Sara's Whole30

Sarasaurus

Day 44

Meal 1: chicken coconut curry, green beans w/ coconut oil

Meal 2: broccoli w/ coconut oil, 2 slices deli turkey, tuna salad (1 packet w/ homemade mayo), few bites of potato salad, mixed berries, fig

Snack: 3 slices deli turkey, closed handful almonds (intended as PreWO but didn't make it to the gym)

Meal 4: roast beef, horseradish mayo, broccoli w/ coconut oil, 3 figs

Workout: none

One more day! I'm looking forward to re-introducing foods and (hopefully!!) identifying the cause of the chronic bloating I was experiencing pre-W30. I'm also looking forward to being able to relax a little bit about every speck of added sugar! But I definitely can see how people end up with anxiety over what to eat post-W30 - the W30 rules make it easy to know you're doing it 'right', but once the rules don't really apply anymore and you're on your own... what are the rules now? My plan is to go through reintroduction as prescribed, with maybe some separate testing of certain items (corn, different types of dairy), but continuing to eat W30 in general.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 45

Meal 1: green beans, 1/3 sweet potato w/ coconut oil, 3 eggs

Meal 2: hamburger patty, guacamole (>1/2 avocado), broccoli w/ coconut oil, handful of blueberries

PreWO: 2 slices deli turkey w/ guac

Meal 4: roast beef, horseradish mayo, green beans w/ coconut oil,  nectarine, few bites of sweet potato

Workout: Crossfit

45 days done! I'm going to switch to a Post-Whole 30 log to continue tracking reintroductions  :D

• 1 year later...

Reviving my log for my new round, started on January 11! Over the past ~6 months I feel like I've let things slide more and more, and decided that another full W30 would be the best way to right the ship. Plus with the new year and starting a new job, it feels like good timing. One of the main reasons for my downhill slide recently was work - my workload had increased so I was putting in more time at the office which meant missing workouts and little time for meal prep, plus stress and less sleep. Once I start slipping on workouts, it's easier for me to get lazy with my diet too. And even though I know it does bad things to me, I had been back to my coffee (with half and half) habit.

Day 1

Meal 1: 2 Applegate hot dogs, roasted cabbage, mustard mayo

Meal 2: pot roast, carrots/parsnips/onions, 2 clementines (had a salad but hadn't stocked my new office, so no fork) :rolleyes:

Meal 3: mixed greens salad w/ Tessemae's caesar dressing, hb egg, can't remember what else

Day 2

Meal 1: 2 fried eggs, hash browns cooked in avocado oil

Meal 2: pot roast, carrots/parsnips/onions, don't remember

Meal 3: don't remember, maybe more pot roast?

Snack: 1/2 Larabar, spoonful of coconut butter (stayed up too late and felt hungry before bed)

Day 3 (today)

Meal 1: 3 fried eggs, hash browns cooked in avocado oil, clementine, 1/2 Larabar

Meal 2: pot roast, carrots/parsnips/onions, ginger zucchini soup, blueberries

Snack: hb egg w/ mustard mayo, zucchini soup

Meal 3: 2 Applegate hot dogs, baked sweet potato, roasted cabbage, blueberries

Snack: zucchini soup before bed

Clearly I need to log every day, because I can't remember what I ate the day before! Did lots of prep today (yay 4 day weekend!) although my prep days ironically tend to not be great days meal-wise. Seeing my late-night (compliant) snacks the past 2 nights, looks like I need to increase my meal sizes!

Day 6

Meal 1: ground beef, roasted cabbage, mustard mayo

Meal 2: pot roast, carrots/parsnips/onions, ginger zucchini soup, blueberries

Snack/preWO: 2 clementines, hb egg, mustard mayo

Meal 3: 3 fried eggs, roasted broccoli, sweet potato, spoonful of coconut butter

Day 7

Meal 1: 2 Applegate hot dogs, mustard mayo, ginger zucchini soup

Meal 2: ground beef, roasted cabbage, mustard mayo, 2 clementines

Snack: Larabar

Meal 3: 3 fried eggs, roasted broccoli, sweet potato, spoonful of coconut butter

Still a bit out of my routine as a result of the new job, and wasn't prepared for late afternoon hunger (when I usually plan for a snack/mini meal) so the only thing I had was the Larabar.

How have you been feeling since you started?   Better, worse, same? 

I know what you mean about missing how you felt when you were on the post Whole30 meal regimen.  I mentioned it on my log, but aside from the fact that I need to drop some weight that has quickly latched onto me, I really want to get back to feeling as great as I did on a daily basis when I was eating a lot cleaner and not drinking as much.  I'm on day 18 now, so hopefully I will be there soon.  Good luck.

11 hours ago, Juice06870 said:

How have you been feeling since you started?   Better, worse, same? 

I know what you mean about missing how you felt when you were on the post Whole30 meal regimen.  I mentioned it on my log, but aside from the fact that I need to drop some weight that has quickly latched onto me, I really want to get back to feeling as great as I did on a daily basis when I was eating a lot cleaner and not drinking as much.  I'm on day 18 now, so hopefully I will be there soon.  Good luck.

I'm feeling better, definitely lighter/less puffy (although no real weight loss this early, I think). My first round I felt like fat adaptation happened around week 3, so I expect it will take at least that long this time around. I'm sure I'd be feeling even better if I was able to workout at the intensity I would like (and was used to, before my ~6 week break at the end of the year!), but I have a health issue right now that's forcing me to take it a bit easier. After my first Whole30 I felt great while I kept eating mainly to the template, but even with exceptions/splurges I continued to lose fat and was really pleased with how lean/defined I was. I'm hopeful that I've learned my lessons (no dairy, at least on a regular basis!) to stay in that place this time!

Day 8

Meal 1: 2 Applegate hot dogs, mustard mayo, cauliflower/carrot soup

Meal 2: 2 clementines, Rx bar, 1/2 Epic bar

Snack: 2 hb eggs, mustard mayo

Meal 3: blueberries, ground beef, roasted cabbage, mustard mayo, sweet potato, spoonful of coconut butter

Oof, today was a mess food-wise. Had to leave before lunch for a meeting 1.5 hrs away, so I ate what I had available to take with me. I was starving by the time I got home and ate the eggs. I'm pretty frustrated that I'm not able to workout like I want, but I am looking forward to starting a yoga class on Saturday. And coconut butter was on sale today!

Day 9

Meal 1: 2 Applegate hot dogs, mustard mayo, cauliflower/carrot soup

Meal 2: ground beef, roasted cabbage, mustard mayo

Snack: 1/2 Epic bar, blueberries

Meal 3: 3 fried eggs, roasted broccoli, hash browns, spoonful of coconut butter

Still taking it easy as far as working out, but looking forward to a yoga class tomorrow. I need to work on going to bed earlier (as I write this at 11:40pm...) - I've always been a night owl, but I end up not getting enough sleep and I start feeling hungry again when I'm still awake 4 hours after dinner.

On 1/18/2018 at 9:41 PM, Sarasaurus said:

My first round I felt like fat adaptation happened around week 3, so I expect it will take at least that long this time around. I'm sure I'd be feeling even better if I was able to workout at the intensity I would like (and was used to, before my ~6 week break at the end of the year!), but I have a health issue right now that's forcing me to take it a bit easier. After my first Whole30 I felt great while I kept eating mainly to the template, but even with exceptions/splurges I continued to lose fat and was really pleased with how lean/defined I was. I'm hopeful that I've learned my lessons (no dairy, at least on a regular basis!) to stay in that place this time!

I am right there with you.  I feel like it took a good 2, or more likely 3 weeks for my body to become fat adapted on my first Whole30.  I am right on day 20 now, so I hope it's the same or better now (it's almost 5 years later now, so I'm sure my body doesn't fire up like it used to).   But I felt the same as you, after it was finished, I stuck to the general template for quite a while and I got even leaner and my energy was excellent.  I started taking it for granted and cheated or splurged a lot more often as the years went by until this past year when i was completely off of the wagon.  I'm hoping I can get back on track and lean back out...and then not fall into the lackadaisical trap again.  

Day 10

Meal 1: hb egg, 2 slices deli turkey, mustard mayo, cauliflower/carrot soup

Snack: Shine fruit/veggie pouch

Meal 2: beef sausage, roasted cabbage, sweet potato, mustard mayo, blueberries

Meal 3: 2 fried eggs, hash browns, Swiss chard, spoonful of coconut butter

Workout: yoga

1/3 of the way there! Overslept this morning and had to scramble for breakfast before yoga class. Really enjoyed practicing yoga again, even though I was reminded of how much fitness I've lost recently. I've had two dreams already where I was eating/drinking something noncompliant! Still struggling with wanting sweets and other noncompliant foods at times, and reminding myself it's still early in the process.

Day 12

Meal 1: beef sausage, sauteed kale/spinach, mustard mayo, cauliflower/carrot soup

Meal 2: chicken, green beans, beets, ~1/2 avocado, blueberries

preWO: 3 slices deli turkey, Larabar

Meal 3: salmon cake, roasted broccoli, caper/dill mayo

Took an avocado to work planning to split it between lunch and preWO... it had so many bad spots only about half of it was edible. Day 12 and so far I've had 3 Larabars and an RX bar, and that's not good... I'm resolving to do my best to plan better (taking mayo to work as a backup fat tomorrow). On the plus side, back at Crossfit tonight and I felt out of shape, but no other issues.

Day 13

Meal 1: 2 Applegate hot dogs, sauteed kale/spinach, mustard mayo, sweet potato

Meal 2: chicken, green beans, beets, ~1/2 avocado, blueberries

Snack: 3 slices deli turkey, mustard mayo

Meal 3: salmon cake, roasted broccoli, caper/dill mayo, beets

Tried on a few pairs of pants that had been very tight the past couple months, and I think they seemed a tiny bit looser!

Day 14

Meal 1: 2 Applegate hot dogs, sauteed kale/spinach, mustard mayo, sweet potato

Meal 2: chicken, green beans, beets, blueberries, coconut butter

preWO: 3 slices deli turkey, mustard mayo, coconut butter

Meal 3: 2 fried eggs, swiss chard, sweet potato

Day 14

Meal 1: chicken, green beans, beets, cauliflower/carrot soup

Meal 2: ground beef, tomato basil marinara, broccoli, coconut butter

preWO: 3 slices deli turkey, mustard mayo, coconut butter

Meal 3: blueberry balsamic salmon, mixed greens w/ Tessemae's caesar dressing

Had another dream about eating something noncompliant! (This time it was ice cream.) Next week is going to be a struggle, I'll be in the field all day on Monday and traveling to an out of town meeting Thursday and Friday. Since I'm new at this job, I worry about making a "high maintenance" first impression by being super picky about what I eat. Luckily the hotel has a mini fridge and microwave in every room, so it will just be the social part that's difficult.

Day 15

Meal 1: 2 Applegate hot dogs, roasted brussels sprouts, sweet potato, mustard mayo

Meal 2: ground beef, tomato basil marinara, broccoli, coconut butter

Snack: chicken Epic bites

Meal 3: 3 fried eggs, hash browns, mixed greens w/ Tessemae's caesar dressing

Day 17 (yesterday - my numbering got off track somehow)

Meal 1: few bites of leftover hot dogs/roasted brussels sprouts/sweet potato/mustard mayo; cauliflower/carrot soup, Epic bites

Meal 2: 3 fried eggs, hash browns, spinach

Snack: Epic bites

Meal 3: blueberry balsamic salmon, roasted brussels sprouts, mustard mayo, coconut butter

Workout: yoga

Day 18

Meal 1: blueberry balsamic salmon, roasted brussels sprouts, mustard mayo, grapefruit

Meal 2: spaghetti squash, ground beef, tomato sauce

Meal 3: salmon cake, sauteed spinach w/ coconut oil, caper/dill mayo, coconut butter

Had ANOTHER dream about eating noncompliant food! I think I had one of those dreams during my first W30, not sure what it means that I'm having so many of them this time. Did some food prep today but wasn't excited about any of my options... not sure if it's food boredom or that final burst of sugar/carb cravings, or just a funky day.

Day 19

Meal 1: 2 Applegate hot dogs, roasted brussels sprouts, mustard mayo, grapefruit, coconut butter

Snack: Larabar

Meal 2: egg salad, apple, Epic bites, roasted sweet potato, fruit/veggie puree pouch

Meal 3: 2 fried eggs, spinach, sweet potato, few bites of broccoli/ground beef/tomato sauce, grapefruit

Was in the field today so lunch was late (2:30), had the Larabar to hold me over... definitely a fruit/sugar heavy day.

Archived