Orange juice

molecules92

• Moderators

Juice is not for drinking straight. It, like many things, are technically compliant (assuming the label is) but it is not recommended. Drinking juice is going to spike your blood sugar excessively in addition to not providing you with much nutrients.  Your results will be a direct result of your investment in the process... drinking juice goes against what we want for you during this 30 days.

• Moderators

Here is the relevant rule: 

• Fruit juice as a sweetener. Some products or recipes will include fruit as a sweetener, which is fine for the purposes of the Whole30. (We have to draw the line somewhere.)

If you drink the juice, you are not using it as a sweetener. You would be violating the Whole30 rules. Don't do it. 

I used to loooove orange juice. I drank a glass of it every morning for probably 25 years! When I did my first Whole30 I switched to eating a whole orange with my breakfast. That was fine, but I eventually switched to a banana instead. I'm pleased to say I don't miss the orange juice at all. Without all the extra sugar and sweeteners in your diet, your taste buds eventually change.

• Administrators

I am going to be starting whole30 for the first time soon and have a question regarding this. Can I use a little bit of fruit juice to sweeten plain iced tea?

You sure can!  A splash of compliant juice into water (or unsweet tea) is fine.  Make sure that you are also drinking at least half an ounce of plain, clear water per pound of bodyweight.  The oj/tea combo should be "special" and not the bulk of your fluid consumption.

• 2 years later...
On 6/14/2016 at 2:51 PM, ladyshanny said:

You sure can!  A splash of compliant juice into water (or unsweet tea) is fine.  Make sure that you are also drinking at least half an ounce of plain, clear water per pound of bodyweight.  The oj/tea combo should be "special" and not the bulk of your fluid consumption.

Which brands are compliant? I'm tired of juicing them myself :(

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Miss Alfaro said:

Which brands are compliant? I'm tired of juicing them myself :(

You'll have to go read labels on the ones available in your store. It should be pretty easy to find one that is compliant, as most companies don't add a lot of stuff to orange juice. 

Archived