Favorite grilled chicken?

Karen_Suep

I'm currently on a "grill everything in sight" kick, but I'm still a bit of a novice at grilling. My parents never really grilled so I was never really exposed to it til more recently. Now I have a grill and grill everything in sight, seriously. Instead of "will it blend?" It's "will it grill!"

That being said, I don't have a go to for how to season grill chicken. I have recipes for grilled chicken but they have bold flavors and I'm looking to do something a little more neutral so I can mix leftovers with mayo or cut up to top salad. Salt and pepper seems too bland.

• Administrators

I like to brine the drier meats (like chicken breast or pork chops) in a salty solution at least over night and then pound flat.  This seems to make the meat juicier and more flavourful.  I then dry it off and season with an "every day" seasoning similar to below (I reduce the salt because the meat will become a bit saltier from the brine).  I personally take my crushed up every-day seasoning and then mix it with a good amount of melted coconut oil into a paste and then spread that on the dried-off meat before grilling.  Otherwise the seasoning will just burn.

1. 2 Tbsp coarse sea salt.
  2. 1/4 C whole mustard seeds.
  3. 1/3 C rainbow peppercorns.
  4. 1/4 C whole coriander seeds.
  5. 1 Tbsp dehydrated onion.
  6. 1 Tbsp dehydrated garlic.
  7. 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes.

• Administrators

Throw your chicken into a briney bath tonight then!  I'm a lazy briner so I just throw the meat in (frozen or thawed) a ziploc bag, toss a handful or so of salt in, some peppercorns, cumin and coriander seeds if you want and then fill to the brim with warm water.  Swish around until the salt is dissolved and then return to the fridge (in a bowl to catch leaks) for overnight.  Remove half hour before grilling so the meat doesn't seize and become tough when it hits the heat.  I find pounding chicken breasts and pork chops to an even flatness, about 3/4" thick, to be the key in not overcooking on the grill.

• Moderators

It's very similar to what LadyShanny is describing, but if you want step by step instructions that yield really moist chicken breasts (and you have time -- brining requires planning ahead a bit), this recipe from Mel Joulwan is good. Don't skip the Moroccan Dipping Sauce, either -- it's so good!

I personally just season my grilled chicken with salt, pepper, and EVOO, and then I like to make some salsa to put over it! You can do wonders with some tomato, mango, pineapple, onion, cilantro, lime juice, whatever! :) And then the leftovers are very versatile.

Or, if I'm in a BBQ mood, I like this rub a lot! It also pairs well with every Whole30 BBQ sauce I've tried before! And also is not too overpowering that you can't use it for multiple things. I generally will pull the leftovers and stick them in a sweet potato tossed with some BBQ sauce.

Archived