Arthritis sufferer hoping whole30 will help symptoms, started yesterday!

RLK1001

Hi all, I'm Rachel and I live in the UK. I have been ill for the past 7 weeks with poly-arthritis, suspected rheumatoid arthritis and the whole30 was recommended to me to reduce or hopefully remove my symptoms. I've stocked up the cupboards and fridge and started yesterday. I decided against cutting out eggs and nightshades for now but will reconsider if I need to do it again. Prior to becoming ill I was a very active runner and had completed a 50k race last year. I'm really hoping to get back to my active life and fab job and hoping the whole30 will enable me to do so. Looking forward to getting to know you and I'm going to trawl the forum now for tips! Rachel x

Hi both, I'm on day 4 now and it's going well so far. I think it's early days to see any improvements but I'm enjoying my food! I'm missing a simple cup of tea in the morning though! Good luck with yours, let me know how it goes!

Wow that's amazing! I'm on day 8 and although I don't feel terrible anymore I haven't noticed any improvements yet and I still have less energy than normal. Are you doing the AIP too? I'm thinking of starting it.

I thought I would post here what I posted in another arthritis thread:

Posted Today, 07:46 AM

I have been on a mission to heal my osteoarthritis since my diagnosis in February. That is my number one goal for Whole 30.

Except for the night before last (stupid laundry maneuver), I have been pain free for about 10 days! I am also doing acupuncture and I highly recommend this as it was the only thing that gave me compete pain relief...even if it was just for a few hours in the beginning.

I can't take Nsaids (i took them for months and ended up with erisive gastritis...so learn from me and avoid them!), so for pain, when it hits, I use Dr Christopher's Cayenne heat ointment, heating pad for twenty minutes, followed by icing for twenty minutes, repeating heat and ice if needed.

I also try to be very aware of my movements, trying to avoid strain on my effected joints - SI Joint, L4/L5 and that has really helped, but I had to do a lot of research to understand what movements to avoid or alter.

Also I have found that a really hot Epsom salt bath will do wonders, so I do that at least twice a week.

I am currently on day 17 of my first Whole 30

• Moderators

I thought I would post here what I posted in another arthritis thread:

Posted Today, 07:46 AM

I have been on a mission to heal my osteoarthritis since my diagnosis in February. That is my number one goal for Whole 30.

Except for the night before last (stupid laundry maneuver), I have been pain free for about 10 days! I am also doing acupuncture and I highly recommend this as it was the only thing that gave me compete pain relief...even if it was just for a few hours in the beginning.

I can't take Nsaids (i took them for months and ended up with erisive gastritis...so learn from me and avoid them!), so for pain, when it hits, I use Dr Christopher's Cayenne heat ointment, heating pad for twenty minutes, followed by icing for twenty minutes, repeating heat and ice if needed.

I also try to be very aware of my movements, trying to avoid strain on my effected joints - SI Joint, L4/L5 and that has really helped, but I had to do a lot of research to understand what movements to avoid or alter.

Also I have found that a really hot Epsom salt bath will do wonders, so I do that at least twice a week.

I am currently on day 17 of my first Whole 30

Hey there - Please don't cross post identical content to multiple threads as per the forum rules

• Moderators

I've decided to start AIP tomorrow but I think I'll add brown rice in as a occasional replacement for the potatoes!

Do you mean you're giving up whole30 in order to do a different plan? Brown rice is not acceptable on Whole30.

• Moderators

Hi Rachel. I was diagnosed with RA and Fibromylgia a few years back and I am hoping for the same thing. Good luck. God bless....Kimberly T

I'd suggest that you go into your profile on here and change your name from your email address. Spam bots lurk and we wouldn't want you to fall victim to them... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to start AIP tomorrow but I think I'll add brown rice in as a occasional replacement for the potatoes!

Hows it going, Rachel?  I may be confused...but is rice allowed on Whole 30?  Also, you mentioned not being able to enjoy your morning tea.  I believe we are allowed to have coffee or tea, as long as it doesn't have non-compliant additives, and of course, no sugar or dairy.  It's not as much fun drinking it black, but I'm pretty sure it's okay.  :)

Archived