Day 30-Not a single result..

rChristine

Hi all! I started Crossfit in March, am currently 5'10, 175LBS-but have been seriously struggling with diet (by the means of finding something that works for me as an individual). Although I started in March looking for weight loss, it has turned into much much more, for the better! However, I still want weight loss results, I thirty days ago I decided I would do 30 days strict Paleo, no cheats-figuring it would get me "rolling".. In the past thirty day I have gone to Crossfit a minimum of four days a week, and again strict Paleo, not a single cheat, and very active-my clothes don't even fit differently.. I have never wanted to put such time and effort into my health in regards to being completely addicted to Crossfit and love eating Paleo by how my body feels. Could my portions really be that out of whack!!?! ANY advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't care how crazy the ideas you have may seem, I'm ready to put in all the work necessary!

First, give yourself a little credit for all of your exercise! While you may not be seeing the results you want, your heart thanks you and your bones thank you for the weight bearing exercises you are doing.

I used to have a lot of the same questions, then I read It Starts with Food. I believe that may help to answer some of your questions. Alison has a great question and there are folks a lot smarter than me that can give you assistance once they better understand the food choices you madel

5'10, 175LBS...love eating Paleo by how my body feels.

Christine- Two things stick out for me here.

One, you are at a "normal" weight for your height if I look at a BMI chart (granted, BMI is all kinds of wrong as a measure, but I find typically people who do a lot of exercise will skew heavy not light, ie. olympic sprinters get an "obese" result etc.) Long story, I can go into it more if you want more info but the takeaway is this: are you at a healthy weight already? W30 is going help you get to optimal, given enough time, but if you are striving to be lighter than what is healthy given your frame and your muscle mass it's going to be a slow road.

Two, you claim to "love how your body feels" when you eat this way. Loving how you feel doesn't sound like "no results" to me.

All that said, if you don't "love how your body looks" it's totally your perogative to work on that. I can't think of a better way to get there than ditching the scale and embracing the whole 9 (that means W30 eating, sure, but also exercise and recovery and stress management, etc).

Measuring the results of the whole30 should never be based on your pant size or weight... and the paleo diet in general is not geared for weight loss (you can eat paleo and limit your calories in like in any diet if you need to loose still). The whole purpose is that you are changing the way that your body works and changing it to the way that it is supposed to work.

Ways you should be measuring your 30 days:

Better sleeping patterns

more energy

decrease in medical problems (GI, allergies etc)

You really need to read the book it starts with food and take a look back at the whole9 principles to understand why we should all do this.

Likewise crossfit doesn't make you skinny or lighter... it makes you fit which for many people means building muscle which does have significant mass. So again check what your measuring. A few new PR's and more energy for longer workouts seems like a bigger plus then losing a few lbs.

I'm 5'10" too and am between 170-175 right now. We finished our first whole30 at the end of July and I lost a fair amount of weight (25 +/- pounds) during and in the two months after it to get to where I am today. We are mostly compliant and eat whole30 most of the time now. I'm a runner. I can't imagine being thinner than I am right now! My whole body has changed-for the better and I feel so comfortable at this weight. My only goal from this point forward is to maintain a healthy weight and firm things up with some strength training. I've gotten rid of the scale and am learning to trust how I feel.

You have probably increased your muscle mass with four days a week of CrossFit? How you feel seems to be a much better gauge than the number on the scale! Trust your body. You are working hard and feeding it well.

Firstly, thank you all for your quick replies!

Too much coconut, nut butters may be the case.. I do limit my fruit to 1 or 2 servings a day usually!

I don't want any of you to get the wrong impression that I have unrealistic goals or that they are for the total wrong reasons! I could care less if I gained weight, (I did ditch the scale about a month and a half ago and I felt judging my progress by energy levels, PR's in Crossfit and just overall how my body was feeling was also a much more "realistic" way to view my progress!) How I wrote it in my first post, could have definitely come across that I am aiming for an unrealistic weight goal, but not the case! As any girl feels I just want to "lean out" and yes that includes ditching of the love handles and said "tire tube" as some call it. I don't have a specific goal weight in my head, my Crossfit trainer said rather then weighing yourself, measure yourself as muscle weighs more but takes less room then fat - and I completely agree, the perception of what a person should weigh is so skewed in society today. I want visible muscle tone, to look STRONG (not going for a skinny minnie barbie doll) - judging by my PR's and how far I've come just in regards to my improvements at Crossfit I know I am making huge progress regardless if it is showing! But I wish it would show, again NOT on the scale, just rather looking lean.. I am not afraid of becoming "too muscular, or bulky"! I hope this gets my point across of not caring about weight!!

As of a "daily food intake":

Breakfast - boiled egg (first thing when I wake up or right after I WOD)

Two hours post WOD - smoothie, always with a water base, half scoop - full scoop of protein powder, then I add some red maca powder, tocotreniols, cacao powder, then for fruit (usually 1-2 servings)., (depends what I'm feeling) sometimes a tbsp of raw almond butter, then usually half of a banana or a cup of frozen berries, and ice (and sometimes a cup of spinach, swiss chard or some leafy green)

Lunch - some sort of protein (I try to go with the "size of my palm) for portion size, and veggies (lots of veggies, in salad form or roasted with a little spices and coconut oil)

After noon snack - usually some veggies (or a serving of fruit) with a small handful of nuts or tbsp almond butter

Supper - same as lunch

..Then I always try to not eat after supper but if I do its similar to my afternoon snack

Everyday I consume between 2-3 litres of water in green tea form or plain water, never drink juice or sodas etc.

Again thank you all for taking time to put in your advice!

I'm no expert, but you might not be eating enough for the amount of work you're doing. I recommend buying the book. The Kindle version is just $9.99 and you can download and read it on your computer in a matter of minutes.

In it, the authors state that no matter how petite a girl may be, she should be able to fit more than one egg in their hand (and eat said eggS for breakfast), along with the other meal guidelines.

I crossfit and so athletics and I've dialled in some things that work well.

I don't eat fruit at all to be honest.. As a lot of it is out of season or has too much natural sugars for my likings. I'd only eat berries once every week or so... It's never a large amount.

I found that shakes after training left me bloated and added weight, as I found I'm highly lactose intolerant. Plus a lot of shakes have added sugars. I opted for a tin of wild caught salmon and some sweet potatoes after a wod. I've seen far better gains from doing this.

Nuts and nut butters can be very dense in calories.. Sometimes they have added nasties so I keep clear if them. If you set a tub of almond butter infront of me I'd drink it! And I don't want that :P

So to compensate I eat huge meals with lots of veggies and a bit of extra meat. I played around with my fat intake and use enough to how I feel. I've maintained my weight for the past few weeks and I've deffentaly striped fat!

Hope this can shine some light and give you some help.

were you eating the same breakfast (1 egg + smoothie later) during your W30? If so, you missed a bunch of the plan requirements. If you haven't read the book, definitely do!

What's recommended is a small proten and fat snack (your egg is great for that one), then lean protein and carbs post-workout (sweet potato, roast chicken breast, etc.) all of that is meant to be eaten in ADDITION to three meals like your lunch and dinner. So you are at least one meal and snack short.

Also note that smoothies aren't really on plan, and protein powder definitely isn't! Check the label, if you aren't using plain egg or beef protein you've got dairy or soy or legumes or pseudo grains going on, along with some sort of sweetener, probably.

I haven't done the W30 yet!, I just did the 30 day Paleo (minus the peanut butter and protein shake powder which does have rice protein) strict eating on my own but now have decided to do the W30 starting in two days when I get back home! I just bought the ebook and am very intrigued to see where I may possibly be going wrong! I do smoothies and a boiled egg post WOD, as I am never hungry AT ALL for about two hours but I know it is crucial to give my body something which is why I opted for the egg(straight protein source) and a smoothie. As neither take much for my body to digest, the smoothie mix (I know it isn't the same as real food) but it is gluten, dairy, sugar (it IS sweetened with stevia which I know is not allowed on the whole30) ..the brand is Vega? Not sure if anyone has tried it but by far my favourite. That being said I may try to cut it out for the duration of the W30, as I don't do anything half way!

I used to be horrible for binge eating and my mom and sister are very slim (mainly I'm assuming due to the fact they hardly eat anything during the day and then have very large dinners, which I know is not right) so I'm always very cautious as to how much I eat and over eating, added I'm in nursing school, always studying and never know if I'm actually hungry or just bored. I won't ever cut out fruit completely, but if i eat a lot i do feel lousy, i am all for moderation of it though!!

Fergatron-I agree with the nut butters, although I get mine made at a local health shop with raw, in roasted, in salted plain almonds then I add in my own sea salt, so I know exactly what is going in it! How much fats an oils do you consume, I love avocados and only use olive oil/balsamic vinegar for salads and then all cooking is done with coconut oil..?

Again I've for the book which will answer tons of my questions!

That nut butter sounds awesome..I couldn't have it around me lol I love the stuff.. We can't get that much great stuff in Ireland :P. As for fat, I started with what the book suggested. Then when I felt like adding more i added another serving... So usually around 3-4 thumb sizes.

Same with carbs really.. I follow cffb and when my days are heavy... I eat some extra crabs!

Can relate on the binge eating as I suffered from a ED a while back. Then it flipped and the binges kicked in. The whole30 plan has really opened my eyes on food and shown me how to keep control... Though there's times I want to go and eat myself into the ground... A big assd salad usually does the job!

Bought the book and reading in "moderation" on study breaks today aha! The nut butter is amazing, perhaps I will try cutting it out for the 30 days, yikes! On another note, postWOD.. How large a tin is your salmon and like a cup of sweet potato oorr? With the whole binging thing I like to not measure but be aware of how much I should be eating. For say if I finish Crossfit at 5, have the protein and sweet potato then a lighter supper later ooor is that supper? I know the book will likely explain all this ha I'm just over eager to start Tuesday an not much time to read prior!

The book gives you a guide to how much you needa eat which is easy and handy. It's usually a tin of wild salmon and a fist size of starchy veggies. Though I change it up with easily broke down meats... Chicken... Tuna... Turkey etc

Good post wod veggies are squash, sweet potatoes, parsnips (carrots and parsnips rule), yams (though never used these), and some fruit can be added in moderation.

The guide the book gives is good on portion control but it really gives you room to made personal changes.

Good post wod veggies are squash, sweet potatoes, parsnips (carrots and parsnips rule), yams (though never used these), and some fruit can be added in moderation.

Pretty sure "sweet potato" and "yam" are two different names for the same thing. But I'll eat them by either name. :-)

Just wanted to weigh in:

If you are struggling to get rid of your love handles and spare tire, and you're crossfitting at least 4x a week, you are missing the bus.

Your problem is almost certainly not portions. Your problem is either doing too much work without fueling your efforts with enough carbohydrates, OR just flat out doing TOO MUCH WORK.

How is your sleep, btw? are you getting 8-9 hours? Is it in a completely dark room? If not, again: you're missing the bus.

I see a lot of things "wrong" with this post starting from the point that you initially say that you did the whole30 and got no weight results, to then saying that you have have smoothies to protein poweder, to then saying you are going to start in "2 days". I think the best approach is first to finish reading the book, then doing the actual Whole30 as prescribed, then posting about your results or lack thereof. Just my two cents :)

Archived