Severe bloating Day 5

Some background: I had very bad bloating for over two weeks before my OB-GYN suggested I try this program to help. (My regular doctor only prescribed omeprazole for my acid reflux, and it didn't help.)

I've been following this program to a T, and by day 3 felt a bit better. 

Today I woke up being even more bloated than when I started, and it's only gotten worse. 

I drink plenty of water, and my diet leading up to this wasn't terribly different from what I'm eating now, except for dairy and sugar. I have Celiac, so I already don't eat gluten, and I am sensitive to dairy (from what I understand ghee should be okay though). I have no headaches/withdrawal, and aside from the bloating I feel fine. 

Here's what I ate yesterday (Day 4):

Brunch: scrambled eggs w/ kale, two strips of turkey bacon, side of sweet potatoes

Late lunch: green bean salad w/ walnuts, onions, and a mint vinaigrette; two slices of turkey; strawberries

Dinner: Grilled chicken, asparagus, bell pepper, and red potatoes with ghee

This morning (Day 5):

Breakfast: one hard-boiled egg, black coffee, handful of nuts (it was hard to even get this down)

"Lunch": one cup of mixed berries (I can't eat anything more than this!)

It's 3 pm and I am so bloated and uncomfortable that I want to go home from work. I would love some suggestions/guidance on what to do here. I have a healthy lunch packed but I can't fathom eating it, or anything right now. 

Thank you in advance!

For some with autoimmune issues (like celiac), night shades (bell pepper), nuts and eggs can cause issues.

Aside from that, most of your meals are lacking in fat. Try cutting back on nuts and use a different fat source (olives, coconut, avocado, pesto, chimichurri, rendered animal fats etc)

Plate a template meal and eat as much as you are able and when you're next able to eat some more.

Are you salting your food? It seems counterintuitive, but adequate salt helps with bloat. Are you eating new foods or more of a food than you use to?

Thank you for your reply! I usually salt my food, so glad to hear that that's a good thing. 

I will take note on the fat. I guess I'm a bad Celiac in not knowing about night shades, nuts, and eggs. I will definitely look into this more. I'm hoping the bloat goes away soon. 

Sorry to hear you're having some digestive issues Lena...

It's difficult to pinpoint what might be the cause of the bloating from just one day's worth of food - there are a few common culprits in yesterday's food, granted, but it would be easier to spot a pattern if you could list out what you have eaten over the past say 3-4 days...

Are you eating more animal protein than usual?

Thank you for your reply! I usually salt my food, so glad to hear that that's a good thing.

I will take note on the fat. I guess I'm a bad Celiac in not knowing about night shades, nuts, and eggs. I will definitely look into this more. I'm hoping the bloat goes away soon.

I only know it because I'm always seeing AIP posts from friends. You are NOT a bad celiac! It could be something NOT nightshade, nut or egg related! The fact that you're avoiding gluten so strictly tells me that you value your gut enough to take care of you.

Yes, I'm eating more animal protein than usual. I typically don't eat a lot of meat (no more than once a day), but I do eat a lot of seafood. 

Unfortunately my bloating today isn't new, it's just worse than what it is. It really started a couple of weeks ago, and has been the worst since I learned I can't eat gluten (three and a half years ago). 

I honestly can't remember what I ate over the past few days, but I am starting a detailed food journal as of yesterday. 

I'm just frustrating that I'm feeling this bad after five days...I'm going to keep with the program because I was feeling bad before I started. I just hope in the long run this will help with the bloating and re-set my system so to speak. 

Try easing on to other animal proteins, like chicken or turkey first and then ease into pork and beef. Maybe find recipes that blend seafood and other proteins together. It could be your gut is getting adjusted to other sources of protein

Yes, I'm eating more animal protein than usual. I typically don't eat a lot of meat (no more than once a day), but I do eat a lot of seafood. 

Try adding in a digestive enzyme. It could be that your gut is struggling to break down the proteins - it takes a lot more effort to digest protein at the best of times which is why it provides good satiety - so this should help. You could also look at adding in some kombucha, or other fermented food such as sauerkraut if you're not already doing so - both of which will improve the gut bacteria.

Definitely come back in a few days with a list of what you have been eating - there are a number of different food groups which can be problematic, so it will be much easier to pin point when we have a clearer & larger snapshot of your typical foods.

We'll get you there in the end  :)

Archived