Day 14 and struggling

zleichty

Ok so I'm on day 14 of my first whole30. I know I know I know - we aren't supposed to weigh ourselves except for before and after but I couldn't help myself and just wanted to peek and see if I had made any progress. I was extremely disappointed when I discovered I had lost no weight and am now really discouraged in finishing the program. I've been compliant with all the steps and follow the guides. I thought I would've seen some results by now? Any advice or support to finish would be much appreciated.

hi going healthy - try to focus on how you feel and not your weight at all. i'd say think about energy levels, moods, anything other than weight. whole30 isn't really for weightloss. some will lose weight, some won't, depending on how you were eating before and depending on how much and what exactly you're eating on whole 30. I don't know your body or what you're eating, but I can understand the desire to lose weight. for me personally i would like to lose weight. i know that compensating for my snack urges by eating nuts and fruit is preventing me from losing weight right now. Check in with your plan and if you're eating things other than veggies and protein, you may examine/cut back on those. but still, bodies are always fighting to maintain weight and it can definitely take more than 2 weeks to get your body to process foods in a way that it starts to burn fat rather than carbs, which is when more weightloss would occur. i hope i'm not saying anything unsupportive. definitely see a doctor if you are experiencing abnormal weight gain. tell us more about your routine and maybe there will be more to say. curious myself. 

thanks for your reply janisvogel! that was helpful! I'm 21 and just recently graduated from college. That being said I ate like a college student - a lot of fast food, sweets, and alcohol. I gained a lot of weight over this past year and can't seem to lose it. My mom suggested we give this whole30 a try together so we can support one another. Normally in the morning I have a piece of fruit or eggs and some coffee with a splash of almond milk (unsweetened). Then for lunch I'll have a salad and normally grilled chicken. I don't use dressing except maybe some balsamic and vinegar or oil. For dinner I have meat, veggies, and maybe some roasted potatoes. I definitely have been snacking on nuts and probably eating too much fruit so that might be hindering my progress. I do "feel" better energy and mood so that is great but I read in the book that most people loose at least some weight, ya know?

It sounds to me like you're not eating enough. Are you familiar with the recommended meal template of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg, and a generous serving of fat? This is how you should eat, three times a day, the first within an hour of wakening. Remember also to salt your food & drink at least a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily, keeping fruit to a minimum and eaten with meals rather on it's own as a snack. Nuts should be limited to around a closed handful, every other day.

I'd suggest building each of your meals to match this template which will negate the need for snacks, and will see you eating enough food to properly fuel your body - right now it's likely your metabolism is slowing down to preserve what fuel you are providing.

Your mood & energy will improve, and many more NSVs will follow - and if your body finds itself in a happy place then some weightloss may well follow.

I'd add that no weighing is a rule, just as much as no grains or no alcohol. Please step away from the scale as weight loss is not linear - many people find they lose, then gain, then lose again, and constantly monitoring your weight will have you stressing which is counter productive. It's possible too for some folk to gain weight in 30 days, but to lose body fat - which is preferable - so the number on that scale is not even relevant.

Bear in mind also that this is a 30 day program and results vary in relation to where you started - and many folk don't see/feel the magic until the final stages.

Hi Z - Good to know. From what I read, I would try to adjust the morning to a protein and veggie, starting off with fruit right away could spike your insulin and slow the weightloss process, so kickstart your metabolism with protein first; eat fruit mixed into your salad at lunch, maybe do a midafternoon fruit to taper off of fruit, but try to do broccoli and cawliflower snacks or any other veggie, dipped in some of the fun dip recipes. Also don't eat 2 hours before bed. And perhaps add a little exercise in the mix if you're not already. It sounds like you're doing really well though, so your body may be happy at the weight you're at. 

Also kombucha is a great fruit replacement, it's sweet but very low in sugar. Make sure to buy the kind with no added sugar. 

Agree with JMBC thanks!! I think this is a habit breaking plan so after 30 days you may want to do another 30 or do the classic re-intro. Get in the zone that you may not want to go back to eating a donut. Doing this now will allow you to feel your best in 10 years. Keep it up. 

Archived