Just started - Day 4 and feeling drowsy and how I deal with cravings

vypen

Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad I joined Whole30!

This is day 4 for me. I used to drink a latte every single day. In the summer when they had treat receipts, where you can get a 2nd one for 2 bucks, I went for it. Our main staple is rice, (am Cambodian - Southeast Asia). I went on a Weight Watchers program before where I've cut rice out of my plans significantly.

So my background? All grains and sugar!!!

So far:

I've experienced cravings and drowsiness - the kind I'd get from nasty cold meds. Napping helps. It was like, I'm not fighting it, I'll nap.

At bed time, I fall asleep so easily. And I love that!

And the cravings? Luckily I started the book. I went grocery shopping. I stopped at the sweet treats section, I stared at it, WANTED it, longed for it and then I asked myself...what is it about the treat that makes me want it. More often than not, it's for comfort. The treats made me feel whole. Then I reminded myself what was in the sweet treats...nothing worth spending my money on and they aren't REAL food! So I then I walk away.

At home, I sometimes want my latte when I open up a book, or when I sit back to relax. I asked myself again why I want it. It goes back to comfort. Then I remember that I can get real comfort in snuggling with my toddler, or hugging my husband, or getting rest! So the latte disappears from my imagination.

So I remind myself again and again, feelings are just feelings and are never a good guide to reality. The book helps me understand the reality. Getting more rest, spending more time with family, doing active things is the reality I'd rather go for than the sweet treats!

This is only Day 4. I'll be struggling for sure and will surely ask for your help!! But while I have my mind, I'd thought I'd share my experience. Thanks so much for reading.

New member who wants to learn from your experience,

Vy

I used to enjoy a daily latte also...but I feel so much better without them! Coffee with coconut milk is now just as enjoyable and I feel good...I discovered that dairy products actually make me feel crummy. Best wishes!

I was envious of the people walking out of the Starbucks this morning but I know this is way better for me in the long run. Being a grain/sugar addict I feel your struggle and am so happy with myself getting through the past week without these things.

Keep up the fight!

Archived