Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

• Administrators

I didn't either, they were very dry! I thought I did something wrong. I couldn't find canned sweet potatoes that didn't have copious amounts of added sugar, so I used fresh. Might that be how I was missing moisture?

That's how I've always done them, with a real sweet potato. Did you use a garnet one or a white one? White I can see being drier, for sure. But when done with the orange ones, I've always liked it.

The real winner of this recipe (which I use from Well Fed by Mel Joulwan) is the tartar sauce to put over them. Perhaps I only really think of the salmon cakes as a carrier for the tartar?  LOL!

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

That's how I've always done them, with a real sweet potato. Did you use a garnet one or a white one? White I can see being drier, for sure. But when done with the orange ones, I've always liked it.

The real winner of this recipe (which I use from Well Fed by Mel Joulwan) is the tartar sauce to put over them. Perhaps I only really think of the salmon cakes as a carrier for the tartar?  LOL!

If you accidentally cook them even a few minutes too long, I find they are like eating drywall... I take them out of the oven before they're done so they can finish up on the pan... 

LOL @ the previous poster calling them sad fish scones! Dead!

I was very grumpy this morning and everything was making me mad. Finally chilled out before I got to work so I didn't go off on my pain in the butt employer who would drive Gandhi crazy

Been listening to classical music all night while making dinner with extras and trying my own version of ratatouille which turned out really good. But boy is it labor intensive!!! It has been so soothing. I might not even turn on the TV tonight. I am going to try the tuna cakes recipe that just came up. Too tire to make tonight so I will make tomorrow. 

ratatouille:

1/2 C parsnips

1/2+ C egg plant 

1/2 C of zucchini 

1/2 C yellow squash

1/2 C of mushrooms

1/4 C broth

Pesto to taste

Chop all into the size you want and keep them separate. Then you will cook each separately til tender adding any oil/fat as needed. To really soften veggies I added them all together and put in the broth to simmer for about 10-15 mins with the lid on. Then I turned off the heat and added the pesto to taste. It turned out really good. You can really add as much veggies as you want. I only wanted about 2 serving sizes just incase I didn't like it

Pork sausage (it was a bust so I threw the rest out), sauté zucchini, watermelon

sausages and mixed greens with grapes, walnuts, & vinaigrette

Chicken with raw veggies, olives

chicken lettuce tacos & mexican cauliflower  rice, 1/2 nectarine

the salmon cakes are good, i agree with you both but these....  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes

they are something else!

Day 26 here and I am feeling good, awake, energetic and happy! I have just been to do some sprints at the gym before work for the first time in a while so that always wakes me up! could this be tiger blood...or maybe cat blood? i'd settle for that - i'm a total cat lady!

i'm feeling weirdly sad this is ending... i actually don't think i want to go back to eating "normally", 95% of the things i'm eating are delicious and i just don't want any of the stuff i would have eaten before. I'll be quite happy to eat out in a restaurant now and order veggies as a side to my protein rather than chips because i want to, not because i feel like i should be healthy. it's a really empowering feeling!

i was worried the sugar dragon was trying to make a reappearance the last 2 nights as I've been really craving something sweet after dinner, not like chocolate or anything, but specifically a banana and almond butter, so I've had that. Having a think about it though, and i'm putting it down it being that time of the month and i am SO hungry so it's probably just my body saying.. feed me more please! anyway, the last banana is being eaten as i type this so i'll stop munching on that after my dinner. this morning i bought my coworker some chocolate i thought she'd like and didn't think about buying myself any/eating it myself so the sugar dragon must be sleeping still!

How would you all feel about adding each other on facebook like Elizabeth suggested? it would definitely be good to keep in touch after this!

Have a great day!  :D

Sorry about your Dad. I am with you with the getting unhealthy. It started with my dad 2010 and continued through my Mom. It is so hard to lose parents. I am so glad you are here with us on this journey. I can not wait to try this. Can't do the onions so I am thinking what I can add instead. Sounds so good

Asparagus would be great in it, in place of the onions.  And I always use extra mushrooms because if you cook them ahead of time, they cook down and lose a lot of volume.  :)

Had a great NSV yesterday!  I had some meetings at a client's office, which meant I had to dress up for work...  I only own a few pairs of work pants for days when I'm with clients.  It's been over a month since my last client meeting, and the black pants I wore back then were skin tight...  I had to wear Spanx just to be able to squeeze into them and button them.  Yesterday, they were almost falling off me!  Several people at my client's office stopped me and commented that I looked great, but they couldn't put their finger on why.  :)  I'll leave 'em guessing for now!

So, is anyone planning any kind of treat/celebration for the end of their W30?  I've decided to book a massage for the following weekend...  something healthy and pleasurable that's not food.  :)  And maybe before that I'll go jeans shopping, to see if I'm ready for something in a smaller size!

Have an awesome day everyone!

Asparagus would be great in it, in place of the onions.  And I always use extra mushrooms because if you cook them ahead of time, they cook down and lose a lot of volume.   :)

Had a great NSV yesterday!  I had some meetings at a client's office, which meant I had to dress up for work...  I only own a few pairs of work pants for days when I'm with clients.  It's been over a month since my last client meeting, and the black pants I wore back then were skin tight...  I had to wear Spanx just to be able to squeeze into them and button them.  Yesterday, they were almost falling off me!  Several people at my client's office stopped me and commented that I looked great, but they couldn't put their finger on why.   :)  I'll leave 'em guessing for now!

So, is anyone planning any kind of treat/celebration for the end of their W30?  I've decided to book a massage for the following weekend...  something healthy and pleasurable that's not food.   :)  And maybe before that I'll go jeans shopping, to see if I'm ready for something in a smaller size!

Jen that's amazing - congratulations!

I'm booking a haircut, and I treated myself to some brand new gym leggings yesterday that i'd been eyeing up for while!

i'm tempted to treat myself to a pressure cooker, but the one i'm after is pretty pricey so i'm not sure if i can justify the costs just yet...

Day 26 here and I am feeling good, awake, energetic and happy! I have just been to do some sprints at the gym before work for the first time in a while so that always wakes me up! could this be tiger blood...or maybe cat blood? i'd settle for that - i'm a total cat lady!

i'm feeling weirdly sad this is ending... i actually don't think i want to go back to eating "normally", 95% of the things i'm eating are delicious and i just don't want any of the stuff i would have eaten before. I'll be quite happy to eat out in a restaurant now and order veggies as a side to my protein rather than chips because i want to, not because i feel like i should be healthy. it's a really empowering feeling!

i was worried the sugar dragon was trying to make a reappearance the last 2 nights as I've been really craving something sweet after dinner, not like chocolate or anything, but specifically a banana and almond butter, so I've had that. Having a think about it though, and i'm putting it down it being that time of the month and i am SO hungry so it's probably just my body saying.. feed me more please! anyway, the last banana is being eaten as i type this so i'll stop munching on that after my dinner. this morning i bought my coworker some chocolate i thought she'd like and didn't think about buying myself any/eating it myself so the sugar dragon must be sleeping still!

How would you all feel about adding each other on facebook like Elizabeth suggested? it would definitely be good to keep in touch after this!

Have a great day!  :D

So happy for you with these shifts that you have noticed and wanting to move forward with these great new habits and not do the old stuff. That is so awesome. Love bananas and almond butter. I will be very happy to be able to add some peanut butter back because that is my favorite with bananas. 

Asparagus would be great in it, in place of the onions.  And I always use extra mushrooms because if you cook them ahead of time, they cook down and lose a lot of volume.   :)

Had a great NSV yesterday!  I had some meetings at a client's office, which meant I had to dress up for work...  I only own a few pairs of work pants for days when I'm with clients.  It's been over a month since my last client meeting, and the black pants I wore back then were skin tight...  I had to wear Spanx just to be able to squeeze into them and button them.  Yesterday, they were almost falling off me!  Several people at my client's office stopped me and commented that I looked great, but they couldn't put their finger on why.   :)  I'll leave 'em guessing for now!

So, is anyone planning any kind of treat/celebration for the end of their W30?  I've decided to book a massage for the following weekend...  something healthy and pleasurable that's not food.   :)  And maybe before that I'll go jeans shopping, to see if I'm ready for something in a smaller size!

That is so great about the pants and how fun to keep them guessing.   ;) 

For my celebration instead of doing little weekly things I decided to do 2 larger things since I wanted these more. I got a 5 blade spiraler and Amazon had a refurbished kindle that I got myself. It was on sale. I am trying to also handle being able to sleep pass 5am so I got well needed black out curtains. I have been wanting these for over 12 years.

Today I seem to be doing better. I don't seem to be as agitated. I slept OK. Except for my back kept waking me up earlier this morning. For some reason it does not want me to go down to two pillows and try to lay down flatter. It's frustrating because it would be nice to not have to be sleeping elevated. I haven't been doing much exercise and stretching. Which may be part of the reason why my back is not doing very well. So I need to trying get that in. 

I need to start getting more exercise in. I am going to try and do that the rest of this week. I just seem to spend all of my free time cooking because I can't seem to get in a prep day. I am hoping next week that changes.

My cravings seem to be back in full force. I'm wondering if that's part of my irritation or am I having some hormone problems because I'm losing weight and my hormones are becoming more in sync. And I possibly may starting to get my period? Actually does feel like it emotionally. I haven't had that in 2 years. I am very irritable, very quick to anger, and no patience at all this week. I have an appointment with my chiropractor tomorrow and I hope we can kind of fix it. It's very difficult constantly having to do attitude adjustments because I get so quick to anger and so quick to just a negative attitude. Plus it makes me want to cheat and go get the shit. Ah well this too will pass

Have a great day all!!

How do you do the multi responses in one post? I saw someone else who did it and forgot to ask

Hey, you click on the MultiQuote button before quoting anyone, and then just click on the posts that you wish to comment back to and it will add them to the comment box for you :)

I agree with you about the peanut butter and bananas - that is an excellent combination!

• Administrators

Had a great NSV yesterday!  I had some meetings at a client's office, which meant I had to dress up for work...  I only own a few pairs of work pants for days when I'm with clients.  It's been over a month since my last client meeting, and the black pants I wore back then were skin tight...  I had to wear Spanx just to be able to squeeze into them and button them.  Yesterday, they were almost falling off me!  

AMAZING!  Pants-victories are my hands down favourite! I'm so excited for you!

I wear yoga pants, t-shirts and slippers to work every day (small office, very casual) and I am horrified to think I might have to put on work pants, I should try mine on too, maybe they fit better!

I am on day 24- last week I was feeling just terrible.... bloated... tired.... and like I was gaining weight.  I took a closer look at what I have been eating and I think not measuring my nuts has been bad for me.  I have a family lake house that we all gather at on the weekends and everyone is always drinking, eating chips or some kind of sweet.  In order for me to not cave while I'm doing my whole30, I binged on nuts and fruit.  And I know you can eat whatever you want, but I know I have been eating so much more than what I have been used to.  I was eating really clean before the whole30- but also still had treats or "healthy" protein balls.  I felt alot more satisfied before eating quinoa or having feta with my eggs.  Now I feel like the food is wonderful- but not as satisfying and I feel like I need to eat so much more.  Honestly, I feel like when I am done the whole30 I will lose some weight! I know its not about weight, but lets be real, anything that is concentrated on food this much- there will be hopes for weight loss, especially when we cut out the culprit for so many people- sugar.  One more thing, I used to chew gum when I had a craving, and now I have been having fruit or my pre planned amount of nuts.  I can't want to go back to having my gum!!

I will post my last couple of days of meals and see if anyone can make some tweaks since I still feel like I am going to gain weight on this... Note- I usually run about 8K everyday at lunch time and also go to the gym for an hour or so for weight training everyday. 

Monday

Breakfast- 2 eggs, with left over brisket, apple and almond butter

Lunch- Salad- Chicken cooked in coconut oil with an apple and onion, spinach, avocado, blueberries

Dinner- Brussel sprouts, zoodles (2 zuchinnis), 4 shrimp, mixed fruit for a side

Tuesday

Breakfast- two eggs, 1/4 cup mix between red and sweet potato, 3 diced shrimp, 1 cup ish of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries

Snack-  handful of almonds

Lunch- spinach salad with chicken and 1/4 avocado, added cashews, side orange

Dinner- wild salmon with a side of brussel sprouts, 1 cup of mixed fruit

Wednesday

Breakfast- two eggs, 1/4 cup mix between red and sweet potato, 3 diced shrimp, 1 cup ish of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries

Lunch- spinach salad with chicken and 1/4 avocado, added cashews, side of green grapes

Dinner- cauliflower rice lettuce wraps (half portion) and one cup ish of ground turkey breast and half and avodado

Pre workout (leg day)- apple and 1 tbsp of almond butter

Thursday (today) - if I go as planned and prepped

Breakfast- two eggs, 1/4 cup mix between red and sweet potato, 3 diced shrimp

Pre run- banana

Lunch- spinach salad with chicken and 1/4 avocado, added cashew, 1 cup ish of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries

Dinner- cauliflower rice lettuce wraps (leftovers- half portion) and one cup ish of ground turkey breast and half and avodado

Snack- handful walnuts and maybe an apple

• Moderators

I am on day 24- last week I was feeling just terrible.... bloated... tired.... and like I was gaining weight.  I took a closer look at what I have been eating and I think not measuring my nuts has been bad for me.  I have a family lake house that we all gather at on the weekends and everyone is always drinking, eating chips or some kind of sweet.  In order for me to not cave while I'm doing my whole30, I binged on nuts and fruit.  And I know you can eat whatever you want, but I know I have been eating so much more than what I have been used to.  I was eating really clean before the whole30- but also still had treats or "healthy" protein balls.  I felt alot more satisfied before eating quinoa or having feta with my eggs.  Now I feel like the food is wonderful- but not as satisfying and I feel like I need to eat so much more.  Honestly, I feel like when I am done the whole30 I will lose some weight! I know its not about weight, but lets be real, anything that is concentrated on food this much- there will be hopes for weight loss, especially when we cut out the culprit for so many people- sugar.  One more thing, I used to chew gum when I had a craving, and now I have been having fruit or my pre planned amount of nuts.  I can't want to go back to having my gum!!

I will post my last couple of days of meals and see if anyone can make some tweaks since I still feel like I am going to gain weight on this... Note- I usually run about 8K everyday at lunch time and also go to the gym for an hour or so for weight training everyday. 

Monday

Lunch- Salad- Chicken cooked in coconut oil with an apple and onion, spinach, avocado, blueberries

Dinner- Brussel sprouts, zoodles (2 zuchinnis), 4 shrimp, mixed fruit for a side

Tuesday

Wednesday

Lunch- spinach salad with chicken and 1/4 avocado, added cashews, side of green grapes

Dinner- cauliflower rice lettuce wraps (half portion) and one cup ish of ground turkey breast and half and avodado

Pre run- banana

Lunch- spinach salad with chicken and 1/4 avocado, added cashew, 1 cup ish of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries

Dinner- cauliflower rice lettuce wraps (leftovers- half portion) and one cup ish of ground turkey breast and half and avodado

Your meals look on the small side to me. Aim to have 1-3 cups of vegetables at every single meal, even breakfast. Remember the meal template -- picture a typical 9 or 10 inch dinner plate, put 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein on it, 1-2 thumb-sized servings of fat (or a heaping handful of olives or coconut flakes, or a half to a whole avocado, etc., as outlined on the meal template), and then fill the plate with vegetables. Not, put a few vegetables on the plate, but fill the plate with them.

You want to eat enough at meals that you easily go 4-5 hours between meals without being hungry, and yes, that means more food than people may expect, but it's all good, healthy, nutrient-dense food that your body will use, so don't worry about it.

If you are hungry between meals as you figure out serving sizes, or because you have to go more than 4-5 hours between meals, have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

Nuts and nut butters often leave people feeling bloated and cause other digestive issues, so limit them to a small closed handful, maybe every other day.

Pre- and post-workouts shouldn't include fruit. Pre-WO have protein and fat -- a hard boiled egg, some chicken and mayo, something like that.  Post-WO have lean protein and starchy vegetable -- some chicken breast or water-packed tuna with some sweet potato, for example.

• Administrators

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Pre run- banana

Agree with everything that Shannon said.  I would also like to point out that you are eating a great deal of fruit which could be contributing to the issues you are reporting. Fruit, especially if had early in the day or on its own, can contribute to increased hunger and later day cravings.  Fruit is recommended to be 1-2 servings, fist sized, per day.  And it's optional, you do not have to eat fruit.

Also note, 3-4 shrimp is a negligible amount of of protein unless those suckers were huge!

If you accidentally cook them even a few minutes too long, I find they are like eating drywall... I take them out of the oven before they're done so they can finish up on the pan... 

LOL @ the previous poster calling them sad fish scones! Dead!

I must overcooked them. I also swapped coconut flour for almond (nut allergy). I'd probably skip the flour altogether and add an extra egg to hold them together. We ended up covering them in red pepper mayo (which is amazing) as a way to make them palatable. 

I must overcooked them. I also swapped coconut flour for almond (nut allergy). I'd probably skip the flour altogether and add an extra egg to hold them together. We ended up covering them in red pepper mayo (which is amazing) as a way to make them palatable.

I tried the oven baked salmon cakes from well fed with 1/3 cup coconut flour and they were extremely dry. They are delicious with the 1/4 cup of almond flour though. Maybe use coconut flour and add an extra egg? I also tried to make these super simple turkey burgers with coconut flour instead of the oat flour in the recipe and those were terrible too. I've never used coconut flour before so I don't really know the best way to use it. I bought a huge container of it because it's cheaper than almond flour and now I don't know what to do with it!

I tried the oven baked salmon cakes from well fed with 1/3 cup coconut flour and they were extremely dry. They are delicious with the 1/4 cup of almond flour though. Maybe use coconut flour and add an extra egg? I also tried to make these super simple turkey burgers with coconut flour instead of the oat flour in the recipe and those were terrible too. I've never used coconut flour before so I don't really know the best way to use it. I bought a huge container of it because it's cheaper than almond flour and now I don't know what to do with it!

Cat litter? :P  

I hate wasting food, but it doesn't seem to be a very good ingredient. The rest of the coconut is delicious though, I'm all about coconut cream in my coffee. 

Day 25 update:

Week 4 has been going REALLY well! I have a good rhythm going with food - since week 2 we've been eating the same breakfasts and lunches during the week: fiesta casserole and protein salad, with added fruits and hard boiled eggs for snacks. I'm not easily bored by eating the same food if it's delicious. Dinner we mix up a bit but always cook enough to make 2 meals, which makes weeknights much more doable. I cringe at how much we run the dishwasher (living in drought land), but other than that it's been pretty good. 

I'm starting to think about reintroductions, but not very seriously yet. I know my husband is just going to go straight back to his old food. My theory at this point is that he doesn't really have any food sensitivities because he says he feels exactly the same as before we started (except for the weight loss) so I'm not going to push the matter. I'm going to try to work things back in as slowly as possible, but honestly I feel like I'll end up speeding through it (I know, I know). Since our last day is a Tuesday, we're going to buy food for the week like we're still on the Whole 30 but start to eat other stuff as situations arise. I have dinner plans with some friends on Day 31 and I'm going to suggest Asian food so I can try rice and soy again. I'm really interested to see how my body reacts. 

Thanks for the tips! I must admit, I for sure was "curbing" my cravings for the first two weeks with nuts and even more fruit!! Now that its the last week I have cut those portions down quite a bit and have been incorporating even more spinach into my salads, cooking my chick with fat and vegetables and relying less on the nuts and fruits.  I do feel alot fuller now and the want to snack is getting less and less.  I feel that I am one of the people who needs more than 30 days.  I was already eating really clean before this so this isn't a huge shock to my body. However, I was eating 5-6 small meals a day.  Figuring out 3 large and dense meals has been tricky but I am getting the hang of it- slowly.  I can feel the nuts and fruits are dragging me down- this morning I didn't have any fruit and I felt fuller longer and had a better run than yesterday- when I had a side of fruit. 

Cravings still haven't gone away..... I know day 31 I for sure will treat myself to something I couldn't have like feta with my eggs and protein balls.... but overall, I will continue doing "whole30" and cooking from the book.  I am not much of a veggie person, but I have been shocked how amazing the things I tried have been! I can't even remember the last time I bought cauliflower and now I know instead of batch cooking quinoa, I will make the cauliflower rice- I can't wait to have that for dinner tonight actually!. 

Slow but steady for me! Its not just about going hard core and micro managing all my meal for these 30 days.  But rather a learning experience and a new appreciation of food for LIFE!  It disappoints me so much when I go on youtube and watch peoples experiences- then check out other videos on their page and they have gained all the weight back..... That's not for me.  This is for life.

• Administrators

Coconut flour is absolutely not a 1:1 substitute for almond flour. A recipe has to be specifically created for coconut flour in most cases.  I would have probably used a bit more sweet potato and maybe a tbsp of coconut flour.  It's highly moisture absorbent!  I use it if I find my ground meats are too soft/wet to form patties. Put about a tbsp per 2# meat, mix it in and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Stiffens the burgers right up without being dry.

I go through maybe 1/4 cup coconut flour a month.

My personal trick for the best burgers (pork, beef or turkey) ever is to mix all your seasonings with the egg and about a cup of mashed sweet potato (orange or white) and then mix all that into the meat. Makes the meat go further, gets you extra veggies and keeps the burgers moist and prevents them from turning into baseballs.

• Moderators

Oh gosh, coconut flour is really not an awesome substitute. It's defatted which means it's EXTREMELY DRY and whatever moisture you have in your recipe gets soaked up and quick... I can't IMAGINE how dry they were with coconut flour.  I think you can easily do it without any flour sub at all... just put an egg in, maybe some tapioca or arrowroot... I find that if I put enough other 'junk' in (green onions, ground up anchovies, a whole chopped head of parsley etc..) it's solid enough without the 'flour' to hold together... just cook them mostly through before flipping and you should be fine.

Oh gosh, coconut flour is really not an awesome substitute. It's defatted which means it's EXTREMELY DRY and whatever moisture you have in your recipe gets soaked up and quick... I can't IMAGINE how dry they were with coconut flour. I think you can easily do it without any flour sub at all... just put an egg in, maybe some tapioca or arrowroot... I find that if I put enough other 'junk' in (green onions, ground up anchovies, a whole chopped head of parsley etc..) it's solid enough without the 'flour' to hold together... just cook them mostly through before flipping and you should be fine.

The only reason I tried it in the salmon cakes was because I read the comments below the recipe on her site and she said you could make them with coconut flour. I had to use so much mayo and kickass ketchup ( on the turkey) just so I could chew them. Unfortunately I can't afford to just throw food out so I just tried to make them somewhat edible. I definitely won't be doing that ever again!

• Moderators

The only reason I tried it in the salmon cakes was because I read the comments below the recipe on her site and she said you could make them with coconut flour. I had to use so much mayo and kickass ketchup ( on the turkey) just so I could chew them. Unfortunately I can't afford to just throw food out so I just tried to make them somewhat edible. I definitely won't be doing that ever again!

Oh, I've eaten my drywall cakes before too... I don't throw out food so they were pressed into service as condiment carriers... so I'm with you there... 

Archived