Spaghetti Squash

bertadee

I found this suggestion on Pinterest, and it's the best way to cook spaghetti squash! Slice the squash into rounds about 1 inch thick, remove the seeds and stringy bits, place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast at 425 for about 45 minutes, turning over halfway through.

You'll notice that you can remove the flesh from the skin so easily, and it is in nice long strands. In the past when I've roasted spaghetti squash that had been halved, I found that the strands were short and choppy because of the scraping with a fork. 

Yes, it's still tough to slice the squash before cooking - but it can be done with a good chef's knife. 

I found this suggestion on Pinterest, and it's the best way to cook spaghetti squash! Slice the squash into rounds about 1 inch thick, remove the seeds and stringy bits, place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast at 425 for about 45 minutes, turning over halfway through.

You'll notice that you can remove the flesh from the skin so easily, and it is in nice long strands. In the past when I've roasted spaghetti squash that had been halved, I found that the strands were short and choppy because of the scraping with a fork. 

Yes, it's still tough to slice the squash before cooking - but it can be done with a good chef's knife

I always used a chef's knife and always carefully watched my fingers as I struggled through cutting my spaghetti squash. Then I saw a video on YouTube showing cutting with a paring knife. Works perfectly and I feel like I have much better control. Great idea making rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I wash it, poke it full of holes with a fork, and put it in the crock-pot with 1 inch of water for 4-5 hours. The skin slices like butter after it's been soaking for so long and I just get all my other meal prep done during the cooking time (with time to rest!) :)

• 3 weeks later...

I put my spaghetti squash whole in the microwave for 30 seconds and then easily cut through it in half.  Then I take all the sets and stringy parts out and either put it in the crock pot or roast it in the oven.  So easy and I have almost sliced a finger trying to get through that outside in the past so the microwave is the easiest for sure but will try just putting it in whole in the crock next time and see what I think.

Archived