Christy's Whole30 Journey

ChristyJ

6/26/16  

I'm counting down till go time!  I'm excited; I feel ready.  I know it won't be easy, but I'm looking forward to seeing how my body will change.  Summer time and no alcohol for 30 days kinda sucks, but again, I'm going to focus on my body.

I prepped up egg cups for breakfast (egg, peppers, scallions), some ground chicken with onions, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, spinach & olives, and some strawberry/mango/raspberry cups.  I shopped and have a handful of protein & veggies in the fridge.  I have my coconut milk ready for my morning cup of coffee.

Tomorrow we're heading to the University of Vermont in Burlington to tour the campus with my soon-to-be senior.  I may indulge a bit while we explore the town, but my head's on straight for Tuesday.  I'm planning on doing my before photos & measurements once we get back.

I printed out a calendar that encompasses my 30 days.  I wish there were a Whole30 journal dealie-although posting in here and keeping an electronic food journal (I'll probably continue to use MyFitnessPal??) will work just fine.

I still like putting things on paper.  I'm old school like that. ;-)

Day 1!!  

Breakfast was easy and delicious.  I had prepped a muffin pan full of egg cups (egg with scallions, bell peppers), and put two per baggie.  I had those heated up with some fresh salsa.  I had a couple of coworkers enviously eyeing my colorful breakfast as I walked back to my desk from the kitchen.  Lunch was good-ground chicken with bell peppers, onions, carrots, diced tomatoes, black olives along with a small serving of strawberries, raspberries & mango.  Then dinner was a big salad of veggies, plain grilled chicken, hard boiled eggs & a homemade dressing.  I also had a small bowl of the fruit combo from lunch.  I had a couple of almonds at one point in the afternoon, but otherwise didn't snack.

The dreaded hour:  right around when I get home from work I either want to snack or nap or snack then nap or nap then snack... you get the idea.  Today I was hit with a wave of fatigue when I first got home.  I let myself lay down for 10 minutes (set the timer on my phone), and got up before my timer.  It was enough to take the edge off, and I didn't snack.  Instead, I changed into workout clothes, joined Chalene and did PiYo buns before dinner.

I spent a little time talking with my husband tonight about the details of what I can/can't have.  I'm following this-he's not-but he's supportive of it.  He does a good amount of cooking (he's an amazing chef), so he wanted to make sure he didn't accidentally add something at some point that would make me have to go back to Day 1.  He knows that wouldn't be good.  For me or for him. ;-)

Bring on Day 2!

Day 2:  Today has been interesting:

8:30am breakfast was 2 egg cups with fresh salsa, 12:00 lunch ground chicken with diced tomatoes, peppers, onions, carrots, olives along with strawberries, raspberries & mango.  I had an apple and some almonds at 2:30-I had to leave the office at 3 for a 4:00 acupuncture appointment with plans to run to a natural foods store nearby after the appointment.  I had the snack because I was afraid I'd be STARVING.  And I was right.  By the time I got to the grocery store it was 5:30pm.  I found bacon that fits the plan-hurray!  Grabbed some ghee, sweet potatoes, freshly made almond butter, olive snack bags (figured these would be great for traveling), and I could have grabbed more and more.  I was so hungry-they had all kinds of delicious goodies around that I resisted.  But I bought a small beet, ginger & lemon juice just to hold me over.  

Another side note, a little personal, but I was on tamoxifen for about 1 1/2 years as a preventative measure for breast cancer.  It put me into a chemically-induced menopause.  I went off it in December-about a year ago I had an ovary removed-so I wasn't sure what would happen hormonally.  I've since found out I've been experiencing the joys of menopause...so today I felt bloated and slightly crampy, but figured it was related to Day2.  Nope, not totally anyway.  I started my period (I've only had it twice in a year).

So dinner... I cooked up the bacon, roasted potatoes, and roasted brussel sprouts with onion and some of the bacon.  My husband made me chicken patties that I heated up and added to my dinner.

Acupuncture made me super relaxed (I fell asleep during it-woke myself up 3-4 times with a snore-lol), took away any cramps, and hopefully will help me sleep well tonight.  

Archived