W30.04

WholeDave

Day 44 - far too much meat! I'm a bit unorganised at the moment so leftovers have become a staple and meat has been the basis for most.

I had an early start so skipped breakfast and took the last of the san choy bow, some sarma and a frozen block of minestrone with me to work (Thai, Macedonian & Italian...err ok...). I ate the san choy bow at about 9:30am and then the sarma around lunchtime. I thawed the minestrone but didn't get to it. Dinner was takeaway Turkish (again) with friends who came around - I didn't get home until 7:30pm and had no time to prep anything. So again it was meat - chicken skewers, beef skewers etc plus some salad. All good W30 stuff but I feel like I've eaten a piece of concrete. I've still managed to drink a lot of water but man I need some veggies!

Heading down the coast for the weekend so I'm hoping for a surf, a walk/jog, some sun and lots of fresh healthy food.

I'm taking Vitamin D tablets at the moment too - I'm hardly seeing any sun given it's the middle of winter so I figure I could do with the boost.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 45 - it's a wild kind of day which means I think the coast is out of the question :( It was too crazy to travel safely down the mountain last night and it's not much better this morning. But there's always an upside - I can get back out on the mtn bike again after my successful jaunt last weekend*

Yesterday was a much better veggie day - veggie + egg stir fry for breakfast, salad & tuna for lunch together with minestrone soup, and then a thick chicken & veggie soup last night which turned out to be the bomb! Leek, carrot, celery, garlic sweated down until soft, chunks of chicken casserole pieces, a couple of bay leaves, salt & pepper, water and then a heap of ripped up kale towards the end. As we like to say in Australia, you little beauty!  :D

* Yes yes I note the irony here - won't travel down a sealed mountain road in a car but will take a bike out on to slippery single trail down the side of a ridge. :rolleyes:

Dave - I'm just back from hols & a self imposed internet/social media break & am SO glad to see you still going strong....

Can I just comment that the longer you go, the more natural it will feel to just keep on keeping on. I don't ever spontaneously off road these days, or feel the need to do so, or crave foods that I know don't work well for me, or even crave foods that DO work well for me but that I choose not to eat.

But when I DO choose to eat something out of my norm it's a conscious decision; one without guilt. I enjoy the moment and I move on. 

Life is not Whole365. Life is for living.

Day 46 - an awesome day of food and exercise. Breakfast was nitrate-free bacon & eggs with piperki, fresh tomatoes & cucumber. Lunch was the rest of the leftover sarma. Dinner was roast chicken winglets with coconut oil roast potatoes and an asian slaw of cabbage, red onion and carrot with a dressing of coconut amigos*, fish sauce and sesame oil. Splendid!

In between I was out again on the mountain bike, less pain this time because I found a way around the ridge rather than up it - that can come later when I'm fitter. It was pretty wild - lots of trees down, trails that were running streams. I came back looking like an 8 year old in a mud bath with a ridiculous grin. Good for the soul!  :D

This morning I am not so much off-roading as HSWYPO - my first attempt at cassava flour pancakes. We'll see how they go!

Welcome back J, hope you had a great break! I completely agree, my issue is with free falling. Whether it's spontaneous or planned, there are some triggers (alcohol at a celebration for instance) that can send me off the cliff in a flying suit rather than enjoying without guilt then moving on with whole living. It happened at the end of my 2nd W30 over Christmas and it's my biggest concern. 

Welcome back J, hope you had a great break! I completely agree, my issue is with free falling. Whether it's spontaneous or planned, there are some triggers (alcohol at a celebration for instance) that can send me off the cliff in a flying suit rather than enjoying without guilt then moving on with whole living. It happened at the end of my 2nd W30 over Christmas and it's my biggest concern. 

I'd wonder if there isn't some other trigger involved other than the alcohol.... a person, an emotion, a song, a location, a food (or lack of)... a combination of any of the above.... Pay attention and you'll soon figure it out  ;)

Day 47 - the cassava flour pancakes were excellent - the texture and taste is very similar to wheat flour and the particular brand (Otto's) doesn't have the grittiness of other cassava. Lunch was ripping pieces off a roast pork hock caveman style :) and dinner was Bigos or Polish Hunter's Stew from Mark's Daily Apple which was exceptional. However this morning the last thing I feel like is food so I'm just going to go with that until I get hungry.

Also went for a 2k walk which was a bonus.

Day 48 - the Polish Hunter's Stew sat heavy and I went without anything to eat all morning. Had a mug of bone broth at 11:30am then leftover chicken wings and asian slaw from Saturday. That kept me going until dinner which was a chicken stir fry. Throw in a banana, a handful of almonds, a few olives and a couple of figs and it was a light food day.

Definitely feeling lighter and more energetic. I think the Vitamin D supplement is helping - my research suggests that's possibly because it's boosting my immune system and I do appear to be eating less.

Day 49 - another clean day. I cooked some compliant beef & liver sausages for breakfast with eggs, mushrooms, peppers and tomato then had a simple salad + tuna for lunch. I finished off the sausages after work then dinner was roast pork spare ribs, potatoes and a raw salad of cauliflower & carrot which was delicious.

Day 50 - party time!!  B) After just over 7 weeks I'm full of spirit and buzz. Mental alertness has well and truly returned. Calm is the standard. I can't remember popping my cork once in 7 weeks so the blood pressure has been lower. And I'm funnier. More pranks, more Dad jokes. The world needs this! lols

Meanwhile yesterday consisted of a veggie stir fry, salad+tuna (and the leftover cauliflower & carrot), then re-heated chicken soup from the weekend with my daughter. What else? A banana, a handful of almonds, a few left over pieces of roast potato after work, a couple of figs.

I'm running a 3 hour business planning session this afternoon. Will need to keep appropriately fuelled and watered.

Day 51 - pushing the envelope with work this week - really looking forward to a bit of down time on the weekend. Breakfast was a plate of veggies, eggs & bacon. Lunch was the final bit of the chicken soup plus a chunk of sweet potato, chicken and an avocado. Dinner was lamb chops plus a potato and a mixture of mushrooms & zucchini pan fried. Weird but good.

The work planning session went well - managed to push the tiredness away which wasn't that easy. I was a bit grumpy too so had to work really hard to make sure that didn't come through to the team.

Day 52 - finally it's the weekend. Time for some serious R&R! Yesterday went quickly - I cooked some chicken thighs and then used one of them in my breakfast veggie stir fry. Lunch was salad+tuna and I then organised a baked bolognese sauce and zoodles for dinner. Extras were an apple, some figs and 7 almonds. Yes that's 7 :) I read about Obama contemplating the world while eating 7 almonds so if it works for him...... lols

Off to lunch and the football this afternoon. Obviously I will avoid the Australian tradition of beer and a meat pie. I'll prep with a few bits and pieces and plenty of water (which I am drinking buckets of...around 1-2 litres in the morning, another litre through the day and then a litre at night).

Day 50 - party time!!  B) After just over 7 weeks I'm full of spirit and buzz. Mental alertness has well and truly returned. Calm is the standard. I can't remember popping my cork once in 7 weeks so the blood pressure has been lower. And I'm funnier. More pranks, more Dad jokes. The world needs this! lols

I love this and so looking forward for myself! I'm just two weeks in and already notice the calm. I'm less irratable and and anxious and more loving toward the people I live with. Would love to be able see more humor in myself!

Keep it up! You're inspiring us all.

Are you going to 60 days .... Or indefinitely? I plan to go to 45, then do a reintro, then vacation, then another 30.

Day 53 - was in the Masterchef mood yesterday morning so I cranked out a veggie frittata. Half an onion, clove of garlic, red & yellow pepper, some smoked complaint sausage, a little bacon, 10 eggs, a few handfuls of spinach, s&p, a dusting of paprika, 18 mins in a reasonably hot oven. Wowee didn't even touch the sides!

Lunch was a souvlaki at the footy which was actually not bad. Possibly a bit of dairy in the "yoghurt sauce" but they had waved it across the top so nothing to see here move along  :D My footy friends watched with amusement as I carefully opened the bread and pinch-ate the contents. I even found a piece of tomato! lols. I then had my 7 Obama roast almonds and a couple of dried baby figs together with the ubiquitous 10 gallons of water. Great game, we handed out a thrashing and the three of us were in fine funny form.

Dinner was a t-bone on the cast iron skillet together with baked kipflers and a humungous salad.

Day 54 - excellent MTB ride yesterday which cleansed the heart and soul as well as the legs.

Pre-WO was a piece of frittata, post-WO a bowl of leftover baked bolognaise and a couple of date & almond rolls. Not entirely perfect but did the trick. Lunch was a couple of mouthfuls of chicken on the run with some celery and a yellow pepper.

By dinner I was starving - roast pork ribs in olive oil & salt, pumpkin, corn & these weird little things which are a cross between kale and brussel sprouts. Baked with olive oil, salt & fresh chilli. Not half bad.

I made dessert as a treat - grilled figs & a nectarine all the way from the US of A with a sauce of warmed honey, coconut oil and cinnamon. Oh man that did the trick! Off road with the honey? Yes. Planned? Yes. Issues? None :)

Day 55 - pretty straight forward day although I did feel the hungers from my ride yesterday. Breakfast was a veggie stir fry, lunch was salad+the last of the pork ribs, a banana, an apple. After work was the last of the frittata, then dinner was a chicken stir fry. The mini meal after work was much needed - I was starving. 

By dinner I was starving - roast pork ribs in olive oil & salt, pumpkin, corn & these weird little things which are a cross between kale and brussel sprouts. Baked with olive oil, salt & fresh chilli. Not half bad.

In the US we call them kale sprouts! I fell in love with them last winter, I hope I see them again soon.

Day 56 - veggie plate with eggs & bacon for breakfast. For early lunch a bowl of the Polish Hunter's Stew which I had defrosted, for 2nd lunch a bowl of "beet bourguignon" from a local cafe (beets, onions, mushrooms, really quite lovely) and dinner was home made kevaps and cabbage & olive salad. Extras were a couple of olives, a banana and a stick of celery. Not necessarily all at the same time :huh:  

Busting to get out in the air and sky again but I've been super busy and it's been rainy and cold so it will have to wait for the weekend when I'm down the coast. Contemplating taking my mtb bike or going for a big hike.

Day 56 update - suffering a bit today. Veggie stir fry for brekkie, salad+tuna for lunch, plus a banana and an apple. However, I was starving this afternoon so I've nailed an avocado and a small can of sardines. However I've realised that apart from the beetroot at lunch yesterday, I haven't had any complex carbs since the pumpkin on Sunday night....

Archived