Sara's Whole30

Sarasaurus

Yesterday was Day 1 and I'm already struggling to remember what I ate (!) so definitely need to start logging... 

Day 1

Meal 1: roasted sweet potato sauteed in avocado oil w/ onion and spinach, 1 link Coleman Organic chicken florentine sausage, 2 eggs. Thought this was light on fat so added about 1/4-1/3 can of coconut cream

Meal 2: handful of blueberries, hamburger patty, steamed broccoli w/ 1T ghee, something else I can't remember??

PreWO: 3 slices deli turkey, handful of coconut

Meal 3: fennel and garlic shrimp, 1/3 roasted sweet potato w/ 1/4 can coconut cream

Workout: Crossfit

Day 2

Meal 1: roasted sweet potato sauteed in avocado oil w/ onion and spinach, 1 link Coleman Organic chicken florentine sausage, 2 eggs, 1/4 can coconut cream

Meal 2: handful of blueberries, hamburger patty w/ harissa and 1/2 avocado, 1 romaine heart w/ 2 hard boiled eggs and Tessemae's ranch dressing

PreWO: 4 slices deli turkey, 1/4 avocado

Meal 3: fennel and garlic shrimp, 1/3 roasted sweet potato w/ 1/4 can coconut cream

Only 2 days in, but it feels pretty easy so far. I got home from vacation on Day 0 so wasn't quite as prepared as I would have liked, but it hasn't been a problem. This isn't a huge change from my normal diet but the most difficult thing has been to stay aware of the rules and remember to decline the stuff I'd normally pick up without even thinking (even though I don't especially want it) - the bag of chips my co-workers are sharing, or the samples of a new protein bar at the gym tonight. My only other struggle has been eating this amount of food - it seems like so much! I feel like I'm following the meal template pretty well and have not had any snacks, and the only time I have felt hungry has been late afternoon (5ish) when I'm about to have my preWO. I plan to gradually reduce the size of meals until I find what's right for me - I have no problem eating 'a lot' but don't want to overeat.

I'm primarily logging to identify patterns/reactions/etc. but welcome any feedback or constructive criticism from anyone who's so inclined!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3

Meal 1: roasted sweet potato sauteed in avocado oil w/ onion and spinach, 1 link Coleman Organic chicken florentine sausage, 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado

Meal 2: tuna (1+ can) w/ mayo, 1/4 avocado, handful of blueberries, 1/2 large raw carrot, steamed broccoli w/ 1T ghee

PreWO: 2 slices deli turkey, 2 slices avocado

PostWO: 2 slices deli turkey

Meal 3: taco seasoned ground turkey with salsa and 1/2 avocado, spinach sauteed in olive oil w/ onion and pine nuts

Probably a little heavy on the avocado today. Was not excited about my lunch (it's time to admit I just don't like tuna that much) but it was very satiating and I didn't start feeling hungry at all until around 6, so preWO was small. Made sure to have postWO because I knew it would be a little longer before I had dinner ready. Definitely noticed that I felt less bloated today than I often do, which is one of the things I hoped to address with Whole30 so hopefully it continues!

Day 4

Meal 1: roasted sweet potato sauteed in avocado oil w/ onion and mushrooms, 1 link Coleman Organic chicken florentine sausage, 2 eggs, 1/4 can coconut cream

Meal 2: leftover taco seasoned ground turkey with salsa and 1/2 avocado, spinach sauteed in olive oil w/ onion and pine nuts, handful of blueberries with coconut cream

Meal 3: few bites of leftover tuna and mayo, seared salmon, roasted beets and carrots, sauce made from mayo, dill, lemon juice and capers

Workout: none

Day 5

Meal 1: roasted sweet potato sauteed in avocado oil w/ onion and mushrooms, 1 link Coleman Organic chicken florentine sausage, 2 eggs, 1/4 can coconut cream

Meal 2: leftover taco seasoned ground turkey with salsa and 2/3 avocado, spinach sauteed in olive oil w/ onion and pine nuts, 1/2 raw carrot w/ tahini dip

Meal 3: seared salmon, roasted beets and carrots, sauce made from mayo, dill, lemon juice and capers

This morning was the first time I woke up hungry since starting Whole30. Figured that was due to not enough fat in Meal 3 yesterday so went for a larger portion of the mayo sauce tonight. I noticed that I have been drinking more water than usual, without trying/thinking about it. Checked the sodium in some of the packaged meat I've been eating and the chicken florentine sausages are fairly high... planning to change my breakfast to 3 eggs instead of 2 and only 1/2 link of sausage and see if that helps.

Day 6

Meal 1: 1/2 baked sweet potato, 1/2 chicken florentine sausage, sauteed mushrooms, 3 eggs, 1/3 avocado

Meal 2: broccoli w/ ghee, hamburger patty w/ harissa and 1/2 avocado, 1/2 raw carrot w/ tahini dip

PostWO: 3 slices deli turkey

Meal 3: Applegate hot dog w/ mustard, 1/3 baked sweet potato, blueberries and raspberries w/ coconut milk

Didn't feel great today; bloating that started last night continued pretty much all day. I already felt so 'full' that I didn't feel like eating... powered through breakfast and lunch, no preWO because I just couldn't stand the thought and felt good at my workout. PostWO and then finally had a small, late dinner when I started to feel hungry. Thought the berries and coconut milk would feel 'desserty" so ate that first. I think I have seen so many comments telling people to eat more that I have been making my portions larger than they need to be, at the higher end of the template. My body just doesn't seem to want or need that much food, so I need to continue trying to aim for the lower range of the template. I have some weight to lose, not a ton but 15-20 lbs would be ideal, and I don't want to eat more food than I need (even if it is great, clean, healthy food!).

Day 7

Meal 1: 1/2 baked sweet potato w/ 1/4 can coconut milk, handful of raspberries, 5 slices deli turkey

Meal 2: broccoli w/ ghee, hamburger patty w/ harissa and 1/2 avocado, 1/2 raw carrot w/ tahini dip, watermelon

PreWO: hardboiled egg, 4 slices deli turkey, dab of chipotle mayo

Meal 3: seared salmon, green beans w/ coconut oil, mayo/caper sauce

Felt much better today! Overslept and had to improvise a bit with breakfast - did ok but was hungry by 11:30, and hungry again in the afternoon. The constant need for food prep and planning feels overwhelming at times, and I say that as someone who likes to cook. I have been feeling really good in my workouts, not sure yet whether to attribute that to W30 or just to getting back in my routine after vacation.

Day 8

Meal 1: 1/3 baked sweet potato, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken florentine sausage, mushrooms, spinach

Meal 2: tuna (1+ can) w/ mayo, green beans w/ coconut oil, blueberries and raspberries w/ 1/4 can coconut milk

PreWO: 2 slices deli turkey, 2 slices avocado

Meal 3: 2 Applegate hot dogs, beets and carrots roasted w/ coconut oil, 1/4 can coconut milk

Day 9

Meal 1: 1/2 baked sweet potato w/ coconut cream, 3 eggs

Meal 2: hamburger patty w/ 1/2 avocado, green beans w/ coconut oil, handful of blueberries w/ coconut cream

Snack: hard boiled egg, 1 slice deli turkey, handful of blueberries

Meal 3: salmon w/ caper/dill mayo, sauteed spinach w/ onions and mushrooms, coconut cream

Overslept again today and scrambled for breakfast but it worked out ok. I felt like Meal 2 had plenty of fat but I was hungry again by late afternoon (would normally have preWO at that time but today was rest day), but that was 4+ hours after lunch. Have not had any more issues with bloating since a few days ago, yay! It's not causing me any problems but I think it might be good to try and get more variety in my added fats besides avocado and coconut.

Day 10 (yesterday)

Meal 1: 1/3 baked sweet potato w/ coconut oil, 1 egg, 1/2 chicken florentine sausage, sauteed spinach, mushrooms and onions w/ pine nuts

Meal 2: 2 Applegate hot dogs, green beans w/ coconut oil, raw/fermented sauerkraut, mixed berries w/ coconut cream

Snack: 2 slices deli turkey

Meal 3: roasted chicken, sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, potatoes roasted in chicken fat

I'm finding that I pretty much always need a snack/preWO in the late afternoon; I may try to make my lunches a bit bigger but I just don't think going from 1pm (at the latest) to 7:30pm (at the earliest) without additional food is going to happen! Especially with a workout in between. I have not weighed myself, and intend to follow the rules about that, but two people told me today I look like I've lost weight, and I do feel thinner especially in my stomach  :D

I'm with you on needing some kind of snack, even 20 days in. Honestly, I don't know how people do it. If I'm up at 5:30am (my natural, no alarm wake time), I have to eat breakfast by 6:30 right? If I spaced 5 hours between each meal I'd be finishing dinner at 4:30/5 which is way too early for my family. I've been doing 3 meals lately but only if I delay my breakfast until after my family wakes up at 7:30. Might not be wise to wait 2-3 hours to eat breakfast but if I don't I have to snack!

Day 11

preWO: 2 slices deli turkey, spoonful of coconut cream

Meal 1: leftover roasted potatoes, 2 eggs, sauteed spinach/mushrooms/onions, mixed berries w/ coconut cream

Meal 2:1/2 baked sweet potato, raw/fermented sauerkraut, compliant hot dog w/ mustard

Meal 3: chicken coconut curry w/ carrots and mushrooms, cauliflower rice, handful of blueberries

Day 12
Meal 1: 1/2 baked sweet potato w/ coconut oil, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken florentine sausage, sauteed spinach, mushrooms and onions w/ pine nuts, iced coffee w/ unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Meal 2: chicken coconut curry w/ carrots and mushrooms, cauliflower rice, mixed berries

Snack: hot dog w/ mustard, dry roasted almonds (closed handful)

Meal 3: 4 slices deli turkey, 1/2 avocado, leftover roasted potatoes, leftover sauteed zucchini and yellow squash

Forgot to list yesterday's workout (Crossfit). Also have forgotten to include the iced coffee with almond milk I've been drinking with breakfast for the past week or so. I'm not a regular coffee drinker, don't like hot coffee, but I do like the iced coffee and both the coffee (store bought cold brew) and almond milk are compliant. However, I think it will be best not to continue with it... no reason to introduce a caffeine habit when the point of W30 is 'clean' eating (and I just kicked my Diet Coke habit a couple months ago, although I was much more addicted to the sweetness than the caffeine).

Day 13

Meal 1: 1/2 baked sweet potato w/ coconut oil, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken florentine sausage, sauteed spinach, mushrooms and onions w/ pine nuts, mixed berries w/ coconut cream, iced coffee w/ unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Meal 2: chicken coconut curry w/ carrots and mushrooms, cauliflower rice, 1/4 avocado, berries left from breakfast

preWO: chipotle chicken salad, 1/4 avocado

Meal 3: salmon w/ caper/dill mayo, roasted tomatoes, green beans w/ coconut oil

Started feeling a bit bloated around midday... not sure what might have caused it, since I haven't eaten anything 'new' (I don't think a handful of almonds yesterday would take that long to have any negative effects, but maybe?). Otherwise, still feeling good! I haven't had a lot of cravings or temptations that I really struggled with, and it does seem to be getting easier, or I'm getting more used to passing up those things every time. And I honestly don't feel like I'm missing much.

Day 14

Meal 1: 1/2 baked sweet potato w/ coconut oil, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken florentine sausage, sauteed spinach, mushrooms and onions, mixed berries w/ coconut cream, iced coffee w/ unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Meal 2: chicken coconut curry w/ carrots and mushrooms, cauliflower rice, 1/4 avocado, berries left from breakfast

PreWO: chipotle chicken salad, a few almonds

Meal 3: salmon w/ caper/dill mayo, roasted tomatoes, green beans w/ coconut oil

Day 15

Meal 1: 1/2 baked sweet potato w/ coconut oil, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, sauteed spinach, mushrooms and onions, mixed berries w/ coconut cream, iced coffee w/ unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Meal 2: chicken coconut curry w/ carrots and mushrooms, cauliflower rice, 1/4 avocado

PreWO: chipotle chicken salad, 1/4 avocado

Meal 3: hamburger patty w/ guacamole, green beans w/ coconut oil, handful of berries

Still feeling a little "puffy"... wondering if something in the curry recipe doesn't agree with me 100% although I can't think of what it would be. Only have a couple servings left so will see what happens once it's done.

Day 16

Meal 1: 1/2 baked sweet potato w/ coconut oil, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, sauteed spinach, mushrooms and onions, iced coffee w/ unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Meal 2: chicken coconut curry w/ carrots and mushrooms, cauliflower rice, mixed berries w/ coconut milk

Meal 3: 2 hot dogs w/ mustard, green beans w/ coconut oil, dry roasted almonds (closed handful)

Over halfway! Slept late this morning so meals were pushed back (~10am, 2:30pm, 8pm) and wasn't hungry in between.

Day 17

Meal 1: 1/4 baked sweet potato w/ coconut oil, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, sauteed spinach, mushrooms and onions, iced coffee w/ unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Meal 2: chicken coconut curry w/ carrots and mushrooms, red potatoes sauteed in avocado oil, mixed berries w/ coconut milk

Snack: chipotle chicken salad, carrot sticks, guacamole

Meal 3: taco seasoned ground beef, salsa, 1/2 avocado, zucchini and yellow squash sauteed in avocado oil, 3 blackberries

Cut back on the amount of sweet potato at breakfast since I was also having potatoes for lunch (ran out of cauliflower and needed a 'base' for my last meal of curry). Got some tapioca flour/starch to sub for cornstarch in the taco seasoning I make and it turned out well - last time I just skipped the thickener and it tasted fine but was a little runny. 

As I pass the halfway point I've been thinking about what I want my diet to look like post-whole30. It obviously depends on how various foods affect me during reintroduction, but I think continuing with a mostly Whole30 diet will be my new normal. I do look forward to not having to scour the ingredients list on every. single. thing. I buy in case there's a minute amount of sugar, but I don't miss any of the eliminated foods as much as I thought I might. I also notice now that berries (the only fruit I've been having) taste so sweet and delicious... at first I thought I'd just gotten lucky with some really good berries, but they ALL taste that way!

Day 18

PreWO: 3 slices deli turkey, 1/4 avocado

PostWO: 1 slice deli turkey

Meal 1: 1/3 baked sweet potato w/ coconut oil, sauteed spinach, mushrooms and onions, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, mixed berries w/ coconut milk

Meal 2/Snack: dry roasted almonds (closed handful), hot dog, raw fermented sauerkraut

Meal 3: steak w/ horseradish mayo, roasted red potatoes, green beans w/ coconut oil, watermelon

Technically this was yesterday... working out in the am pushed my meals back quite a bit. Ideally I would be up early enough for a full meal before working out (at 9) but without several hours to digest I know having that much food on my stomach would be bad news! I was surprised by the amount of food I ate for Meal 1 and still didn't feel overly full, although it was after 11 by the time I ate.

I commented yesterday on how sweet berries are tasting and noticed the same thing with the watermelon today. Yum! Also added some horseradish to homemade mayo and it was great with the steak and the potatoes.

Day 19

Meal 1: 1/3 baked sweet potato w/ coconut oil, sauteed spinach, mushrooms and onions, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs

Meal 2: 2 hot dogs, green beans w/ coconut oil, 1/4 avocado, mixed berries w/ coconut milk

Snack: hard boiled egg, watermelon

Meal 3: taco seasoned ground beef, salsa, 1/2 avocado, sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, watermelon, 2-3 T coconut milk

Day 20

Meal 1: 1/3 baked sweet potato w/ coconut oil, sauteed spinach, mushrooms and onions, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs

Meal 2: hamburger patty, fruit

Meal 3: salmon w/ caper/dill mayo, roasted carrots and beets, sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, watermelon

4th of July. Today was definitely not ideal, but that's ok! My sister had a family cookout and the burger and fruit were the only things I could eat. I didn't want to miss time with my family but it was a little stressful - knowing I wasn't getting a good template meal, plus deflecting questions and feeling bad that I wasn't eating the food other people prepared (with more notice I would have taken a compliant veggie dish, but didn't have time to make anything). I did notice that I wasn't especially tempted by anything, except in that it would have added variety to what I was eating (there wasn't anything terribly unhealthy - a corn/veggie salad, pasta salad, squash casserole - except the blueberry bundt cake which I did spend a few seconds looking at longingly). I went with the "temporary elimination diet" angle in my explanation and I think that reduced the comments/judgement... that makes my family sound mean, which they aren't at all, I just know that they would see the Whole30 as silly/ridiculous/a fad. I'm the only one who has ever really had any food or weight issues and they all eat a varied/balanced, relatively healthy, "normal diet" (as did I, pre-W30). Since it works for them, I think they see "special diets" as unhealthy extremes, or as something for people who are looking for a quick fix (like the cabbage soup diet, MasterCleanse, etc.).

Day 21

Meal 1: roasted potatoes, sauteed spinach/mushrooms/onions, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, ~3 Tbsp coconut milk

Meal 2: taco seasoned ground beef w/ salsa, 1/2 avocado, roasted carrots and beets w/ pesto mayo, berries w/ coconut milk

PreWO: 3 slices deli turkey w/ pesto mayo

Meal 3: leftover steak w/ horseradish mayo, green beans w/ coconut oil, watermelon

Three weeks down!  :)

Day 22

Meal 1: roasted potatoes, sauteed spinach/mushrooms/onions, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, ~3 Tbsp coconut milk, kiwi

Meal 2: taco seasoned ground beef w/ salsa, 1/2 avocado, green beans w/ coconut oil, berries w/ coconut milk

PreWO: 4 slices deli turkey w/ pesto mayo

Meal 3: leftover steak w/ horseradish mayo, green beans w/ coconut oil, roasted tomatoes, watermelon

Workout: none  :angry:

Got home from work, 45 minutes later got in my car to head to the gym, and... nothing. Car wouldn't start and looks like it will need significant work. After dealing with all of that, didn't eat dinner until about 9. But I did eat my template dinner instead of getting gelato for dinner since "I'd had a bad day".

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Just wanted to say hi!  Yeah for making three weeks!  Bummer about the car :(

Its also nice to see someone who adds coconut milk to everything :)  

Are you still noticing that your crossfit workouts are better than before?  

Hi! I actually feel like my workouts have suffered a bit in the past couple weeks, I'm feeling more easily fatigued and my lifting doesn't seem to be quite where it should be. From what others have said, I'm hoping this means I'm becoming fat adapted and will come out on the other side soon!!

Yeah coconut milk! It's so easy and delicious! I've been getting into the homemade mayo more too, now that I've started adding other stuff to it (horseradish, pesto, etc.)

Day 23

Meal 1: sauteed onion, spinach, roasted carrots and beets, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, kiwi

Meal 2: salad (1/2#) with chicken and roasted tomatoes, Tessemae's lemon garlic dressing, 1/2 avocado, mixed berries w/ coconut milk

preWO: 2 slices deli turkey w/ pesto tomato mayo

postWO: 1 slice deli turkey

Meal 3: hamburger patty w/ horseradish mayo, green beans w/ coconut oil, watermelon

I've been thinking about how to rearrange my evenings so that I can have a proper postWO "meal". I go to Crossfit at 7 and it lasts around an hour, then I go straight home (5-10 min drive) and start making dinner. Since I'm usually eating dinner 30-40 minutes after finishing my workout, a postWO seemed unnecessary and kind of silly - would it really make a difference if I got that protein in my stomach 15 minutes before my whole dinner? But I haven't been feeling quite as good in my workouts so decided to change it up: tonight I got home and immediately ate a slice of turkey, then showered and changed, then started dinner. This pushes dinner back pretty late (9 or after) so I kept it on the small end of the template. I'm curious to see if I feel like I'm recovering better, although it will be hard to tell if it's due to the new eating schedule or if I've just been fat adapting/adjusting in some other way.

Archived