Hands and feet swell

srp1777

This is a problem I have always had, but thought someone might be able to shed some light on the subject.

When I work out, my hands and feet swell and it can take 12 to 24 hours before it goes down. I went for a walk/hike last night and my hands are still slightly swollen. I have never been able to figure out what is causing it and I figured it would stop once I got my diet completely cleaned up, but I am on day 23 and it is still happening.

I have tried both increasing and decreasing my sodium intake with no luck. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have experienced this for as long as I can remember. When I played volleyball, I would only have one swollen hand from hitting. So one normal and one chubby...not cute!

I do find that keeping well hydrated helps...but doesn't totally eliminate the problem. I have also found that in the summer, my fingers will swell more than in the winter.

Sorry I'm not more helpful on this...just wanted you to know you are not alone!

• 4 weeks later...

This happens to me quite a bit especially when I walk outside. It doesn't happen in the gym. I always want to hold my hands above my head when I walk (yeah, cute look), but it does seem to go away fairly soon after I get back.

This happens to me too when I walk, but not when I run. So annoying! I have noticed a bit of improvement after 3-4 months paleo, but still happens to some extent.

See..when you run, your blood circulates faster and your hands are typically up higher than when walking. Oh Hardy Boys..we are onto something. :)

Yeah good point, makes sense! When I walk long distances it's usually cause I'm hiking or on vacation somewhere, usually carrying a backpack or camelbak, and I've gotten into the habit of slinging my thumbs around the strap near my chest/shoulders because it slows the swelling.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have adrenal fatigue from a history of poor nutrition or overtraining (or a myriad of other causes - see sock-doc.com for more info) your electrolyte balance can be out of whack and take months to recover. That happened to me - I was and often still am always thirsty no matter how much I drink as the wrong balance means the fluid you need doesnt get absorbed where your cells can use it.

Archived