Another Summer Whole30

Corimac

So- let's try this again.... 

I've successfully completed a few Whole30's and feel great each time and know my body functions so much better on real whole foods. But somehow I revert back to terrible eating habits each time. Today- I'm heavier than I've been in 10 years and fallen out of physical shape. I'm going on vacation on day 28, on the road for two days and then at our family summer lake house so I'll have plenty of access to my own food. I've been trying to start for a few months but really just lacked the energy and motivation to get going.I don't typically like "breakfast foods" so my meal one is usually just something ready to go or left-over.

I spent a few hours prepping yesterday and I'm stockpiled with: 

-6 grab and go meals in the fridge for breakfast and lunch

-meatballs in the freezer for quick grab and go lunch options

-chili in the freezer for dinner later this week

-stuffed peppers in the freezer for later

-a smoked turkey breast for dinner tonight

-a bag of chopped salad

-balsamic dressing

-almond milk

I really enjoy meal prepping and haven't done it in a long time and it feels great to be ready to go for the week. One of my preps was a beet salad and green bean salad. I've never tried this before and I'm in love. My husband hates beets so I don't make them often but I found some beautiful gold beets at Whole Foods and remembered how much I love them! 

Sunday, 6/12/16

Day 1

M1- Ground Turkey with marinara sauce

roasted zucchini and peppers

olives

iced coffee with almond milk

M2- Lettuce wrapped burger with a ridiculous amount of mustard

carrots, celery and radishes

LaCroix 

cherries

M3- Meatballs with marinara

Roasted broccoli

lots of bites of roasted veggies and beets while meal prepping
       watermelon

I'd like to follow along! I'm the exact same as you! I've done several (including a W100) and I feel so much better when I do them, but I'm either on a W30 or I'm off the rails. I seem to have no inbetween. I've been trying to "eat better" for a few months now, but without the strict rules, I'm not capable of making good decisions. I have to be an abstainer. It sucks, but it's the way I am.

So I'm along for the ride. I start tomorrow officially!

Woke up ready to go early today but didn't get out of bed and slept for another hour and then had a tough time getting out of bed. (next time just get the heck up, eh?) I was dragging and not ready for Monday but once I got out of the house and to work I felt ready to go. 

M1- salmon

roasted beet and green bean salad

iced coffee w almond milk

M2- roasted chicken with tomatoes

roasted vegetables

olives

cherries 

M3-smoked turkey

chopped salad 

half an avacado

Hi Whole Mama- glad to have someone to follow along with. Wow! congrats on your 100- I did three 30+'s in a row with a weekend off in between but never 100 in a row. I'm with you- I either tend to be all in or all out and I'm frustrated with myself because the way depending how I'm eating is night and day. 

Yes- I do make my own because of the questionable ingredients in most commercial almond milks. It's really pretty easy to make and it tastes great. I only use almonds and water. I buy Chameleon Iced Coffee Concentrate and drink it with the almond milk. I know some discourage almond milk but the iced latte keeps me sane. If I'm drinking hot coffee though- I prefer it black. Not a huge fan of the almond milk hot.

Hi Whole Mama- glad to have someone to follow along with. Wow! congrats on your 100- I did three 30+'s in a row with a weekend off in between but never 100 in a row. I'm with you- I either tend to be all in or all out and I'm frustrated with myself because the way depending how I'm eating is night and day. 

Yes- I do make my own because of the questionable ingredients in most commercial almond milks. It's really pretty easy to make and it tastes great. I only use almonds and water. I buy Chameleon Iced Coffee Concentrate and drink it with the almond milk. I know some discourage almond milk but the iced latte keeps me sane. If I'm drinking hot coffee though- I prefer it black. Not a huge fan of the almond milk hot.

Totally understand!! I think I'm going to make some of my own almond milk. I live off of iced coffee in the summer and it's nice to have something to put in it to change it up.

Here's how today ended up going down:

Day 2

M1-salmon

roasted beet and green bean salad

Iced coffee with almond milk

M2- roasted chicken with tomato sauce

roasted summer squash and peppers

Olives

A few cherries

LaCroix

M3- smoked turkey

Chopped salad w/balsamic vinaigrette

Sliced tomato with basil

Half an avacado

Half a peach

Walked 20 minutes and lifted and walked the stairs on my breaks at work

I made it through the day despite a few snafus. I packed an avacado to eat with my lunch but couldn't find it when I got to work. Did it fall out in the car? Is it in the black depths of my purse/bag I carry to work every day and I just can't see it? Did it just roll away? Turns out I'd just forgotten it on the counter but it was frustrating until I remembered I had a jar of olives in the fridge at work so no biggie...

Then I got to the gym at lunch only to figure out I forgot my sports bra so my run turned into a walk and I lifted and and went back to work in my sweaty bra but hey- I got what I could in.

Had a headache right before the gym but it went away quickly after I worked out and ate lunch. I was so relieved to have dinner all prepped and ready to go pretty quick tonight. Must remember to continue to meal prep!!!

Got my run in this morning despite the rain

Day 3

M1- salmon

beet and green bean salad

a few avocado slices

iced coffee with almond milk

M2- beef green onion roll ups

Avacado, cucumber

Iced passion tea

M3- roasted chicken in tomato sauce

chopped salad with balsamic dressing

beet salad

avocado

Mixed fresh fruit

Ran this morning and walked the dog and took two "stair walk breaks" at work today.

Felt good most of the day but had a headache around 3. I'm sure it was a sugar/hi carb withdraw headache. My allergies are crazy tonight after a trip to the vet with my dog. They have pet cats at the clinic we use and I'm pretty allergic. Took some Benedryl and hoping for a good nights sleep.

Planning to keep an eye out for the blackberry cucumber LaCroix. That sounds great!

Ugh- today was rough. Thank goodness I had my meals ready to go because I lacked motivation to do anything. I skipped out on my dog this morning and she didn't get a walk and every task at work felt like a chore. I did force myself to walk the stairs and go to yoga but had to talk myself into it. It is hot, humid, and oppressive here and I hate every minute of this kind of weather.

Day 4

M1

Salmon

Beet and green bean salad

Avocado

Iced latte

M2

Roasted chicken in tomato sauce

Roasted carrots, parsnips and broccoli

Black olives

LaCroix

M3

Lettuce wrapped burger

Chopped Salad

Guacamole

A few plantain chips

Watermelon

Walked the stairs during work breaks and yoga.

Day 5

M1

Smoked turkey

Guacamole

Iced latte

M2

Roasted carrots, parsnips and broccoli

Black olives

M3

Chicken Sausage

Cooked cabbage and onions with ghee

Watermelon

Ran and walked the dog this morning and went to the gym at lunch (mile run + lift).

Walked the stairs at work. 29 flights total for the day!

I had a weird moment where I really just wanted a piece of gum while driving home from work. I have a habit of regularly chewing gum especially in the car. I focused on drinking my water and forgot about it but thought that was a weird thing to crave-

I had plenty of energy today. Two things I'm very thankful for today: iced coffee and air conditioning!

Day 6

Always love summer Fridays since I only work half day. Hit the gym for a Pilates class at noon and came home shaky, tired, and hungry. I took a nap after I ate and felt much better. Prior to this week I was really slacking on my daily exercise so I'm thinking the week caught up with me.

M1

Ground turkey with tomato sauce

Roasted zucchini

Olives

Iced coffee

M2

2 chicken apple sausages

Cooked cabbage

A few bites of roasted broccoli (while I was cooking- I was starving)

Plantain chips just a few

Guacamole

M3

Lettuce wrapped turkey burger

Avocado

Cherries

Went to one of our favorite burger places for dinner and I planned on eating a more veggies when I got home but didn't feel hungry so I grabbed a handful of cherries and called it good.

Walked the dog this morning walked the stairs at work (23 flights) and Pilates. I was discouraged during the Pilates class because I'm out of shape. I'm determined to keep at it and get stronger each week!

Day 7

Saturday

Stayed compliant but I did snack have a snack this afternoon. Not sure if I needed the snack or if it was because its the weekend and I just felt like I needed it. Going to try to curb that going forward.

M1

Salmon patties

Poached egg

Roasted carrots, parsnips, celery

Iced coffee

M2

Ribs

Salad

Green beans

Snack

Guacamole with plantain chips

Cherries

M3

Stuffed peppers

Summer squash and onions

LaCroix

More cherries (yikes)

Long walk with the dog this morning another short one in the evening. Went overboard on the fruit because the Ranier cherries were so good and my stomach is a bit upset tonight. Plan to go much easier on the fruit here on out...

Day 8

Sunday

M1

2 stuffed peppers

Ate one before my run and one after

Iced latte

M2

Guacamole

Plantain chips

LaCroix

M3

Prime rib

Chopped salad with roasted veggies added

Balsamic dressing

Ran early and then walked the dog. We went to a family dinner at my Sil's house for Father's Day. She made prime rib with lots of non compliant sides so I came prepared with my ziplock of dressed chopped salad in my purse. I was able to be pretty inconspicuous making my plate with my own salad. Win :)

I also did about 2 hours of meal prep. I made many of the same things as last week because I liked them all so much so I'm afraid my food log will stay pretty boring. I made 8 packed up meals to grab and go for breakfast and lunch and we'll cook dinner each evening.

This week I prepped:

Salmon

Roasted chicken with fire roasted tomatoes

Beet green bean salad

Lots of roasted veggies

Meatloaf (freezer for dinner later this week)

Big ziplock of chopped salad

Cauliflower carrot mash

Mayo

Balsamic Dressing

Day 9

Monday

I'm amazed how Whole30 spills over into other aspects of my life. I'm generally more productive and better at little things like flossing every day. Definitely a welcomed side effect.

M1

Salmon

Iced coffee

M2

Roasted chicken and tomatoes

Roasted zucchini, carrots and peppers

Half an avocado

Chopped salad

M3

Cauliflower and carrot mash

Greek salad w/ olives

Watermelon

Walked the dog, went to the gym at lunch and walked/lifted, and lunch break stair walks 33 flights total.

Day 10

Tuesday

Kind of tired of logging but I really think that is what has kept me on track in the past so I'll drudge on with my same old, same old meals...

M1

Salmon

Iced coffee

M2

Roasted zucchini, carrots and peppers

Half an avocado

Chopped salad

M3

Salmon patties

Sautéed, shredded Brussel sprouts

A few olives

Watermelon

Walked the dog, skipped my run because my back was tweaky, and lunch break stair walks 33 flights total.

Even though I'm eating a lot of the same things day after day it's working for me and I enjoy not overthinking what I'm going to eat. I've been switching up my dinners and that seems to be enough variety for me.

Day 9

Monday

I'm amazed how Whole30 spills over into other aspects of my life. I'm generally more productive and better at little things like flossing every day. Definitely a welcomed side effect."

I noticed the same thing - the little things add up! Flossing, turning off the computer early to read a book instead, walking to do errands, etc.

Well- I've fallen off the logging wagon but the good news is I've stayed on track with my eating and exercise so I guess that's what's important. 

The weekend was quite smooth and included a family barbecue. We smoked a brisket and a turkey breast. We would normally include sugar in the rub and brine but it was fine without it and I don't think anyone even noticed. The only problem was there wasn't as much left over as I'd hoped. I also spent about 3 hours Sunday completing my life-saving meal prep and I've got 8 meals all ready to grab and go for breakfast and lunch this week and have some of the dinner prep ready to go. 

Here's how today will go down: 

M1

Salmon patty

chicken apple sausage

deviled egg

roasted carrots, green beans, celery

iced coffee

M2

roasted chicken with tomato sauce

roasted carrots and broccoli

olives

cherries