Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

Day 26 - 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

We're almost there! I'm so inspired by all of you - your strength, your wins, your excitement to keep it going even after the 30 days. Thank you for sharing! I'm hoping to stay in touch with all of you... please feel free to find me on Facebook (facebook.com/diana.m.wilkinson) or Instagram (Staggolee41).

My period was a bit late (sorry if TMI) on the plan, which is odd, because it's usually very early. I was also extra moody this week, which I typically am not emotionally affected by PMS, though I had fewer physical symptoms, so... weird and interesting. Finally started yesterday. I'm curious to see how the next one is.

I've been thinking a lot about how this has changed my life, so I wanted to list some changes that I intend to make permanent. I'd love to hear yours as well!

• Eating with intention (reading labels, consciously balancing my meals)
  • Eating breakfast
  • Eating LOTS of vegetables
  • Not only being okay with swapping a non-nutrient-rich side for a veggie, but preferring it (always felt like I was missing out before)
  • Prepping and planning meals ahead of time
  • Using my slow cooker
  • Eating very little/no sugar
  • Drinking more water

Just some thoughts. Anyway... to keep on track with meal planning, I'm thinking about either painting one wall in my eat-in kitchen with chalkboard paint and writing the meal plan for the week up there, or getting a sheet of stick-on chalkboard material. This'll help me stay on plan and make sure that it becomes a habit. I'm also trying to pick a recipe of something that I can mass-produce and put in my freezer for "uh-oh" moments when I got behind or forgot to do something, so suggestions are very welcome!

Congratulations to all of you on your wins and making it this far! We only have a few more days! Let's have an amazing Friday and weekend!  :wub:

Thats Awesome. Love your ideas

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... this is a new one... I'm SUPER hungry, despite a good breakfast and lunch (with extra olives!), and I just can't wait to get home to eat the brisket that's in my slow cooker (with the butternut squash I have in the fridge to add to it). I don't want the almonds in my desk. I don't want the candy from the machine. I'm just itching to drive home ASAP.

Well... this is a new one... I'm SUPER hungry, despite a good breakfast and lunch (with extra olives!), and I just can't wait to get home to eat the brisket that's in my slow cooker (with the butternut squash I have in the fridge to add to it). I don't want the almonds in my desk. I don't want the candy from the machine. I'm just itching to drive home ASAP.

I was really hungry yesterday and today too. I haven't been eating any less so I'm not sure what's going on

Hi! I'm Hannah! I start on the 18th!!! I'm only 20... but I have been completely raised on terrible food choices. My sister and I were raised by a single father because my mother passed away when I was a kid. So, starting from when I was 8 years old, I ate out. Every. Single. Day. Stopped doing sports in school, and my entire family is obese. I have definitely carried these poor eating habits through my teenage years and now into my adult life.

Although I am not obese (a tad bit overweight yes), and do not have any major health concerns being so young, I have battled eczema, keratosis pilaris, acne, lactose intolerance, and IBS for as long as I can remember. I am ALWAYS exhausted, am extremely out of shape, and just never feel 100 percent well. My immune system is very weak and I constantly am dealing with some kind of cold/sickness.

By doing the Whole30, I hope to discover and fix why I feel so bad all the time, see skin improvements, and learn how to cook food. I am so desperate for a solution to never feeling up to par. I want to defeat these habits while I am still so young so my adult life can be enjoyed and not develop health problems later. All this being said, these posts are super helpful and motivating for me... like I said. I don't really have a lot of cooking experience and of course not the biggest budget to spend on food. So any recipes or support in these threads help me so much. Thank you for sharing. And good luck!!!

Day 28...2 words........ TIGER BLOOD!

I am so energetic today!

it's 9pm here and i've just been stripping wallpaper cos i couldn't sit still! that was meant to be tomorrow's job but all done now :D

Still having some digestive issues, but the sugar dragons gone back in hole so i can deal with that!!

Kate, that's awesome!  I was the opposite today -- day 29 and I was so exhausted, I needed a 2-hour nap this afternoon.  I'm thinking there was some soy hidden in the salad the hubs and I ate at a restaurant for lunch...  it was just veggies with lemon juice squeezed over it, BUT we got shrimp on top and it's *possible* they were cooked in soybean oil without us knowing.  Either that, or I'm dehydrated...  sooooo sleepy all day!  Ack!

Hannah - welcome to the thread!  We're all peeling off in the next few days, but glad we can help get you started in the meantime!  :)

Kate, that's awesome!  I was the opposite today -- day 29 and I was so exhausted, I needed a 2-hour nap this afternoon.  I'm thinking there was some soy hidden in the salad the hubs and I ate at a restaurant for lunch...  it was just veggies with lemon juice squeezed over it, BUT we got shrimp on top and it's *possible* they were cooked in soybean oil without us knowing.  Either that, or I'm dehydrated...  sooooo sleepy all day!  Ack!

Hannah - welcome to the thread!  We're all peeling off in the next few days, but glad we can help get you started in the meantime!   :)

How are you feeling today?? Any better? it's such a risk eating out, you just never know what might be in the food! I'm looking forward to it being easier to eat out!

Hannah - if you need any good recipe ideas, please let me know - i've come across so many good ones that haven't disappointed!

Hey everyone, 

hope you all had a good weekend! I well and truly got the tiger blood on saturday and sunday and redecorated my living room by myself in one day!

It's day 30 and I can't believe it's gone so quickly - I definitely think this is something I would do again and I'm going to have a think today about my successes, things I could have done better and what I would do differently.

How is everyone feeling? What day are you all up to?

I made a Paleo seafood paella last night with cauliflower instead of rice and it was actually really good, I was pleasantly surprised!

Recipe here: http://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-recipe/paleo-paella/

i used salmon, haddock, a few prawns and chorizo instead of chicken and i added some tomato puree and extra olive oil - so good! 

Morning, everyone!  Happy Day 30 for those of us who started on 7/19…  and happy home stretch for those who are a day or two next!  Feeling better today, thank goodness…  drank a ton of water yesterday and it seems to have perked me up a bit.  Going to be super vigilant today for my last official day, even though the hubs and I are continuing on from here!

Tomorrow I'm going to post a recap on my blog (thesolofoodie.com), including pix/weight/measurements, in case anyone is interested in all the gory details.  I'm beyond happy that I took the plunge and did this, and getting to know all of you and share in our ups and downs has been an enormous help!  xoxo

Day 29: So close! So proud of everyone!

I'm so excited to be so close to 30 days and still know I can coast right through it with the habits I've built up. I think I really felt tiger blood one day, when I just hated sitting down at home, but other than that, it's been a mess with being sick, having my period, being insanely sunburn, etc. It does seem like my body is better able to handle those things - very few physical symptoms before/during my period, better recovery time on illness and sunburn - but I wish at least the illness hadn't messed with me during the 30 days. I was definitely better-equipped to take care of myself, though, and am a big believer in the power of broth now.

Most Sundays during the plan have involved a really elaborate process of choosing meals, looking at the ingredients, making a store list, organizing that list into categories, shopping, organizing at home, prepping, etc. Yesterday, my time was cut very short due to a car show running much longer than expected (I thought we'd be done by 1 PM; we left around 5 PM; this is the source of the sunburn, and yes, I feel very dumb). Yesterday, I wrote a meal plan and associated store list on the fly while eating a compliant dinner out in less than 15 minutes, then burned through my shopping as quickly as possible and went home to attack what needed to get done. I'm excited about this because it shows I'm definitely in a routine, I've learned so much about planning ahead with my food, and I can make things work on the fly without compromising on good choices or relying completely on the compliant restaurants I've identified. When I ran out of time last night to do everything I needed to do, I woke up earlier than I had to this morning to make my frittata and made it to work on time. I - the abuser of snooze buttons about a dozen times over every morning - only snoozed once and got up and immediately started chopping tomatoes. Less sleep than normal and didn't feel groggy. Looking back on this morning right now, I'm thinking, who is this person?!

Hate to drag on - I know I tend to do that - so I'll let you guys go for now. Thanks to all of you for reading my seriously long posts, for being supportive, and for letting this be my outlet (I don't talk about most of the stuff I post here anywhere else). :wub:  Here are some details on reintroductions:

Day 31: Dairy (bought feta for my M1 frittata and M2 salad, planning on adding sour cream and white cheddar cheese to a compliant meal I've been eating a lot)

Day 32: W30 compliant

Day 33: W30 compliant

Day 34: Soy (boyfriend has been jonesing for Chinese food; figured this is an easy thing for me to go out and do some meat and a LOT of veggies while he can eat whatever he wants)

Day 35: W30 compliant

Day 36: W30 compliant

Day 37: Grains, maybe

Happy Monday, everyone! We're almost there! Keep kickin' butt!

Morning, everyone!  Happy Day 30 for those of us who started on 7/19…  and happy home stretch for those who are a day or two next!  Feeling better today, thank goodness…  drank a ton of water yesterday and it seems to have perked me up a bit.  Going to be super vigilant today for my last official day, even though the hubs and I are continuing on from here!

Tomorrow I'm going to post a recap on my blog (thesolofoodie.com), including pix/weight/measurements, in case anyone is interested in all the gory details.  I'm beyond happy that I took the plunge and did this, and getting to know all of you and share in our ups and downs has been an enormous help!  xoxo

Glad to hear you're feeling better today! Happy Day 30! I know you are continuing on - are you planning on reintroducing anything?

I made it through the weekend! I cannot believe I did it to be honest.  Friday night I called my friend, who is doing the whole30 with me, from my kitchen starting into my pantry at the dark chocolate sea salted almonds..... But I just closed the cupboard, showered and went to bed.  Also had a big family dinner at our lake house last night- which included salad, corn, garlic bread, and coconut battered shrimp- luckily we had steak and potatoes, so I was able to be compliant.  Honestly, I thought hey, I'm going to cave because we don't have dinner all together at the lake that often- but I stuck to it and didn't even feel like I missed out at all! Its the sweets that are killing me... I have already been sneaking these treats back into my pantry so I am all set for day 31!

Side note- I also stared July 19th and thought day 30 was actually tomorrow? Have I counted incorrectly?!!?! Meaning I can have all of the chocolate tomorrow?!!

I also felt an increase in energy Saturday and Sunday- however, I am unsure if it was tiger blood or if I just finished all of the things I needed to do.... I've never been one to just sit on the couch and do nothing.... so its hard to tell if I have tiger blood or not....

I made it through the weekend! I cannot believe I did it to be honest.  Friday night I called my friend, who is doing the whole30 with me, from my kitchen starting into my pantry at the dark chocolate sea salted almonds..... But I just closed the cupboard, showered and went to bed.  Also had a big family dinner at our lake house last night- which included salad, corn, garlic bread, and coconut battered shrimp- luckily we had steak and potatoes, so I was able to be compliant.  Honestly, I thought hey, I'm going to cave because we don't have dinner all together at the lake that often- but I stuck to it and didn't even feel like I missed out at all! Its the sweets that are killing me... I have already been sneaking these treats back into my pantry so I am all set for day 31!

Side note- I also stared July 19th and thought day 30 was actually tomorrow? Have I counted incorrectly?!!?! Meaning I can have all of the chocolate tomorrow?!!

I also felt an increase in energy Saturday and Sunday- however, I am unsure if it was tiger blood or if I just finished all of the things I needed to do.... I've never been one to just sit on the couch and do nothing.... so its hard to tell if I have tiger blood or not....

Congratulations on your self-control!  Those are some major challenges, especially having chocolate right there in your house!  Whoa!  Day 30 is today, so tomorrow you can ease into the chocolate and see how you feel.  :)

Glad to hear you're feeling better today! Happy Day 30! I know you are continuing on - are you planning on reintroducing anything?

Not through the formal reintroduction process.  I pretty much knew before starting W30 that everything I'd be cutting out is stuff that makes me feel awful -- dairy and legumes = stomach issues, grains = chronic cough, sugar = hypoglycemia swings, booze = rosacea flare-ups, yadda yadda.  I feel so great, I have no need to test the waters because I already know what the result will be!  BUT, in the coming couple of weeks I may have a small glass of red wine when I'm out at dinner, knowing that I may not feel that great afterwards...  and will go right back to being on-program.  I feel like this way of eating is my new normal now.  But I look forward to following everyone's re-intros, and see what's working for you!

Hi!

Day 29 for me.

My reintroduction "plan" for the week was to meal-plan like I'm still on W30 but I've got a few upcoming events that will naturally introduce some of the foods I've cut out:

- Dinner out with friends on Day 31 (Korean food  - soy and rice)

- Day 32/33 - Staying over SF after a late concert, I'll probably eat breakfast out and have lunch at work. Work is really good about listing all the ingredients and we have an epic salad bar. 

- Day 34 - I'm just confessing here ahead of time: my husband and I made a reservation at a posh restaurant to celebrate the end of our Whole 30 adventure.  We are probably going to go all-out. At least I'll have Sunday to recover?

Good luck with your last days everyone - I'll report back how going off book works for me  :P

Julia

Not through the formal reintroduction process.  I pretty much knew before starting W30 that everything I'd be cutting out is stuff that makes me feel awful -- dairy and legumes = stomach issues, grains = chronic cough, sugar = hypoglycemia swings, booze = rosacea flare-ups, yadda yadda.  I feel so great, I have no need to test the waters because I already know what the result will be!  BUT, in the coming couple of weeks I may have a small glass of red wine when I'm out at dinner, knowing that I may not feel that great afterwards...  and will go right back to being on-program.  I feel like this way of eating is my new normal now.  But I look forward to following everyone's re-intros, and see what's working for you!

I'm so glad for you that this has worked so well. It sounds like you really know your body well (grains = cough, whodathunkit?), so I'm looking forward to getting some of that understanding myself through reintroductions. I can't wait to read your Whole30 summary!

Hope everyone is doing well. Congrats on those that are finishing. I have gathered a list of helpful tips that I gathered from the daily's, the moderators, and us. I have not given credit to who said what so I hope that is alright with everyone. This is a cheat sheet for me on the next one that I am going to do. I am also going to continue to post here so for those of you who are doing re-introductions if you want to continue to post here I think that would be fun to hear all your successes. I am going to continue to be as clean as I can through my vacation and then start a new one when I get back.

Please feel free to copy this add to it. It is for all of us to use:

Getting Started links

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

http://whole30.com/new/

http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

http://whole9life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Whole9's-Guide-to-Nutritional-Off-Roading.pdf

http://whole30.com/downloads/official-whole30-program-rules.pdf

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-dining.pdf

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-travel.pdf

Prepping for & doing Whole 30

1.     It is better to prepare and prevent, then repair and repent

2.     Prep, prep, and then prep some more. And then prep. Oh did I say prep?

3.     Make weekly/monthly menus

4.     Clean out items you can't have &/or create safe zones for you in the refrigerator &/or shelve in the cabinet.

5.     Ideas to keep track of meals for the week. Chalk board, Print out and laminate calendar  & grocery lists, meal board, real plans, Pinterest,

6.     On the refrigerator keep

7.     Weekly/monthly menus

8.     Shopping lists

9.     List on fridge of prepped foods and what’s in there so you know

a.     List of easy to make foods in a pinch

b.     List of prepared foods so you don't forget (I.e. Like the Brussels sprouts that have been I the fridge for a week )

c.      Keep list of what is in your freezer: frozen veggies for emergency food, prepared/portioned meats 

10. Make more of foods you can freeze like soup, meats, some casseroles, then I make 4-6 servings.

11. Emergency foods: cook up any meat or ground meat. Portion it out into servings and freeze what you are to use later. When you take it out and cook it you can add any other spice that you want to and change things up.

12. Make frozen meals (TV dinners). In a container take a protein and veggies

a.     Note do not make fresh veggies and freeze them. They turn to mush unless they are in a soup or casserole.

b.     Use the frozen veggies it you are making frozen meals. Potion them out in serving sizes and freeze. Label and date them.

13. If sauce, coconut milk, broth freeze in ice tray or muffin tin. Put in container, plastic bag, or vacuum seal and put in freezer.

14. Always label and date things that you freeze.

15. Make up two or more glass/plastic containers of dressing to have on hand.

16. First time doing a recipe allow extra time. It usually takes longer than listed.

17. Majority of compliant foods are on the periphery of the grocery store. Only go down the isles where you know you need this. Very helpful the when you are really craving and you are going shopping. Don’t dare take a short cut through the candy isle they will leap out and tackle you.

Creating new habits

1.     Write down your old bad habits with food

2.     Write you new things you can do or policies about food

3.     Take the word treat out of your vocabulary as regards to food. There are no food treats or desserts. A treat is something special that you do for yourself that is nonfood related.

Sugar Dragon Dangers – Binging foods swaps/Sweet food cravings

1.     Really look at when you are eating and what.

2.     Sugar cravings?

a.     Are you truly hungry?

b.     You want and RX bar, banana & almond butter, sweet potato or potato (you get the picture) is it a craving? Or are you hungry

c.      Are you doing it as a treat? Is this an emotional eating??

d.     Really look ant it and decide to eat it or grab something with better fat, protein, & non starchy veggie

e.     To have something sugary when you are craving it can keep the sugar cravings going.

f.      When you are craving something sweet instead have some fat like olives or avocados.

3.     If you think you is hungry check. Are you ready to eat fish and broccoli, kale or collard greens? If yes then eat. If no then it is a craving and drink some water.

4.     Make a list of all foods that you tend to use as a substitute for paleoizing problem foods.

a.     These are items that you use as treats, dealing with emotion, or stress, or boredom.

b.     If out-of-control take out of your diet. Otherwise use in extreme moderation

c.      Binging foods: nuts, dried fruits, fruits, & olives. Need to watch how I am eating them and when.

d.     Dried fruit in extreme moderation especially if you are a sugar addict like me. Also need to be carful with the bars. I can use them like I used my junk food if

Fats

1.     Keep in a cool dry dark place to help keep from spoiling.

2.     http://www.eatbydate.com/other/condiments/how-long-does-oil-last/

3.     Nuts only a hand full every other day. Poor fat source and can be harsh on the digestive system.

Problems with the program including being bloated, not losing weight, not sleeping well, etc

1.     Post on your thread for the moderators

2.     Post something in the troubleshooting section.  http://forum.whole30.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/

3.     PM one of the moderators that has been on your feed

Workouts slow & difficult

1.     Make sure you are having the pre-workout food which is protein and fat and then after workout food which is a lean protein and carbs.

2.     Pre & post should only be a few bites not replace a meal.

Travel/Food parties/games/away from fridges:

1.     Check and make sure that your hotel has a refrigerator. If it does not ask them to provide one for medical reasons.

2.     Make sure you stock the refrigerator with food you can eat for emergencies.

3.     Ice chest

4.     Eggs are great and if they get frozen they are still edible later.

5.     Veggies will take it without being in the fridge so your good there.

6.     Meat jerkies are great too just make sure they are compliant

7.     Bring frozen meat so it will be ready to eat when it defrosts

8.     Web links for ideas:

a.     http://www.lifehealthhq.com/whole30-approved-snacks/

b.     http://iowagirleats.com/2015/07/27/california-turkey-and-bacon-lettuce-wraps-with-basil-mayo/

c.      http://whole30.com/2016/05/whole30-recipes-lunches/

d.     http://nomnompaleo.com/post/30457067976/a-week-of-paleo-school-lunches-part-4-of-5http://whole30.com/2013/07/a-whole30-fourth-of-july-2/

e.     http://forum.whole30.com/topic/10805-picnic-ideas/

Staying compliant while at a gathering:

1.     Bring some compliant choices to share if pot luck

2.     Eat before you go to help you not be overly hungry

3.     Have a nice snack ready for you when you come home

4.     Get seltzer water with lemon/line & olive so you have drink in your hand

Restaurants

1.     Get menu ahead of time so you can see what you can eat.

2.     When asking for ingredients if they don’t say a non compliant ingredients make sure that is doesn’t have i.e. sugar, etc. Specifically ask “no sugar, blah blah, etc.

3.     Bring your own dressing, coconut aminos, and sauces with you in a no leak container. Then you can add yumminess that you know is compliant

Things to help you stay compliant

1.     Set up goals

2.     Make a list of what your upcoming potential problems are i.e. Lunch meeting, birthdate, etc. The do and if this happens then I will do this. This will help you have an arsenal of ideas of what to do help you stay compliant

3.     Make a list of what you can do to distract you from bad cravings

4.     List of support team you can call on for help

5.     Make a list of the things you do when you are eating badly and decide to either change what you are doing to be compliant or stop it entirely. Make policy’s to help for example

a.     When eating a meal. Sit at a table with no distractions such as TV or ready

b.     No watching cooking shows that show cooking items that cause you to want to eat non compliant foods

6.     Celebrate your wins/NSV by doing something for your self

7.     Ask a loved one or good friend to plan some surprises for you. They don't have to be big things - a postcard, a note in your lunch bag, a new coffee mug - but having encouragement and support is huge, and these will serve as little reminders that what you're doing is worth it.

8.     Make a display in your kitchen out of your spices and vegetables that are supposed to be stored outside the refrigerator. Doing this has caused me to use more of them in each meal, which has resulted in more flavors.

Sleep

1.     Sleeping issues use calm, cal/mag, melatonin, or tryptophan.

2.     Also chamomile or sleepy time teas can help.

3.     Try to keep you house dimly light as time approaches for bed.

4.     Note: with calm & cal/mag start with low doses and work your way up. Cut back amount when you get louse bowels.

5.     Also take 30 min or more before you go to bed to unwind where you are not doing things around the house you are sitting quietly either watching something soothing, reading a book, listening to soothing music, something that calms you to get you ready for bed.

6.     Make sure you are getting enough sleep. If not it can lead to worse cravings and make it easier to cheat. I don’t know about you but I get down right crabie and cravings are like a very loud neighbor that does nothing but shout in your ear.

Headache, brain fog and tiredness

1.     Are all signs you are not eating enough and while your meals sound tasty, if the quantities are not matching the template, then it's not sufficient.

2.     Make sure your drinking water; see if low on salt or potassium back taking it

3.     Overly tired

a.     Check your water intake and salt. You may need to add more salt you your diet since you are not getting any from the overly processed foods.

b.     Make sure you were eating enough. Make sure you're having enough salt. This is very important because you're not eating as many processed foods and your salt intake has decreased naturally.

Meals

Getting 1-2 palms (your own palm's thickness x width x length) of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (non starchy) and added fat in the template recommendations. Added fat is over and above your cooking fat. If you want starchy veg like sweet potato, that's totally fine, the recommendation is a fist sized serving daily.

Ladies only shark week

1.     Leading up to your period and maybe the first few days of it, you will more than likely be hungrier than normal, and may be craving lots of carbs. This is normal; it's your body's way of gearing up for possible pregnancy. Eat more in general (one of the other mods reports eating basically twice as much food each day during this time, like six meals), and eat more starchy vegetables if you want to. Your appetite will go back to normal soon.

2.     There's been lots of discussion on this in the forums in the past, check out the Ladies Only section for more if you're interested.

I also loved all the recipes that everyone did. So incase you missed it here they are. If I have left something out please add to it. There also may be some duplications.

Recipes

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3251876576/super-easy-tandoori-chicken

http://fedandfit.com/2014/01/28/the-breakfast-salad-2/ - make with compliant sausage

http://true-hw.com/blog/2016/02/11/whole-30-shepherds-pie

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/105333542218/magic-mushroom-powder-diy-holiday-gift

http://greatist.com/eat/whole30-dinner-recipes

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/01/31/plantain-nachos/

http://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-blog/rice-free-sushi/

http://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/

http://www.lifeinthegreenhouse.com/2016/02/whole-30-fiesta-breakfast-casserole.html

http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/whole-30-recipes-zoodles/

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3762844557/slow-cooker-korean-grass-fed-short-ribs

http://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/whole30-potato-salad-recipe/

http://whole30.com/2013/07/whole30-meal-plans/

http://whole30.com/category/recipes/

http://www.laughterandlemonade.com/cracklin-chicken-nom-nom-paleo/

http://wholefork.com/thai-chicken-with-spicy-peanut-sauce/

http://physicalkitchness.com/paleo-tomato-basil-beef-goulash-with-eggplant/

http://www.mariamakes.com/home-1/2015/7/20/buffalo-chicken-zucchini-boats-whole30

http://www.gritsandchopsticks.com/the-gravy-train/2015/06/whole-30-lamb-mint-chimichurri-butternut-rice.html

I do recommend the greek salad with prosciutto - I LOVED eating that for lunch. I might have that for lunch every day the rest of the plan (unless I'm eating leftovers). Others... The red sauce with ground beef (with Italian seasoning) and spaghetti squash takes a long time but is DELICIOUS!

Here's one that works *if* you can find compliant bacon. Would be nice with a side salad.

Bacon Jalapeno Poppers

15 slices of bacon

5 chicken tenders

4 jalapenos

•            Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

•            Cut the tenders into thirds (normally about 2" long and 1" wide).

•            Cut the jalapenos into quarters (long, thin pieces) and remove seeds.

•            Wrap a chicken piece around a jalapeno slice (you'll have one extra jalapeno slice).

•            Roll the chicken/jalapeno piece up in a strip of bacon.

•            Use a toothpick to hold the bacon, chicken, and jalapeno in place (make a point of also piercing the jalapeno).

•            Once all are rolled, put on a baking sheet and put in the oven.

•            Bake 15-17 minutes (variances based on oven), turn 180 degrees, bake for another 15-17 minutes. When they're done, the bacon will look fully cooked and the jalapeno that's visible might have some brown on it.

These are flavorful and juicy - they really don't need anything else to go with them - though you'll need to add in more veggies on the side.

http://whole30.com/2015/06/the-best-of-whole30-recipes-summer-celebrations/

http://www.health-bent.com/snacks/smoked-deviled-eggs

http://paleoleap.com/quick-easy-guacamole/

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/pan-seared-chicken-with-balsamic-cream-sauce-mushrooms-and-onions

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes

http://greatist.com/eat/sweet-potato-fritters-with-avocado-salsa-recipe-video

http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2011/11/04/make-ahead-meal-starters-slow-cooker-mexican-shredded-chicken-filling/

http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2012/01/18/freezer-meal-starter-slow-cooker-basic-shredded-chicken-filling/

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/24/mmm-basic-meatballs/

http://meljoulwan.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

http://weelicious.com/2013/05/13/turkey-burgers/

http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/easy-chili

http://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-recipe/paleo-paella/

Thanks Elizabeth, that's brilliant!

Day 31..... wow, can't believe it's all over and i am so so so proud of us all for doing this!

I am so happy I did this, it's been a huge learning curve for me and I feel so much more in control of my life now. I've put together a list below of what I've gained from the plan, but before i talk about what i’ve gained i’d like to say what i would do differently/what i could have done better:

1. I didn't really follow the template till about halfway through and as a result wasn't always full enough and ended up snacking on nuts a lot.. so more fats and veg going forward!

2. I cut coffee out for a few days, but then drank it again as i do love the taste, but i do wish i’d decided to cut it out from day 1 just as an experiment, or even just transitioned to decaf.. i really do love coffee though.

3. Not been so fixated on getting tiger blood, there’s been so many other positives and i should have focused more on those

4. I only started taking the advice to not look at screens an hour before bed towards the end of the plan, but it improves sleep quality so much and i wish i’d done that from day 1

5. I still quite mindlessly eat my food - i.e. have tv on while i eat so i don’t fully focus on what i’m eating & I need to curb that habit a bit

Benefits gained :D 

Aesthetic

1. Flatter Stomach and fat loss around the lower back

2. Slightly more muscle definition

3. Spots on my back have gone away

4. Hair has grown loads, is shinier and stronger (can't say the same about my nails but i'm putting that down to all the washing up i've been doing...)

5. my face is much less oily

Eating

1. Cooking has improved massively - much more confident in the kitchen

2. Much happier to make healthy choices because I want to, not because i’ll feel guilty if i don’t

3. A lot more conscious of what i'm putting into my body, and I'm a convert to a lot more homemade things now!

Emotional

1. Unhealthy relationship with food - particularly sugar - has ended

2. Less need for alcohol in a social situation - more confident socially

3. Feeling a lot calmer, less angry towards people

4. Feel a bigger amount of control over my life

5. Huge sense of achievement to dedicate myself to the full 30 days

Physical & Well-being

1. I was able to kick my Coffee habit much easier than when i've tried before, admittedly this only lasted for a few days but that was because I missed the taste!

2. Sleeping a lot better

3. Finding it much easier to get out of bed in the mornings - I used to be a serial snooze button hitter

4. Increased energy & more drive to get stuff done - particularly after the tiger blood hit on the weekend!

I did weight myself this morning and I haven't lost or gained, but I didn't really need to lose anything - I'm in the right range for my height. I have however lost an inch from my stomach and hips, as well as half an inch from my waist!

Can't wait to hear everyone else's wins from the programme!

Today I'm going to test dairy, I'll let you all know how it goes!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Hello all, Im new on here and starting today the 19th.I have been doing some low carbing lately and this looked like something I need to do so I'm hoping it will not be a big shock. Best of luck to everyone on here.    Dave   

Good morning, everyone!  Happy Day 31 to those of us who started 6/19!

Kate - CONGRATULATIONS on your accomplishments!  That's an amazing list for just 30 days!!!!  *applause*

Elizabeth - thank you SO much for that summary list!  There are a bunch of recipes that I missed, I'm going to add them to my to-do list as I continue on.

Dave - welcome to the boards!  This thread is going to eventually fade as we're all finishing up our W30...  but it's a wonderful group with tons of good advice, so hopefully these posts will help as you go through!

I'm planning on publishing my full recap on the blog later tonight, I'll let y'all know once it's up...  I've already shared a lot of my NSVs with you guys, so today I'll share the scale victory -- I'm down 12 pounds, 2 inches off my waist, and 2 inches off my hips.  :)  It's exactly what I expected, as 10 pounds is a clothing size for me and my jeans are loose on me now.  Yay!  One thing I'm definitely doing as I move forward, though -- only weighing myself once a month.  I discovered today just how much I rely on the scale for affirmation, I weighed myself 3x already this morning (it's only 8am) to see if the scale changed throughout the morning.  Not cool.  So when the hubs gets home from work, I'm having him hide it again until September 1.  :)

I'll check in later today!  Go team go!!!!

I am so happy I did this, it's been a huge learning curve for me and I feel so much more in control of my life now. I've put together a list below of what I've gained from the plan, but before i talk about what i’ve gained i’d like to say what i would do differently/what i could have done better:

1. I didn't really follow the template till about halfway through and as a result wasn't always full enough and ended up snacking on nuts a lot.. so more fats and veg going forward!

2. I cut coffee out for a few days, but then drank it again as i do love the taste, but i do wish i’d decided to cut it out from day 1 just as an experiment, or even just transitioned to decaf.. i really do love coffee though.

3. Not been so fixated on getting tiger blood, there’s been so many other positives and i should have focused more on those

4. I only started taking the advice to not look at screens an hour before bed towards the end of the plan, but it improves sleep quality so much and i wish i’d done that from day 1

5. I still quite mindlessly eat my food - i.e. have tv on while i eat so i don’t fully focus on what i’m eating & I need to curb that habit a bit

Benefits gained :D 

Aesthetic

1. Flatter Stomach and fat loss around the lower back

2. Slightly more muscle definition

3. Spots on my back have gone away

4. Hair has grown loads, is shinier and stronger (can't say the same about my nails but i'm putting that down to all the washing up i've been doing...)

5. my face is much less oily

Eating

1. Cooking has improved massively - much more confident in the kitchen

2. Much happier to make healthy choices because I want to, not because i’ll feel guilty if i don’t

3. A lot more conscious of what i'm putting into my body, and I'm a convert to a lot more homemade things now!

Emotional

1. Unhealthy relationship with food - particularly sugar - has ended

2. Less need for alcohol in a social situation - more confident socially

3. Feeling a lot calmer, less angry towards people

4. Feel a bigger amount of control over my life

5. Huge sense of achievement to dedicate myself to the full 30 days

Physical & Well-being

1. I was able to kick my Coffee habit much easier than when i've tried before, admittedly this only lasted for a few days but that was because I missed the taste!

2. Sleeping a lot better

3. Finding it much easier to get out of bed in the mornings - I used to be a serial snooze button hitter

4. Increased energy & more drive to get stuff done - particularly after the tiger blood hit on the weekend!

Those are some really amazing benefits! I really identify with the "more control over my life" part - funny how meal planning brings a lot of things in line. Congratulations! So proud of you!

I'm planning on publishing my full recap on the blog later tonight, I'll let y'all know once it's up...  I've already shared a lot of my NSVs with you guys, so today I'll share the scale victory -- I'm down 12 pounds, 2 inches off my waist, and 2 inches off my hips.   :)  It's exactly what I expected, as 10 pounds is a clothing size for me and my jeans are loose on me now.  Yay!  One thing I'm definitely doing as I move forward, though -- only weighing myself once a month.  I discovered today just how much I rely on the scale for affirmation, I weighed myself 3x already this morning (it's only 8am) to see if the scale changed throughout the morning.  Not cool.  So when the hubs gets home from work, I'm having him hide it again until September 1.   :)

Woohoo! 12 pounds is a great, healthy amount to lose over 30 days. Congratulations! I hear you on the less weighing bit - I think my scale addiction has been chopped, though I did order a new scale, because I tossed the old one. We have a scale in my team's area, and a girl from my team weighs herself several times a day when we're doing team weight loss challenges. I used to do the same.

Archived