So far everything is going great! Yesterday I learned that I just can't tolerate coffee (although I know giving up coffee is a rule of the program, I view it as a non scale victory in that I listened to my body and learned something). I've been drinking it and noticing a headache and foggy/dizzy feeling. Day 1, I had green tea and felt great all day. Day 2 I had black coffee and the feeling returned. So today is green tea as well. My cravings have not been bad. I'm just enjoying everything I can have and focusing on that! Spaghetti squash is on my list of things to get this week!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was okay - It is 7:20 and I have not yet had dinner but I have not been hungry. Dinner is ready to go though whenever I am ready

I ended up not going to a 4th celebration which I was worried about the food. I was worried about going and all the food wants on my 2nd day but it turned out that my husband wasn't feeling well and he didn't want to drive way up into the mountains.

I was BAD bad Bad today... I bought a new refridgerator. Ours is so so so small 18cu and I can't fit my food in it - when I go to the grocery store I don't buy things because I know I can't fit food in it. Prep is terrible because there is no space. Also my husband does not eat w30 so he needs room for his foods... ultimately I needed and wanted a new one so I got it - 27.6cu. It comes Thursday!!!!

NMCC - I did the squash. Last time I bought zucchini (maybe a month ago) it was really bitter so I decided to wait until I can get some fresh from the garden. Do you have tips to non bitter zucchini? 

I actually don't have any tips-- I buy mine from the green grocer and haven't noticed any bitterness, but maybe that's because I'm used to non homegrown squash? Or, also that I like bitter flavors, like chicory type greens (ie endive) and black coffee? :)  

What is basa?

It's a type of white fish that tastes light and fluffy and amazing. Basa/Swai is in the catfish family and is very versatile as far as recipes go-- steaming, sauteeing, pan frying-- all delicious! And for me, at $3.99/pound it's quite economical. Due to the origin of most of what is available to me in local markets, however, I try to limit eating it to once or twice a week, then take a break for a week or two. Kind of like avoiding tuna or other big fish more than once weekly for their mercury content, I don't want to go crazy on possible pollutants in the flesh of these scrumptious catfish as they can potentially come from not the cleanest waters in Asia.

I actually started July 1, but I've been so busy cookin that I didn't have time to post! LOL. I have been eating primarily paleo for two years, but decided it was time to do an actual Whole 30. I use the recipes from the book frequently. My other favorite is The Healthy Kitchen by Sarah Ballantyne, better known as PaleoMom. Both of these are what I call family-friendly cook books. Easy, delicious, not too time consuming.

I have done well on my first 2 1/2 days. My DH is not doing Whole 30, but it's a simple matter to give him rice or pasta when it fits the menu.BTW, we had marinara with ground beef and mushrooms yesterday for lunch. He had pasta and I had sautéed zucchini. I simply use the slicer that is on my box grater. My problem was that I was hungry long before dinner! I ate pecans --probably should have chosen a hard boiled egg,

I have some serious sleep problems, not falling asleep, but staying asleep. My doctor wants me to cut out caffeine. I am addicted to good coffee, and I readily admit it. I use high quality organic beans, freshly ground, prepared in an Aeribie espresso maker. I'd already cut myself from two morning cups (none after 11) to one. Fortunately, I Ran out of good beans on Wednesday. I haven't had a headache, but I sure have been tired!

Now for a question. Tomorrow (Monday) my DH has a doctor's appointment at 5 p.m. In a city about an hour from home. All we know is that it's in a residential neighborhood. Would you pack supper to eat in the car or a healthy snack with a late dinner at home? Any suggestions?

I live in Mexico (retired and moved here from Pennsylvania). We have easy access to tons of fresh fruits and vegetables and organic meats, chicken and eggs. I feel very lucky. And I totally relate to a fridge that is too small.

So far, so good.

I actually started July 1, but I've been so busy cookin that I didn't have time to post! LOL. I have been eating primarily paleo for two years, but decided it was time to do an actual Whole 30. I use the recipes from the book frequently. My other favorite is The Healthy Kitchen by Sarah Ballantyne, better known as PaleoMom. Both of these are what I call family-friendly cook books. Easy, delicious, not too time consuming.

I have done well on my first 2 1/2 days. My DH is not doing Whole 30, but it's a simple matter to give him rice or pasta when it fits the menu.BTW, we had marinara with ground beef and mushrooms yesterday for lunch. He had pasta and I had sautéed zucchini. I simply use the slicer that is on my box grater. My problem was that I was hungry long before dinner! I ate pecans --probably should have chosen a hard boiled egg,

I have some serious sleep problems, not falling asleep, but staying asleep. My doctor wants me to cut out caffeine. I am addicted to good coffee, and I readily admit it. I use high quality organic beans, freshly ground, prepared in an Aeribie espresso maker. I'd already cut myself from two morning cups (none after 11) to one. Fortunately, I Ran out of good beans on Wednesday. I haven't had a headache, but I sure have been tired!

Now for a question. Tomorrow (Monday) my DH has a doctor's appointment at 5 p.m. In a city about an hour from home. All we know is that it's in a residential neighborhood. Would you pack supper to eat in the car or a healthy snack with a late dinner at home? Any suggestions?

I live in Mexico (retired and moved here from Pennsylvania). We have easy access to tons of fresh fruits and vegetables and organic meats, chicken and eggs. I feel very lucky. And I totally relate to a fridge that is too small.

So far, so good.

Your coffee sounds amazing and I'm jealous! I actually enjoy mine black, but am frequently drinking just whatever is in the pot as my coworkers and I all take turns brewing it and bringing in beans to use in the big Bunn commercial coffee makers we use (we are nurses and drink A LOT of coffee!). I try to have only one cup in the morning and sometimes find I need a half cup in the afternoons, but I really try not to since I feel it when I'm trying to fall asleep at night.

As far as going to an out of town appointment, I'd pack a meal and bring it-- boiled eggs, cucumber, olives or avocado-- and make a little picnic out of it. Anything simple will do as long as it fits the template. It will leave you less likely to be noncompliant while you're out or after you get home and more likely to feel full/comfortable and on track with your w30!

Great idea to simply pack a picnic! I was making salmon for dinner tonight, so will simply bake an extra piece, add some hard boiled eggs and maybe some cukes, red pepper slices and leftover green cabbage slaw or mango salsa. I am not a fan of raw carrots and celery, but obviously there are other choices! Oh, and did I say avocado for the picnic? Another benefit of living in Mexico!

Jmb369, on 03 Jul 2016 - 5:42 PM, said:

Great idea to simply pack a picnic! I was making salmon for dinner tonight, so will simply bake an extra piece, add some hard boiled eggs and maybe some cukes, red pepper slices and leftover green cabbage slaw or mango salsa. I am not a fan of raw carrots and celery, but obviously there are other choices! Oh, and did I say avocado for the picnic? Another benefit of living in Mexico!

That sounds delicious and like a great big success-- let us know how it all goes!

I actually started July 1, but I've been so busy cookin that I didn't have time to post! LOL.

So far, so good.

Do you get fresh fruits and vegetables all year round? I live in Washington state and I hate it for the most part (it's dry and ugly and the people don't know how to clean up their town). But what I do love is the fresh fruits and vegetables and berries. Cherry trees everywhere and the pickin is for free! But we only get it in the summer time - I may move it to Mexico for all those benefits especially if it all year round.

Day 3 has been odd for me. I have not been hungry all day. I did eat a good breakfast but didn't get around to lunch until 4:30. I am still not hungry for dinner at 7 pm and probably wont get around to eating until 8:30. I usually eat dinner at 5:30 when my husband comes home from work so this is odd. But I know I need all the calories and good stuff from the food so I am eating even though I am not hungry. I want to lose weight as part of my ultimate goal of becoming my best version. On past diets not having an appetite would be great so my mind is all confused. Here's my thoughts all day -

Dieter self: "yay, we don't want to eat I hope this lasts forever"

W30 self "no, we have to eat or everything will be ruined"

Dieter self "maybe our appetite will never come back and we will lose millions of pounds"

W30 self "you idiot, if we lose millions of pounds we will never reach our ultimate goal of becoming our best version."

Dieter self "Best version, smhest version, we all know that we really just want to be skinny again."

W30 self "Whateves you're wrong and we are not listening to you." Goes and makes dinner.

Also I have been very very very angry and cranky today. So everyone stay out of my way.

• Moderators

Day 3 has been odd for me. I have not been hungry all day. I did eat a good breakfast but didn't get around to lunch until 4:30. I am still not hungry for dinner at 7 pm and probably wont get around to eating until 8:30. I usually eat dinner at 5:30 when my husband comes home from work so this is odd. But I know I need all the calories and good stuff from the food so I am eating even though I am not hungry. I want to lose weight as part of my ultimate goal of becoming my best version. On past diets not having an appetite would be great so my mind is all confused. Here's my thoughts all day -

Dieter self: "yay, we don't want to eat I hope this lasts forever"

W30 self "no, we have to eat or everything will be ruined"

Dieter self "maybe our appetite will never come back and we will lose millions of pounds"

W30 self "you idiot, if we lose millions of pounds we will never reach our ultimate goal of becoming our best version."

Dieter self "Best version, smhest version, we all know that we really just want to be skinny again."

W30 self "Whateves you're wrong and we are not listening to you." Goes and makes dinner.

Also I have been very very very angry and cranky today. So everyone stay out of my way.

Good for W30 self for winning that argument... I will admit to chuckling about the millions of pounds :)

Yes, we get fresh fruits and veggies all year round, but we can tell by the prices what is in season. Right now mangos are cheap. There must be 4-5 different varieties -- sort of like apples in the U.S. Other items like local apples and peaches have a season that lasts only about 2-3 weeks, and believe it or not, some items are imported from the US! It's kind of topsy-turvy because Drscoll and Dole have huge berry farms just a few Mike's from where we live. We get to buy the berries that are too ripe to ship to the US: raspberries and strawberries mostly,mouth also blackberries and blueberries. You get great berries in Washington state, if I remember correctly.

Start of Day 4: I woke up too early (think before 5), and hungry. So I had kitchen sink scrambled eggs with leftover chicken zucchini, sweet potatoes, and on the side, a 1/3 of an avocado. Now I am sleepy! It's hard to tell if it's Whole 30 or no coffee. No one else is awake yet, so I don't know if I am cranky or not! It may be a challenge to wait for lunch. I could wish for the experience of "no hunger!"

I need to do some food shopping this morning for Days 6-8/9. Then this afternoon we are off to the big city with our picnic supper!

P.S. Where do I upload a picture?

If you want to upload a picture in your post you can click on the 11th icon on the 2nd row.

If you want to upload a profile picture, scroll to the top and next to your name (jmb369) in the black bar there is a white triangle to click on, select "my profile" from that page select "Edit my profile" on the right in a black box. Then under photo you can upload an image.

Yes the berries are amazing in WA too I have had raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and just today huckleberries all from their own bushes from friends and neighbors. I prefer east coast strawberries because they are bigger.

Enjoy your picnic.

Day 4 has been good actually. 

I have had breakfast lunch and dinner and have not been craving things or very hungry. Much less cranky than yesterday but my patience is still very thin. Tired too.

My mayo has reverted back to liquid... what? I make it in a vitamix so it doesn't blend as long or else it cooks. I ordered an immersion blender from amazon. My husband asked before I started how much this "lifestyle" was going to set us back other than just food. I told him not much just a garlic press and they aren't that expensive. I have since bought a refrigerator and now an immersion blender, at least my purchases are getting cheaper. Plus in the long run I will be healthier and so will our son which will save us money. He is rolling his eyes and clinging to his cash.

Funny story. I stopped by a friends house earlier today and she was giving her girls some personal bags of chips. She asked if my son wanted some chips and I said "No, we just found out he has alopecia - ya know hair loss on top of his head here - and we are trying a different diet for him." (not that we let a one year old eat chips in the first place) and she says, "Oh what about cheese puffs they are gluten free." ... oh dear.  :blink:

pkoyster, on 03 Jul 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

Do you get fresh fruits and vegetables all year round? I live in Washington state and I hate it for the most part (it's dry and ugly and the people don't know how to clean up their town). But what I do love is the fresh fruits and vegetables and berries. Cherry trees everywhere and the pickin is for free! But we only get it in the summer time - I may move it to Mexico for all those benefits especially if it all year round.

pkoyster, on 03 Jul 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

Yes, we get fresh fruits and veggies all year round, but we can tell by the prices what is in season. Right now mangos are cheap. There must be 4-5 different varieties -- sort of like apples in the U.S. Other items like local apples and peaches have a season that lasts only about 2-3 weeks, and believe it or not, some items are imported from the US! It's kind of topsy-turvy because Drscoll and Dole have huge berry farms just a few Mike's from where we live. We get to buy the berries that are too ripe to ship to the US: raspberries and strawberries mostly,mouth also blackberries and blueberries. You get great berries in Washington state, if I remember correctly.

Start of Day 4: I woke up too early (think before 5), and hungry. So I had kitchen sink scrambled eggs with leftover chicken zucchini, sweet potatoes, and on the side, a 1/3 of an avocado. Now I am sleepy! It's hard to tell if it's Whole 30 or no coffee. No one else is awake yet, so I don't know if I am cranky or not! It may be a challenge to wait for lunch. I could wish for the experience of "no hunger!"

I need to do some food shopping this morning for Days 6-8/9. Then this afternoon we are off to the big city with our picnic supper!

I'm jealous of all the fresh fruits and the picking you get to do from local friends and neighbors! All I've got here is the grocery store and farmers' markets if I want something organic or slightly more local. My father-in-law has grape vines, some apple and peach trees, and a black walnut tree, but he lives five hours away in the Finger Lakes region of New York so we can't get up there so often... and often we have our own small backyard garden, but just couldn't get it all together this year to get one planted. Oh well, there's always next year!

Wow. Today was a doozy. I'm not sure if it's because of my stage in whole 30, or because of other life stuff going on, or a combination of all of it, but I totally lost it after work today. I stopped by the cemetery to visit my mom's gravesite (which I often do after work on my way home), and just couldn't stop the tears from flowing... cried all the way home and even some when I got home. I almost vomited from all of the mucus dripping down the back of my throat it was so much. I know she only died under four months ago, and I'm incredibly sad every day, but this much crying hasn't happened in weeks.

Sigh. I hope my mood is a bit more even soon...

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. My mother is my best friend and I am lucky enough that she even lives with me. I have a feeling that when my mom dies I will be crying until I throw up for months too. 

Can you believe it is the end of Day 6! 

All is well over here. My husband did bring me a personal bag of chips and said, "They're healthy." I thanked him and saved them for "later." 

We had great burgers out on the charcoal grill tonight (I put mine at the bottom of a salad bowl and piled on the lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, and a little mustard. Yum yum yum. Is there anything better than grilled food? I am sure there is but not to my belly right now there isn't.

I am still struggling with low appetite. I have a huge breakfast - which I am very hungry for. Lunch is usually really late in the day and not big at all. Dinner I am not hungry for but I eat a decent amount because we are all at the table. I don't even really think about food. I am not sure if I am being blessed or if I am doing something wrong. Has anyone else had the low appetite thing?

I do take lots of vitamins: multivitamin, liquid CoQ10, mg, fish oils, D3, and Bs. Could some of this be causing problems? It did not cause this problem while high on sugar...

I'm on the sixth day of my first Whole 30. So far I haven't had any cravings, but I have felt a bit tired and cranky. Already getting bored with salads at lunch. Been fighting ants every night in the kitchen so it's been tough to cook.

It is day seven and I am feeling great! I have been having terrible cravings, but I know they will pass. My husband and his family are doing this with me. They have become bored so I am working to keep them motivated, which in turn is motivating me as well! Also, I haven't reached the end of my list of meals I want to try so I'm assuming that is helping as well! Tonight's meal is chipotle shredded pork in lettuce bowls with avocado slices and avocado aoli. Also topped with homemade Pico.

I'm on the sixth day of my first Whole 30. So far I haven't had any cravings, but I have felt a bit tired and cranky. Already getting bored with salads at lunch. Been fighting ants every night in the kitchen so it's been tough to cook.

Ants are the hardest to get rid of, good luck.

I don't know if you were looking for some lunch thoughts - if so here are my thoughts, if not stop reading :)

I like to mix up my salads: house salads sometimes with chicken and apple, hamburger salad with mustard, taco salad with salsa, Greek salad, just tomato cucumber onion salad, tuna salad (not the lettuce kind the mayo kind) on celery. If you are totally done with salad I like to throw a sweet potato in the oven after breakfast so it is ready when I get home from my morning outings. I also like fish for lunch because my husband hates it and we can't have it for dinner. I also keep frozen hamburger patties around for a quick and easy lunch. Sometimes when I am really done with everything I eat an apple with almond butter.

Good luck. 

It is day seven and I am feeling great! I have been having terrible cravings, but I know they will pass. My husband and his family are doing this with me. They have become bored so I am working to keep them motivated, which in turn is motivating me as well! Also, I haven't reached the end of my list of meals I want to try so I'm assuming that is helping as well! Tonight's meal is chipotle shredded pork in lettuce bowls with avocado slices and avocado aoli. Also topped with homemade Pico.S

Sounds yummy - you guys are eating way more creatively than my family. 

Day seven and I am feeling great too! I am not as stressed as I used to be - I wonder if my food choices are the reason why. 

I am glad I found this thread!  I started my first Whole 30 on July 1, too.  It has gone much better than I expected.  I have felt satisfied with all my meals, and not hungry.  No cravings, either (yet).  I feel great, my skin is clear, my mind is clear and I am confident that I can actually do this, long-term.  I put on pants this morning that were tight about a month ago, and fit nicely today.  

Here's my plan for the day:

B:  2 HB eggs, 2 homemade sausage patties, apple with almond butter

L: grilled chicken salad with oil & vinegar

D: ground turkey tacos wrapped in butter lettuce; Mexican cauliflower "rice"

I also started my first 30 on July 1st.  Everything has been going pretty good, I was a little tired and fighting cravings over the holiday weekend.  But yesterday (day 6) I crashed;  all day I had to force myself to eat, I had no desire to eat any protein or veggies.  When I got home from work I noticed that I was really fatigued and my muscles were sore.  I tried to do a few things around the house, but I really felt run down.  I went to bed and slept 12 hours!  When I woke up this morning everything was fine.  I keep glancing at the timeline wondering, when am I gonna feel great?  Keep up the good work everyone!

Archived