Day5 symptoms so bad I'm struggling to continue

Hi all. I'm doing my first whole30 to try to help my arthritis but I'm on day 5 of my whole30 and am feeling terrible. My joint pain is the worst it's been for a while and I'm permanently exhausted and struggling to walk. I'm already off work atm due to my condition and was in the process of arranging a return so this is really setting me back. can anyone relate? How did you get through it? When did it start to improve? Thanks

Hey there

Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time... Could you give us a run down of what you have been eating over the past 3-4 days, with specifics on vegetables in particular? Nightshades are know to aggravate arthritis symptoms so if you've been eating a lot of them they could be your culprit - this could in turn effect energy levels... That said it could just be that your meals are lacking in fat - without knowing what you've eaten though it would be difficult to pass comment/suggest possible tweaks.

Hi there. Thanks for your reply. I am eating more potatoes (new and sweet) than I usually would (daily) as I find I that cutting out all starchy carbs really affects my energy levels. I'm also eating a couple more eggs a day than I usually would (Max of 4 instead of 2 a day). I've had trout, chicken and lamb for meat. I've been using ghee as fat with potatoes and olive oil for cooking and over leafy green salads etc. I've not eaten any eggplant/aubergine and just a handful of tomatoes. I've had roasted carrots and courgettes and onion and garlic, cauliflower, broccoli and leeks. Satsumas, cherries, strawberries, melon. That's about it so far I think. I did wonder if I should do the AIP but I think I'd struggle without the eggs and potatoes to find filling and energising foods. Thanks for your help

Sorry, but it looks to me like nightshades could be your culprit - I'd remove the potatoes, tomatoes, eggs & any bell peppers/hot peppers for a week to see how you go. Sweet potatoes are fine,and you can get additional starch from veg like plantains, turnips, parsnips etc. It may seem like a big ask but if nightshades ARE you're culprit it will be so worth it.

And definitely increase your fat - this will help with satiety & energy. The fat you are using for cooking is negligible so you need to add an additional source to each meal. be generous when you drizzle that oil... Add in avocado, olives, coconut milk, compliant bacon.... Embrace the fat!

Archived