Source of soy in tuna?

rebbeca

The can of tuna fish I was going to eat for dinner contains: tuna, water, vegetable broth, salt, and sodium pyrophosphate. The label also says says contains fish and soy. Obviously if it contains soy it's off limits and I'll have to find a different source during Whole 30, but anyone know where the soy comes from? Is it in the vegetable broth?

Annoyed that I have to find an alternate source now. Anyone know of a brand of tuna that doesn't cost a fortune but also doesn't contain soy?

• Moderators

I looked at maybe 30 varieties of tuna in a big grocery store and found 3 that were compliant. None of them were popular brands, but I bet you can find something in a big store. The compliant ones were not the most expensive, although they were not the cheapest either. 

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll look for something compliant next time I'm out. The tuna I have is from pre Whole 30 and I'm SO glad I checked the label before I made it. Eating a leftover frittata and big salad tonight instead!

• Moderators

Must be different in Canada because I hardly EVER run into soy in tuna... in fact when I first heard about it on these boards I was so stunned I went to the grocery store and checked all our brands... all clean!

Must be different in Canada because I hardly EVER run into soy in tuna... in fact when I first heard about it on these boards I was so stunned I went to the grocery store and checked all our brands... all clean!

Same in the UK, tinned tuna is just tuna and water/ oil/ brine.

Archived