Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

Mayo update: I think the eggs I bought this week might have been too small. Last night I finally had mayo success by using 2 eggs, but the same immersion blender method as before (

but with the Whole 30 book's ingredients). What a relief!

Yesterday's work offsite was great! I brought veggie sticks (red pepper, avocado, cucumber) wrapped in roast-beef slices as well as baby carrots, apples and a hard boiled egg. It kept well and tasted delicious! My team ended up going on a pretty intensive hike after lunch and I huffed it to the top of the peak with everyone else. This was after I'd also done a spin class yesterday morning, so this was definitely a NSV!

We made Shepherd's pie from the book last night for dinner. One note is that it fits much better in a 9x9 pan than the 9x12 as described in the book. Very tasty but could use a little acid... maybe some tomato paste? 

Well done you, spin class AND a hike! I bet the legs were sore after that day!

That Shepherds pie is one of my favourites, so comforting and delicious - I hadn't thought to add a bit of tomato paste but i think i'll try that next time!

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 25 here, I can't believe it's almost over! I wish I didn't have that wedding coming up as I think I'd actually like to extend this W30 to reap some more benefits. I do think I'll mostly continue eating this way where I can though, and think about doing another W30 again later in the year if needed, and most likely one next January after the festive period!

I am a bit disappointed I haven't experienced the tiger blood, particularly as i was living a fairly healthy, active lifestyle prior to this and i do feel like my workouts are still suffering a bit. However I'm making a list of NSV's that have been achieved so I can see it's definitely not a waste of time!!

Have a great day everyone!

Elizabeth - I am so sorry to hear about your mom's passing last year.  I went through an almost identical thing with my dad, he passed back in December.  It's one of the reasons I became so unhealthy -- for the year and a half before he passed post-stroke, I handled my sorrow over his situation (and the stress of being his caregiver) by hitting the local McDonald's several times a week.  I'm so impressed at how strong you've been through all of your day to day challenges this whole time...  and I'm sure you'll find a healthy and uplifting way to honor the love you have for your mom.  *hug*

Here's the recipe for that chicken dish...  http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/pan-seared-chicken-with-balsamic-cream-sauce-mushrooms-and-onions

I made 3 changes to make it W30 compliant:

1.  didn't use the parmesan cheese

2.  used ghee instead of butter

3.  replace the heavy cream with 1/2 cup of coconut milk 

I also cooked the mushrooms before adding them to the pan, because I happen to like my mushrooms to be well-done.  Totally not necessary, but a taste preference.  :)

Have a wonderful day, everyone.  We're in the home stretch, we got this!!!

Ooh a new NSV, my hair feels so soft and shiny today and I just remembered when I went home on the weekend my Mum telling me how much my hair had grown - the last time she saw me was exactly a week before I started a W30.

This is extra exciting for me as i've been trying to grow out a fringe for the last year!

Jen - that chicken dish looks amazing!!

Well I happy to say I feel A LOT better today. Good mood, not tired and I can actually think and have a conversation. All I did different was drink less water. I'm almost positive my sodium was too low. I've been adding salt to my food but I was drinking around 150 oz of water and I only need a minimum of 65 a day. Thank you all again for helping me get through yesterday:)

Lauren - I just want to say thank you as I read this comment the other day and it made me think about my water intake/sodium levels and I haven't been salting my food but continuing to stick to my 3-4 litres of water a day, with tea & coffee too. Cut back on the water and started adding more salt and feeling more human, still tired over here but getting there!!

Day 24 here, still no tiger blood, but I need to be drinking more water. Getting excited to do that last W30 trip to the grocery store! While it will be a little easier to shop once I know what does/does not irritate my body, I don't think I can stop reading labels. I'm still shocked at how much junk is in our food. I'll also need to find a new scale this weekend, since I tossed the old one (that did not work well anyway). Also trying to get through some drama and stress right now. Trying to repair a relationship isn't easy, though it pales in comparison to some of the challenges the rest of you have faced while staying strong. I also have a presentation on day 32 that will have a major impact on my career, and I'm just now getting the guidelines for it from my superiors.

One thing I'm taking away from this is that I would really like to buy local, from the source, more than I do now, even on Whole30. Did a little Google search, found there are just loads of farmers' markets occurring in my area, including one that's just a five-minute drive away on Saturday morning. I know Central Market buys locally whenever they can, but I'm hoping to find even more goodness, and not just produce.

I truly appreciate all of you sharing your experiences - your wins, your struggles, your funny moments, your advice - as well as your encouragement. I've gotten hooked on this forum, and I hope we can keep in touch at least a bit after the 30 days are over.

Elizabeth - I am so sorry to hear about your mom's passing last year.  I went through an almost identical thing with my dad, he passed back in December.  It's one of the reasons I became so unhealthy -- for the year and a half before he passed post-stroke, I handled my sorrow over his situation (and the stress of being his caregiver) by hitting the local McDonald's several times a week.  I'm so impressed at how strong you've been through all of your day to day challenges this whole time...  and I'm sure you'll find a healthy and uplifting way to honor the love you have for your mom.  *hug*

Here's the recipe for that chicken dish...  http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/pan-seared-chicken-with-balsamic-cream-sauce-mushrooms-and-onions

I also cooked the mushrooms before adding them to the pan, because I happen to like my mushrooms to be well-done.  Totally not necessary, but a taste preference.   :)

Sorry to hear about your dad as well. I can't imagine the pain Elizabeth and you must have felt during this time. I have no idea what to say in situations like this except that I'm so sorry, and stay strong.

That recipe sounds delish! If wine is not an irritant for you, I bet some red wine would be good in the recipe. I've used a little while sauteeing mushrooms and really enjoyed it.

Thanks to all of you for your ongoing comments - and recipes! I've been lurking here all along but didn't have too much to add. I'm on day 22, and honestly think I want to continue once the 30 days are over. I've discovered the fun of cooking again, and have kept that sugar dragon far away. I do hear its siren song every now and then and that's what I really need to steer clear of. I had timed this to end on my birthday, with visions of wine and cake as a celebration, but now I don't really want to do that! So instead of  gathering at a fantastic local restaurant that's become somewhat of a tradition, I'm proposing a picnic in the park (I live in Chicago and our parks are beautiful!) listening to the symphony concert, with good healthy food. I must say that I miss that glass of chilled rose wine this summer, but it's a trade off I'm willing to make. I may allow myself a glass now and then, but for the most part I plan to stay pretty compliant. 

It took my up until the end of week 2, into week 3, to begin to feel better. I had that fog brain for far too long!! And the first two weeks of digestive issues - don't want to revisit that anytime soon! But now I feel calm, energetic, mentally awake - all the good promises are starting to show up!

Here's to a good week and weekend everyone!

Thanks to all of you for your ongoing comments - and recipes! I've been lurking here all along but didn't have too much to add. I'm on day 22, and honestly think I want to continue once the 30 days are over. I've discovered the fun of cooking again, and have kept that sugar dragon far away. I do hear its siren song every now and then and that's what I really need to steer clear of. I had timed this to end on my birthday, with visions of wine and cake as a celebration, but now I don't really want to do that! So instead of  gathering at a fantastic local restaurant that's become somewhat of a tradition, I'm proposing a picnic in the park (I live in Chicago and our parks are beautiful!) listening to the symphony concert, with good healthy food. I must say that I miss that glass of chilled rose wine this summer, but it's a trade off I'm willing to make. I may allow myself a glass now and then, but for the most part I plan to stay pretty compliant. 

It took my up until the end of week 2, into week 3, to begin to feel better. I had that fog brain for far too long!! And the first two weeks of digestive issues - don't want to revisit that anytime soon! But now I feel calm, energetic, mentally awake - all the good promises are starting to show up!

Welcome and congratulations on your wins!!

Thanks for chiming in, Carol! Now that you mention it, I'm feeling more calm too. Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Day 24 here, still no tiger blood, but I need to be drinking more water. Getting excited to do that last W30 trip to the grocery store! While it will be a little easier to shop once I know what does/does not irritate my body, I don't think I can stop reading labels. I'm still shocked at how much junk is in our food. I'll also need to find a new scale this weekend, since I tossed the old one (that did not work well anyway). Also trying to get through some drama and stress right now. Trying to repair a relationship isn't easy, though it pales in comparison to some of the challenges the rest of you have faced while staying strong. I also have a presentation on day 32 that will have a major impact on my career, and I'm just now getting the guidelines for it from my superiors.

One thing I'm taking away from this is that I would really like to buy local, from the source, more than I do now, even on Whole30. Did a little Google search, found there are just loads of farmers' markets occurring in my area, including one that's just a five-minute drive away on Saturday morning. I know Central Market buys locally whenever they can, but I'm hoping to find even more goodness, and not just produce.

I truly appreciate all of you sharing your experiences - your wins, your struggles, your funny moments, your advice - as well as your encouragement. I've gotten hooked on this forum, and I hope we can keep in touch at least a bit after the 30 days are over.

I agree - we should get a thread going in reintroduction's and just keep on posting! I think I'll miss this group if we don't!

Good luck with your presentation and I hope everything is okay with your relationship.

Slept better last night. And my attitude is better today. I was able to make some extra brussle sprouts, magic mushroom powder, and some pesto last night. I also prepped some bison and hamburgers that I froze for later. Today I am hoping to get some veggies sautéed. It started as a ratatouille but I am not doing onions, garlic, tomatoes, or peppers. I am subbing mushrooms, parsnips and maybe some sweet potatoes. Then I am topping it with the pesto. Hoping it is good. I am also making more pork sausage today. It has been hard to get a full prep day so I have to do it daily which makes it a little difficult. I get home and I don’t fell like cooking. Struggling to get out of the habit of plugging myself into the TV set when I get home. I am not watching nearly as much TV as I was before and am removing shows from my TV list because I just don’t have the time.

I REALLY need to pick up and clean the house. It is very cluttered and starting to drive me nuts. I need to do a little each day since I don’t have the time to do one big pick up. I keep getting myself distracted with other things that need to get done and then don’t do the things that need to get done.

I am behind on the daily’s but day 20 was great dealing with media, cravings, and body image. I don’t know about any of you but I find I can’t watch the food commercials very often. I have also stopped watching food network. I used to love watching cooking shows but 90% of what they are making I can’t eat. It has helped with the Whole 30. Anyone know of paleo cooking shows?

Have a great day.

I do too. We can become Facebook friends and also exchange emails with each other. We can PM them if we don't want to do it on the forum. You all have been so encouraging and helpful. I love the farmers markets and the fruit is so much better there. I need to look again as well to find ones that are on the days I can go. BTW you are going to rock that presentation!!

I also cooked the mushrooms before adding them to the pan, because I happen to like my mushrooms to be well-done.  Totally not necessary, but a taste preference.   :)

Sorry about your Dad. I am with you with the getting unhealthy. It started with my dad 2010 and continued through my Mom. It is so hard to lose parents. I am so glad you are here with us on this journey. I can not wait to try this. Can't do the onions so I am thinking what I can add instead. Sounds so good

Wonderful birthday plans. Happy Early Birthday.

Slept better last night. And my attitude is better today. I was able to make some extra brussle sprouts, magic mushroom powder, and some pesto last night. I also prepped some bison and hamburgers that I froze for later. Today I am hoping to get some veggies sautéed. It started as a ratatouille but I am not doing onions, garlic, tomatoes, or peppers. I am subbing mushrooms, parsnips and maybe some sweet potatoes. Then I am topping it with the pesto. Hoping it is good. I am also making more pork sausage today. It has been hard to get a full prep day so I have to do it daily which makes it a little difficult. I get home and I don’t fell like cooking. Struggling to get out of the habit of plugging myself into the TV set when I get home. I am not watching nearly as much TV as I was before and am removing shows from my TV list because I just don’t have the time.

I REALLY need to pick up and clean the house. It is very cluttered and starting to drive me nuts. I need to do a little each day since I don’t have the time to do one big pick up. I keep getting myself distracted with other things that need to get done and then don’t do the things that need to get done.

I am behind on the daily’s but day 20 was great dealing with media, cravings, and body image. I don’t know about any of you but I find I can’t watch the food commercials very often. I have also stopped watching food network. I used to love watching cooking shows but 90% of what they are making I can’t eat. It has helped with the Whole 30. Anyone know of paleo cooking shows?

Have a great day.

I'm watching a LOT less TV too. And I'm finding I get really irritated with food commercials when I *do* watch TV... I see right through their hidden messages. I don't know if it's on right now - I don't have cable - but Top Chef is one of my favorite food-related shows, and there's repercussions in the show if you use pre-packaged stuff. They also only tend to use top-notch things, so you're less likely to see unfriendly oils and other ingredients. I've tweaked a few of the recipes I remember from watching the show to add to my cooking list. Even if it's not on, there are probably episodes available somewhere.

I had timed this to end on my birthday, with visions of wine and cake as a celebration, but now I don't really want to do that! So instead of  gathering at a fantastic local restaurant that's become somewhat of a tradition, I'm proposing a picnic in the park (I live in Chicago and our parks are beautiful!) listening to the symphony concert, with good healthy food. 

That sounds like a PERFECT way to celebrate your birthday!!!!  I love it.  Congrats on your successes so far!  In the home stretch!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes

having these for lunch today with roasted cauliflower, mayo and cherries. Oh my they are amazing, so much better than the cakes from the book!!

And less expensive too! What frustrated me most about the salmon cakes (aka sad fish scones) from the book was how much money I wasted on the fish since we made a double recipe expecting deliciousness (I've since found a cheaper source of good canned salmon). I'll definitely try these

Lauren - I just want to say thank you as I read this comment the other day and it made me think about my water intake/sodium levels and I haven't been salting my food but continuing to stick to my 3-4 litres of water a day, with tea & coffee too. Cut back on the water and started adding more salt and feeling more human, still tired over here but getting there!!

I'm glad I was able to help you! I'm still drinking about 20oz of coffee, 1 large glass of iced tea, and about 60 oz of water a day and salting my food and I feel great. I wish I had known from the beginning that there was such thing as drinking too much water. After I started to feel better I realized that I've probably been drinking too much water for the last couple years. When I was pregnant I was told to drink a lot of water and I usually had a couple gallons a day and was in a constant fog and exhausted. I thought it was just part of being pregnant but I'm convinced I was drinking way too much water. I'm so glad nothing terrible happened because of it

• Moderators

Not sure what shallow frying is, but they were in the oven with some oil and salt. Hope I didn't screw up...

What you did is fine. I assume SugarCube means pan frying by shallow frying -- where the food isn't completely submerged in the oil the way it would be in deep frying.

What you did is fine. I assume SugarCube means pan frying by shallow frying -- where the food isn't completely submerged in the oil the way it would be in deep frying.

Shallow frying being pan fried in a skiff of oil of some sort.  Baked is a-ok!

Thanks ladies :D

• Administrators

And less expensive too! What frustrated me most about the salmon cakes (aka sad fish scones) from the book was how much money I wasted on the fish since we made a double recipe expecting deliciousness (I've since found a cheaper source of good canned salmon). I'll definitely try these

You didn't like the salmon cakes?!  I think you might be the first person I've ever heard of who didn't like them.  ;)

You didn't like the salmon cakes?! I think you might be the first person I've ever heard of who didn't like them. ;)

I didn't either, they were very dry! I thought I did something wrong. I couldn't find canned sweet potatoes that didn't have copious amounts of added sugar, so I used fresh. Might that be how I was missing moisture?

Archived