Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

PS - Double and triple-check Whole Foods foods. The lady at the counter swore up and down no sugar, no soy, no grains, etc., then I got home and saw that the cilantro lime chicken breast somehow had soy in it (even went through the ingredients myself before purchasing and still don't know how soy is in there, though it was on a warning label on her side). I should have been suspicious of anything she said when she told me that quinoa isn't a grain.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I put the tessemaes.com on as a place to get some things. LadyShanney is completely right and I want to reiterate it. Before you buy check because it may not be. Even if you got the link from whole 30. The french dressing has honey in it. Luckily I checked before I used it again. I had bought it a month before starting so it wasn't a big deal I am thinking or I was just looking for garlic & onions so I missed it not sure. BBQ sauce and mayos are ok. So are the dijon & yellow mustard. Be careful out there looking if it says whole 30 approved. I

Jealous of your juicy steak! I'm going to a baseball game (GO RED SOX) tomorrow, so while I'm extremely excited about the game (we have tickets 8 rows back from home plate), I'm concerned I'll get super hungry and won't have compliant food nearby. I found a few helpful suggestions online (ladyshanny recommended checking Google for "Whole30 picnic"), but most of them are meant to be eaten within 4 hours of being made. I'll just be getting to the area where the game is 4 hours after leaving home.

I did scan through the ballpark restaurants and found one that's in a section near where we're sitting that sells salads, so I could just take my own balsamic vinegar and get a salad. I'll just be going, then at the game, then coming home for about 12 hours, so I'll need more than that. I really don't want to scrap five days of compliance for this game.

I love your idea of ordering a salad and using your own dressing.  Can you bring a little cooler with ice packs in the car with you, to keep stuff cold for your 4-hour drive?  Then you'd be fine to bring some of it into the ballpark…  and would have the rest of it, kept cold in the car, as something to snack on for the ride home.  A couple of baggies of cooked chicken, some nuts, etc would be a big help.  Good luck!  

Can you bring a little cooler with ice packs in the car with you, to keep stuff cold for your 4-hour drive?  Then you'd be fine to bring some of it into the ballpark…  and would have the rest of it, kept cold in the car, as something to snack on for the ride home.  A couple of baggies of cooked chicken, some nuts, etc would be a big help.  Good luck!  

Thanks for the well-wishes! I just double-checked security information for the Ballpark in Arlington after you mentioned a cooler and found that I *can* take a small, soft-sided cooler with me into the park. I'll have to hit Target tomorrow to find one that works and get some ice packs.

Jealous of your juicy steak! I'm going to a baseball game (GO RED SOX) tomorrow, so while I'm extremely excited about the game (we have tickets 8 rows back from home plate), I'm concerned I'll get super hungry and won't have compliant food nearby. I found a few helpful suggestions online (ladyshanny recommended checking Google for "Whole30 picnic"), but most of them are meant to be eaten within 4 hours of being made. I'll just be getting to the area where the game is 4 hours after leaving home.

I did scan through the ballpark restaurants and found one that's in a section near where we're sitting that sells salads, so I could just take my own balsamic vinegar and get a salad. I'll just be going, then at the game, then coming home for about 12 hours, so I'll need more than that. I really don't want to scrap five days of compliance for this game.

I have that same problem 2 times per week when I work away from the office. I am starting to take frozen meat. By the time I am ready to eat it is should be thawed.  I can't do jerkies but getting some compliant beef or turkey jerky can help too

Here is one of my successful actions that I have done to help change my habits. I no longer am watching TV, reading, or on my phone when I eat. I will put on music or go and eat outside and really enjoy the food. I am getting myself off of being automatic and being present when I eat. Guess what I am really tasting my food and taking the time to eat it and not wolf it down. 

What have been some of you successful actions that have helped with the Whole 30?

Today, I had no breakfast.  Had rainbow trout with broccoli and asparagus (ensuring nothing is seasoned, as I will do that) and a good, dry salad (minus croutons, of course), with tuna steak (did I say I loved steak!), rutabaga (mashed w/ ghee).  BTW, Water is what I drink.  Only water.  I'll also have some eggs and ground pork to make up for breakfast.  The only thing I'm measuring is my glucose.  It's gone from over 200 to 140.    I have not weighed myself, though the temptation is there.  So.  Day 2.

Today, I had no breakfast.  Had rainbow trout with broccoli and asparagus (ensuring nothing is seasoned, as I will do that) and a good, dry salad (minus croutons, of course), with tuna steak (did I say I loved steak!), rutabaga (mashed w/ ghee).  BTW, Water is what I drink.  Only water.  I'll also have some eggs and ground pork to make up for breakfast.  The only thing I'm measuring is my glucose.  It's gone from over 200 to 140.    I have not weighed myself, though the temptation is there.  So.  Day 2.

Great job on the glucose! I've been really tempted to weigh myself, too. I was able to toss my scale at home (it was a terrible $5 one), but my indirect manager has a scale at his desk (literally right behind me) because he hosts so many weight loss challenges. If I can avoid it, you can, too!

Guys! I am so excited to share another NSV! Not sharing to brag, sharing because I'm excited, and I hope my excitement is contagious and helps you!

My coworker just stopped by my desk to say my skin is noticeably clearer and looks smoother/softer. I have always had a little acne, mixed with some redness/discoloration, but... no more! WOOHOO!

I'm not sure why, but I'm not able to post from my cell phone. It keeps giving me an error message. I'm still here! End of day 7! Was tempted by Cheetos, of all things, the other day, but I resisted.

Planning and meal prep are the two things helping me be successful this time around. Round 1 I cooked every meal just before I ate it. As a consequence, I felt like I NEVER left the kitchen. This time around I'm always looking for what I can make ahead of time on Mondays. It's helping, as I'm mostly just having to reheat breakfast and lunch (unless I run out.... Or my 11 year old takes something out and forgets to put it back in the fridge--breakfast casserole). Such a lifesaver!

I'm not sure why, but I'm not able to post from my cell phone. It keeps giving me an error message. I'm still here! End of day 7! Was tempted by Cheetos, of all things, the other day, but I resisted.

Planning and meal prep are the two things helping me be successful this time around. Round 1 I cooked every meal just before I ate it. As a consequence, I felt like I NEVER left the kitchen. This time around I'm always looking for what I can make ahead of time on Mondays. It's helping, as I'm mostly just having to reheat breakfast and lunch (unless I run out.... Or my 11 year old takes something out and forgets to put it back in the fridge--breakfast casserole). Such a lifesaver!

+1 to making more things ahead of time. Dinner for breakfast is nice, but I'd rather just eat the leftovers for dinner again and save myself a night of cooking. Do you have any breakfast casserole recipe recs?

Julia

Great reading about some NSV's and people really enjoying their food!

I just woke up after my first good sleep!! Went to see some friends last night who i would usually have a drink with, i had soda water and a lime slice and figured you really don't need alcohol with the right company. Was back in bed before 11:30 with a book and up early today hangover free!

this morning i'm off to a boxing class so having some Pre-WO HB eggs and mayo, then planning on adding in the Post-WO Chicken and Sweet potatoes to see how i feel.

Day 7 and feeling good, well done everyone!!  :D

+1 to making more things ahead of time. Dinner for breakfast is nice, but I'd rather just eat the leftovers for dinner again and save myself a night of cooking. Do you have any breakfast casserole recipe recs?

Julia

I use this one: http://www.lifeinthegreenhouse.com/2016/02/whole-30-fiesta-breakfast-casserole.html

I substitute ground turkey for the pork because I couldn't find any compliant ground pork in my area. It all had junk added to it! Although I did sub compliant chorizo once-- but it was too spicy for 6 in the morning. Lol. I cut into squares then store in the fridge. To reheat I wrap a square in a paper towel (so it doesn't dry out) and microwave for 30 seconds.

Guys! I am so excited to share another NSV! Not sharing to brag, sharing because I'm excited, and I hope my excitement is contagious and helps you!

My coworker just stopped by my desk to say my skin is noticeably clearer and looks smoother/softer. I have always had a little acne, mixed with some redness/discoloration, but... no more! WOOHOO!

Awesome that is so great

Great reading about some NSV's and people really enjoying their food!

I just woke up after my first good sleep!! Went to see some friends last night who i would usually have a drink with, i had soda water and a lime slice and figured you really don't need alcohol with the right company. Was back in bed before 11:30 with a book and up early today hangover free!

this morning i'm off to a boxing class so having some Pre-WO HB eggs and mayo, then planning on adding in the Post-WO Chicken and Sweet potatoes to see how i feel.

Day 7 and feeling good, well done everyone!!  :D

Great job

I use this one: http://www.lifeinthegreenhouse.com/2016/02/whole-30-fiesta-breakfast-casserole.html

I substitute ground turkey for the pork because I couldn't find any compliant ground pork in my area. It all had junk added to it! Although I did sub compliant chorizo once-- but it was too spicy for 6 in the morning. Lol. I cut into squares then store in the fridge. To reheat I wrap a square in a paper towel (so it doesn't dry out) and microwave for 30 seconds.

Is the southwest ranch very spicy? I am baby spicy so most things are hot. 

Feel worse today but woke up less often. Last 2 days have been very stressful and full of triggers that usually set me off.  Great recommendations on Day 4 Daily about sugar cravings and helping with them. Very busy day today. Very tired and grumpy. Felt like I wanted to vomit yesterday I am hoping I don’t feel like that today as well as major stomach upset. Hoping today is better and easier. Get to play with kids all day so we will see.

Have a great one

Feel worse today but woke up less often. Last 2 days have been very stressful and full of triggers that usually set me off.  Great recommendations on Day 4 Daily about sugar cravings and helping with them. Very busy day today. Very tired and grumpy. Felt like I wanted to vomit yesterday I am hoping I don’t feel like that today as well as major stomach upset. Hoping today is better and easier. Get to play with kids all day so we will see.

Have a great one

Hope you're feeling better soon, you're doing really well staying strong with all the triggers and also identifying them!

Day 6: For the most part, I'm actually feeling pretty good today! However, I've had a persistent sore throat since yesterday afternoon. No other symptoms but I'm anxious that I'm actually sick because finding cold/flu medicine that is W30 compliant seems like a huge endeavor. 

Preparing for our Week 2 Costco run this afternoon (excited and scared :mellow: ), I found this nice little guide to compliant foods:

http://costcoconnoisseur.blogspot.com/2016/01/survive-your-whole30-with-costco.html

After peeling and chopping 4 butternut squashes this week for various recipes, I'm ready to splurge on pre-chopped. 

@Theheartoverflows that recipe looks awesome - how many servings do you get out of it? I also found this one to try: http://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/ 

Hope everyone has a great weekend! As I'm typing this, my sweet husband is making kitchen sink scrambled eggs with our leftover pork chops. 

Julia

Good afternoon, everyone!  Day 7 here and feeling really good.  Had a lovely lunch yesterday at a French restaurant here in Philly...  my normal order would have been a cheeseburger and frites, instead I started with a shrimp cocktail (with a squeeze of lemon instead of the cocktail sauce) and then had a bun-less burger with a side salad (dressed with olive oil and lemon).  Drank a liter of sparkling water instead of my usual glass of wine.  And I actually left there feeling energized, instead of bloated and buzzed.  Hooray!

NSV for me today: I put on a pair of pants that have been a bit tight on me since I bought them, and instead of squeezing into them, they went right on!  Woo-hoo!  

The hubs and I are making our week 2 grocery list right now...  Here's a recipe I can't wait tonight, it seems so summery!  NOM!  https://www.instagram.com/p/BG0dtHIqV8a/ 

Day 6: For the most part, I'm actually feeling pretty good today! However, I've had a persistent sore throat since yesterday afternoon. No other symptoms but I'm anxious that I'm actually sick because finding cold/flu medicine that is W30 compliant seems like a huge endeavor.

Preparing for our Week 2 Costco run this afternoon (excited and scared :mellow: ), I found this nice little guide to compliant foods:

http://costcoconnoisseur.blogspot.com/2016/01/survive-your-whole30-with-costco.html

After peeling and chopping 4 butternut squashes this week for various recipes, I'm ready to splurge on pre-chopped.

@Theheartoverflows that recipe looks awesome - how many servings do you get out of it? I also found this one to try: http://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/

Hope everyone has a great weekend! As I'm typing this, my sweet husband is making kitchen sink scrambled eggs with our leftover pork chops.

Julia

Good afternoon, everyone! Day 7 here and feeling really good. Had a lovely lunch yesterday at a French restaurant here in Philly... my normal order would have been a cheeseburger and frites, instead I started with a shrimp cocktail (with a squeeze of lemon instead of the cocktail sauce) and then had a bun-less burger with a side salad (dressed with olive oil and lemon). Drank a liter of sparkling water instead of my usual glass of wine. And I actually left there feeling energized, instead of bloated and buzzed. Hooray!

NSV for me today: I put on a pair of pants that have been a bit tight on me since I bought them, and instead of squeezing into them, they went right on! Woo-hoo!

The hubs and I are making our week 2 grocery list right now... Here's a recipe I can't wait tonight, it seems so summery! NOM! https://www.instagram.com/p/BG0dtHIqV8a/

Day 6, game day! WOOHOO!

However, I woke up this morning with a sore throat. Not sure what to do about that, as I haven't seen any medicines that don't have things we can't have. Little/no appetite this morning, so no meal one.

I *am* excited to say, though, that I prepared an awesome meal for the game tonight. Here's what I have tucked into my new, security-compliant cooler:

-Salmon cakes

-Homemade tartar sauce (found a relish that didn't have sugar at Whole Foods and mixed it with lemon juice and compliant mayo)

-Asparagus (cooked with olive oil and salt)

-Mixed greens with tomato and avocado

-Balsamic vinegar

-Backup Larabar (just in case)

We're currently in the middle of the trip to Arlington, and I have eaten a Larabar and some beef sticks I found at Buccee's.

**ON THE ROAD FOOD TIP** I searched the whole store (Buccee's) looking for something I could eat. Every jerky had sugar or soy sauce, no hard-boiled eggs to be found. I found a set of jalapeño beef sticks in the refrigerated meats section, though, that are acceptable. So, if you're passing a Buccee's, and you're hungry, check the refrigerated meat next to the deli. Every flavor but jalapeño had something we can't eat, so make sure to grab those. And they are tasty!

I hope everyone is having a great day! I'm on my phone, and I don't see like buttons, so consider your posts liked. :) Taking a page out of ladyshanny's book: Remember that it won't be easier tomorrow, so stick with it today. That thought got me through Saturday grocery shopping, which is, of course, filled with friendly employees offering samples.

Archived