I am glad I found this thread!  I started my first Whole 30 on July 1, too.  It has gone much better than I expected.  I have felt satisfied with all my meals, and not hungry.  No cravings, either (yet).  I feel great, my skin is clear, my mind is clear and I am confident that I can actually do this, long-term.  I put on pants this morning that were tight about a month ago, and fit nicely today.  

Here's my plan for the day:

B:  2 HB eggs, 2 homemade sausage patties, apple with almond butter

L: grilled chicken salad with oil & vinegar

D: ground turkey tacos wrapped in butter lettuce; Mexican cauliflower "rice"

My skin as really cleared up too, no blemishes or redness. I actually went to the store this morning without makeup.

I am so excited to hear your pants story!!! I have not tried on a smaller pair yet as when I started this I just about needed to move up a size. I don't feel like I need to move up a size anymore.

Unlike you, my first go around was not so great. But this time I also feel like this is something I can keep up for the long haul.

My FAVORITE part of your post. The answer to my thoughts and concerns. Apple with almond butter. I have been eating this (2 times so far) and I love it! But I worried that I was not supposed to have it. I knew that we could eat fruit and almonds but I didn't know if we were allowed this combination. I do not feel bloated or cranky after I eat it but reading your post helped me have less guilt about my apples and almond butter.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also started my first 30 on July 1st.  Everything has been going pretty good, I was a little tired and fighting cravings over the holiday weekend.  But yesterday (day 6) I crashed;  all day I had to force myself to eat, I had no desire to eat any protein or veggies.  When I got home from work I noticed that I was really fatigued and my muscles were sore.  I tried to do a few things around the house, but I really felt run down.  I went to bed and slept 12 hours!  When I woke up this morning everything was fine.  I keep glancing at the timeline wondering, when am I gonna feel great?  Keep up the good work everyone!

I want to sleep 12 hours! So jealous. I never felt great on my first whole30 (I fell off the wagon around day 17). But I am feeling great on this try (my third but does 2 days count as a 2nd try?). Good luck.

pkoyster, on 07 Jul 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

I miss you around the forum - how is the mood? I hope things have gotten better. Update us.

Thanks, girl. I have been quite sad and crying a lot... little things keep setting me off. Yesterday some lady came to the door from the board of elections looking for my mom and that tipped me over the edge as well. So my emotions have led me to struggle a bit in the last week. That combined with wanting to eat everything in the house, which I've thankfully not done because I've stuck to only compliant foods... but I certainly have not eaten to template all three meals for the last couple days, and I've been snacking a lot instead of eating meals. I'm just going to keep trying every day to stick to the template and hope it passes soon. It's also been raining very heavily here which threw off my exercise plan-- was supposed to be out kayaking but glad we called it off because we would have been out during terrible rains, thunder, and lightning. Couldn't even walk outside though and didn't feel much like doing anything inside the house-- my step counter shows just how terrible my exercise efforts have been!

I'm going to try again to keep to template today. Here's my plan so far:

M1: sautéed mushrooms and steamed string beans, small koimo potato, three fried eggs in coconut oil, green olives.

M2: tuna (in oil, undrained) and boiled chopped egg salad with homemade mayonnaise, chopped onion and celery, in green pepper boats.

M3: shrimp sautéed in olive oil with lots of garlic and parsley and some crushed red pepper, served over poached endives and homemade chunky tomato sauce.

I also have to figure out what I'm bringing to work (all three meals for the next three days, so I have to make and package nine meals in advance as I'm usually too tired to prepare too much when I get home from my 12+ hour shifts at night). Here's my plan so far, which will be the same for all three days:

M1: egg salad (three eggs per serving) with homemade mayonnaise and sautéed Brussels sprouts and cabbage with onions and apples

M2: leftover shrimp sautéed in olive oil with lots of garlic and parsley and some crushed red pepper, served over poached endives and homemade chunky tomato sauce

M3: grilled onions, peppers and pineapples with grilled salmon, drizzled with a mango coconut curry sauce

I've already started prepping today with the sautéed Brussels sprouts/cabbage/onions/apples, the shrimp is defrosting, the endives are already done, and I have the stuff ready for the chunky sauce to get started.

Wishing myself and everyone luck and good efforts at sticking with this and staying to plan over the coming days.

Pkoyster - This is my very first Whole 30, so definitely don't use what I say as gospel.  I'm pretty sure both apple and almond butter are ok, though, unless it becomes a FWB.  

So apple with almond butter are ok, as they are both compliant foods (as long as the almond butter meets compliant ingredients), but the w30 reading materials state that we shouldn't eat fruits if they push veggies off of our plate. So if combining them with a meal where we also eat to template with the protein, veggie and fat, then we definitely can include apple and almond butter. But if they replace the veg, then it's not encouraged.

Also, snacks are discouraged, as are desserts. So if you're starving and desperate, it's an OK choice because it sort of meets the mini-meal suggestion of two food groups, but I've seen a lot of moderators comment that we shouldn't use nuts more than once every other day, so if it's a daily thing we may be doing ourselves a disservice.

So apple with almond butter are ok, as they are both compliant foods (as long as the almond butter meets compliant ingredients), but the w30 reading materials state that we shouldn't eat fruits if they push veggies off of our plate. So if combining them with a meal where we also eat to template with the protein, veggie and fat, then we definitely can include apple and almond butter. But if they replace the veg, then it's not encouraged.

Also, snacks are discouraged, as are desserts. So if you're starving and desperate, it's an OK choice because it sort of meets the mini-meal suggestion of two food groups, but I've seen a lot of moderators comment that we shouldn't use nuts more than once every other day, so if it's a daily thing we may be doing ourselves a disservice.

This is why I like you around. This is why I hate you around.

No more apple and almond butter by itself for me... 

Thanks, girl. I have been quite sad and crying a lot... little things keep setting me off. Yesterday some lady came to the door from the board of elections looking for my mom and that tipped me over the edge as well. So my emotions have led me to struggle a bit in the last week. That combined with wanting to eat everything in the house, which I've thankfully not done because I've stuck to only compliant foods... but I certainly have not eaten to template all three meals for the last couple days, and I've been snacking a lot instead of eating meals. I'm just going to keep trying every day to stick to the template and hope it passes soon. It's also been raining very heavily here which threw off my exercise plan-- was supposed to be out kayaking but glad we called it off because we would have been out during terrible rains, thunder, and lightning. Couldn't even walk outside though and didn't feel much like doing anything inside the house-- my step counter shows just how terrible my exercise efforts have been!

I'm going to try again to keep to template today. Here's my plan so far:

M1: sautéed mushrooms and steamed string beans, small koimo potato, three fried eggs in coconut oil, green olives.

M2: tuna (in oil, undrained) and boiled chopped egg salad with homemade mayonnaise, chopped onion and celery, in green pepper boats.

M3: shrimp sautéed in olive oil with lots of garlic and parsley and some crushed red pepper, served over poached endives and homemade chunky tomato sauce.

I also have to figure out what I'm bringing to work (all three meals for the next three days, so I have to make and package nine meals in advance as I'm usually too tired to prepare too much when I get home from my 12+ hour shifts at night). Here's my plan so far, which will be the same for all three days:

M1: egg salad (three eggs per serving) with homemade mayonnaise and sautéed Brussels sprouts and cabbage with onions and apples

M2: leftover shrimp sautéed in olive oil with lots of garlic and parsley and some crushed red pepper, served over poached endives and homemade chunky tomato sauce

M3: grilled onions, peppers and pineapples with grilled salmon, drizzled with a mango coconut curry sauce

I've already started prepping today with the sautéed Brussels sprouts/cabbage/onions/apples, the shrimp is defrosting, the endives are already done, and I have the stuff ready for the chunky sauce to get started.

Wishing myself and everyone luck and good efforts at sticking with this and staying to plan over the coming days.

Your meals always sound great. I am sorry that your emotions are all over the place but I am glad to hear you didn't fall off the wagon - I was worried about you! As silly as it sounds... I even prayed that you would be okay with your W30... don't think I was praying for YOU... I was praying for you so that I MYSELF and ME would have your support here. :) Jk ... kinda

Back to the real question. TUNA you said you get the in oil kind. That is the kind I like but I can't find any using compliant oil. What brand do you use, where do you get it?

Your meals always sound great. I am sorry that your emotions are all over the place but I am glad to hear you didn't fall off the wagon - I was worried about you! As silly as it sounds... I even prayed that you would be okay with your W30... don't think I was praying for YOU... I was praying for you so that I MYSELF and ME would have your support here. :) Jk ... kinda

Back to the real question. TUNA you said you get the in oil kind. That is the kind I like but I can't find any using compliant oil. What brand do you use, where do you get it?

Thank you for the support, and the prayers (well, the sort of prayes, at least, lol). Being on this forum has really kept me motivated when I'm wallowing in grief and all I want to do is eat ice cream and take a nap.

So, back to the main question, the tuna-- I buy my tinned tuna wherever I can find it. I've purchased chunk light albacore in 100% olive oil from Starkist Selects brand from Walmart (and have seen it at Lin's in Utah as well). Chunk light isn't my favorite though, but when mixed with delicious homemade mayo, chopped red onion, celery and apple, it's just delicious. Usually I buy one or another of the several compliant types found at Trader Joes. They have tinned tuna without soy in solid white, chunk light, skipjack, albacore, and even yellowfin I think, in oil, in water, with and without salt added. I've stuck with the solid white albacore in 100% olive oil so far and have enjoyed it.

Do you have a Trader Joes near you?

So I didn't get my third meal prepared yesterday but will hopefully get it done tonight before it gets too late... otherwise I'll just have fried eggs with the endives I'd already prepared. I don't want the salmon to go bad though, and it's already been defrosted, but I'd also really like to have a chance to go out walking in my neighborhood tonight and if I'm spending too much time cooking I'll miss my window of opportunity. Last night after it rained I went out about 10:30pm. It was cool and breezy, and with a very fine mist of rain was amazingly refreshing. But, it was also almost 11pm, so I only spent about 15 minutes walking... not enough for me!

Breakfast this morning was just eh-- I had my delicious egg salad with homemade mayo (that part was great), but the cabbage/Brussels/apples tasted bitter to me and after awhile I couldn't force any more of it down, so I tossed it. Now my belly kind of aches and I wonder if it was too much of a cruciferous punch for me. I've never had a problem with cruciferous veggies in the past but you never know. I wonder what will happen as I try to eat that very same meal for the next two days as well-- I might have to bring along an alternative veggie. All I really have is carrots and green peppers in the house, which wouldn't be bad to have with the egg salad. I'd also made a smoothie with some fruits that were going to go bad if I didn't use them, so I'm sipping on that along with my meals and my water today. I wish I'd had some spinach and kale to throw into the mix but I was out-- instead it's mango, peach, apple, carrot and a can of coconut milk with water. Very sweet for my tastes, and I'm being mindful not to just drink too much of it alone and at any one time for the natural sugar rush that I'd like to avoid (mostly so I don't get the predictable crash that I've had from simple carbs in the past) this afternoon at work. We'll see how it goes.

How is everyone's weekend going so far?

SO I have lurked in the background, on this my second whole 30, also started july 1, and first want to say how much I have appreciated the posts and information. Just read from the book about day 10-11 the hardest days...um....yup! For me the words about perceived deprivation for 20 days hit home. And being easier to self sabotage , than possibly failing....I have a history of always putting everyone elses needs (mostly what I think they need-..) ahead of my own. At age60 I am in recovery from that! Today I am going to meet a friend for coffee, and finally found the courage to post here....2 things that support only me! Happy sunday to you all.....kathy

Thank you for the support, and the prayers (well, the sort of prayes, at least, lol). Being on this forum has really kept me motivated when I'm wallowing in grief and all I want to do is eat ice cream and take a nap.

So, back to the main question, the tuna-- I buy my tinned tuna wherever I can find it. I've purchased chunk light albacore in 100% olive oil from Starkist Selects brand from Walmart (and have seen it at Lin's in Utah as well). Chunk light isn't my favorite though, but when mixed with delicious homemade mayo, chopped red onion, celery and apple, it's just delicious. Usually I buy one or another of the several compliant types found at Trader Joes. They have tinned tuna without soy in solid white, chunk light, skipjack, albacore, and even yellowfin I think, in oil, in water, with and without salt added. I've stuck with the solid white albacore in 100% olive oil so far and have enjoyed it.

Do you have a Trader Joes near you?

I FOUND IT!!! Thank you, my eyes must not have been working when I was looking before. 

I am glad you are resisting the ice cream and nap. I hope things get better for ya soon.

SO I have lurked in the background, on this my second whole 30, also started july 1, and first want to say how much I have appreciated the posts and information. Just read from the book about day 10-11 the hardest days...um....yup! For me the words about perceived deprivation for 20 days hit home. And being easier to self sabotage , than possibly failing....I have a history of always putting everyone elses needs (mostly what I think they need-..) ahead of my own. At age60 I am in recovery from that! Today I am going to meet a friend for coffee, and finally found the courage to post here....2 things that support only me! Happy sunday to you all.....kathy

Welcome! I was glad to hear that 10 and 11 are the hardest. For me it started last night. My husband and I went to the rodeo and all the smells of all the food was soooo tempting. I have not had really any cravings up to this point so I was a bit surprised by it. It was nice to hear that I am right on schedule for things to be getting rough. 

As I previously mentioned I went to the rodeo last night and encountered a lot of food smells that just made my mouth water. I was bolstered by the fact that I was making ribs the next day. 

Last week the Whole30 home page had some 4th of July recipes on it. I did not make them then but I am making them today. Coleslaw and ribs - yum yum yum. My mother lives with my family and she won a grill last week from a grocery store. She put her name in the drawing box and she won! So I bought the ribs to celebrate.

Upcoming Challenges this Week

We are feeding the missionaries on Wednesday night ... I was thinking of doing a shepherd's pie but I am not too wild about that idea.

Friday night there is an ice cream social and out door movie that my family wants to go too... any suggests on how I can survive that?

NSV

Since Tuesday I have been super happy.

I bought an immersion blender and my mayo has turned out 100% of the time now (after watching youtube videos). 

I made a personal record twice at the gym this week.

My skin has cleared up and my nails are stronger

Someone at church said that I looked "so lean"!!

Energy to get through the whole day without needing a nap.

What are your guy's non-scale victories this week? Can't wait to hear them. Can't wait to see what this week has in store for us.

Day 11 of my w30, and day three out of three in a row of work as well as of my pre-made meals and man and I ready for a change! I'm only off tomorrow, then back on to work Wednesday, but then after that I'm off for six or seven days (hooray!). Aside from attending a wake and a funeral, my time off plans include relaxing, cooking/food prep, and going away for the weekend to camp, hike and kayak with my best girlfriend. I have to reserve a campsite and get a propane stove as I'm not sure whether the forest fire advisories will allow for cooking fires and I don't want to be caught without a way to keep up with my w30 while I'm gone.

Here's what I'm planning on making to have in the house as staples for the coming several days:

-two more batches of mayonnaise

-garlic lime aioli to dip with

-baked yukon gold and redskin potatoes

-baked sweet and koimo potatoes

-egg salad with homemade mayo

Here's what I'm thinking of making in advance to take along for day hikes while I'm camping, and storing in a cooler with ice in the trunk of the car:

-hard boiled eggs

-fried potato/veggie patties (shredded potato, onion, carrot and zucchini with egg, salt/pepper, and maybe some arrowroot to bind it?)

-roasted tomatoes and mushrooms

-truffle oil mashed potatoes with ghee

Here's what I'm thinking of bringing along to prepare for breakfasts and dinners at the campsite:

-eggs for scrambling with fresh spinach, onions, tomatoes, green peppers (all pre-chopped for ease of quick breakfast prep)

-canned fire roasted crushed tomatoes and jarred grilled marinated artichoke hearts to use with chopped onion/pepper/garlic/parsley/basil/oregano for sauce

-zucchini noodles

-garlic sauteed shrimp

-seasoned tilapia steamed over sauteed onions with garlic, capers, parsley and fresh lemon juice

Sounds great to me, and makes me happy that this isn't a backcountry camping trip. I don't know how, as someone who doesn't eat chicken or meat, I'd get along on a camping trip during a w30 carrying everything in on my back!

As I previously mentioned I went to the rodeo last night and encountered a lot of food smells that just made my mouth water. I was bolstered by the fact that I was making ribs the next day. 

Last week the Whole30 home page had some 4th of July recipes on it. I did not make them then but I am making them today. Coleslaw and ribs - yum yum yum. My mother lives with my family and she won a grill last week from a grocery store. She put her name in the drawing box and she won! So I bought the ribs to celebrate.

Upcoming Challenges this Week

We are feeding the missionaries on Wednesday night ... I was thinking of doing a shepherd's pie but I am not too wild about that idea.

Friday night there is an ice cream social and out door movie that my family wants to go too... any suggests on how I can survive that?

NSV

Since Tuesday I have been super happy.

I bought an immersion blender and my mayo has turned out 100% of the time now (after watching youtube videos). 

I made a personal record twice at the gym this week.

My skin has cleared up and my nails are stronger

Someone at church said that I looked "so lean"!!

Energy to get through the whole day without needing a nap.

What are your guy's non-scale victories this week? Can't wait to hear them. Can't wait to see what this week has in store for us.

These are great NSVs. Don't you just love making your own mayo?? Occasionally mine still breaks. I just use that creatively as a marinade and/or poaching liquid so I don't waste food and money.

For feeding the missionaries, can you roast a whole chicken (then use the bones later for bone broth as so many on these forums make), and serve it with a green salad, baked potatoes and roast veggies? It will have a homecooked meal vibe and will be totally w30 compliant, so if there happen to be any leftovers, you'll score!

For Friday, eat a very large and satisfying meal before you leave, and bring along a jug of water or herbal tea, and some sweet bell peppers and carrots to crunch on. That way you won't be hungry during the ice cream social, and if anyone is munching during the movie, you'll have something compliant to bring along so you won't feel left out.

AS for NSVs, nothing much new comes to mind except that I happened to look at my calves last night and notice they looked a little smaller (a good thing) and that my eyes looked a little bigger (also a good thing-- means that my bags and puffy cheeks are subsiding a little!). I still haven't figured out what tiger blood feels like, and I'm cranky for sweets every single day, since treats are right in front of my face at work all the time (yesterday was a big chocolate sampler box, today is chocolate strawberry cake, Saturday was doughnuts. Sigh.), but I've been super compliant, so I'm proud of that.

These are great NSVs. Don't you just love making your own mayo?? Occasionally mine still breaks. I just use that creatively as a marinade and/or poaching liquid so I don't waste food and money.

For feeding the missionaries, can you roast a whole chicken (then use the bones later for bone broth as so many on these forums make), and serve it with a green salad, baked potatoes and roast veggies? It will have a homecooked meal vibe and will be totally w30 compliant, so if there happen to be any leftovers, you'll score!

For Friday, eat a very large and satisfying meal before you leave, and bring along a jug of water or herbal tea, and some sweet bell peppers and carrots to crunch on. That way you won't be hungry during the ice cream social, and if anyone is munching during the movie, you'll have something compliant to bring along so you won't feel left out.

AS for NSVs, nothing much new comes to mind except that I happened to look at my calves last night and notice they looked a little smaller (a good thing) and that my eyes looked a little bigger (also a good thing-- means that my bags and puffy cheeks are subsiding a little!). I still haven't figured out what tiger blood feels like, and I'm cranky for sweets every single day, since treats are right in front of my face at work all the time (yesterday was a big chocolate sampler box, today is chocolate strawberry cake, Saturday was doughnuts. Sigh.), but I've been super compliant, so I'm proud of that.

I love you idea for feeding the missionaries!!! I will do it. You are so smart and helpful. I will take your advice for the icecream social too but I am still nervous about it.

I hated working in an environment fraught with treats all the time. I am proud of you. I think not giving in when you normally would is a big NSV. 

Day 11 has been a rough one for me. I feel like I am back at Day 4. I am super cranky and tired. On top of that I am bloated like crazy. I think I remember reading that bloat happens around now but it is disconcerting.

I also have no clue what Tiger Blood feels like. I did have more energy last week but that was sucked out of me today :(

I am looking forward to the lack of bloat and the energy again.

I can relate to the crankies... However know from experience that this too shall pass! Bloating was something that plagued me for years, while I ate super healthy foood....onions,cabbage,brocolli,cauliflower etc ..Luckily Worked for 3 years at a naturopaths office, and learned about those FODMAPS...sure enough...once I elimated them....and gave my gut some time to heal, felt so much better. Now I can sneak a bit in....always cooked...never raw...and be okay. Strongly suggest you look it up...

My NSV was last night cooking my roast chicken dinner (for my husband not missionaries ) wanted to make gravy. Had no compliant thickener, but found rice flour...almost caved ..its just a tsp...but did not. I know I dont want to cheat..because really Am cheating me...au jus was just as yummy. Off to make more mayo!

I'm glad everybody is still going strong!  Yesterday was tough for me.  On Sunday I made chicken breasts in the crockpot with compliant buffalo sauce and chicken stock, then shredded to use for salads.  For some reason it was so unappetizing to me yesterday.  I couldn't stomach eating my salad with the chicken, so I picked at it a bit and then had a piece of asparagus bacon quiche that was supposed to be for today's breakfast.  

I ended up being starving in the afternoon.  I had to stop by the store to get a spaghetti squash for dinner and bought cashews and dried apple slices, which I snacked on in the car on the way home.  It was delicious and curbed my hunger while I prepped dinner, but not something I will get used to doing in the future.

Today has gone much better!  

I think I need to spice things up a bit-- I'm getting a little bored. Even though I use different veggies and proteins, and cook with different methods, and the meals aren't in any way alike, I'm getting sick of eating them even before my meal time comes around.

Today for breakfast I had egg salad with homemade mayo, roast button and portobello mushrooms, part of an English cucumber, and some green pimento olives. I just found myself cringing at the cucumber and then chewing and chewing and chewing the same mushroom over and over and over in my mouth. LOL

Maybe I'm just tired. Still no sign of the ellusive tiger. Though I did only have about 4 hours of sleep last night (not unusual for a work day for me-- I'm working on trying to get to bed earlier). When I woke up from my short sleep I found out that there were a bunch of break-ins into many of the cars in our neighborhood, including my husband's. Nothing seemed to have been taken, but his glove box was rifled through. Scary, but reminds me that our little piece of suburbia isn't isolated, and that we're surrounded by urban and suburban areas with lots and lots of people living and working nearby.

Anyway, today is my last shift at work before a 7 day break. I'm going to be attending a wake and funeral, and then go camping, which I'm very excited about. So some good things and some unpleasant things coming up... as I'm only 13 days in with the greater part of the month ahead of me, I really hope I can keep the motivation up to continue. I felt much differently on my last whole 30-- a sense of peace, my body felt cleaner somehow, and the weight loss kept me feeling invigorated to continue. This time around I just feel tired and dumpy though I'm following the same template, drinking the same amount of water as last time (not enough, admittedly), salting my foods, etc. I'm just going to try to keep plugging along...

I hope your camping weekend went well. I did not do so well this weekend :( I accidentally had dried cranberries that were full of some kind of sugary syrup. Nooooooooooooo! And that sent me over the edge. So I am out. But I am back on track today and ready to feel good again. A NSV is that I fell off the wagon (tacos) but I did not crash and burn (sweets). I am happy that I am learning to fall off the wagon and get back on so quickly. That being said... another failed Whole30 over here. Maybe I can find some people starting today.

pkoyster, on 17 Jul 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

I hope your camping weekend went well. I did not do so well this weekend :( I accidentally had dried cranberries that were full of some kind of sugary syrup. Nooooooooooooo! And that sent me over the edge. So I am out. But I am back on track today and ready to feel good again. A NSV is that I fell off the wagon (tacos) but I did not crash and burn (sweets). I am happy that I am learning to fall off the wagon and get back on so quickly. That being said... another failed Whole30 over here. Maybe I can find some people starting today.

Thank you! My camping actually went really well. It was brief but terrific. I did the shopping and meal-planning so I stayed totally w30 compliant the whole time (as did my friend). It was a great time taking some walks, sitting by the campfire, hiking to a waterfall then going swimming in the pool underneath, going kayaking in the Hudson River, picnicking on small stone beaches overlooking the river with views of several historic mansions on the other shore-- just wonderful!

We ate the following:

Friday late lunch/early dinner: a sauce of onions, garlic, grilled marinated artichoke hearts, diced fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles, zucchinis, tomatoes, served over steamed Brussels sprouts and sautéed fish (my friend had flounder, I had tilapia), I had black olives on the side.

Saturday breakfast: home fried potatoes with onion, garlic, green pepper, served with scrambled eggs with spinach, tomatoes, onions, avocado on the side.

Saturday lunch: boiled eggs with cucumber and carrot sticks, black olives, raw mixed nuts, dried mango.

Saturday dinner: leftovers of Friday night dinner, plus avocado.

Sunday breakfast: home fried potatoes with onion, green pepper, garlic, eggs served over-easy, avocado.

Sunday lunch: same as Saturday lunch.

Then before we knew it we were home!

Unfortunately when we got home, I ate some sunflower seeds that I had leftover from my Utah hiking trip last month and didn't read the package because I forgot I wasn't on w30 at that point in the month, so when I was done, I realized that they were filled with all kinds of bad stuff-- both MSG and sugar (a form of maltodextrin deriving from corn, of all placed). I didn't eat a lot, and I was on day 18 at the time. I know from my reintroductions last month that I really didn't have an issue with sugar or corn, aside from possibly awakening the sugar dragon which honestly I never really slayed this month, so I'm not starting over. I don't believe I had MSG in my last reintroduction, but I so far don't notice any ill effects, so I'm moving ahead.

I honestly am not really that excited about this w30 though I know I'm eating really well. My body doesn't feel any amazing effects, so all the benefits (aside from those that I don't detect) are in my mind, that is, knowing that I'm doing better for myself through my dietary changes. I'm going to finish out the month-- it's only 11 more days from today, and originally I was thinking I'd do a slow-roll type reintroduction but I'm not so sure I'll do that anymore. The quick one might be enough for me. I'm really just not so into it this time around... which makes me sad, but glad that I can identify it. And also glad that I'm able to have the willpower to stick with it knowing it's not really something I have a big passion for at this moment in time. Both NSVs I guess?

I've been missing from the forum since week 1, but here I am on Day 20. No question that I feel better than when I started, but if this is Tiger Blood stage, I must be a tiger cub! I have stuck to this because I really want to learn what my food sensitivities are. It's possible I may need to eliminate FODMAPS, but if that's the answer, it's for another time. I went through most of the stages right on schedule, plus or minus a day. My only brush with failure came last week in a restaurant that we know well. I skipped the salmon because I'd had salmon cakes for lunch, and I ordered filet mignon. They were out if it, so I ordered two burgers, plain, and a side of steamed veggies. I took one bite of the burger, and it was well-seasoned but tasted like Mom's meat loaf! You know what that means -- bread! I was too hungry to eat nothing, so my DH offered to give me his beef fajitas, and he ate the "burgers." Bless him! I didn't ask the waiter what was in the fajita sauce, but I ate no beans or rice or tortillas, only guacamole!

The main thing I have noticed is that I am hardly ever hungry between meals, not even for nuts. I have definitely had to eat larger portions of protein and vegetables, and often include sweet potato, white potato or plantain with my meals. I am sleeping better and longer. What I miss most are coffee and dairy, especially cheese and yogurt. I have not been on a scale, but I feel lighter if that makes sense.

My biggest challenge is resenting the food prep time. I love to cook and to try new recipes, but this is a bit over the top! I have cut back on my ?Internet time and my yoga classes. My goal for the second half of the month is to return to my daily exercise routines and pick up the pace on answering emails! I do Habitica and that keeps me going with my daily reading and art journaling.

I'd hoped for more dramatic changes, but perhaps I need to be more patient. I will do the slow reintroduction, but I am guessing I will have to do a second Whole 30 in September or October. Maybe I will be able to offer support to other newbies.

For those of you looking at doing this, or something similar, as a more or less permanent way of life, I recommend the Whole 30 book and also Healthy Kitchen by Sarah Ballantyne. Most of her recipes are compliant, except for the section on treats.

Great job to all of you!!  I started one July1 with my second whole30 and my husbands first one.  So far so good--we got accused of being cover models for fitness magazine last night by our friends--suffice it to say they are noticing a difference. lol.  But I did not notice this kind of difference the first time when I did it about 3 months ago. I sort-of stayed on it until now-cheating at times on the weekends-usually with sugar.  But it's definitely a life changer and I will be somewhat whole30 forever I believe!  (I was already dairy free before this)   Whole30 is SOOOOO much easier for me the second time around.  I LOVE the way I'm looking now--it is definitely not easy-but so worth it.  Feeling pretty darn good-good energy.  I did not have the fatigue and grouchies NEARLY as bad as I did last time. PG for that!  Good luck to all still going with the July 1 start.  7 Days to go!!

Archived