Homemade Mayo & My Self-Image

splash883

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's where you lose me. Not drinking liquid that's had an alien life form swimming around in it.

I'm with you. The taste was not so bad, but I couldn't get past all those slimy things floating in it.

I'll take Sassy Water any time.

I've made mayo a few times in my blender. Yesterday I decided to try the stick blender method. It is fantastically quick and easy. I had put everything in the jug and was adding the oil when I realised I was almost half a cup short of light olive oil. I was looking for something else to add to make up the amount and I found a bottle of hazelnut oil. I added it and the taste is amazing. The book does say that hazelnuts are a good source of monounsaturated fats so I take it it's ok to add some each time i make it now?

Yes, if the nuts are on the "good" list than so is the oil as long as it's 100%. I almost bought some avocado oil the other day and low and behold, it was avocado oil and canola oil. No wonder it was so expensive.

I did the same thing with Macadamia oil. I was a little short on olive oil, so I used my mac oil. It was delicious. Amazing how each mayo can be so different when you use different acids and different oils.

:D I followed the directions in the "It Starts With Food" recipe section. (I made it and it turned out great! I may go lighter on the salt next time, tho.)

I am a nerd.

Does anyone else feel a great sense of accomplishment when making something that you used to just go out and buy in the store? I had to laugh at myself. I told my husband, "Look! I just made mayo all by myself!!"

Thanks for listening to my goofines!

Kelsey

YES!!! I feel that way every time I make it. In fact, I still announce to whichever family members are near the kitchen that I'm about to make mayo. The kids always come and watch. I feel the same about our homemade salad dressings and tartar sauce (omg, if you haven't tried the tarter sauce in ISWF, you have to. It is the bomb!! I'm planning fish for this weekend just to get the tartar sauce).

YES!!! I feel that way every time I make it. In fact, I still announce to whichever family members are near the kitchen that I'm about to make mayo. The kids always come and watch. I feel the same about our homemade salad dressings and tartar sauce (omg, if you haven't tried the tarter sauce in ISWF, you have to. It is the bomb!! I'm planning fish for this weekend just to get the tartar sauce).

I so get this. I wait until my 27 YO daughter comes home from work so she can watch my 30 second mayo creation. I ignore the eye rolling. :)

Archived