Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

Thanks for sharing, Kate! I too am having a really hard time with sleep... I have difficulty *going* to sleep, and then, once asleep, I'm waking up at least 2-3 times during the night to use the bathroom (which is odd, because I was already a big water fan before I started the Whole30, and I'm not trying to drink more water, though I may be doing it subconsciously due to lots of salty food). I also have a pretty persistent low-grade headache, which I guess may be the sugar dragon trying to make itself heard. I also slightly reduced the size of my portions, and I'm finding that I am hungry at appropriate times now.

Also... where is this magic powder? Do I need to talk to some guy on a corner and bring cash?  :P

Starting day 4 with a non-scale victory - I had to hook my bra a little tighter than usual while getting dressed this morning.  :D

Breakfast - ground beef, tomato slices, avocado slices, one fried egg

Lunch - leftover ground beef, homemade tomato sauce, and spaghetti squash

Dinner - leftover brisket, onions, and butternut squash (will probably also sneak in some cabbage slaw)

Yes i'm having similar issues with the sleep bar the needing the loo bit, i generally drink about 2-3L a day anyway + teas and coffees so my body has gotten used to all that! definitely drinking a bit more since starting the whole 30, probably to try and keep myself awake at my desk!!

jealous of your spaghetti squash, I can't seem to find them anywhere in the UK!

Exciting times for the NSV!! well done  :)

Also, anyone else here feel like they're spending their lives in the kitchen???  :lol:

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys and gals. My name is Kait, I'm new here and doing W30 for the first time. I started on Monday. I haven't really experienced the headaches that a few of you mentioned in the first few days. I've had near perfect days so far with some unintentional slip ups. Hoping to correct as the days go on.

I'm looking to change my eating habits. I tend to be a grazer throughout the day. I also found myself heavily relying on processed foods that often didn't fill me up. I felt like I was eating all day and still starving. Over the course of the W30 I am looking to discover better eating habits and learn when my body is telling me its hungry versus me thinking I am hungry because its a certain time. I am also looking to focus on general health and hopefully weight loss while powering my body with fuel not food. 

Also a grazer, hoping that this will fix it!

Thanks for sharing, Kate! I too am having a really hard time with sleep... I have difficulty *going* to sleep, and then, once asleep, I'm waking up at least 2-3 times during the night to use the bathroom (which is odd, because I was already a big water fan before I started the Whole30, and I'm not trying to drink more water, though I may be doing it subconsciously due to lots of salty food). I also have a pretty persistent low-grade headache, which I guess may be the sugar dragon trying to make itself heard. I also slightly reduced the size of my portions, and I'm finding that I am hungry at appropriate times now.

Also... where is this magic powder? Do I need to talk to some guy on a corner and bring cash?  :P

Starting day 4 with a non-scale victory - I had to hook my bra a little tighter than usual while getting dressed this morning.  :D

Dinner - leftover brisket, onions, and butternut squash (will probably also sneak in some cabbage slaw)

That is so funny - my best ideas for eating Whole 30 and beyond come from the brilliant Michelle Tam and her book Nom Nom Paleo.   The magic mushroom powder is a savory seasoning that is just wonderful to use in cooking.  She has over 100 recipes that are Whole30 compliant.  I highly recommend her cookbook to anyone, paleo, whole30 or just for the fun of it.  nomnompaleo.com. 

Yes i'm having similar issues with the sleep bar the needing the loo bit, i generally drink about 2-3L a day anyway + teas and coffees so my body has gotten used to all that! definitely drinking a bit more since starting the whole 30, probably to try and keep myself awake at my desk!!

Also, anyone else here feel like they're spending their lives in the kitchen???  :lol:

YES!!! I'm finding that I spend an unbelievable amount of time in the kitchen! No more time for reading or TV!

I'll ship you a spaghetti squash!

• Moderators

Also... where is this magic powder? Do I need to talk to some guy on a corner and bring cash? :P

Starting day 4 with a non-scale victory - I had to hook my bra a little tighter than usual while getting dressed this morning. :D

Magic Mushroom Powder (cut the recipe down some if you don't want to make enough for multiple jars): http://nomnompaleo.com/post/105333542218/magic-mushroom-powder-diy-holiday-gift

Speaking of shipping, would anyone be interested in doing some sort of exchange for days 10 & 11 that are supposed to be pretty difficult? The book says that a lot of people quit those days, so I figured, if we had a package, postcard, letter, e-gift, something to look forward to those days, we might do a better job of pulling each other through the tough times. Any thoughts?

Yes i need some of that magic powder too. 

Hello!

My name is Julia and my husband and I are on Day 4 (started Monday) of our first W30. For the first week, we're basically blindly following the 7-day meal plan from the Whole 30 Book. Almost every recipe requires doubling to serve 2 with leftovers for the next day. The food is all great but requires so much more prep than I'm used to, so we'll probably tweak a lot over the weekend. I'm also going to go join Costco to save some money on meat.

A few comments so far:

1) Some of the recipes from the W30 cookbook seem to be way more food than I was expecting. When we did the spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and meat, I was struggling to eat it all. Same thing last night with the brisket, b-nut squash, and giant salad. My husband and I both feel like this and we're usually pretty hearty eaters. The cookbook portions seem very inconsistent - lunches (mexican tuna boats, protein salad) are much more reasonably sized. Anyone else having this problem?

2) I'm happy to say that we haven't been getting much of the headaches, but I'm definitely in a fog. Not sure if it's sugar withdrawal or general sleep issues (we're having a heat wave in CA), but I'm drinking a lot more (black) coffee. 

3) I'm allergic to nuts so I've been swapping pepitas for nuts in most recipes. It works really well with the pesto. There are no compliant food bars that are also nut-free, with the exception of the meat bars. I bought a box of Epic Beef Apple and Bacon bars. I was stoked about them but they are actually really gross. I'm going to hunt down some compliant jerky for next week. 

4) I have an electric pressure cooker and it's amazing for cutting down cooking times on meat and veggies. I highly recommend it. 

Have a great day!

Julia

Nice job on the chicken!  It's almost like you found a unicorn!   ;)  Compliant rotisserie chx are really rare to find, lucky you!   :)

As far as the omelette, if it has dairy in it or was cooked in soy, your best bet would be a start over in order to maximise your reset because your gut resets each time you ingest an irritant such as dairy (bad) or soy (horrendous).  Sorry!  There's a "Start Over" article linked in my signature below that helps explain.

The brand name of the chicken was Just Bare Chicken.  (https://www.justbarechicken.com/products/deli-rotisserie-original-flavor

Hello!

My name is Julia and my husband and I are on Day 4 (started Monday) of our first W30. For the first week, we're basically blindly following the 7-day meal plan from the Whole 30 Book. Almost every recipe requires doubling to serve 2 with leftovers for the next day. The food is all great but requires so much more prep than I'm used to, so we'll probably tweak a lot over the weekend. I'm also going to go join Costco to save some money on meat.

A few comments so far:

1) Some of the recipes from the W30 cookbook seem to be way more food than I was expecting. When we did the spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and meat, I was struggling to eat it all. Same thing last night with the brisket, b-nut squash, and giant salad. My husband and I both feel like this and we're usually pretty hearty eaters. The cookbook portions seem very inconsistent - lunches (mexican tuna boats, protein salad) are much more reasonably sized. Anyone else having this problem?

2) I'm happy to say that we haven't been getting much of the headaches, but I'm definitely in a fog. Not sure if it's sugar withdrawal or general sleep issues (we're having a heat wave in CA), but I'm drinking a lot more (black) coffee. 

3) I'm allergic to nuts so I've been swapping pepitas for nuts in most recipes. It works really well with the pesto. There are no compliant food bars that are also nut-free, with the exception of the meat bars. I bought a box of Epic Beef Apple and Bacon bars. I was stoked about them but they are actually really gross. I'm going to hunt down some compliant jerky for next week. 

4) I have an electric pressure cooker and it's amazing for cutting down cooking times on meat and veggies. I highly recommend it. 

Have a great day!

Julia

Hi Julia!

Welcome! I'm Diana. I'm so glad you've joined us and posted, because I can completely identify with some of your concerns. For example, the meal plan recipes... YES! The portions the book indicates are huge, and I was having a very hard time eating them and still being hungry for the next meal at an appropriate time. It's almost like many of the recipes are designed for entire families (dinners), while others are designed knowing you're eating alone (lunch). My boyfriend and I have walked away from dinner each night totally stuffed with plenty of leftovers. I reduced the portion size on all of my meals just a bit and just have a lot more leftovers than they stated, which has led to not having to cook quite so much, so less of the prep time.

Speaking of prep time... I was incredibly frustrated just after prepping for Monday and wasn't sure how I could possibly make it through 30 days. After some thinking, I realized that I really have to make this my own in order for it to work for me. I thought about which flavors I really enjoy together and make plans to combine them in creative ways that also meet Whole30 standards. For example... I really love salmon and asparagus, with some herbs and butter. A very popular meal in my family is salmon, asparagus, potatoes, and a cream sauce. Obviously, I can't make the cream sauce, but I can prepare the salmon, asparagus, and potatoes in compliant ways (no parm on the asparagus, only clarified butter in other spots, etc), and then use my leftovers for a VERY tasty omelet the next morning. I also had to make some tough choices about what I wasn't willing to do. The homemade mayo was something I really abhorred after multiple tries and it still not being the right consistency, which resulted in lower quality for several of the meals towards the beginning of the week, so... I'm compromising with myself and am on the hunt for a compliant mayo I can buy at a store locally.

I definitely had the fog in a big way on my second day but recovered really well yesterday. I do drink quite a bit of water, though, and have for quite a while, and the book noted that the fog may be rougher for those who drank a lot of soda before (I have very rarely had soda for something like 10 years now). Try increasing water alongside your coffee and see if that helps.

Sorry for the lengthy reply  :wacko: but in conclusion... GO OFF-BOOK! You can do this, you just have to make it work for you!

Diana

Today?  Today has been a better day.  I got some hard boiled for breakfast.  Oh, and water.  Lunch is the second half of the chicken I got yesterday.  Dinner is a steak (I like steak!), mashed rutabagas with ghee and a salad.  It's a great Day 1 redux!!

• Administrators

Sorry for the lengthy reply  :wacko: but in conclusion... GO OFF-BOOK! You can do this, you just have to make it work for you!

Absolutely!  It's not necessary to completely remake your entire life doing a Whole30 if you already sort of had a system that worked for you.  If you were used to cooking, it's just a matter of modifying your recipes or learning new ones.  On the other hand, if you were used to eating out 3 meals a day and gorging on pizza every other evening, the book is extremely valuable in teaching people how to live differently. Take what you need, leave the rest!  :)

The homemade mayo was something I really abhorred after multiple tries and it still not being the right consistency, which resulted in lower quality for several of the meals towards the beginning of the week, so... I'm compromising with myself and am on the hunt for a compliant mayo I can buy at a store locally.

Hi, Diana!  I'm with you, homemade mayo just skeeves me out for some reason.  :D  My husband ordered some Primal mayo from Thrive Kitchen, and it's been great…  you might be able to find it locally, if not just order a couple of jars online and have it shipped!

Oy! I'm apparently on a posting binge right now  :D - but I just had a really cool revelation. NSV alert!

One of my coworkers came by and asked me for some Tums. No big deal... I have a bottle in my purse, a bottle in my car, and a bottle in my home. Excessive, right? I was eating them usually once a day after experiencing heartburn, usually in the afternoon. As I handed him the Tums, he made a comment that I probably couldn't have them... and, reading the ingredients, I definitely can't. Which brings me to my NSV:

I haven't needed a Tums this week. Not once. Not any heartburn/reflux/discomfort/etc. WOOOOHOOOO!!! :lol: 

Speaking of shipping, would anyone be interested in doing some sort of exchange for days 10 & 11 that are supposed to be pretty difficult? The book says that a lot of people quit those days, so I figured, if we had a package, postcard, letter, e-gift, something to look forward to those days, we might do a better job of pulling each other through the tough times. Any thoughts?

I actually found them at Ralphs believe it or not. They are dried

Oy! I'm apparently on a posting binge right now  :D - but I just had a really cool revelation. NSV alert!

One of my coworkers came by and asked me for some Tums. No big deal... I have a bottle in my purse, a bottle in my car, and a bottle in my home. Excessive, right? I was eating them usually once a day after experiencing heartburn, usually in the afternoon. As I handed him the Tums, he made a comment that I probably couldn't have them... and, reading the ingredients, I definitely can't. Which brings me to my NSV:

I haven't needed a Tums this week. Not once. Not any heartburn/reflux/discomfort/etc. WOOOOHOOOO!!! :lol: 

That is so awesome

Hi

I finished my first W30 on 20th May and am starting again on Monday 27th June because I've been in sugar free fall for the last 2 weeks and have regained 5lbs.

Kate, I've bought spaghetti squash from the Whole Foods Market in Glasgow in the past (sadly don't live in Glasgow, was only visiting from south of the border). I think they're only available in season though as there weren't any in store a few weeks ago. BUT, Whole Foods also stock coconut amino's and sunflower seed butter which I hadn't been able to find anywhere else.

Hi Julia!

Welcome! I'm Diana. I'm so glad you've joined us and posted, because I can completely identify with some of your concerns. For example, the meal plan recipes... YES! The portions the book indicates are huge, and I was having a very hard time eating them and still being hungry for the next meal at an appropriate time. It's almost like many of the recipes are designed for entire families (dinners), while others are designed knowing you're eating alone (lunch). My boyfriend and I have walked away from dinner each night totally stuffed with plenty of leftovers. I reduced the portion size on all of my meals just a bit and just have a lot more leftovers than they stated, which has led to not having to cook quite so much, so less of the prep time.

Speaking of prep time... I was incredibly frustrated just after prepping for Monday and wasn't sure how I could possibly make it through 30 days. After some thinking, I realized that I really have to make this my own in order for it to work for me. I thought about which flavors I really enjoy together and make plans to combine them in creative ways that also meet Whole30 standards. For example... I really love salmon and asparagus, with some herbs and butter. A very popular meal in my family is salmon, asparagus, potatoes, and a cream sauce. Obviously, I can't make the cream sauce, but I can prepare the salmon, asparagus, and potatoes in compliant ways (no parm on the asparagus, only clarified butter in other spots, etc), and then use my leftovers for a VERY tasty omelet the next morning. I also had to make some tough choices about what I wasn't willing to do. The homemade mayo was something I really abhorred after multiple tries and it still not being the right consistency, which resulted in lower quality for several of the meals towards the beginning of the week, so... I'm compromising with myself and am on the hunt for a compliant mayo I can buy at a store locally.

I definitely had the fog in a big way on my second day but recovered really well yesterday. I do drink quite a bit of water, though, and have for quite a while, and the book noted that the fog may be rougher for those who drank a lot of soda before (I have very rarely had soda for something like 10 years now). Try increasing water alongside your coffee and see if that helps.

Diana

Thanks Diana! 

I think we're going to learn a lot from week 1 as we plan for week 2 and beyond. Before W30, I cooked most of my dinners and some lunches and made steel cut oats every morning for breakfast. I don't drink soda but my big problem is snacking because I work in Silicon Valley and free/subsidized snacks are a workplace "benefit". 

The fog is getting steadily worse today, especially post lunch. Is this the carb flu I've been reading about? I'm going to fill up my water bottle and take a quick walk around the block and see if that helps. I have a presentation to my boss's boss at 5pm and I need to be clear-headed!

Julia

Why is it that when every I do one of these my life seems to fall apart. Big triggers today. Brother getting an emergency cat scan, niece just broke up with her boyfriend of 6 years and now she has had a grand mal siezure. I just want to go back to bed and pull the cover over my head while I eat all the crap I can get a hold of and climb into a vodka bottle. Not necessarily in that order. To make matters worse I am day 3, tired, and cranky.  :angry:  :blink:  :o

Taking deep breaths and have my food with me so at this present time I am steaming ahead. But I mean come on really!!

Thanks Diana! 

I think we're going to learn a lot from week 1 as we plan for week 2 and beyond. Before W30, I cooked most of my dinners and some lunches and made steel cut oats every morning for breakfast. I don't drink soda but my big problem is snacking because I work in Silicon Valley and free/subsidized snacks are a workplace "benefit". 

The fog is getting steadily worse today, especially post lunch. Is this the carb flu I've been reading about? I'm going to fill up my water bottle and take a quick walk around the block and see if that helps. I have a presentation to my boss's boss at 5pm and I need to be clear-headed!

Julia

Yikes at the free snacks! GOOD LUCK on that presentation!

I know I'll be making a lot of adjustments for week 2, as I've already made lots of adjustments for week 1. I've stuck with a diet like this before for months, but the good habits disappeared once my work schedule ramped up from 40 hours to 80 hours. I've just never seen such a focus on homemade replacements for things, like mayo and ranch dressing. I guess the difference for me way back when was that I just skipped such things, rather than making compliant versions. I learned to be okay with black coffee only, balsamic vinegar on salads, and mustard in the places I might have used mayo.

Why is it that when every I do one of these my life seems to fall apart. Big triggers today. Brother getting an emergency cat scan, niece just broke up with her boyfriend of 6 years and now she has had a grand mal siezure. I just want to go back to bed and pull the cover over my head while I eat all the crap I can get a hold of and climb into a vodka bottle. Not necessarily in that order. To make matters worse I am day 3, tired, and cranky.  :angry:  :blink:  :o

Taking deep breaths and have my food with me so at this present time I am steaming ahead. But I mean come on really!!

Well, on the bright side, being able to tackle these crises and stay compliant means it will be small potatoes to exit the 30 days and continue a healthy focus. You can do this! Remember that taking better care of yourself means you are better prepared to take care of your loved ones.

This is also a great time to reprogram your reactions to things. When the defecation hits the oscillation... take a moment to read a few pages of a book, listen to soothing sounds on a meditation app (I love Calm), or listen to some music you love. I gave up alcohol some time ago to help my reaction to a tough situation change from "go home and finish that bottle of Smirnoff" to "take a mental break and do something I enjoy that enriches my life."

Again... YOU CAN DO THIS!

Well, on the bright side, being able to tackle these crises and stay compliant means it will be small potatoes to exit the 30 days and continue a healthy focus. You can do this! Remember that taking better care of yourself means you are better prepared to take care of your loved ones.

This is also a great time to reprogram your reactions to things. When the defecation hits the oscillation... take a moment to read a few pages of a book, listen to soothing sounds on a meditation app (I love Calm), or listen to some music you love. I gave up alcohol some time ago to help my reaction to a tough situation change from "go home and finish that bottle of Smirnoff" to "take a mental break and do something I enjoy that enriches my life."

Again... YOU CAN DO THIS!

Archived