In the Navy, ship food not compatible

Hey, so I've failed a couple times b/c I'm in the Navy and my ship will go out to sea for a couple days/weeks and you don't exactly have choice in the mess line. Rice is served at every meal (and yes, they have breakfast rice). Any way I could make this work? I won't have a span of 30 days on land until next year and I don't want to wait that long. Is there any

So far, I've tried salads with protein on them every day, but then they run out of just plain olive oil and the dressings they provide aren't Whole30. I guess I could bring my own oil, but no refrigerator is available. I tend to hit a point where the food just makes me sad or I HAVE to eat something non-Whole30 due to no other options. Salads just don't do it for me all the time. Any dry goods I could bring to help?

• Moderators

Hey, so I've failed a couple times b/c I'm in the Navy and my ship will go out to sea for a couple days/weeks and you don't exactly have choice in the mess line. Rice is served at every meal (and yes, they have breakfast rice). Any way I could make this work? I won't have a span of 30 days on land until next year and I don't want to wait that long. Is there any

So far, I've tried salads with protein on them every day, but then they run out of just plain olive oil and the dressings they provide aren't Whole30. I guess I could bring my own oil, but no refrigerator is available. I tend to hit a point where the food just makes me sad or I HAVE to eat something non-Whole30 due to no other options. Salads just don't do it for me all the time. Any dry goods I could bring to help?

I agree with Tom that it is not really reasonable to attempt a Whole30 at this stage of the game, however there are things you can do... if you can find Tessamae dressings, they don't need to be refrigerated so you can keep them in your bunk with you... try getting as many grilled veggies as possible to help your salads... salad is boring and not altogether that filling unless you're eating a wheelbarrow full so you may actually be doing yourself a disservice in the service by only eating salads... If rice doesn't bother you too much, I'd eat that over pasta or bread products which are more likely to cause a reaction in people... it's hard to know what you're going to react to without doing the full 30 days and re-intro but you can make some pretty educated guesses based on what is reported as the MOST problematic... 

• 1 month later...

You said no refrigeration. They must have one on the ship. Can you ask them to store and use some things you bring on board? I know you could not bring a lot, but maybe the coconut oil, compliant bacon or sausage, and a few other things?

Archived