4PM hunger

Idoha

I finished my Whole30 forty five days ago. Since then I'm Whole30 with few sips of alcohol (maybe once a week watching sports or something like that). I keep losing weight, I keep feeling great, but this last week I really face 4PM hunger. It is a hunger and it is not a a crave. I would eat fish and broccoli.

My diet is pretty much the same has it was the entire time since I started Whole30. until this week I didn't feel that hunger. 

For now I meanly "suck it up" and don't eat. But I do not feel it is a long time solution.   

what should I do?        

• Moderators

Ideally you would experiment with eating more at meals until your meals get you 4-5 hours between again... that's the ideal for your digestive system to run its best. While you're figuring it out, if you're fish and broc hungry at 4 still, then eat a meal or a mini meal (at least protein and fat, ideally also veg, not fruit and nuts on their own) and then keep increasing your previous meals so that you can get past that 4pm slump till dinner. If dinner is always a long way from lunch, a mini meal daily is not out of the question... you don't need to 'suck it up'... :)

Thanks Sugercube. Nice name BTW.

I work for tree nuts and dried fruit import company so those are always around...

How about a dried pineapple (natural, not Suger added no preservatives) with few almonds? Can that be regarded as a mini meal? Because I can not know when this 4am hunger hits me so I can't have that protein ready in advance.

• Moderators

It's really not your best bet to eat fruit and nuts on their own... they're food without brakes for a lot of people and they spike your blood sugar. Can you keep some tinned fish and olives in the work fridge/your desk/your car? That's often what most of the experienced members and mods on here do,.. sometimes we're hungrier on some days and that's totally okay, so having something around that you can rely on that is not fruit and nuts is handy...

• Moderators

To be fair, I think tinned tuna is the devil, but I can do water packed sardines....altho if the smell is the problem, not sure if there are ways around that...

You could try taking a couple hardboiled eggs to work on the Monday, stick them in the fridge and they'll be good for a week.

Archived