Working out at night- Post w/o meal necessary?

Mammamets

I was just wondering if my post work out meal is all that necessary? I eat a pretty good amount of protein/fat/veggie balance through the day - on template. I work out around 8-9 at night after my kids are in bed and I'm usually still full from dinner and still full even after my work out to eat.

The thing is I wake up ravenous and shaky... And it takes a long time after I eat my breakfast to feel normal again. Like I have low blood sugar or something. .

My work outs are 15 minute high intensity circuit training. So I'm sure I'm not depleting too much, but I work up a really good sweat and am pretty sore most days. I do this every single day.

Could working out in the morning be a better approach? I haven't hit the tiger blood thing yet so AM is still a bit rough for me.

• Moderators

Eating lean protein and maybe starchy veggies within 15 minutes of completing a workout speeds muscle recovery. Do you want to improve muscle recovery? You must eat a post-workout meal if you do.

Exercising before bed is horrible for your hormonal rhythms. Exercising intensely every single day is generally a bad idea. Moving every day is good. Intensity every day is bad. Your muscles grow when you are not exercising. Being sore most days means you are not recovering properly. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, Tom. I also workout in the evenings because it is the only available time for me to do so. I jog approximately 3 miles in 25-30 minutes 4-5 times a week between 7-7:30 pm. I typically go to bed anywhere from 9-10:00 pm. Is this exercise regime too close to my bedtime. I am aware that excercising before bed is not ideal, but I thought two hours would be enough down time after jogging. Just curious if I am doing more harm than good.

• 5 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:18 PM, Tom Denham said:

Eating lean protein and maybe starchy veggies within 15 minutes of completing a workout speeds muscle recovery. Do you want to improve muscle recovery? You must eat a post-workout meal if you do.

Exercising before bed is horrible for your hormonal rhythms. Exercising intensely every single day is generally a bad idea. Moving every day is good. Intensity every day is bad. Your muscles grow when you are not exercising. Being sore most days means you are not recovering properly. 

Hello! I'm a new W30er on day 7. I'm also a fitness instructor teaching moderate to high intensity cardio classes 5-6 times per week and I am interested in shedding body fat/ building lean muscle. I've been browsing the forums looking to see how much I should be eating and when to have what meals. Here is a sample of what I've been eating so far:
Breakfast :2-3 slices of W30 compliant bacon, 3 eggs (2 whole, 1 white) cooked in either ghee or grapeseed oil, 1 small avocado (although I think I may need low FODMAP)
A.M. snack: carrots and 2oz blackberries or an apple (I've just learned from reading snacking is discouraged)

Lunch: Roasted Chicken thighs with root veggies (carrots, white potato, sweet potato)

Workout: teaching 1-2 hours of med to high intensity cardio classes (Zumba & hip-hop cardio) and sometimes afterwards taking a BodyPump class for myself to get in strength training

Dinner: 1 chicken breast with W30 approved hot sauce and Dump ranch, sometimes with sweet potato, or spaghetti squash with turkey meat sauce and roasted kale or brussel sprouts

Drinks: I'll have a cup of plain green or dandelion tea, and getting 70-90oz of water. I'm 5'3, 176lbs if that helps.

Note: Now that I'm on day 7, I realize after reading the forum that I have still been feeding my sugar/snack dragon with small servings of fruit during the day and not giving my body a chance to tap into fat stores so could you please let me know what I should add or remove to my daily meals to ensure I'm satiated but also taking in enough to meet my goals?

Thanks so much! All of your posts and replies have been really helpful thus far :)

Welcome about @Alvaneice

Your meals don't look too bad, but your breakfast needs veg and grapeseed oil isn't a good choice. I'm also not seeing any real fat in your lunch. 

Depending on when you're teaching, you're going to need at the very least a post-workout meal of lean protein and starchy carb. A hard-boiled egg or some kind of protein and fat on days when you're teaching longer would probably be a good idea too. 

You're only just barely drinking enough water, sometimes...shoot for at least 1/2 oz of water per lb of body weight (so not less than 88oz and likely a good bit more while you're teaching). 

Archived