Sara's Whole30

Sarasaurus

Day 24

Meal 1: sauteed onion, spinach, roasted carrots and beets, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, drizzle of olive oil, few spoonfuls of coconut milk

Meal 2: salad (1/2#) with chicken and roasted tomatoes, Tessemae's lemon garlic dressing, mixed berries w/ coconut milk

Meal 3: hamburger patty w/ horseradish mayo, green beans w/ coconut oil, watermelon

Workout: none

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 23

I've been thinking about how to rearrange my evenings so that I can have a proper postWO "meal". I go to Crossfit at 7 and it lasts around an hour, then I go straight home (5-10 min drive) and start making dinner. Since I'm usually eating dinner 30-40 minutes after finishing my workout, a postWO seemed unnecessary and kind of silly - would it really make a difference if I got that protein in my stomach 15 minutes before my whole dinner? But I haven't been feeling quite as good in my workouts so decided to change it up: tonight I got home and immediately ate a slice of turkey, then showered and changed, then started dinner. This pushes dinner back pretty late (9 or after) so I kept it on the small end of the template. I'm curious to see if I feel like I'm recovering better, although it will be hard to tell if it's due to the new eating schedule or if I've just been fat adapting/adjusting in some other way.

I workout first thing in the morning (5:30 am). I carry a small lunch bag with a few plastic ice packs in it for my post-WO meal. I put in a few slices of my chicken I already have cooked in the fridge and a few pieces of sweet potato. I leave the bag in the car, and when I get in to head home, I eat it then. It makes it a lot easier to get home, unpack my gym bag and start breakfast without getting weak feeling needing food. Hope that helps!

Day 25

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, roasted tomatoes, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, drizzle of olive oil, berries w/ coconut milk

Meal 2: hamburger patty w/ horseradish mayo, green beans w/ coconut oil, kiwi

Meal 3: almonds (closed handful), sauteed kale/spinach/onion, roasted tomatoes, 2 tiny potatoes, chicken breast, pesto mayo, handful of cherries

Lately I've been having fruit with almost every meal - not big servings, but I still think it would probably be best to cut back a bit to 1 or 2 servings a day, max. Part of it is the summer fruits that are in season, which I have no intention of missing out on, I just think every meal is too often and more likely to put me back into a habit of having something sweet with meals. I'm also going to be working on devoting time to eating only, as per the response to my question about being a slow eater. Honestly, this sounds frustrating and boring to me - my free time is so limited that I look forward to doing simple/frivolous stuff while eating (watching a show, reading news stories, etc.). We'll see how it goes.

Day 26

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, roasted tomatoes, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, drizzle of olive oil

Meal 2: 2 hot dogs, green beans w/ coconut oil, blueberries w/ coconut milk

Snack: ~2 spoonfuls coconut butter, 2 slices deli turkey

Meal 3: 2 slices prosciutto, roasted butternut squash, kiwi

Workout: None

The snack today was a mistake - I wasn't paying attention to the time and it was late enough I should have just had dinner. Instead, I had the snack then wasn't hungry for dinner until late. I found Mel Joulwan's homemade coconut butter recipe and tried it today. I can see how it could be food without brakes for some; fortunately I thought it was good, but not good enough to make me crazy! Also found compliant prosciutto at the grocery store and it was nice to have a new protein/fat. 

I did pretty well with the "just eating" thing at breakfast, got interrupted a few times during lunch (I was at work), and totally failed at dinner - it was late when I was eating and I had food prep I needed to get done for the week so I ate while cooking.

Day 27

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, roasted butternut squash, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, drizzle of olive oil

Meal 2: hamburger patty, horseradish mayo, green beans w/ coconut oil, blueberries w/ coconut milk

PreWO: big spoonful coconut butter, 2 slices deli turkey

PostWO: few bites of chicken breast

Meal 3: seared salmon, steamed broccoli w/ coconut oil, kiwi, 5 cherries

Workout: Crossfit

My dinner tonight was too much - I really need to keep my portions smaller as I'm now eating even later, plus having postWO (even those few bites seem to impact my appetite for dinner). No added fat at dinner because I just didn't feel like I needed it.

NSV: I have been reading some old threads on the forums about fat adaption, and was happy to see that some of the signs are things I've experienced already. Especially a change in the way I feel hungry - that sounds weird, but when I used to get hungry my stomach would growl really (embarrassingly) loudly, and it would be an intense feeling. I mostly noticed it when I was in the field for work and couldn't always eat as soon as I started to feel hungry. Now, I recognize that I'm getting hungry around lunchtime, but it's not the same. It feels manageable if I can't eat right away, and my stomach stays quiet! And this is with no morning snack, which I used to have often even though I was only going about 4 hours between breakfast and lunch.

Considering extending my W30 to a W45... I'm curious to see the effect of some adjustments I'm making without interference from reintroduction.

Day 28

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs, drizzle of olive oil

Meal 2: shredded chicken w/ south Indian curry sauce, green beans w/ coconut oil, 6 cherries, spoonful of coconut butter

PreWO: 2 slices deli turkey w/ pesto mayo

PostWO: few bites of chicken breast

Meal 3: hamburger patty, fried egg, butternut squash, steamed broccoli w/ coconut oil, handful of blueberries, small spoonful of coconut butter

I felt good working out tonight. Yesterday's workout was tough, but I still PR'd my snatch and felt (relatively!) good on the metcon tonight. I'm going to continue for 45 days as I've been thinking more about the tweaks I want to make with food and other things (sleep, mainly). I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow; I've avoided eating at restaurants until now because it seemed so much easier and safer to just make my own food. But I'm going to DC to a show with my boyfriend tomorrow night and we'll be eating dinner somewhere - we haven't chosen a restaurant in advance, so I can't check the menu to be prepared. I've made it through 28 days with any bars, but will take a Larabar tomorrow just in case...

Day 29 (yesterday)

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, shredded chicken w/ south Indian curry sauce, spoonful of coconut butter

Meal 2: shredded chicken w/ south Indian curry sauce, green beans w/ coconut oil, blueberries w/ coconut milk

Meal 3: banana, almonds, 1/3 Epic bar

I knew today would not be ideal since I was going to have to eat dinner out. We didn't go to a sit-down restaurant; my boyfriend picked up a sandwich and I cobbled together some compliant stuff (I seriously don't know how anyone can choose to eat Epic bars on a regular basis - yuck!!). My Meal 3 was spread over several hours and I had 2-3x a closed handful of almonds, but it could have been much worse! I'm glad I'm continuing for 45 days since I'd be disappointed to have such a crappy day right at the end!

Day 30

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, shredded chicken w/ south Indian curry sauce, spoonful of coconut butter

Meal 2: 2 hard boiled eggs, 2/3 Epic bar, mango, coconut milk, pistachios

Snack: 3 slices deli turkey w/ pesto mayo, blueberries

Meal 3: hamburger patty, butternut squash, steamed broccoli w/ coconut oil, spoonful of coconut butter

Workout:none

Another not ideal day - got home at 2am so prep time was nonexistent, plus I was in the field for lunch and most of my prepared stuff in the fridge needed to be heated up. So again, I'm glad I'm not ending on this compliant-but-I-can-do-better day.

I guess I can weight myself tomorrow though! Should be interesting; I definitely feel thinner and my clothes are fitting looser but I'm sure some of it is just due to getting rid of the bloat I used to have almost all the time (NSV!).

Day 31

Meal 1: sauteed spinach, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, butternut squash (forgot my fat!)

Meal 2: shredded chicken w/ south Indian curry sauce, green beans w/ coconut oil, blueberries w/ coconut milk

Snack: mixed berries, kiwi (~3/4 cup)

Meal 3: roast beef, green beans w/ coconut oil, butternut squash, spoonful of coconut butter

I forgot to add fat to my breakfast but wasn't hungry, even though I didn't eat lunch until 1. We just had evaluations at work so my boss wanted to take everyone out for ice cream... went to one of those frozen yogurt places with the topping bar, so I just got some of the fresh fruit in a cup. I was feeling bloated again from last night through this afternoon, maybe the Epic bar? or too many nuts in the last couple days? I also forgot to weigh myself today but am going to hold off for a few days anyway, until my period is over  :ph34r:

Day 32

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, butternut squash, drizzle of olive oil, spoonful of coconut butter

Meal 3: roast beef, sauerkraut, butternut squash, 1/2 avocado

Meal 4: steak, chicken, 2 small potatoes, brussels sprouts, asparagus, spoonful of coconut butter

This evening I went to a friend's housewarming party. I ate a small, early dinner beforehand since I didn't know what food would be available, but he is fairly health conscious and I asked about all the ingredients and had another mini meal there. And I was told again that I look like I've lost weight  :D

Reading through the forums I notice a lot of people talking about how they don't have cravings for the sugary/processed foods anymore. This is interesting to me as I'm now more than 30 days in and definitely still feel drawn to the sugary stuff. I don't know whether to call them cravings or not - I'm perfectly happy eating my compliant meals and it's not like I daydream about cake and candy, but when I see that stuff, I still want it! I was already eating a pretty healthy diet before W30 and had cut back significantly on added sugars, so I'm used to not indulging on a regular basis. It just doesn't feel like it's gotten any easier (except in the sense that the black-and-white of the rules makes me say 'no' instead of 'just a tiny piece'). 

Day 33

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, butternut squash, drizzle of olive oil, spoonful of coconut butter

Meal 2: 2 hot dogs w/ mustard, green beans w/ coconut oil, blueberries w/ coconut milk

Meal 3: roast beef, sauerkraut, coconut butter

Snack: salmon cake

Started lots of food prep this evening and ended up not actually eating anything for dinner. It's almost 11 and I'm now eating one of the salmon cakes... not a template meal but I'm not very hungry and don't want to eat much this close to bedtime anyway. On the plus side, I now have salmon cakes, broccoli, baked sweet potatoes, sauteed greens, and coconut butter prepped for the week. 

Day 34

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 1/3 sweet potato w/ coconut oil, drizzle of olive oil

Meal 2: shredded chicken w/ south indian curry sauce, steamed broccoli w/ ghee, blueberries

PreWO: 3 slices deli turkey w/ mayo 

Meal 3: salmon cake, roasted asparagus w/ avocado oil, 4 blackberries, big spoonful of coconut butter

Workout:Crossfit

Felt pretty bloated most of the day, like I would pre-W30... didn't eat anything unusual so I'm thinking the lack of veggies and fats yesterday pm may have slowed things down?? That's an easy fix, but I do wonder/worry how I can manage under non-W30 conditions if my system is that sensitive now. Especially since I love to travel, and sometimes there just aren't any good options. 

Day 35

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 1/3 sweet potato w/ coconut oil, small spoonful of coconut butter

Meal 2: hamburger patty w/ south indian curry sauce, steamed broccoli w/ ghee, blueberries

PreWO: 2 slices deli turkey w/ mayo 

Meal 3: chicken w/ avocado and coconut butter, sauteed zucchini and yellow squash, blackberries

Workout:Crossfit

Day 36

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, salmon cake, 1/3 sweet potato w/ coconut oil

Meal 2: chicken w/ south indian curry sauce, steamed broccoli w/ ghee, blueberries

Meal 3: 2 salmon cakes, green beans w/ coconut oil, 1 slice prosciutto, blackberries w/ coconut milk

I had that bloated feeling again most of the day today... frustrating, because I have no idea what would be causing it. I've been drinking even more water than usual and not eating anything new.

Day 37

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken apple sausage, 1/3 sweet potato w/ coconut oil

Meal 2: chicken coconut curry, green beans w/ coconut oil, blueberries

Snack: 3 slices deli turkey, 1/3 avocado

Meal 3: salmon cake, broccoli w/ coconut oil, 1 slice prosciutto, few bites of sweet potato w/ coconut oil, nectarine and blackberries w/ coconut milk

I intended to work out today but have stayed up too late the past couple nights and was feeling so tired on my drive home that I just skipped it. Definitely felt better today in terms of the bloating.

Day 38

Meal 1: sauteed kale/spinach/onion, broccoli, beef sausage, spoonful of coconut butter

Meal 2: chicken coconut curry, green beans w/ coconut oil, blueberries

Meal 3: salmon cake, broccoli w/ coconut oil, of sweet potato w/ coconut oil, spoonful of coconut butter

Felt like I hit the mark pretty well today in terms of meal sizes... I have struggled with feeling like I'm eating too much but today I got it right  :) I haven't been working out quite as much the past week or two, so if I were on my 'normal' schedule, today's portions may not have been enough.

Day 39

Meal 1: 1 slice deli turkey, 1 slice prosciutto, hard boiled egg (intended to be preWO but didn't make it to the gym)

Meal 2: chicken coconut curry, green beans w/ coconut oil, spoonful of coconut butter

Meal 3: salmon cake, sweet potato w/ coconut oil, spoonful of coconut butter

My meals were definitely not ideal today! It's been so hot I don't feel much like eating and really don't feel like cooking. I made potato salad for a cookout tomorrow and ate a little of that tonight too. Finally got my own immersion blender (I had borrowed my neighbor's and was so sad to give it back) so I'm gonna be going nuts with the mayo again now!

Day 40

Meal 1: green beans, eggplant, chicken coconut curry, peach, raspberries

Meal 2: 2 hot dogs, green beans w/ coconut oil

Meal 3: fajita chicken/peppers/onions, lettuce, potato salad, cherries, grapes

Late Snack: potato salad

Went to the cookout this afternoon/evening so meal 3 was early and I snacked on leftover potato salad later. Again, not ideal but compliant! Being busy all day also means I didn't get to prep much for the week and still have a sink full of dirty dishes  :( ... it's so much easier when I can at least start the week feeling ahead of the game!

Day 41

Meal 1: green beans w/ coconut oil, salmon cake, mayo w/ lemon juice and dill

Meal 2: fajita chicken/peppers/onions, whole avocado, green beans w/ coconut oil, raspberries

PreWO: 2 slices deli turkey w/ mayo

PostWO: 1 slice deli turkey

Meal 3: 2 slices deli turkey, 2 slices prosciutto, potato salad, green beans w/ coconut oil, sauteed zucchini, peach

Workout: Crossfit (2 mile run)

It is so ridiculously hot right now... it's 11pm and I'm sweating just sitting on my couch. This makes me not feel like eating and definitely not feel like cooking anything! I finally had a realization that while I like eggs, they are not the most practical breakfast for me. I'm always in a hurry and can heat up a lot of other things faster than I can cook eggs. So my breakfasts lately have been even less "breakfast-y" and more like a lunch or dinner than they were already, and it's actually pretty great - doesn't seem weird to me at all now.

I felt really bloated today for a while, I'm guessing due to my not-ideal and starch-heavy eating yesterday afternoon/evening (although I just realized, I drank some kombucha the past 2 nights... if those bacteria are really going to town that could cause some bloating too). I feel confident that I didn't accidentally eat anything off-plan. I was even carrying a plate of leftover cake and got some on my finger - my normal reaction would have been to lick it off, but I didn't even have to remember not to, it was automatic to wash it off instead  :)

Day 42

Meal 1: beef sausage w/ sauteed greens, couple bites of potato salad (planned to have baked sweet potato but it had gone bad)

Meal 2: fajita chicken/peppers/onions, 1/2 avocado, sauteed zucchini, raspberries

PreWO: 3 slices deli turkey, 1/2 avocado

Meal 3: chicken coconut curry, green beans w/ coconut oil, coconut butter, watermelon

Felt much better today wrt bloating. Annoyed that I let my sweet potatoes go bad! I love sweet potatoes!  :angry: This afternoon I felt really hungry, the same way I used to pre-W30, because my schedule was so hectic around lunchtime that I kept getting pulled away from my lunch and never ate the additional protein I had planned (the chicken wasn't enough on it's own). Totally distracting, loud stomach growling... it actually was shocking to me because I haven't experienced it in so long. But a good reminder of the importance of eating to the template!

Total lack of motivation to prep, due to the heat, so I'm thinking I'll treat myself to a compliant Chipotle lunch tomorrow.

Day 43

Meal 1: chicken coconut curry, green beans w/ coconut oil

Meal 2: Chipotle salad: lettuce, carnitas, red salsa, guac

(Mini)Meal 3: chicken coconut curry, green beans w/ coconut oil

Meal 4: roast beef, horseradish mayo, broccoli w/ coconut oil, fig, few bites of potato salad

Went to Costco today and found compliant pulled pork, score! Only two days left but I'm so used to eating W30 I have to keep reminding myself that I'll be reintroducing soon.

Archived