today as Day 25 - did I miscount somewhere? That would mean that Friday will be our last day, not Saturday.

I can definitely understand the desire for some more variety - Rob and I were trying to go out to dinner the other night, but our options were limited to the one Paleo restaurant near our house or Chipotle. I don't mind eating the same few things over and over, especially since being in school I don't have much time or energy to seek out and experiment with new recipes right now. But I do miss trying new and exciting things sometimes. My first round of Whole30 I found so many awesome recipes, though, so I don't think you need to have food boredom - there is plenty of opportunity to try new things if you want! But it could definitely be hard to get a 15-year-old on board.

I honestly think it's totally up to you. Some of us think that we can just have a small bite of things occasionally, but then find out that we really don't have as much control as we thought we did. I know I'm an abstainer, not a moderator - I don't understand the meaning of "just one bite". One always turns into two, three, seven, etc. and I get out of control really fast. I do better just saying, "No thank you." But some people do well with just having small amounts. But the thing is, you're thinking about this in a great way. You have the perspective that you are in control and you are able to make choices and it's entirely up to you - and that's really the "food freedom" that the Whole30 is about!

Tomorrow's D-29 for me because I started on the 13th, and I know Tuesday at midnight is it for me so Friday midnight has to be it for you guys :D

Still thinking very much about turning this into a W-LIFE thing with only a slip or 2, even though my daughter (w-30 partner) wants to meet me at 12:01 AM Wednesday for a celebration cocktail. Going through the Blogs about advice on the reintro process and would appreciate any advice you vets might have along these lines. Just 5 and a half more days and 6 minutes to go for you, YAY! 

Ahh you're so close to being done!!! How awesome!!

As far as reintroductions go, I have botched them both times I did this in the past by eating too many new foods in one day to determine just what made me feel crappy. Make sure to just take it one thing at a time. Plan to reintroduce one of the food groups that you took out with each meal on one day, and then give it two or three days to see how you feel after that before reintroducing another. Don't do like I did and have a piece of carrot cake on Easter that had sugar, grains and dairy, or BBQ sauce that had soy, wheat, and sugar, or go out anywhere that you don't know what's in the food still! Just be patient. :)

DAY 26 - 5 MORE DAYS!!

How is everyone doing?!

I actually have today as Day 25 - did I miscount somewhere? That would mean that Friday will be our last day, not Saturday.

Nope - you were right!! I was off a day. :)

I have skimped on my blog this week, but I'm staying compliant as we finish out the week. I really want that "30" in my #W30... 

As for abstinence vs. moderation, I totally get what you mean. I am one who is able to take in moderation, generally, but I feel like sometimes abstaining completely is the better option. There are free bagels and cream cheese in the break room right now, and I just passed up both, despite not having any alternatives for myself. I brought some pre-cooked chicken breasts to leave in the freezer here at work for lunches this week, and I'm going to go out for salads to go with them. Just 4 (3.5?) more days. :D

Jen, it's that "FREE" tag that is a big trigger for me as I have always been a value oriented person and the best price in the world is free. Yesterday I received a Savor The Summer promotion from a restaurant chain of more than 60 places in the Chicago area. I have gotten the same promotion in the past and have used it to make visits to several of the establishments in the same day for free drinks and menu selections. There may be compliant options at some of the places but cocktails have been what I have used them for the most. It could either be a great signal that my 30 ends today and I can go celebrate, or the challenge I need to overcome my many noncompliant behaviors of the past. 30 ends at midnight, and I am still on the fence whether I will have those 3 eggs with veggies tomorrow :unsure: 

Jenarra, way to go passing up the bagels!! I feel like once we hit this point, it's always easier to ignore the cravings because we are SO close, it just wouldn't be worth screwing it up this late in the game! We deserve to go all the way through. :)

TripleG, congratulations on completing your Whole30!!! Don't stress too much over your decision to continue or to take up that promotional offer; if you go off the rails and decide you don't feel good, you can ALWAYS jump back on the Whole30 train. (I've done 3 in 6 months!) It's all just about choices and knowing that YOU are in control, not the food!

Had my scale visit yesterday morning (but didn't miss it much) and lost 3.79% of my weight :) Did go Off-Plan seeing a movie yesterday afternoon, "The infiltrator", with some Cheese Popcorn. Had some GI distress last night and am ruling out popcorn in the future (of course it might have been the cheese or PUFA it was cooked in). Best thing that is going to stay with me is sticking with 3 mostly healthy meals a day with no snacking in between unless I have a low blood sugar crash as a Type 1 diabetic. The popcorn was only part of my lunch meal with beef, nuts and fresh veggies (the crunching may have bothered those sitting around me). Love to all of you for your last day and a half, and thanks for your support on my journey!

PS I give the film a semi thumbs up as a big Bryan Cranston Fan

Congratulations, TripleG!! Do you have other NSV's?!

I'm a huge Bryan Cranston fan, too, I'll have to put that one on my list for when I'm not a student anymore and have time to watch movies. :P

As for the rest of us -- it's our last day!!!! How are we all feeling?! :)

There were THREE DOZEN assorted donuts in the break room this morning. I searched and searched for my favorite - a *plain* cake donut. FOUND IT! And left it sitting there. Didn't want it. Saw it, mentally 'tasted' it, walked away. :D Not denying myself anything, I just really didn't want it.

Last day. And I didn't want my favorite donut.

I'm ready. 

Archived