W30.04

WholeDave

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 33 - great weekend in Sydvegas - mix of fun and relaxation plus we caught up with some friends on the way home yesterday. Food was a mix of different options - Friday night was lamb cutlets and salad, Saturday morning was a big breakfast plate, Saturday afternoon a beef kebab without the bread, Saturday night some chinese without the rice or sauces, yesterday another breakfast plate, some roast pork & veggies on the way home and last night nuts and fruit. 

All in all, a healthy weekend - perhaps a few questionable mouthfuls here and there but nothing overt. The most amusing one was eating the kebab at the football Saturday afternoon, peeling the bread away like a banana skin until it was down over my whole hand. People around me would have thought it looked a bit bizarre! :)

Day 34 - no food in the house after the weekend so breakfast was a very simple eggs & tomato. For lunch I picked up a piece of cooked chicken & sweet potato with an avocado and dinner was pork, a potato and cabbage salad. I went shopping after work so back to (mostly) normal today.

Thank you! - no nothing planned for reintroduction. I'm not missing grain or dairy and I get some sugar from fruit (which I try to limit and only with meals). We had a family birthday party last night and I comfortably said no thanks to a piece of cake. I could have off-roaded for that but I just didn't feel like it. My food stability is critical to me so when I'm this focused it seems to come naturally. If I start with one piece of cake it can lead to "just another piece" or something else with it - I have to be really diligent.

Day 35 - morning was a plate of eggs, tomato, mushroom, kale and a small amount of bacon. Lunch was a salad with avocado and tuna together with a mug of my (don't mind if I say so myself) excellent bone broth. We're right in the middle of winter and it's cold and looking like snow (this is the capital of Australia mind you!) so the bone broth was perfect for a gloomy day. Dinner was a laksa without the noodles. Some dates & pepitas plus a banana and a mandarine.

I'm wide awake again at 4am. Perfect time to catch up on work, my W30 log and what's going on in the world.

Day 36 - bit of a blur. Breakfast was home made cevaps (Macedonian sausages, made up well in advance, frozen and then thawed overnight) with eggs, and a tomato, mushroom, garlic, kale mix cooked well so it reduced a lot. Yeah nah - the kale mix was pretty average and the cevaps were a bit overcooked...oh well... :)

Lunch was frozen leftover minestrone (the potato doesn't like to be frozen - comes out a weird texture).

Dinner was my one of my new fave dishes - cos lettuce leaves filled with homemade guac (avo, garlic, lemon juice, s&p), grilled chicken breast strips (marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, s&p), and my Mexican concoction of onion, garlic, small cubes of sweet potato & a can of tomatoes with cumin, coriander, paprika, chilli & cinnamon. I cooked it on the stove but you could just as easily fry up the onion & garlic, put it all together and stuff it in the oven.

Day 37 - the sweet potato from the night before sat pretty heavy so I skipped breakfast (something I rarely do) and took a frozen minestrone with me to work which I ate about 10:30am. I finished off the last of the sweet potato and chicken at 2:30pm and finished the day with grain free sausages, potato and cabbage salad. Didn't eat much of the potato as I'm not finding it particularly interesting. 

At 37 days I'm wanting more results - still feeling overladen in the gut and back areas although I know it has reduced. My level of inflammation has decreased markedly and I generally feel a lot healthier. That said, it's a long hard slog - my fitness levels have improved somewhat but I really need to get back into more regular exercise. I always find it hard in the dead of winter but I'm hoping over the next few weeks that will start to change.

Day 38 - the resistance keeps getting stronger. Last night we had a "Christmas in July" social event after work and there were plenty of drinks, nibbles and pizzas flowing (not exactly Christmasy but anyways...). I helped prep the food, ran the bar for an hour so I could say hello to all my team and generally whooped it up. Except... I didn't have anything to eat or drink other than one Coke Zero. Now I realise Coke Zero is not W30 compliant but I reckon it was a pretty small trade-off for everything I didn't consume.

I felt like I was in a bubble - happy to prep and help but no inclination to have any of the food or drinks myself. I didn't salivate over the cheese, I didn't sniff the packet of potato chips...nothing. I have literally switched off that part of my brain that can crave that kind of food and alcohol. Which is fantastic, however, as I know from deep, painful experience, it can flick back on in an instant, and I'm back on the path to intensive consumption of all things bad for me. I have to be super vigilant at all times!

Breakfast was a plate of eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and some bacon. Lunch was a salad with the leftover cabbage slaw from the night before (yummm) with some toms, cucs etc plus a tin of tuna. I had a couple of leftover sausages in the afternoon and then dinner was a delicious piece of steak, salad & a potato.

I feel like I'm a bit "meat-ed" out this week. I'll stock up on fresh veggies over the weekend and get stuck in.

I felt like I was in a bubble - happy to prep and help but no inclination to have any of the food or drinks myself. I didn't salivate over the cheese, I didn't sniff the packet of potato chips...nothing. I have literally switched off that part of my brain that can crave that kind of food and alcohol. Which is fantastic, however, as I know from deep, painful experience, it can flick back on in an instant, and I'm back on the path to intensive consumption of all things bad for me. I have to be super vigilant at all times!

This is the thing that scares me, with my Whole30 ending next week. I'm worried I'll dive headfirst into foods I've successfully avoided for a month and go back to my bad habits, and being so vigilant is difficult. More power to you - that took a lot of strength on your part!

Staggolee, the good thing is that it wasn't strength I needed. I felt entirely comfortable. The switch is off. That's why I can continue W30 over long periods, my most successful being 207 days. But I struggle with getting off the road then back on quickly.

I share your worry with diving headfirst - why not keep rolling? I bet you feel so much better after nearly 30 days - could you keep it going and continue to feel the great results over a long period of time?

The W30 folk talk about not falling back into automatic consumption but that's easier said than done. While we might have the ability or "strength" to evaluate each off-roading and whether it is worth it, there's still a massive challenge for people who have that "flick-switching" moment from W30 focus to all consuming nosedive. That little voice in your head opens up and says" "yeahhh go for it, do it, don't worry about it". 

I don't have a simple answer - I think it lies somewhere between never giving yourself the opportunity to flick the switch, and being absolutely rigorous in ensuring each off-road possibility is thought out very carefully beforehand.

Day 39 - moved a ton of furniture and bits and pieces yesterday in a massive cleanout so now I'm sore all over! Good workout though and I managed not to hurt my back. 

Breakfast out was a green plate - kale, cauliflower, zucchini, pepitas, eggs. Delicious! Lunch on the run was a litre of coconut water (works brilliantly as a replacement for Gatorade), a can of tuna and a paleo bar. Then I had some salad stuff later in the afternoon followed by a piece of grilled kingfish, roast potatoes and salad. A few figs and some camomile tea and I was ready for bed at 9pm!

Day 40 - celebration day! Finally starting to feel like I'm making inroads. After more cleaning up yesterday morning, I went out for my first mountain bike ride in what must be over 3 years. I have a bunch of single track on a ridge not far from my place and it was sweet as! Half killed me of course - talk about not having a base level of fitness! Still it was a great start and something that I'm hoping to do periodically. I'd forgotten just how good it was to get into the bush and how awesome it is to finally come down the mountain through sweeping berms. I even managed to stay on the bike which was a bonus!

Breakfast was an egg & veggie stir fry. I then had an egg before I went out on my bike. After workout was a can of tuna, celery, avocado and carrot. I roasted a piece of pork with pumpkin, dutch carrots & asparagus for dinner. Didn't even touch the sides!!

Day 41 - feeling the effects of the furniture moving and the bike ride but I feel like I've got over it pretty quickly. Big veggie & egg stir fry in the morning, followed by leftover pork, roast pumpkin & carrot plus salad for lunch. Munched on a bit more pork and celery after work (which was late) and then didn't feel like cooking. Made a fatal mistake and decided to get local Lebanese take out - lamb, salad, tabbouli. While it was ok from a W30 perspective, it was awful, with awful service. Lazy never gets you anywhere!! I should have just panfried a bit of chicken. Oh well...

The W30 folk talk about not falling back into automatic consumption but that's easier said than done. While we might have the ability or "strength" to evaluate each off-roading and whether it is worth it, there's still a massive challenge for people who have that "flick-switching" moment from W30 focus to all consuming nosedive. That little voice in your head opens up and says" "yeahhh go for it, do it, don't worry about it". 

I don't have a simple answer - I think it lies somewhere between never giving yourself the opportunity to flick the switch, and being absolutely rigorous in ensuring each off-road possibility is thought out very carefully beforehand.

I love this dialogue.  For me, it could start with one pour of smokey Scotch.  A nice evening slowly sipping one may lead to another pour.  And then, since cheese is in my blood, the next day would be "why not open that 7 year cheddar that's calling to you from the fridge?"  An honest list perhaps of situations/foods/emotions that are acceptable and ones that aren't healthy choices may be something I need to give thought to.....

I love this dialogue.  For me, it could start with one pour of smokey Scotch.  A nice evening slowly sipping one may lead to another pour.  And then, since cheese is in my blood, the next day would be "why not open that 7 year cheddar that's calling to you from the fridge?"  An honest list perhaps of situations/foods/emotions that are acceptable and ones that aren't healthy choices may be something I need to give thought to.....

Jager - yes! I loved to sit at the bar in one of the spots in the Domain (glad to see another Austinite, by the way :)) and sip martinis while chatting with the bartenders. This was very relaxing for me, and it was something I did A LOT. I'm worried I'll go for "just one martini" and get carried away.

Day 42 - 6 weeks of W30 and feeling all the better for it! My hands have become substantially less inflamed as has my face, neck, shoulders etc. My torso is definitely getting better but it's still a long way to go.

Yesterday I went out for a 20 min walk after work - my first for this W30. Managed a little run at the end. But it's a start. A very positive start.

Breakfast was a veggie plate (piperki, tomatoes, kale, mushrooms) with eggs and bacon. Lunch was a noodle-less Vietnamese pho and dinner was home made san choy bow (onion, garlic, chilli, chicken mince, coconut amigos* and fish sauce) in lettuce cups. Scrum-diddly-umscious!  :D

Day 43 - breakfast was a nice change - an omelette with tomato and spring onion plus avo and cucumber on the side. Lunch was a salad with the last of the leftover pork but I was still hungry so I ducked up to the local supermarket where they roast meats & veggies and got a piece of chicken and a roast carrot. Dinner was a Macedonian veal dish, sarma (stuffed fermented cabbage leaves) plus veggies. It was a big food day!

Archived