Bone broth: worth it if not organic?

I am currently making bone broth with tips & other bones chopped off for buffalo wings.  I know broth from organic chickens and grass fed beef is best, but if it is not, should we make broth anyway.. or only make it with organic/grass fed? 

I dont know what this means.  dem bones?  Do you mean that broth made with non-organic chicken is ok? 

I am not making a comparison with commercial soup/boullion.   I am not wondering if I should go to a local butcher.  The question is: should i NOT make bone broth at all if I am using NON organic chicken bones? 

1.  make bone broth no matter what kind of bones you have

2.  wait until you cook with organic chickens to make bone broth. 

• Moderators

I dont know what this means.  dem bones?  Do you mean that broth made with non-organic chicken is ok? 

I am not making a comparison with commercial soup/boullion.   I am not wondering if I should go to a local butcher.  The question is: should i NOT make bone broth at all if I am using NON organic chicken bones? 

From the first article jmcbn linked to above:

Do I have to get grass-fed or pastured bones, or organic bones?

You should. The animals have to be healthy to impart the maximum health benefit to you, and factory-farmed animals are the furthest thing from healthy. (And we don’t want to encourage morepurchasing of factory-farmed animals.) Do your best to seek out pastured chicken or 100% grass-fed beef bones from a local source.

It says should, not must. It's really a personal decision. You're going to get some health benefits from the broth, regardless of whether the source is organic/pastured/grass-fed. I don't know that anyone has ever done a study specifically on whether there are noticeable differences between the two, nutrient wise.

This is what's known as "majoring in the minors"

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/23212-dem-bones-dem-bones-dem-surprisingly-expensive-bones/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread95142.html

How important is it to use grassfed bones. ^^^

"It's not overly important. Use whatever you can find. Are grass fed bones better? Sure, and If you have access to them, use them. If you don't, use what you do have access to. You can also order grassfed bones online if you were so inclined."

I cannot find grass-fed organic bones where I live. Not at a local butcher, not at a farm, not in a box and not with a fox. I make bone broth anyway and skim all the fat since I have that's where most of the toxins would be. Because that's the best I can do and I believe that I am still getting health benefits from the collagen, I am quite content to use what I have access to. Let's be realistic, we can only do so much. I am not prepared to spend a fortune ordering broth or bones to make broth just because it would be "ideal." Do your best with what you have. :)

• Administrators

I cannot find grass-fed organic bones where I live. Not at a local butcher, not at a farm, not in a box and not with a fox. I make bone broth anyway and skim all the fat since I have that's where most of the toxins would be. Because that's the best I can do and I believe that I am still getting health benefits from the collagen, I am quite content to use what I have access to. Let's be realistic, we can only do so much. I am not prepared to spend a fortune ordering broth or bones to make broth just because it would be "ideal." Do your best with what you have. :)

This.  Do the best you can with the time and resources that you have at any given time. Don't stress over it.  Stew some bones, drink the broth.

Archived