Strength in Numbers - Lets Join Feeds for starts June 18-22, Starting 20th

EJSmadhatter

Hey, y'all! 

Joining the party a little late. I started on my first whole30 on the 21st, so on day 5. I work out a lot, so I'm still tracking my calories - but to make sure I'm not undereating! I always log them after the fact, and am not at all concerned with the numbers, as long as I'm hitting my minimums. My metabolism is pretty high, so I'm eating 5-6 meals a day. I eat until I am full, then a few hours later: famished! I literally shoved a handful of raw kale in my mouth yesterday because I was hungry and frustrated. My husband laughed at me... and it was not delicious. Anyone else structuring their eating this way? 

Also, ladies (sorrynotsorry, dudes), anyone have any tips/tricks on handling shark week whole30 style? I swear I can smell chocolate cake baking a mile away right now... it's pretty much a superpower. 

I'm setting a meal plan for this week as we speak, you all have some great ideas! 

Looking forward to this!

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 6, game day! WOOHOO!

However, I woke up this morning with a sore throat. Not sure what to do about that, as I haven't seen any medicines that don't have things we can't have. Little/no appetite this morning, so no meal one.

I *am* excited to say, though, that I prepared an awesome meal for the game tonight. Here's what I have tucked into my new, security-compliant cooler:

-Salmon cakes

-Homemade tartar sauce (found a relish that didn't have sugar at Whole Foods and mixed it with lemon juice and compliant mayo)

-Asparagus (cooked with olive oil and salt)

-Mixed greens with tomato and avocado

-Balsamic vinegar

-Backup Larabar (just in case)

We're currently in the middle of the trip to Arlington, and I have eaten a Larabar and some beef sticks I found at Buccee's.

**ON THE ROAD FOOD TIP** I searched the whole store (Buccee's) looking for something I could eat. Every jerky had sugar or soy sauce, no hard-boiled eggs to be found. I found a set of jalapeño beef sticks in the refrigerated meats section, though, that are acceptable. So, if you're passing a Buccee's, and you're hungry, check the refrigerated meat next to the deli. Every flavor but jalapeño had something we can't eat, so make sure to grab those. And they are tasty!

I hope everyone is having a great day! I'm on my phone, and I don't see like buttons, so consider your posts liked. :) Taking a page out of ladyshanny's book: Remember that it won't be easier tomorrow, so stick with it today. That thought got me through Saturday grocery shopping, which is, of course, filled with friendly employees offering samples.

Going to have to check whole foods for the relish

• Moderators

Also, ladies (sorrynotsorry, dudes), anyone have any tips/tricks on handling shark week whole30 style? I swear I can smell chocolate cake baking a mile away right now... it's pretty much a superpower. 

Know that in the week or so leading up to your period and maybe the first few days of it, you will more than likely be hungrier than normal, and may be craving lots of carbs. This is normal, it's your body's way of gearing up for possible pregnancy. Eat more in general (one of the other mods reports eating basically twice as much food each day during this time, like six meals), and eat more starchy vegetables if you want to. Your appetite will go back to normal soon.

There's been lots of discussion on this in the forums in the past, check out the Ladies Only section for more if you're interested.

I successfully navigated a Mom's Night Out last night! They wanted to eat at Chili's, which has NOTHING compliant (although I will say their allergen menu is pretty detailed which will come in handy for me post W30). I just got an unsweetened tea and a house salad (no cheese, no croutons, no dressing) so I'd have something to munch on and enjoyed my friends while they had their appetizers and such. When I got home, then I had an actual meal. It was a little late but it was worth it! I almost, almost ordered the margarita chicken, which was visibly compliant (without cheese or tortilla strips) but I wasn't sure if it had added sugar or not so I didn't risk it. I actually was able to shut it down and tell myself it wasn't worth throwing away the past week. Victory!

I successfully navigated a Mom's Night Out last night! They wanted to eat at Chili's, which has NOTHING compliant (although I will say their allergen menu is pretty detailed which will come in handy for me post W30). I just got an unsweetened tea and a house salad (no cheese, no croutons, no dressing) so I'd have something to munch on and enjoyed my friends while they had their appetizers and such. When I got home, then I had an actual meal. It was a little late but it was worth it! I almost, almost ordered the margarita chicken, which was visibly compliant (without cheese or tortilla strips) but I wasn't sure if it had added sugar or not so I didn't risk it. I actually was able to shut it down and tell myself it wasn't worth throwing away the past week. Victory!

CONGRATULATIONS, that is huge!!!!  :)  You're an inspiration!  I'm going to remember that for future challenges when eating out -- that I can always get a dressing-less salad, and eat my protein later at home.  Yay!

Starting Day 5! So far so good, though I an experiencing that brain fog that is discussed. And when does that disappear??

Some of you have posted incredible meals that you are making. Where are you finding some of these recipes? I have the Whole30 book that has some, but would love some recommendations for other sites. Thanks!

Hey, y'all! 

Joining the party a little late. I started on my first whole30 on the 21st, so on day 5. I work out a lot, so I'm still tracking my calories - but to make sure I'm not undereating! I always log them after the fact, and am not at all concerned with the numbers, as long as I'm hitting my minimums. My metabolism is pretty high, so I'm eating 5-6 meals a day. I eat until I am full, then a few hours later: famished! I literally shoved a handful of raw kale in my mouth yesterday because I was hungry and frustrated. My husband laughed at me... and it was not delicious. Anyone else structuring their eating this way? 

I'm setting a meal plan for this week as we speak, you all have some great ideas! 

Looking forward to this!

I have to eat more meals per day because of my hypoglycemia. I sometimes can't get down a really large meal at a time so I make smaller ones and do about 4 per day. Because of my adrenal failure I also can't let myself get too hungry because my blood sugar drops and it is too stressful for my adrenals. I am slowly trying to eat more and see what I eat that allows me to go longer without a blood sugar drop. 

Ironically shark week on discovery channel starts today. 

Congratulations!! Thank you for sharing this. It really helps

Starting Day 5! So far so good, though I an experiencing that brain fog that is discussed. And when does that disappear??

Some of you have posted incredible meals that you are making. Where are you finding some of these recipes? I have the Whole30 book that has some, but would love some recommendations for other sites. Thanks!

Here are some links that will give you whole 30 recipes and the other people with cook books that are whole 30 approved:

http://whole30.com/category/recipes/

http://whole30.com/2013/07/whole30-meal-plans/

Day 6 and I had my first cheating dream this morning. It was a tollhouse chocolate chip cookie. It was one of those things were you are talking with someone and eat. Then I realized what it was and for a split second I was like oh well guess I should eat what I want and start again tomorrow and then I got really pissed and spit the cookie out and got mad at the person who I was with for having them out. Then I woke up. I still feel a little like I just cheated. Too funny.

I am feeling a little better today. Still have the energy hangover but I don’t feel as sick. I am hoping that this whole 30 I see a better energy change. The last one I was constantly tired. I was sleeping better thought. I will most likely have to do several whole 30’s back to back to heal the damage that I have done to my body.

Any of you find any info on what to take if you are getting sick please share. I would really like to know. I work with children on the weekend and they were all coughing including some of the staff. I have bad allergies too so a cough can be a problem.

Yesterday was the slowest I have ever had. I only had 4 kids. I was reading It Start’s with Food but between the sciency word and being tired I kept having problems with it. Sometimes they define the word that then the next time it would come up I would forget it. L

I took last night off and just chilled since I have had such a stressful last few days. Still forgetting things so I need to make a list and check it before I leave any place so I am not causing my self in trouble. (I cringe to say this because it has been what my brother has been saying for quite a while now)

​Keep the travel ideas going I am going to a family reunion on July 5-8. I will be bringing food with me like dressing and snacks. I have also let everyone know and they are all supportive.

With the 4 of July coming up maybe post some recipes would be great. Lets figure out how to make it compliant together. 

Here is one for sweet potato salad 

http://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/whole30-potato-salad-recipe/

Ingredients

• 8 potatoes
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/3 cup homemade mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon mustard
  • 1 cup sliced and quartered cucumbers
  • Optional: chopped onions, celery or carrots

Instructions

1. Wash, peel and cut potatoes into bite-size pieces. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes and put them in a big bowl.
  2. Put the eggs in another saucepan and add water to cover them. Bring the water to a boil, and then let the water and eggs boil gently for 5 minutes. Drain the eggs and cover them with ice cold water. Allow the eggs to sit in the cold water while you mix up the dressing.
  3. For the dressing, combine the salt, mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar and pepper. Mix until completely combined. Set aside.
  4. Once the eggs are cool enough to touch, drain the water. Peel the eggs and dice them, then add them to the potatoes. Pour the dressing over top the eggs and potatoes and mix until the potatoes are covered.
  5. After the salad is completely cooled, add the diced cucumber. If you add this while the potatoes are still warm, it will soften the cucumber. Add in the onions, celery and carrots, if desired.
  6. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cuisine: American | Recipe Type: Side Dish

Notes

*To use fewer pans and save a bit of time, boil the eggs in the same pan as the potatotes.

Thanks for the potato salad recipe!  That's exactly what my husband and I are doing for the 4th -- a friend is having a BBQ, and knowing I won't be able to resist potato salad, I offered to be the one to bring it.  This way I can use Primal Kitchen mayo and know I can eat it.  :)  Between that, a bun-less burger, and a salad, I should be fine that day!

Carol - my husband and I get a lot of recipes from Nom Nom Paleo (www.nomnompaleo.com), BUT you have to check the recipes because some of the recipes have non-compliant ingredients.  For instance, I made this the other night and it was delicious: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3762844557/slow-cooker-korean-grass-fed-short-ribs     But I used water instead of chicken broth, because my local stores didn't have chicken broth without sugar in it.

Well, I made it through the game without breaking rules. My boyfriend drank beer and ate wings; I drank something like 70oz of water and ate my salmon cakes with the tartar sauce and was too full for my salad. There were people having lots of things I couldn't have - ice cream, beer, margaritas, ballpark nachos - all around me, but I had the willpower to stay compliant. Something about this plan makes it easier to stick with it. Maybe it's the effort you put into it.

Sounds like the group is having a lot of wins all around! Great work!

Day 7 will be lots of leftovers, visiting stores I don't have time to visit during the work week (I'll make sure to share any good finds), and cooking ALL THE THINGS because I'm pet/house sitting for my sister this week, so not at home with all my goodies.

I'm late to the party, but I started my Whole30 on June 20th.  I posted a big long introduction on the forum, which I won't repeat here.  :)  Basically, I'm an Ovarian Cancer survivor of 1 year, wanting to take back my life from fear and pain.  I need to read this thread, but it's a long one, so I'm saving it for when I have a few minutes where my kids aren't yelling at me.  :)

Have a great day, everyone!  Day 7 for me!

Amy/montana722

Nicely done! Hubs wants me to go with him to a wine tasting tomorrow (it's part of his job). Definitely not ready for that challenge! 

PINTEREST! It's been my saving grace for actual recipes. Just type 'whole30' in the search and you get a ton of options. I actually hate using recipes, but all the great one I've found are helping me break the 'but it neeeeeeeds cheese and butter and grains! NNNEEEEEEDDDSSSS!' mentality. 

I'm not sure! I forgot that was in there. I actually make my own ranch and use that instead!

I went  20 min out of my way today to buy the Tessamae's Southwestern Ranch at Whole Foods and they didn't have it! I bought the regular ranch and the checkout clerk goes, "You know they're Southwestern Ranch is so good! I get it at Safeway." There are 2 Safeways within 5 minutes of my apartment.... 

I introduced myself on another thread that started June 20th with my partner.  So, hello everyone.  Love seeing the recipes!

Day 7 and I'm still struggling with wanting something sweet, especially at work in the afternoons.  I work retail (bookstore), where we have a lovely cafe that I do not get anything from since starting the Whole 30!  However, towards the last few hours of my shift after dealing with people all day, all I wanted was a cupcake!  I came home & ate a bowl of fruit instead, whew!  I also might not have eaten enough between last night and this afternoon because I was hangry the last few hours as well.  Like, really hangry.  Going to go bake some salmon, saute some veggies (we love ghee), and nibble on some cashews.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!

Well, I made it through the game without breaking rules. My boyfriend drank beer and ate wings; I drank something like 70oz of water and ate my salmon cakes with the tartar sauce and was too full for my salad. There were people having lots of things I couldn't have - ice cream, beer, margaritas, ballpark nachos - all around me, but I had the willpower to stay compliant. Something about this plan makes it easier to stick with it. Maybe it's the effort you put into it.

Sounds like the group is having a lot of wins all around! Great work!

Day 7 will be lots of leftovers, visiting stores I don't have time to visit during the work week (I'll make sure to share any good finds), and cooking ALL THE THINGS because I'm pet/house sitting for my sister this week, so not at home with all my goodies.

Congratulations that is awesome job!!

I'm late to the party, but I started my Whole30 on June 20th.  I posted a big long introduction on the forum, which I won't repeat here.   :)  Basically, I'm an Ovarian Cancer survivor of 1 year, wanting to take back my life from fear and pain.  I need to read this thread, but it's a long one, so I'm saving it for when I have a few minutes where my kids aren't yelling at me.   :)

Have a great day, everyone!  Day 7 for me!

Amy/montana722

So glad you are joining us.

I introduced myself on another thread that started June 20th with my partner.  So, hello everyone.  Love seeing the recipes!

Day 7 and I'm still struggling with wanting something sweet, especially at work in the afternoons.  I work retail (bookstore), where we have a lovely cafe that I do not get anything from since starting the Whole 30!  However, towards the last few hours of my shift after dealing with people all day, all I wanted was a cupcake!  I came home & ate a bowl of fruit instead, whew!  I also might not have eaten enough between last night and this afternoon because I was hangry the last few hours as well.  Like, really hangry.  Going to go bake some salmon, saute some veggies (we love ghee), and nibble on some cashews.

Great job. So hard I know when you work with that kind of food all around

I too am on day 7 and seriously struggling not to pick up something sugary. The sugar demons in my head are amplified when I haven't eaten well or recently enough (not enough fat, not enough protein, not enough salt), so when they start to get louder, I make appropriate adjustments ASAP.

Welcome, and so glad to have you!

So I got really tired this afternoon and then started feeling very sick to my stomach. Not sure why but came home and having a LA Croix (my saving grace) and making chicken veggies soup. I made some bone broth 2 weeks ago in prep for this. Does help sooth the stomach. Going to an 1-1/2 meeting and all i want to do is climb into be. Great job this weekend everyone

Archived