Wine cravings.

I'm on day 12 and really the only thing I'm craving is wine. They're really bad. (I know this makes me sound like I have a "problem" lol) Help! I'm trying to not replace the routine of having a glass of wine after work but I feel like I am really struggling. Words of inspiration greatly appreciated. Lol.

• Moderators

It's actually okay to replace the act of pouring yourself a glass of wine and sitting down to decompress after work with some healthier but similar ritual. For some people it turns out it's less about the alcohol and more about that time, where you mark the end of the work day. When you would have a glass of wine before, what else would you do? Do that, Just without the wine.

Try having a cup of hot tea or glass of iced tea or sparkling water, or taking a few minutes to stretch and relax, maybe talk to family members/roommates if you live with someone. The key for any of these is really setting aside some time each day just to relax for a few minutes.

I have read that. That's why I was saying I don't want to replace the ritual. But also, I very much enjoy the flavors of wine. I'm somewhat of a oenophile. I just need a pep talk I think because honestly the only thing I could see myself "slipping" on is the vino.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still battling wine cravings.  I had one day between my second and third Whole30 and all I wanted was a glass of merlot lol.

I have found doing dishes when I get home from work my new routine (doing the dishes is actually therapeutic for me).  It's a new habit, but it's a useful/productive one.  

You're SOO close! Good luck!

My husband and I are on day 4. Which sparkling waters are ok in the program?  We have many business meetings, family and/or friend gatherings where we'd like to have sparkling water or club soda (?) with a lime.  I would like an alternative to my wine (or any alcohol) during socials as much for health as the social event turning into the discussion of why we aren't drinking.  Any ideas would help (ideas to have this in our hand at these social gatherings, and not doing dishes or going on a walk :)).

• Moderators

My husband and I are on day 4. Which sparkling waters are ok in the program?  We have many business meetings, family and/or friend gatherings where we'd like to have sparkling water or club soda (?) with a lime.  I would like an alternative to my wine (or any alcohol) during socials as much for health as the social event turning into the discussion of why we aren't drinking.  Any ideas would help (ideas to have this in our hand at these social gatherings, and not doing dishes or going on a walk :)).

You have to read labels on every food or beverage product that you buy. Plain sparkling water with nothing added is always okay -- you can pour it over a few berries or add a splash of fruit juice. Club soda should be okay, but read the ingredients and make sure there's no sweetener or anything added. For flavored items, LaCroix brand should be compliant and I know there are some others. Look for ones without sweeteners.

You could try kombucha -- GT's brand is readily available in grocery stores around the US (their site has a store finder so you can see where to buy it near you).  This can be an acquired taste, as it has a bit of tartness/vinegary flavor to it. It is fermented and many people find that drinking it regularly helps with digestive issues, but the flip side of that is that some people find if they drink a whole bottle at once their first time trying it, it can, um, get things moving a little quickly in the bathroom department -- so start with half a bottle or less at a time and see how you do with it if you do try it.

http://whole30.com/2016/06/wine-after-work/

June 13, 2016

I know you’re looking for me to give you a straight substitute, as evidenced by your hashtags. A while ago, I might have counseled you to find a close substitute, like pouring some fizzy water or a mocktail in your wine glass every night after work. I would have given you options to preserve this same ritual without the less healthy consequences—at least, for the 30 days you are on the Whole30 program.

I would not answer the same way today.

Today, after years of habit research, I realize that the Whole30’s beauty isn’t just the awareness it brings you about the foods you’ve been eating, it’s about how the structure of the program forces you to address your bad habits around food. Forces you. Because if I didn’t make you look at them and change them, you probably wouldn’t.

You’d keep eating pancakes, you’d just make them with almond flour. You’d keep eating dessert every night, you’d just do it with date-paste-sweetened frozen bananas blended into an “ice cream.” And you’d keep coming home and automatically reaching for a wine glass full of something, even if that something is kombucha or fizzy water or something else that isn’t anywhere near wine… but is still the same HABIT.

Kombucha or Berry LaCroix aren’t SWYPO. Neither of those beverages are even close to the taste or feeling of wine. But the habit is the same, and there may always be a little bit of “It feels like wine (psychologically), but it’s definitely not wine… I still really miss wine.” Come home. Hard day. Pull out a wine glass. Fill wine glass. Sip on whatever is in the wine glass. Take five minutes for yourself. Feel relief. You aren’t getting the alcohol, but your body and brain are still living out the same pattern. So bet your booty that when your 30 days are over, you’re going to realize you can actually HAVE wine again, and you’re still conditioned to coming home and pulling out that glass… so guess what’s going back in the glass (even if you don’t really want it, out of pure habit and conditioning)?

Note: I’m specifically addressing a situation where the consumption of alcohol is ritual and habitual, like a post-work glass. If you’re just heading out to a birthday party, a happy hour event with the boss, or a wedding, I see no issue with ordering a sparkling water and lime and sipping away on something more exciting than plain old water during that event. The difference is the context; one is a reoccurring habit ingrained in your brain as a pattern of behavior, and the other is a once-in-a-while event that has no regular ritual. You feel me?

Find a New Routine That Delivers the Same Reward

• 4 weeks later...

My trick for wine cravings, especially on a weekend night when hanging out with friends or my boyfriend, is to muddle a little fruit (like one strawberry) and mint in a cup and then pour sparkling water over it.  It looks "fancy" and hits the spot of being something fun. I put it in a cocktail glass.  I even brought a beer drinking friend over to my side this weekend because she thought it looked so good!  I know it isn't wine, and it isn't taking the place of it, but it also makes me feel more like a part of the crowd than just sipping on plain water in a normal glass.

• Moderators

I wouldn't say I'm "craving" wine, but I am looking forward to having it again. I guess the question is how to keep it from becoming a habit again. Melissa's article was great. But there ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.

Stephanie

Although it's addressing food and not wine, you might want to consider the "is it worth it" question in this article every time you consider a glass of wine, and the one bite rule (one sip, in this case) addressed here. Or, since consuming alcohol can make it more difficult to decide whether further consumption is worth it, consider setting rules so you don't have to make decisions once you've already had a drink. Some ideas -- don't drink alone; order by the glass, not the bottle; and be sure for every glass of wine you have, you take a break and have a glass of water/iced tea/whatever other non-alcoholic thing you prefer before you order another glass of wine. Think of your own circumstances and come up with your own rules that work for you.

I'm on day 12 and really the only thing I'm craving is wine. They're really bad. (I know this makes me sound like I have a "problem" lol) Help! I'm trying to not replace the routine of having a glass of wine after work but I feel like I am really struggling. Words of inspiration greatly appreciated. Lol.

I totally feel you on how wine cravings make you feel like you have a problem - I'm doing my second whole30, and I had a dream that I drank wine and felt incredibly guilty the night of DAY TWO. I haven't even been drinking as often as I was during my first whole30, so I have no idea what my brain is getting at. 

Stay strong, and just think of how you'll break the habit of having a wine every night after work, so on the really, really tough days you'll feel that much more "ok" with giving in to the temptation and having a glass. Plus there's the added benefit of being a cheap drunk and not buying as much wine because you go through less a week. That's something, right?  :P

• 3 weeks later...

I miss my wine most of all!  But the sparkling water with a slice of lemon or lime in my favorite wineglass in the evening are really helping me with that.  I make the Rosemary Berry Splash (from the W30 cookbook) on Friday and Saturday nights.  As soon as it gets cooler I will be replacing that wine glass with a tea cup!  For now I am going to brew up some David's Tea and make some iced tea and see how that goes down!   I just like to sip on something when I am cooking dinner.

• 1 year later...

It's totally doable. I love wine, I drink wine, i study wine, I did freakin' SOMM TRAINING (the non-drinking part) during whole30 last year. I'm day 44 of my whole45 and very much looking forward to Thursday

You can do it!

Also, to add: what i found helpful is not replacing the drinking ritual itself - eg not drinking kombucha out of a wine glass, but i keeping my social life (after warning all my bartender friends not to pour me any tastes or alike), and drank sparkling water with or without juice, while still sitting at the same bar and socializing. I found that this way i don't equate lack of booze with lack of social interaction. 

I do think there is something ritualistic, maybe bordering on a habit/addiction, to holding a glass of something to sip. This goes rather I'm home alone watching a movie, or at a friend's house/dinner party talking to people.

I like wine and beer. And for me, drinking Kombucha is a great replacement for beer. I am not sure if it's a good replacement for wine. I make my own Kombucha, it's super cheap compared to store bought and so so easy. And I end up letting mine sit and ferment for so long, because I am busy, that I'm pretty sure there is like NO sugar left by the time I drink it. I always bring a bottle or two to parties, to drink and share, and it's worked out great! I don't know that it would work at a bar, though....

Also, my Soda Stream has been my best friend during W30. Making your own fizzy water guarantees there's no sugar, plus it's cheaper, and there's no disposable bottle waste. I get that the idea with W30 is to let go of habits/cravings/addictions, but having Kombucha at parties with beer, is so much easier than trying to drink plain water or something.

I read Melissa's post about the danger of replacing wine every night in your glass, after work, with a non-alcoholic drink. This continues to reinforce the habit and after your 30 days, you could go right back to drinking wine. However, before and during W30, I have been working on replacing alcohol with Kombucha as a permanent ritual, not just for 30 days. 

Archived