The so-I-can't-"forget" reintroduction log

TheLadyD

Wine:

Tasted seriously alcoholic. My first glass of red wine in 30+ days made my stomach kind of upset / tense. A glass of champagne a week later went down a bit easier. It will be worth doing separate reintroductions of red and white at a later date. (My red reintroduction got a little messed up because I also had a "worth it" dessert the next evening and I couldn't tease apart some of the reactions.)

Soy:

So. Not. Worth. It. I've had tofu, miso, edamame and soy sauce today and I never want to look at soy again. It sits in my stomach like a rock. I'm depressed and sad. My brain is totally foggy. And now I have to let it work its way through my system. Blech. Miso is the only thing I would miss, so I will test miso on its own without eating the tofu at a later date. Not today. Probably not soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Beans:

Indeed, the musical fruit. I actually felt great the day I ate beans, so I think the starchy energy is giving me something I need. However, I will need to cook them as science instructs to improve digestibility. I could probably also do with a source of fresh dried beans. The beans can't replace protein for me, though.

• Moderators

Beans:

Indeed, the musical fruit. I actually felt great the day I ate beans, so I think the starchy energy is giving me something I need. However, I will need to cook them as science instructs to improve digestibility. I could probably also do with a source of fresh dried beans. The beans can't replace protein for me, though.

Glancing at a few days of your old W30 log, you didn't have a lot of starchy vegetables then -- you might try upping them as well, if you think the extra starches gave you more energy. Even low-nightshade you should be able to have carrots, parsnips, beets, turnips, rutabagas, jicama, plantains (greener ones are more like a starchy vegetable, riper ones get sweeter and are more fruit-like), winter squashes (like butternut or acorn squash).

Corn:

Giving me a headache and making me hungry. I'm having a surprisingly strong reaction considering I'm having it as part of an otherwise Whole30 meal with plenty of protein. But, then, maybe it's kind of a myth that eating starches with protein and fiber "slows the absorption of sugar" as I have read a billion times. (I'm not really getting a sugar rush, though. All the pain and none of the fun!)

Corn. Not really worth it. Except for that one piece of corn on the cob with Indian spices made by the lovely Indian grandmother who lives on my street and came to our July 4 party. Worth it. 

Mostly, I'll skip it. 

Archived