First Whole30 Started 6/20/16

NikPur

I started my first Whole30 yesterday! Today I feel fantastic! I had so much energy yesterday and accomplished a lot for a Monday. I really am not changing a lot of how I eat except the sugar and minimal dairy. I am already gluten free, started about a year ago for health reasons. I like the Whole30 because I know anything I'm going to make is going to be gluten-free, which can be tough to do! I'm afraid I won't see as drastic results as some people have since I already do eat pretty healthy. Anyone else struggled with this? 

Day one consisted of: 

Breakfast: 2 sausage, pepper, onion, & spinach mini egg frittatas with a side of fruit. 1 cup black coffee. 

Lunch: Hamburger patty with grapes ( I know I didn't eat enough for this meal. Traveling for work made it difficult) 

Dinner: Grilled Chicken with Sweet Potatoe wedges, red pepper mayo (homemade from whole30 book) with 1/2 of an avocado. 

I also took my "before" photos today - let's hope the after photos look a little better. 

Today's meals include:

Breakfast: 2 sausage, pepper, onion, & spinach mini egg frittatas with a side of fruit. 1 cup black coffee.  

Lunch: Grilled Chicken with Sweet Potatoe wedges, red pepper mayo (homemade from whole30 book) * leftover from last night

Dinner: Broccoli mushrooms and yellow squash with red pepper sauce w/ chicken breasts & side salad

Anyone have suggestions to my meals? Am I getting enough of each category? 

Day two still felt great! My boyfriend who is doing this with me started to feel the "hang-over" yesterday. He reported having brain fog, and feeling weird although he couldn't pinpoint exactly why. I know why!! The 2-3 day sugar hangover!

Day two meals included:

B: 2 sausage, pepper, onion, & spinach mini egg frittatas with a side of fruit. 1 cup black coffee. 

Lunch: Grilled Chicken with Sweet Potatoe wedges, red pepper mayo (homemade from whole30 book) * leftovers

Dinner: Broccoli mushrooms and yellow squash with red pepper sauce w/ chicken breasts and side salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. 

Haven't been extremely hungry yet - just the normal amount. I could have eaten some sweet fruit last night around 9, but figured it was a sugar craving and resisted. It wasn't that hard (yet). 

Day 3: I woke up feeling the hangover. It's not horrible. Just slight brain fog and a slight headache. Not terribly "tired" just feel not 100%. I am working out over my lunch break, and my workouts usually tend to help me focus a little better - so hopefully that helps! 

How long does the hangover stage last? I'm afraid if it continues too much longer for the BF I might lose him!

• Administrators

How long does the hangover stage last? I'm afraid if it continues too much longer for the BF I might lose him!

Hey Nik,

It really depends on what the person's diet was like before Whole30.  If they were typically eating tonnes of sugars, carby-bread type stuff, alcohol, dairy etc or they went on a major "bender" before the start date, it can be significant.  Think uncomfortable for up to 10 days.  If they were generally a healthy eater and are just making the adjustment to meal timing and becoming a fat burner, it isn't as hard to handle.

Make sure he is drinking lots of water (half ounce per pound of his body weight) and that he is eating enough.  His palm or two of protein, 1-3 cups veggies, 1-2 servings of fat.  Pre and post workout foods if he is depleting himself regularly.

Thanks for the advice! As of yesterday, he was feeling much better. Even went to a work happy hour and stuck on it! If he can do that I think he will be in it! His biggest problem will be giving up the beer. 

My fog went away after I worked out yesterday (as I assumed it would) but I was SO tired yesterday evening I could have gone to bed at 6:00! I forced myself to stay up until about 9:00 and then slept like a baby. 

Started taking Magnesium supplements via a recommendation from my physical therapist for some shoulder and nerve pain I'm having. A much more natural alternative to the high dosage pain meds my doc prescribed. 

I have been taking Ambien my insomnia for the past 8 (or so?) months, it's working great but I'm thinking I might try to get off it if the sleep quality is supposed to be one of the things to improve via Whole30. Has anyone else done this while on their Whole30? Any advice?

Food for day 3: 

Breakfast: 2 sausage, pepper, onion, & spinach mini egg frittatas with a side of fruit. 1 cup of coffee, black. 

PW: Hard boiled egg

Lunch: Broccoli mushrooms and yellow squash with red pepper sauce w/ chicken breasts and an avocado.

Dinner: Stuffed bell peppers via Whole30 cookbook. 

So full yesterday I had to force myself to eat dinner - it was delicious though. One of my favorite meals so far. 

Haven't logged all weekend. OOOPS! Will say, we were quite nervous about the weekend being difficult in terms of temptations and falling off the diet but we stuck through. We even attended a beer tasting where we just hung out and didn't drink a drop. Big personal accomplishment for myself and my BF. 

Meals ...

Day 4

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with leftover bell pepper filling 

Lunch: Southwestern Bell Pepper w/ Avocado

dinner: Spaghetti squash, chicken meatballs, tomato sauce (all from whole 30 cookbook)

Day 5

Breakfast: Fruit salad (YUM) with a hard boiled egg and one cup of black coffee

Lunch: Avocado Tuna salad

Dinner: Pork Carnitas with pineapple avocado and side salad

Day 6 

Breakfast: Woke up too late for breakfast but had a banana

Lunch: Avocado tuna salad

dinner: mexican chicken fajitas with peppers and guac

Day 7 

Brunch ; leftover Carnitas with pineapple

Snack: spoonful of almond butter with handful of nut mix

Dinner: Lean steak, baked potato, Brussels sprouts

Woke up this morning with a little headache but I think its due to the weather. Starting a new week and officially though a whole week of the Whole30 feels good! Happy day 8!!!

Day 8

​Breakfast: 2 sausage, pepper, onion, mushroom, & spinach mini egg frittatas with a side of fruit. 1 cup of coffee, black. 

​Pre workout: boiled egg

​Post workout: apple slices with almond butter (who knew this combo was SOO good!!)

Lunch: Steak salad with Brussels sprouts and cilantro mayo

​Dinner: Curry chicken with cauliflower rice 1/2 an avocado * delicious if I may add!

Had a really hard time sleeping this night, but otherwise felt good. Workout was good - lifted weights a little easier!

Day 9

Breakfast: 2 sausage, pepper, onion, mushroom, & spinach mini egg frittatas with a side of fruit. 1 cup of coffee, black. 

Lunch: Leftover curry chicken with cauli rice. Apple and almond butter

Dinner: Grilled burger, potatoes, roasted broccoli and a 1/2 avocado

Snack: handful of cashew almond pistachio mix.

Spotted a little bit today, I never usually have spotting in between periods. Is this pretty normal with the whole30?

Feeling really good though, loving the food!! It really isn't as hard as I thought it would be! 

• Administrators

Spotted a little bit today, I never usually have spotting in between periods. Is this pretty normal with the whole30?

Ya, pretty normal.  Of course if you are concerned you should see your doctor as no one here can dispense medical advise.  That said; Whole30 is all about rebalancing your hormones.  Since hormones are what carry messages across your body, it makes sense that they might be a bit mixed up at the beginning.  Most women that report early, late or missed periods and spotting during their Whole30 also report that it balances back out and is improved in their next cycle.

Didn't log over the long weekend ... hopefully I can remember what I ate!

Day 10

​Breakfast: 2 sausage, pepper, onion, mushroom, & spinach mini egg frittatas with a side of fruit. 1 cup of coffee, black. 

PW: boiled egg

Lunch: Grilled burger, potatoes, roasted broccoli and a 1/2 avocado / apple and almond butter

Dinner: Sweet potato and chicken chowder *whole30 cookbook

Day 11

Breakfast: Cashew cookie lara bar / boiled egg / fruit / coffee black

Lunch: leftover chowder from dinner

Dinner: Steak fajita salad with avocado cilantro dressing

Day 12:

Breakfast: Apple w/ almond butter & banana (I know this was light, but had a work meeting)

Lunch: Grilled portabella mushroom, 1/2 avocado, 2 slices tomato, grilled zucchini, grilled peppers

Dinner: Grilled chicken breast, side salad, baked potato

Snack: handful of nuts

Day 13:

​Breakfast: Kitchen sink scrambled eggs (spinach, pepper, onion, egg)

Lunch: Mexican Tuna salad

Dinner: Turkey burgers with Brussels sprouts 

Day 14:

Breakfast: late morning snack, close to lunch. Slept way to late - rainy Saturday morning :)  apple w/ almond butter

Lunch: Grilled chicken w/ strawberry "salsa" / brown mustard potato salad / side salad / grilled pineapple

Dinner: Left over turkey burger with roasted potatoes

Day 15: (4th of July)

Breakfast: Turkey sausage homemade with sweet potato home fries and a boiled egg 1 cup black coffee

Lunch: Brisket, brown potato salad, mix fresh veggies, fruit salad,

Dinner: pulled pork avocado slices fresh peppers pico di gallo

Feeling pretty good so far. Starting day 16 today. This weekend I was really tired, might just have been because of the crappy weather we had here in the Midwest. I'm a little sunflower and wilt when there are consecutive days of no sunshine!

Started spotting on the 10th day and its still going strong on the beginning of the 16th ... thinking that might have been another reason why I was so tired this weekend. Really only issue I've had with the program, but from the discussions I've read the spotting seems pretty normal. Any suggestions for modifications I should make?

I forgot, I also had 2 compliant hot dogs for lunch yesterday & let me tell you - they were AMAZING! I normally don't even eat hot dogs when not on the whole 30, but the BF went out of they way to buy them for the 4th & they were worth it!

Day 16

Can't believe we made it this far! It hasn't been nearly as hard as I thought it would be! Hardest part has been the meal prep for sure - we actually ate pretty healthy before so the food hasnt been entirely different. Its just more about eleminating the extra and making sure to have a meal plan!

Breakfast: Lara bar; 2 turkey sausage patties; fresh cherries; 1 cup black coffee

Lunch: Grilled chicken with strawberry tomato "salsa" and roasted potatoes

Dinner: T bone steak; side salad; asparagus

Workout: body step

Hi!! They are Boar's Head skinless beef frankfurters. We found them at a mid-Missouri version of Kroger. Not something I would normally choose, but a hot dog on the 4th is always in order!

Ingredients listed: Beef, Water, Salt, Paprika, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite

Day 17

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs / apple slices with almond butter / coffee

Pre workout: lara bar

Lunch: Steak salad with asparagus, cherry tomatoes and avocado dressing

Dinner: Chicken cashew stir fry with red peppers, broccoli, onion garlic and coconut aminos. (yummy!)

Workout: Body pump over lunch break.

Feeling pretty good today! Slept great and noticed I had more energy than usual!

Day 18

Lunch: Chicken cashew stir fry with red peppers, broccoli, onion garlic and coconut aminos.

Dinner: Taco salad w/ ground beef, tomatoes, onion, avocado, and lettuce

Snack: banana larabar - good flavor! wasn't sure on this one but it might be my favorite flavor so far! La Croix water - berry flavor

I felt bloated today. My stomach felt flabby, but other than that I felt pretty good! More energy, sleeping better. I read that nuts can lead to bloating - so I might cut the nut butter out for breakfast if it doesn't get better.

Still having heavy spotting for going on 10 days now. I haven't really been feeling any effects I normally feel when on my period though (tired, headaches etc.), so haven't really worried about it! My normal cycle should start soon so maybe everything will fall in line!

Guys, day 22 and I'm still going strong! I'm really proud of myself for making it this far & I feel like I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! This actually hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. The meal prep and planning has been the most difficult part - but even then, it hasn't been that bad! Cutting out the food really hasn't been difficult, possilby because I have been gluten free for over a year. Not sure if I have had any weight loss, but I am feeling much better and haven't had any headaches or body aches in about 15 days. 

Anyways, here is my food days 19-21!

Day 19

Pre-workout: Lara Bar

Lunch: Chipotle carnitas salad w/ guac & pico

Dinner: Brussels sprouts & coconut milk chipotle pork chops

Day 20:

Brunch: Sweet potatoes, 2 hard boiled eggs, fruit salad, coffee

Dinner: Grilled chicken, roasted potatoes, fresh green beans

Snacks: Almond butter & sliced apple. Handful of cashews  

Day 21:

Breakfast: Sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, fruit salad coffee ( I know I skipped the protein on this one, but I wasn't feeling eggs or meat)

Lunch: 2 compliant hot dogs, handful of cashews

Dinner: Grilled chicken fajitas with grilled onions and red pepper. Side of guac.

Day 22

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs / strawberries, blackberries, grapes, banana, 1 cup coffee

Preworkout : lara bar

Lunch: grilled chicken / 1/2 an avocado, roasted poratoes

dinner: pulled pork lettuce wraps w/ avocado aoli / avocado slices & onion

Workout: body pump over lunch break. Slept like a rock! Probably the best nights sleep I've gotten yet.

Day 23

Breakfast: 1 hard boiled egg & banana 2 cups coffee

Lunch: pulled pork salad w/ an avocado & lemon garlic dressing

Dinner: burgers / 2 slices tomato / 1/2 avocado / broccoli

snack: handfull cashews

workout: ran an easy 2 miles. Had a TON of energy today going going going from 5 am - 11 pm straight even with an early evening run. That NEVER happens! Possibly extra energy is because I've made a point to add more fat into my meals.

The last few days have flown by and here I am on day 29!! I can't believe I've made it this far. Need to backlog my meals I'll do my best to remember ...

Day 24:

Breakfast: Hard boiled egg; coffee; almond butter and apple slices

Lunch: burger patty / broccoli / 1/2 avocado

Dinner: Chicken picatta with roasted potatoes

day 25:

Breakfast: hard boiled egg; coffee, fruit

lunch: chicken picatta with roasted potatoes

Dinner:Turkey burgers w/ broccoli & roast potatoes and avocado slices

day 26:

breakfast: hard boiled egg; lara bar; coffee

lunch: turkey burger w/ avocado slices & broccoli

Dinner: lean steak w/ roasted okra and tomoato

Day 27:

Breakfast: 4 over easy eggs; fruit salad; coffee

Lunch: ate out: filling of a philly chicken sand. minus bun and cheese - grilled chicken with mushrooms & red peppers & onion

Dinner: grilled chicken w/ roasted okra & tomato

day 28:

breakfast: apple and almond butter; strawberries;

snack: lara bar

Lunch: pulled pork & pineapple

Dinner: Turkey burgers w/ brussels sprouts & homemade mayo & avocado & tomato

Archived