Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

Hey everyone!  Quickie fly-by from me...  Day 3 and I am sleeeeeepy like whoa.  (It also didn't help that I had trouble sleeping last night, and then had to be up at 4am for a 1-day business trip today.  Oy.)  Thank goodness I was able to get home a little bit earlier than expected, and was able to nap for about an hour...  that gave me enough "juice" to be able to take a swing dancing lesson tonight.  Heading out in a bit after dinner.

Oh, and mommioandretti -- my husband (he's not on the forum, but is doing W30 with me) is having stomach issues too.  He's be nauseous for the past 2 days.  Hope you feel better soon!

Looking forward to catching up on everyone's posts!  Go team go!   :)

I was very tired too and will be feeling the same in the next few days. That's awesome your husband is doing it too. Hope he feels better soon. Bone broth helped me a lot with being nauseous.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

You are right ShannonM816 I need to keep a list of those with me. My last Whole 30 several years ago I got the info that brand was ok. I will now throw them away. 

I think you can freeze them for later, if none of the ingredients bother you, or maybe give them away.

There are very few brands of anything where we can say that 100% of their items are compliant, even some of the brands that make official Whole30 Approved items also make items that aren't compliant, and even things that once were compliant can change over time or vary from country to country or even in different regions of the same country, so it's always important to read labels.

I made it through day 1. Yay. Learn a good thing about making sure you read ingredients and know what additives you are supposed to avoid. I did good. The cheating voices were not too loud most of the day. I was able to get a lot done to day. I have Tandoori chicken thighs marinating for dinner tomorrow night. I hope I like it. Never tried it so only doing ½ recipe. Going to Escondido tomorrow to see my niece so I will need to bring some food with me so I don’t have to worry too much about food. We will most likely be going out for lunch so I just need to make sure were we go I can get something to eat.

Food today

Scrambled eggs w/ asparagus, ham, and sweet potatoes. I think it would have been better with regular potatoes

Turkey wrap with carrots, avocado, bacon and mix greens

Rx bar Cinnamon Apple

Pistachios w/ peaches

Rib Eye steak, artichoke w/ ghee, and roasted new potatoes. This is the first time I have done the potatoes in the Nuwave oven. They turned out great. It is really just too hot to turn on the stove.

Hope everyone had a great day

Hi Everyone!

I started my Whole 30 4 days ago (June 19th) and it would be great to join a thread with people in a similar boat!

I've done a meal plan for the week which has helped massively and everything I've eaten's been pretty tasty!

I've been generally feeling okay but I'm quite tired today. How's everyone else feeling? I don't seem to be following the timeline but I know everyone's different.

I've not managed to stop snacking, but when I have I've limited these to a handful of nuts.

I exercise quite a bit and wonder if i'm maybe not eating enough, having 3 meals and maybe a pre-workout handful of nuts if i'm hungry. Generally exercising before dinner so fitting in a 4th meal isn't really practical. Wondering if that's why i'm tired/not completely avoiding snacks as getting plenty of fats/protein/veg/carbs. also aware that it is early days so maybe i just bide my time!

Would love to hear from you all!

Kate 

Hi Everyone!

I started my Whole 30 4 days ago (June 19th) and it would be great to join a thread with people in a similar boat!

I've done a meal plan for the week which has helped massively and everything I've eaten's been pretty tasty!

I've been generally feeling okay but I'm quite tired today. How's everyone else feeling? I don't seem to be following the timeline but I know everyone's different.

I've not managed to stop snacking, but when I have I've limited these to a handful of nuts.

I exercise quite a bit and wonder if i'm maybe not eating enough, having 3 meals and maybe a pre-workout handful of nuts if i'm hungry. Generally exercising before dinner so fitting in a 4th meal isn't really practical. Wondering if that's why i'm tired/not completely avoiding snacks as getting plenty of fats/protein/veg/carbs. also aware that it is early days so maybe i just bide my time!

Kate 

Welcome. Yes each of us are different. I am day 2 and been dealing with a headache since minnight this morning. I am very tired today. A moderator will be better at answering the question about exercise and eating than I can. There is also a place where you can list what you are eating and they can view it and help you along. I will check where that is and let you know. For me sometimes it is just adding more carbs to help with energy especially if you are exercising a lot. So I will have sweet potatoes or something like that. 

Running out of the house now. Going to Escondido to see my neice. I am having egg salad romain boats for breakfast, I have made some raw veggies, fruit, turkey to take with me plus some RX bars. Will do a salad for lunch. Feeling better since I got up. Very tired thought but at least the headache is gone. How is everyone else doing? Have a great day

Hi! I'm Carol, in Chicago, and I am starting today. I appreciate all the great info already posted here! My goal is to do a major reset of what I eat. My demons are sugar and carbs, and as I live alone and work from home, I can sometimes eat out of boredome not hunger. I go out to eat a lot, which will be very challenging, and it's summer and I love my French rose wine. But I understand that in the grand scheme of things, this is not hard to give up some things for a while. I like the perspective of "fighting cancer is hard," eating without sugar, alcohol, and carbs is not hard. Anyway, I look forward to all of us moving forward successfully!

Good Morning,

Jeanne in Santa Barbara here, joining this group at Day 1 June 22nd!   I will keep reading and sharing as we all go along.  I'm a busy working mom in a household where there will not be Whole30 going on except for me.  I work with kids, driving to their homes, so I definitely need to have whole30 compliant food in the car to keep from swerving into In and Out Burgers!   I am thinking I can do this, however!

Glad to be with you all - will let you know how day 1 was!

jeanne

• Administrators

I made it through day 1. Yay. Learn a good thing about making sure you read ingredients and know what additives you are supposed to avoid. I did good. The cheating voices were not too loud most of the day. I was able to get a lot done to day. I have Tandoori chicken thighs marinating for dinner tomorrow night. I hope I like it. Never tried it so only doing ½ recipe. Going to Escondido tomorrow to see my niece so I will need to bring some food with me so I don’t have to worry too much about food. We will most likely be going out for lunch so I just need to make sure were we go I can get something to eat.

Food today

Scrambled eggs w/ asparagus, ham, and sweet potatoes. I think it would have been better with regular potatoes

Turkey wrap with carrots, avocado, bacon and mix greens

Rx bar Cinnamon Apple

Pistachios w/ peaches

Rib Eye steak, artichoke w/ ghee, and roasted new potatoes. This is the first time I have done the potatoes in the Nuwave oven. They turned out great. It is really just too hot to turn on the stove.

Hope everyone had a great day

Hey EJSmadhatter; take another quick look at that ham.  99.9% of ham is cured with sugar which would not be OK for whole30.  

• Administrators

Hi Everyone!

Kate 

Depending on what you do for exercise and how depleted you are at the close of your session, you need pre and post workout food.  If you are comfortable not having preworkout (protein and fat), that's fine but you really, really should be having post workout food (lean protein and starchy veg).  The post workout food is not a whole meal but a few bites of the protein and some starchy veggie.  This should not replace your regular next meal.  You will recover quicker and may experience less general fatigue if you properly nourish your body post-workout.

Be careful on the nuts, too.  They are a poor fat source when eaten in large quantities and they can be harshly disruptive to your gut as well as being hard to stop for some once they start.  Nuts are recommended to be limited on Whole30 as an occassional fat source.  Think one closed handful every other day or so.  If you are legit hungry between your meals, do two things.  First, eat something.  Preferably protein and fat and veggies but if not all three, protein-fat or protein-veg.  Second, start making your meals larger so that you are getting a solid 4-5 hours in between without the need to snack.

I just started my second round of Whole30 Monday, June 20th. I did my first round October-November of 2015, I actually kept going and did my first Non-Whole 30 food (actually wine) at Thanksgiving and it was 47 days I think total. I actually stayed pretty close to plan until March of this year, 2016, when all heck broke loose. A Birthday, Anniversary, Traveling to New Orleans (a city that most just eat their way through), etc all in one month and have slowly been letting my sugar dragon sneak back up on me.

I tried to break the cycle a few times on my own, cutting out "sweet stuff" but then I realized that my addiction is bigger than me already....like a true drug addict, yep that's me, only my drug of choice is SUGAR. I noticed a pattern, I started eating more dried fruit, Larabars and other "Whole 30 compliant" packaged foods. I tell you, this lead to my downfall!!!! But I am going into this second round with my eyes wide open from those triggers.

I realized Friday of last week that it's time to just embark on another Whole30. The first go was AMAZING for me. I most definitely felt the tigerblood. I had more energy than I could ever imagine, I constantly wanted to move, my sleep was rock solid, my mood was great and by the end I was making great food choices all on my own. That is until March...which it's been an uphill battle since then.

My weekly exercise is typically 3 days of 1 hour high intensity boot camp (+ 30 minutes of strength training but only for the next month) and 3 days of running (alternating days obviously). The last go I definitely went through that stage where I felt like my legs were made of lead, but I just kept on keeping on and made it through to the other side with WAY MORE endurance and strength. Not to mention I looked fabulous,  dropped several pounds, and my body was burning fat instead of recently eaten carbs and sugar. I ran a 10K in February with an average 8:27 pace - ya'll this is AMAZING for me, my typical run is at a 9:30/10 minute pace. When my body got used to burning the fat instead of instant fuel....I actually felt better, but I wont lie I wanted to quit for 2 weeks when I was adjusting. 

All that said, it's time to get back at it. I did not do the forum last time around because I had my husband supporting me and doing it with me, but I think I need the support this go round, I couldn't find a buddy. I feel like it might be easier for me to try and "cheat" or something, which I do not want to do. Maybe a daily dose of reading these forums will help me stay on track.

Hey everyone!  Hope you're all having a great day.  I'm mid-Day 4 and feeling good today....  enjoying a lunch of leftover grilled chicken thighs, and a big salad with homemade tahini vinaigrette dressing.  Tonight the hubs is making grilled Caribbean shrimp with cauliflower rice for dinner, can't wait!   :)

Here's an interesting thing I realized today: I may NOT have a sensitivity to eggs!  I love eggs and eat them several times a week...  but let's just say that, digestively, it doesn't usually go so well afterwards.   :P  I was worried about how I'd feel after breakfast doing W30...  But I've had NO problem with eggs over the past 4 days, and I've eaten them every single day!  So I'm thinking maybe the problem isn't with eggs themselves, but the combo of eggs and butter (if I fry them) or eggs and regular mayo (if I "devil" them).  I'm so excited to think that I can finally eat them without an issue!  Fingers crossed that this continues!

HALP! Someone brought doughnuts today, and while I had a good breakfast of ground beef, an egg, and avocado and tomato slices, I can almost smell the sugar from here. It doesn't help that my coworkers keep teasing me and asking if I want a doughnut.  :o I'm not feeling as exhausted and cloudy as I did yesterday, but nonetheless, the temptation is strong.

• Moderators

HALP! Someone brought doughnuts today, and while I had a good breakfast of ground beef, an egg, and avocado and tomato slices, I can almost smell the sugar from here. It doesn't help that my coworkers keep teasing me and asking if I want a doughnut. :o I'm not feeling as exhausted and cloudy as I did yesterday, but nonetheless, the temptation is strong.

Hang in there, doughnuts are not worth blowing your whole30 for.

Bad start, kind of.  Woke up late.  Ordered a spinach, bacon omelette, nixing any bread or sauce and the cheese.  Picked it up after my first meeting.  (Planning has never been a strong suit for me).  Lunch was half rotisserie  chicken from Dierbergs, a supermarket here, and a lettuce, spinach, broccoli, onion salad from the salad bar, no dressing.  Going to have a small steak and green beans for dinner.

Pulling the day out of the fire.

Ed

• Administrators

Bad start, kind of.  Woke up late.  Ordered a spinach, bacon omelette, nixing any bread or sauce and the cheese.  Picked it up after my first meeting.  (Planning has never been a strong suit for me).  Lunch was half rotisserie  chicken from Dierbergs, a supermarket here, and a lettuce, spinach, broccoli, onion salad from the salad bar, no dressing.  Going to have a small steak and green beans for dinner.

Pulling the day out of the fire.

Ed

Hi Ed, devil's advocate questions below.

Did you check with whomever created the omelette that there was no dairy mixed into the eggs and did you ask what oil/fat it is cooked with?  What about the bacon in the omelette? Sugar?

Did you enquire as to the ingredients in the rotisserie chicken? Most deli rotisserie chickens are soaked in/marinated in non-compliant ingredients.  The only one that I have ever heard of to date is the Whole Foods "naked" chicken.  Even if the chicken is not seasoned, chances are it has a host of nasties in it that you would want to be aware of/avoid for your Whole30.

Steak and green beans sounds great!  A chimichurri topping or a nice sliced avocado for fat would be great with that!   :)

Hi everyone! What a great group! I've been reading all the posts and have been so encouraged, thanks. Elizabeth thanks so much for keeping us posted on your food choices. I love how you said you're going to write down your wins each day, great idea! I know I started this to feel healthy and drop a few (30) lbs. but when I was really thinking about it yesterday I honestly want to show myself I can really stick to something for 30 days!

Ed welcome, so glad you joined us. Amy I love your list of meals they all sounds so good and have given me some new ideas. Jenn, when I saw that you were on your way to a swing dance class, I thought from your pic I could really see you doing that. How was it? Who do you dance with? Monica, my husband is doing this with me too. We both started yesterday the 21st. Sandy I can total feel your pain with sugar, I know I'll miss my wine but I know we can do this! Today is my second day I'm feeling really good. I'm sure I'll have my rough days but that's what this group is for right? Yesterday I went to a farmers market, then Whole Foods, came home and did some prep work so my husband (Dave) I are set for the week. Keep up the good work! Talk later

Patti

Hi everyone! What a great group! I've been reading all the posts and have been so encouraged, thanks. Elizabeth thanks so much for keeping us posted on your food choices. I love how you said you're going to write down your wins each day, great idea! I know I started this to feel healthy and drop a few (30) lbs. but when I was really thinking about it yesterday I honestly want to show myself I can really stick to something for 30 days!

Ed welcome, so glad you joined us. Amy I love your list of meals they all sounds so good and have given me some new ideas. Jenn, when I saw that you were on your way to a swing dance class, I thought from your pic I could really see you doing that. How was it? Who do you dance with? Monica, my husband is doing this with me too. We both started yesterday the 21st. Sandy I can total feel your pain with sugar, I know I'll miss my wine but I know we can do this! Today is my second day I'm feeling really good. I'm sure I'll have my rough days but that's what this group is for right? Yesterday I went to a farmers market, then Whole Foods, came home and did some prep work so my husband (Dave) I are set for the week. Keep up the good work! Talk later

Patti

Thanks for joining us, Patti! I think that's a great goal - sticking to it for 30 days. I've had some real willpower wins today. I stayed away from the doughnuts! My work team is just closing a weight loss competition (I was participating), and I was required to do the final weigh-in, so... I worked it out so that I never have to see the number on the scale.

Willpower has been a challenge for me on previous plans, but resisting temptation (to eat the doughnut, to go to sleep before the kitchen is clean and the foods for tomorrow are prepped, to step on the scale, to dive headfirst into the biggest bag of Skittles they sell) is a good habit to have. There are so many different types of temptation, and what this plan has done for me is shown that they are all related. Once you give in to one, it becomes a slippery slope for the others. If I hadn't stayed up and prepped foods for today and cleaned up my kitchen, there's no way I would have been able to bring breakfast with me and prep my slow-cooker meal for dinner, and it would have been that much easier to give in to temptation for breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc.

Congratulations on making the choice to have a better lifestyle! And WELCOME!  :)

Good Morning,

Jeanne in Santa Barbara here, joining this group at Day 1 June 22nd!   I will keep reading and sharing as we all go along.  I'm a busy working mom in a household where there will not be Whole30 going on except for me.  I work with kids, driving to their homes, so I definitely need to have whole30 compliant food in the car to keep from swerving into In and Out Burgers!   I am thinking I can do this, however!

Glad to be with you all - will let you know how day 1 was!

jeanne

You can do it, Jeanne! And welcome!  :) If you find some foods you really like that are great for being on-the-go, would you pretty please share?

ladyshanny,

This may be my first day of my first Whole30, but, I did look at the ingredients of the chicken.  It had 4:  Chicken, Water, Sea Salt and Chicken Broth (which I though is what you get when you put chicken into salty water.)  As to the omelette, no, but I will check the nutritional information after work.   What then, push the start to tomorrow?

Ed

• Administrators

ladyshanny,

This may be my first day of my first Whole30, but, I did look at the ingredients of the chicken.  It had 4:  Chicken, Water, Sea Salt and Chicken Broth (which I though is what you get when you put chicken into salty water.)  As to the omelette, no, but I will check the nutritional information after work.   What then, push the start to tomorrow?

Ed

Nice job on the chicken!  It's almost like you found a unicorn!   ;)  Compliant rotisserie chx are really rare to find, lucky you!   :)

As far as the omelette, if it has dairy in it or was cooked in soy, your best bet would be a start over in order to maximise your reset because your gut resets each time you ingest an irritant such as dairy (bad) or soy (horrendous).  Sorry!  There's a "Start Over" article linked in my signature below that helps explain.

Hi! I'm Carol, in Chicago, and I am starting today. I appreciate all the great info already posted here! My goal is to do a major reset of what I eat. My demons are sugar and carbs, and as I live alone and work from home, I can sometimes eat out of boredome not hunger. I go out to eat a lot, which will be very challenging, and it's summer and I love my French rose wine. But I understand that in the grand scheme of things, this is not hard to give up some things for a while. I like the perspective of "fighting cancer is hard," eating without sugar, alcohol, and carbs is not hard. Anyway, I look forward to all of us moving forward successfully!

Archived