Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

I see there are several people starting from 18-22. I think we should all come together on one feed. If it is this one great, if you want to on another one that is fine too. There is strength in numbers and I think we can get a great group going supporting each other through this journey. If you haven’t signed up for the daily emails you should they fantastic and really helped me the first time. I have signed up today.

My name is Elizabeth. I have had 1 successful 30 days on this program and it was amazing. I am excited to do it again. I addicted to sugar in all forms particularly fast foods. and am looking to kill the sugar dragon. I am overweight, high blood pressure and cholesterol, and have other health issues related to eating bad food and food I am allergic too.

Goals

1.     To stay motivated and be accountable with my choices. I will do this by coming hear every day and posting what I eat and reading your posts as well

2.     To kick the sugar dragon habit. Stop eating foods and drinking crap that make my body sick and make better choices by eating whole 30 foods and get off the crap drinks. And drink more water. I will do this by making menus for the week of what I am going to eat. Pick a day do a major food prep day so I have some things ready to eat or cook up fast. Make sure I have emergency foods. Make sure I leave every day with water and know how much I am going to drink.

3.     Doing some type of exercise and stretching every day.

I want to learn how to be able to go out with friends and family, deal with daily stress and be fine with my healthier food choices, being able to stick with it and not cheat because it hurts my body. I have 2 major family reunions coming up in July.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Elizabeth!  Great idea to join forces under one thread.  :)  I'm Jenn, and today is Day 1 of my very first Whole30!

I have a pretty good idea of the foods that make me feel awful, but I'm looking forward to cutting them all out at once to see how good I can really feel.  I know that dairy upsets my stomach.  Soy shuts off my thyroid and makes me exhausted (I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis). My nightly glass of red wine gives me restless legs and flares up my rosacea.  Eating refined carbs send my blood sugar into a tailspin and leaves me shaky.  I loooove all those foods, but the prospect of seeing how I feel when my body is actually not having to fight all of that is pretty exciting.  :)

I have a lot of weight to lose as well, but I know that that will be a nice added bonus to all the other health benefits from this way of eating.  Ideally I'd love to lose 100 pounds, to get to the weight I was in college.  More importantly, I'm looking forward to getting back the energy I had 10 years ago.  I'm a competitive swing dancer, but I barely go out dancing anymore, partly because I just don't have the stamina.  I look in the future at the "renewed me", dancing around with tons of energy and minus my current health issues, and I am SO excited!  Looking forward meeting my fellow Day-1-ers!  <3 

My husband and I start our first Whole30 tomorrow! I'm doing all the cooking, so that looks pretty intimidating on this side of the 30 days, but batch cooking and frozen veggies should help get me through it.

HI. I started on Sat 19th June so I am brand new. Been feeling pretty good. I live in Australia and am a bit reluctant to post on the Facebook support group page as it is public so everyone I know will see my posts and know I am doing this.

How has everyone been going so far? 

So i got over the biggest hurdle for my in the morning. No Fast food. Very happy. I had 2 fried eggs, roasted butternut squash, green beans, and coffee with coconut and almond milk. I am figuring out my menu for the week and what I need to buy and prep that I don't already have. I have not gotten my daily's yet which is a bummer but I am not letting that be an excuse not to start. I will let you know what I will be preparing for the week. What are you all planing on for this week?

I'd love to join this group! I'm starting tomorrow, I've never done Whole30 but have a few family members that are paleo. I'm a little nervous so I welcome any pointers and can't wait to encourage all of you. Let's do this!

Patti. Ladera Ranch, California

I did major shopping today. I haven't been able to food prep it but I will do a little tonight, in the morning, and as my week goes on. Some meats I will just put in the freezer for later.  

The freezer is my friend. I freeze a lot of meat for prep for later. I will get ground beef, lamb, turkey, chicken and make them into burgers raw to cook later. Or cook up the meat and portion it out so I can add spices and cook later. I also shred up chicken and turkey that I have cooked and portioned out for salads during the week.

What I currently have

Protein:

Italian Fennel Beef Sausage home made (will be making)

Tandoori Chicken Thighs (will be making)

Roasted Turkey breast (have frozen)

Apple Gate Turkey deli meat

Lamb (freezing)

Lamb Burgers (made them & frozen for later)

Beef Burgers (made them & frozen for later)

Bacon (whole 30 approved)

Prosciutto  (no sugar cured)

Eggs

Emergency meats:

Canned Tuna

Boiled Eggs

Shredded chicken and turkey (made from whole chicken and turkey breast did last week)

Veggies: (I will blanch some of these and have in containers so I can do a quick toaster oven or steam heat)

Green Beans

Asparagus

Watercress

Mix greens

Romaine

Sweet potato

Cauliflower

Broccolini

Fruit

Cherries

Strawberries

Peaches

Grapes

Pears

Apples

Planned meals are:

Fennel sausage with sweet potatoes and cooked veggie

Watercress with seared prosciutto and peaches

Lamb with asparagus and some starchy veggie or fruit

Tandoori chicken thighs with green beans and potatoes

Different salads with shredded chicken or turkey

Prosciutto cups and Eggs with fruit

Left overs and fill ins with what I have.

Every night I am going to write down my wins for the day and what I accomplished so that when I feel weak I can refer to them and help me get through it. It also make me feel great even if I am stressed and can give me a lift. Yes food and what I eat will be a big part of it.

Hi everyone! I started round 2 on the 18th. Round one ended June 7th. I do highly recommend pre planning your menus for the entire month if you can. It sounds crazy, I know, but it really helped me stick to it last round! I've nearly got this month taken care of planning wise--have maybe 10 meals left to go? I'll share last round and this round's menus as soon as I'm able, in case that helps anyone. ☺️ Anyone else using Instagram as a food log? I'd love to follow you-- realfoodmomof5

Day 2 brought on a headache yesterday--I indulged in a little bit too much chocolate chips (in hemp heart energy bites) and coconut ice cream (which had agave nectar in it) in the few days leading up to the start of round two. Woke this morning feeling good, though. We got this!

Thought I'd come back before I forgot--and while all my kids are sleeping!

Round 1's menu:

-Kebabs (chicken, shrimp, veggies)

-Grilled pork

-Leftovers (sandwiches for the kids)

-Blackened chicken with avocado crema

-Lemon Pepper Chicken

- Chicken tacos (lettuce shell for me)

- Baked artichoke chicken and asparagus

- Hamburgers (I did a burger stack with no bun--lettuce, avocado, patty, onion, tomato, prosciutto, homemade ketchup)

- Grilled Chicken

- Salmon patties

- Taco Nachos (mine was more like a salad, with a few plantain chips to go along)

- Zoodles with meat sauce

-Roasted Chicken

-Fajitas (I just ate my chicken and veggies in a bowl piled with lettuce and avocado)

-Homemade sausage with sweet potato and caramelized onion

-Hobo burgers (potato, squash, onion, and turkey patties covered with foil and baked)

-Pork carnitas

-Shrimp Stir Fry

-Grilled pork chops (using 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe's)

-Pina Colada Chicken

-Pork Carnitas (yes, again. I loved them so much We had them two weeks in a row lol)

- Chicken tacos

-Grilled Salmon

-Baked chicken

-Hamburgers

-Zoodles with Meat Sauce

-Chicken tenders (using almond and coconut flour)

-Salmon patties

(Not a full 30, but we ordered pizza for the kids twice this month. Those are nights I had whatever leftovers were available--which I was ok with.)

Round 2:

-Buffalo Chicken Casserole

-Fajitas

-Grilled jerk chicken

-Chicken Apple sausage

-Grilled fish

-Hobo burgers

- Sausage with sweet potato and onion

-Roasted shrimp

-Grilled pork chops

-Roast, gravy (made with arrowroot powder), mashed potatoes and green beans

-Lemon pepper chicken

-Grilled chicken

-Sloppy joes (I'll put mine on a sweet potato and will omit honey from the recipe)

-Fish tacos

-Garlic and rosemary balsamic roasted pork

-Buffalo ranch stuffed peppers

-Hot dogs (mine without a bun)

-Zoodles with meat sauce

-Bbq pulled pork

-Roasted chicken

-Grilled salmon

-Pork carnitas

-Shepherd's Pie

-Grilled steak

-Baked chicken

-Leftovers

-Fajitas

-Shrimp and artichoke linguine (Zoodles)

Lunches are usually leftovers when I have some (with five kids there's not always leftovers lol). I meal prep on Mondays and precook whatever food I'll use for lunch (and breakfast). I'll also do different variations of a chicken salad. Breakfast here lately has been egg casserole wrapped in a paper towel and reheated in the microwave for 30 seconds, a veggies of some kind (this morning was peppers and ranch), and fruit. I always eat my fruit serving for the day with breakfast for whatever reason. When I don't have that, I do 2 fried eggs, potatoes, avocado, and a veggie (leftover when I have it, precut peppers or carrots when I don't).

Hope this helps someone. Like I said-meal planning totally made my round 1! If there any recipes you're curious about let me know.

• Administrators

- Taco Nachos (mine was more like a salad, with a few plantain chips to go along)

Holy MOLY!  I'll be right over with my fork, your menu sounds amazing!  One small note though, unless you made those plantain "chips" yourself, they would not be compliant.  My guess is they are the Trader Joe ones? No deep fried (home or restaurant) or commercially prepared chips of any ilk are compliant.

Day 2: I'm exhausted! But I defeated the spaghetti squash monster last night (who was the first person brave enough to try and crack that thing open, only to figure out it had tasty squash inside?), and we loved the ground beef + homemade red sauce + spaghetti squash recipe.

Unexpected: I'm almost never hungry, and it takes a long time to eat each meal. I think I'm making too much food, but even last night, when we didn't really eat until 10:15 PM due to starting late and taking two hours to cook, I wasn't starving, and only felt hungry when the plates hit the table.

Revelation: Now that I'm eating heartier, healthier food, I feel inclined to eat less overall, so I need to reduce my habitual portion size.

Round 1's menu:

-Kebabs (chicken, shrimp, veggies)

-Grilled pork

-Leftovers (sandwiches for the kids)

-Blackened chicken with avocado crema

-Lemon Pepper Chicken

- Chicken tacos (lettuce shell for me)

- Baked artichoke chicken and asparagus

- Hamburgers (I did a burger stack with no bun--lettuce, avocado, patty, onion, tomato, prosciutto, homemade ketchup)

- Grilled Chicken

- Salmon patties

- Zoodles with meat sauce

-Roasted Chicken

-Fajitas (I just ate my chicken and veggies in a bowl piled with lettuce and avocado)

-Homemade sausage with sweet potato and caramelized onion

-Hobo burgers (potato, squash, onion, and turkey patties covered with foil and baked)

-Pork carnitas

-Shrimp Stir Fry

-Grilled pork chops (using 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe's)

-Pina Colada Chicken

-Pork Carnitas (yes, again. I loved them so much We had them two weeks in a row lol)

- Chicken tacos

-Grilled Salmon

-Baked chicken

-Hamburgers

-Zoodles with Meat Sauce

-Chicken tenders (using almond and coconut flour)

-Salmon patties

(Not a full 30, but we ordered pizza for the kids twice this month. Those are nights I had whatever leftovers were available--which I was ok with.)

Round 2:

-Buffalo Chicken Casserole

-Fajitas

-Grilled jerk chicken

-Chicken Apple sausage

-Grilled fish

-Hobo burgers

- Sausage with sweet potato and onion

-Roasted shrimp

-Grilled pork chops

-Roast, gravy (made with arrowroot powder), mashed potatoes and green beans

-Lemon pepper chicken

-Grilled chicken

-Sloppy joes (I'll put mine on a sweet potato and will omit honey from the recipe)

-Fish tacos

-Garlic and rosemary balsamic roasted pork

-Buffalo ranch stuffed peppers

-Hot dogs (mine without a bun)

-Zoodles with meat sauce

-Bbq pulled pork

-Roasted chicken

-Grilled salmon

-Pork carnitas

-Shepherd's Pie

-Grilled steak

-Baked chicken

-Leftovers

-Fajitas

-Shrimp and artichoke linguine (Zoodles)

Lunches are usually leftovers when I have some (with five kids there's not always leftovers lol). I meal prep on Mondays and precook whatever food I'll use for lunch (and breakfast). I'll also do different variations of a chicken salad. Breakfast here lately has been egg casserole wrapped in a paper towel and reheated in the microwave for 30 seconds, a veggies of some kind (this morning was peppers and ranch), and fruit. I always eat my fruit serving for the day with breakfast for whatever reason. When I don't have that, I do 2 fried eggs, potatoes, avocado, and a veggie (leftover when I have it, precut peppers or carrots when I don't).

Hope this helps someone. Like I said-meal planning totally made my round 1! If there any recipes you're curious about let me know.

Awesome looks so good

Today is actually my first day. Doing good so far. Started with a scrambled eggs, asperagus, ham, & sweet potatoes. Next time i will cut out the potatoes in the scramble. Lunch was turkey roll ups with bacon, avocado, carrots, and a mix greed salad. My cravings are manageable at this point but the negotiator (that voice in my head telling me to eat this and that) is starting to get a little loud. How is everyone doing? 

Ok.  Gotta ask. . . . any gender restrictions here?  Would having a man in the thread threaten anyone's self worth since, historically, males loose weight easier? Hope not.  Name's Ed.  I start tomorrow.  

Ed

Glad to have you, Ed! This isn't just about losing weight, and we should be happy for each other, regardless of scale victory or non-scale victory. If you post that you lost 20 pounds, I can say I'll be happy for you, and know that your journey and my journey are not comparable, and not because we're different genders.

• Administrators

Ok.  Gotta ask. . . . any gender restrictions here?  Would having a man in the thread threaten anyone's self worth since, historically, males loose weight easier? Hope not.  Name's Ed.  I start tomorrow.  

Ed

As a human's self worth is not linked to the size of their body or their ability to shed unwanted pounds, I think it should be fine.  Congrats on coming to Whole30!

(my guess/hope is that you didn't actually believe that anyone's self worth would be threatened by the amount of weight another participant may lose)  ;)

• Administrators

I do have a question, though, today I have had a stomach ache all day.  It feels like trapped gas.  Is this normal?  I did not sign up for the daily emails.  Thanks!

This would really depend on what you ate and what your normal digestion patterns are.  Raw veggies, nuts and large amounts of unfamiliar foods can all cause bloating and gas.  Feel free to open a thread in the Troubleshooting section of the forum and post what you've been eating (include portions and timing) and water, exercise etc.  We can take a look and see if anything stands out.

Hey everyone!  Quickie fly-by from me...  Day 3 and I am sleeeeeepy like whoa.  (It also didn't help that I had trouble sleeping last night, and then had to be up at 4am for a 1-day business trip today.  Oy.)  Thank goodness I was able to get home a little bit earlier than expected, and was able to nap for about an hour...  that gave me enough "juice" to be able to take a swing dancing lesson tonight.  Heading out in a bit after dinner.

Oh, and mommioandretti -- my husband (he's not on the forum, but is doing W30 with me) is having stomach issues too.  He's be nauseous for the past 2 days.  Hope you feel better soon!

Looking forward to catching up on everyone's posts!  Go team go!  :) 

Ed

All are welcome. When are you starting?

• Moderators

Apple Gate Turkey deli meat

Just a note for anyone else looking at this -- Applegate makes several varieties of deli meats, including multiple types of turkey -- many are not compliant, as they contain either sweeteners or carrageenan. Be really, really careful when purchasing this for your Whole30 that you've checked and double checked the ingredients.

Archived