Homemade Mayo & My Self-Image

splash883

I always use whole eggs..no sugar..extra light (flavored) olive oil and only 1 TBS of fresh lemon juice for the acid. I also throw in a 1/4 tsp cayenne and 1/4 tsp salt. And yeah, cover your ears when he speaks of bread, mayo and bucket lists. :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I failed on my first 3 batches of homemade mayo and had given up until I bought Well Fed. I do it in a regular blender and it splatters around so much, you can't see what it looks like till it's finished. When I took the lid off and saw how beautiful it was, I yelled a little! And it tasted soooo good. I immediately wanted to make it for my mom and sister in law.

I didn't think to post a picture on facebook, but my next batch I totally am. I don't know how I would be able to do the Whole 30 without the mayo, honestly.

I got so excited to show my mother how I made mayo that I forgot to use only egg yolks and used the whole egg - BUT it was still delicious, just a little runny and we made chicken salad :)

PS - next time add some basil and you'll feel accomplished AND fancy!

I always use the whole egg because the Mayo Whisperer Johnny said to. :) Mine is thick! I think the immersion blender is the magic trick.

Looking forward to the homemade ghee update slw600! I tried bone broth this weekend but it didn't gel up and from what I read it should be gelatinous for it to be really good and full of the minerals. I'm still going to use it though as I can't find beef broth at the store without crap ingredients.

I got so excited to show my mother how I made mayo that I forgot to use only egg yolks and used the whole egg - BUT it was still delicious, just a little runny and we made chicken salad :)

Speaking of fancy - this spice mix is delish mixed into mayo, or just sprinkled on hb eggs with mayo

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/shawarma-spice-blend/

Looking forward to the homemade ghee update slw600! I tried bone broth this weekend but it didn't gel up and from what I read it should be gelatinous for it to be really good and full of the minerals. I'm still going to use it though as I can't find beef broth at the store without crap ingredients.

Ghee production was halted because my daughter dropped by unexpectedly so we goofed around town together instead. It's on the docket for today though. I feel like I have to be alone in the house and able to fully concentrate on the bubbling cauldron. :)

Did It thicken up in the fridge? With everything at room temperature to start with, mine never seems super thick, but then it really firms up once it's cold.

The basil sounds good.

Ghee production was halted because my daughter dropped by unexpectedly so we goofed around town together instead. It's on the docket for today though. I feel like I have to be alone in the house and able to fully concentrate on the bubbling cauldron. :)

My 4 year-old came home from school and said they made butter this morning. It got me thinking about a new project for us... :D

I've made homemade mayo but never as good as the batch I made last week! This even looked like store-bought in the color and consistency! I use the whole egg, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp dry mustard. The oil I use is 1/2 c extra light olive oil and 1/2 cup avocado oil. I use an Immersion blender. I think the key this time was bringing the egg to room temperature first.

My husband made ghee this weekend. He cooked it too long. Will still use it as I'm not about to toss pastured raw butter but I was kind of bummed. So was he.

Good luck on the ghee Slw.

I too was very proud when I successfully made mayo - on my first try! Sadly, since then I've repeatedly failed. I tried this weekend w/ the immersion blender, but managed to mess that up too. I'm wondering if I blended it for too long? Could that cause it to fall apart?

I too was very proud when I successfully made mayo - on my first try! Sadly, since then I've repeatedly failed. I tried this weekend w/ the immersion blender, but managed to mess that up too. I'm wondering if I blended it for too long? Could that cause it to fall apart?

Did you follow the YouTube directions that I posted? Seriously, if you do, it will work every time. Just forget about the sugar and use light flavored olive oil instead of the nasty stuff he uses. I use 1.25 cups of olive oil to 2 eggs.

So how did you know he over cooked the ghee? Did it taste burnt?

Sorry for delayed response. It was very dark brown in color and it didn't settle this time like it did the last time (at the end). I think it had and he ignored/missed it and stirred it up instead of scooping the stuff off the top. It tastes fine, as far as I can tell.

Just started trying out Whole30 recipes and homemade mayo was first on my list. I am a pretty good cook but successfully making it on my first try made me feel like a million bucks. I cant believe how easy (and quick with an immersion blender) it was. Pretty grossed out I have eaten that store bought junk when homemade mayo was just a quick 5 minutes in the kitchen. I have since made some for my neighbor, sisters, parents - you name it, they are getting mayo.

Alert! Swelled head warning!

There'll be no living with me! If I thought making mayo was a huge accomplishment, I can't tell you how self-important I now feel having also made ghee, bone broth, and almond milk. The ghee looks just like the picture, the broth is gelling nicely, and the almond milk is delicious!

Sorry for delayed response. It was very dark brown in color and it didn't settle this time like it did the last time (at the end). I think it had and he ignored/missed it and stirred it up instead of scooping the stuff off the top. It tastes fine, as far as I can tell.

Mine is fairly dark. You don't need to scoop off the stuff from the top. Let it settle and brown (while stirring) because that is what causes the nutty browned flavor. I think he must have done it correctly or you would know. The browned milk solids sink to the bottom after you turn the heat off and then you strain it into your jar of choice. :)

Oh, and by the way...even though I ONLY think Kombucha is sort of good, I have to tackle that darn alian scooby do or whatever the heck it is so I can make my own. I did sort of feel like I was drinking an adult beverage when I had my one and only bottle a week ago. It was the GTs Gingerade. Not sure I have the brand name right, but the one everyone said to try. Now I have to try making that weirdo monsterous looking thing.

Archived