Anyone just starting? Would love a buddy for my second W30!

Dcpink

I'm starting my first W30 today! I would love to have a buddy also - so hey buddy!  :) Hopefully you can provide some good tips too being your 2nd round. How long ago was your first round? Were you happy with it? 

I'm a little nervous but determined. Let's go! 

Hi guys it's the start of my journey too! Had chicken soup for breakfast (!), now that's a first... Have ordered sugar free bacon from the butcher. Feeling good on day one. God help me!!! Have tried a lot of different things over the last 25 years to rein in the old sugar intake. Never achieved it. This course really resonates with me and I'm hoping this will be the time it works!

Rigby123 you asked about my first W30. It was the May, so I just finished. I can't say I saw any great success and I was COMMITTED!!!! So I was discouraged but I want to try again and make sure I'm not letting something slip without being aware, plus, I didn't do proper reintros. I was so discouraged I just dove into some processed treats. :(.

I made the mistake of eating "crap" last night knowing today was a restart and unfortunately I'm paying for it today because I've felt awful--like I'm hungover and I didn't even drink!!!! Lol!!!

My meals:

B:

2 eggs, salmon, avo

L:

Qdoba Naked burrito with chicken, veggies, salsa and guac

Snack:

Banana, coffee w coc cream

D:

2 servings ground beef, green beans, sweet pot.

Feel awful. Shouldn't have had as much of the beef :(

Hey Banjolele! Hey Dcpink! Excellent, honest opinion - thanks for that. I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted out of the first try, but how awesome is it that you are hopping right back on? 

I started mid-week because I was out of town for work earlier this week, and I tried to eat fairly clean while traveling (which is hard!) in order to hopefully make the next few days not suck so much.

I think I did good today:

B - 1/2 avocado, 3 boiled eggs, few cubes of watermelon and mango

L - Ground turkey, steamed broccoli, raw carrots and cherub tomatoes, olives

Snack - closed hand-size of raw almonds and a green apple

Pre-WO (I do strength training at a gym with a trainer 2 days a week) 1 boiled egg

Post-WO 1/2 sweet potato and small serving of ground turkey

D - More ground turkey, spinach, tomatoes, homemade pico, 1/2 avocado in a bowl

I did a lot more veggie chopping and chicken cooking this evening, so hopefully tomorrow I'll have more variety besides almost a pound of ground turkey! :) 

My biggest fear revolves around the working out - I had been doing a protein shake and creatine after each session so we'll see how it goes without. FYI I am a lady, so it's not like I'm doing major bodybuilding or anything :) Wanted to clarify since that sounds kind of manly! 

Hey dcpink I so admire you sticking at it and giving it another go! Hope you get more out of it this time round. So did you notice any positives from your first time? Skin, concentration, losing sugar cravings? You know, stuff like that??

• Moderators

Rigby123 you asked about my first W30. It was the May, so I just finished. I can't say I saw any great success and I was COMMITTED!!!! So I was discouraged but I want to try again and make sure I'm not letting something slip without being aware, plus, I didn't do proper reintros. I was so discouraged I just dove into some processed treats. :(.

I made the mistake of eating "crap" last night knowing today was a restart and unfortunately I'm paying for it today because I've felt awful--like I'm hungover and I didn't even drink!!!! Lol!!!

My meals:

B:

2 eggs, salmon, avo

L:

Qdoba Naked burrito with chicken, veggies, salsa and guac

Snack:

Banana, coffee w coc cream

D:

2 servings ground beef, green beans, sweet pot.

Feel awful. Shouldn't have had as much of the beef :(

Good job completing a whole30! I'm sorry you didn't see the results you wanted, but hopefully you can figure out how to make this one better.

One thing I'm sure you've realized is that it's really difficult to eat in restaurants without doing a ton of planning and asking lots of questions, and maybe you did that, but I'd be very surprised if qdoba's chicken is truly whole30, Just because it is so hard to find any that is in restaurants. For chain restaurants and some independent ones as well, google the name of the restaurant plus the word allergens and you'll often find a report listing some of the major allergens like peanuts and soy and dairy, which gives you a good starting point. Even if you find that list and there are no allergens listed in a particular food, remember that there still could be sugar or other sweeteners, so you still have to ask questions, but it often let's you rule out items that might have seemed OK at first glance.

As far as your meals, your breakfast could use vegetables, and if you're truly hungry between meals and need to eat, try to have a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables.

Hey Katie! Would love to be one of your buddies! I'm fifty, female and living in NZ. A few days before I started I decided to act as if I was already doing it. So I did a three day meal plan and shopped and cooked as if I had already started but was still eating the sweet stuff (sugar being my personal nemesis/best friend all rolled into one!). I felt a bit scared and intimidated about starting so still wanted my sugar crutch as I negotiated the starting process. Well I'm glad I did. The meal planning took me awhile, the shopping took me awhile, the prep cooking took me awhile, and it all took more mental energy than I had anticipated so to still have my sugar crutch on hand worked for me. After a couple of days (again, before I actually started) I got into the swing of it a bit and I thought 'yup, I can do this!'. The when it came to day one I just felt really excited. Cripes that was just yesterday! Feels further away than that! And yesterday was grand. I'm really looking forward to getting to know my whole30 'gang' and travelling this road together. Good luck to you Katie!

What's up everybody! I'm 30, live in NY, and looking to develop a much healthier relationship and appreciation for food. I'm starting on Monday the 13th, which coincides with the start of a new job. Tons of life changes so I'm pretty apprehensive about it all, but really fired up and motivated to see this through. Would love to buddy up with the folks starting this week!

Banjolele, I think the only thing I can say I noticed was a decrease in sugar cravings which is great!!!! My energy level was still really low-was soooo hoping to find that energy surge so many talk of. I take really good care of my skin so it tends to be in pretty good condition already.

After reading Shannon's response I'm wondering if it may have been all the restaurant foods--I really didn't ask questions or ask anything special other than asking for oil and vinegar for salads.

Is it possible they cook the sweet potatos in something that isn't W30 compliant? And the steaks? Should I assume they're not W30 unless I make a special request?

If you would like a buddy, I need one too! This is my first time. I started yesterday morning. However I never read the template till last night. I feel like I over ate yesterday. Needless to say, I was eating till I was full. Do you have any suggestions on how to eat more greens?

I have graves disease that really bums me out. In more ways than one. I am really hoping this lifestyle change helps.

I'm now on Day 4 and still feeling pretty good! The hardest thing so far has been nighttime cravings. I'm so used to having some chocolate and/or ice cream after dinner, so that's going to be the hardest habit to break, I think. I've started brushing my teeth immediately after dinner, hoping that will prevent me from wanting to eat anything else.

Eating in restaurants makes me nervous, DCPink! I was at a conference for work on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I let them know about my dietary restrictions. The first day they gave me a piece of sliced turkey wrapped in a piece of lettuce for lunch - ha! No way that was going to fill me up! So, I ate that AND the lunch that I brought with me. On Wednesday they did much better: grilled chicken and roasted potatoes and asparagus. I was slightly concerned that the potatoes and asparagus might have butter on them, but I specifically said "no butter," so I threw caution to the wind and ate it anyway. It's crazy how hyper-aware I am now of the ways that the non-compliant ingredients can be snuck in to my meals. So, if nothing else, my W30 will make me much more conscious of how food is prepared and what impact that can have on my health.

KT1030, welcome!  Glad you're feeling good, especially on day 4... that day is usually one of my hardest.  It's a good call to brush your teeth, I also make sure to have some water with citrus in it.  You could also try eating a serving of something starchy for dinner, like sweet potatoes, with coconut oil and cinnamon stirred in,  For me, it's a good long term fat and energy source, and it's sweet and savory and helps me a lot with cravings after dinner. Hopefully it will help you too!

Eating out can be hard, for sure.  Have you checked out the resource they have on that?  I found it helpful and it might give you some peace of mind as you navigate all the uncertainties of eating prepared food.  A nice salad with olive oil and unseasoned chicken breast is usually a good fall back, with the usual "no cheese/croutons/dressings" addage.

And psssshhhhhhhh to a piece of turkey with lettuce... da heck kinda meal is that?!  Glad they gave you some real food the next day :-)

This is my third Whole30, and while I am no expert I am happy to answer questions or provide insight to my own experiences.  We'd be a good buddy team!

Banjolele, I think the only thing I can say I noticed was a decrease in sugar cravings which is great!!!! My energy level was still really low-was soooo hoping to find that energy surge so many talk of. I take really good care of my skin so it tends to be in pretty good condition already.

After reading Shannon's response I'm wondering if it may have been all the restaurant foods--I really didn't ask questions or ask anything special other than asking for oil and vinegar for salads.

Is it possible they cook the sweet potatos in something that isn't W30 compliant? And the steaks? Should I assume they're not W30 unless I make a special request?

Hi DCpink, hope your energy level is coming back up.  What day are you on?  I honestly don't usually see much of a difference until well into week 2.  My "I Just Want a Nap" phase is pretty grueling, I hope you're not like me on that!

Regarding restaurants, I always default to "No" unless I ask a lot of clarifying questions and make sure that I know they understand my needs.  Definitely possible that the steak had a seasoning with sugar, flour or MSG and sweet potatoes might have had the same problem or a non-compliant oil, I've run into that before and it is so frustrating.  I'd also ask to make sure the balsamic doesn't have sugar/sulfites, etc. I usually use a script saying that I have "allergies" or "sensitivities" and then list them out and make the server check into all of them for me. I don't mind being "that girl". Restaurants are hard, I'm sure you did your best and you'll get the hang of what questions to ask.

Archived