gassy hubby!!!

This is my second whole 30 and my husband's first.  Both times I have felt pretty good, and my digestion has been great.  He has been really gassy.  Stinky gassy.  He keeps blaming it on food...which it could be, of course!  First it was the organic chicken sausage (it wasn't that), then he blamed the roasted cauliflower, broccoli and brussels (which can make you gassy, but he stopped those), now he's blaming pork.  Not sure why this is happening, but if anyone has some suggestions, I would appreciate it!  I pretty much have to go to bed before he does every night if I don't want to have to get into the "toxic tent"!!

He's most likely right about it being the food, and I'm guessing it's FODMAPS if he's already excluded cauliflower, broccoli & sprouts - although blaming pork isn't completely out of the realms of possibility- can you give us a run down of what he has eaten over the past 3-4 days giving specifics on veg types, portion sizes, liquid intake etc.

Hopefully we can suggest some tweaks  :)

Breakfast every day is scrambled eggs and avocado.  black coffee.  Some fruit, either a banana or melon and grapes.  I have been working the past couple of days, but from what I can tell from the state of the fridge, he's eaten leftover pork (he grilled a loin) and salad for lunch and dinner with Salad (raw veggies, lettuce, cuke, radish, snow peas, avocado, homemade vinaigrette). Cashew larabars before/during a long hike and bike ride.  He is a snacker...snacks have been pistachios and fruit (melon, banana, grapes, cherries)  Other than the coffee in the morning just water to drink, and lots of it.  I know the snacking isn't ideal, but he is active, and just getting him to do this (to hopefully help with his psoriasis) was a bit of a struggle, so I'm happy that he is in and we are on day 12.

Well his snacking really isn't helping here - nuts are notoriously hard on the digestive system and if he's eating bars too then some gas isn't at all surprising. He's also eating a lot of FODMAPs as suspected - avocado, coffee, banana, snow peas, nuts, & dates (in the larabars) for starters.

I'd start with cutting out the nuts first and replace with boiled eggs, tins of fish, compliant jerky etc for his hikes - these are MUCH better for him in terms of fueling & fat adaptation - and if the symptoms don;t subside I'd look at eating low FODMAP.

Take a look at >this infographic< for a handy traffic light system list of what to eat & what to avoid - once the gut is healed you can add in the foods on the amber list, in moderation and see how he goes...

If he's eating a lot more animal protein than usual you could also look at adding in a digestive enzyme which will help break down the proteins faster & aid digestion.

Archived