My umpteenth attempt

fmr_sailor

The first time I attempted the Whole30 was last July 1st. After that, I started and quit quite a few times, with my last attempt in January. Over the past year, I've immersed myself in the so-called Paleosphere, and I've learned so much. Not just about food, but about the Paleo lifestyle, and a lot of things have changed in my life. I feel more ready than ever to complete a Whole30. I was going to begin July 1, but my house and my head are ready today, so here I go.

I know I'll need to really make sure I'm getting adequate carbohydrate from starchy carbs and/or fruit because I'm very active, and I know that a few times I quit it was intense lethargy that got me.

Day one went by without much fanfare. My meals looked pretty much the same as they have over the past year. I just made an effort to add a little more fat to the meals.

I slept like a dream last night, more soundly than I have in a long time. I expected a "sugar headache" this morning of day two, but I feel fine.

My mom sort of disparaged my trying the Whole30 again, but I don't really care. I just cared for like a second. Lol

28-29 were my dress rehearsal, but I consider today my true day one. (I like the day I'm on corresponding to the date better. Lol) I feel like killing all the things today. Oh well, protein and fat and a quiet day at home.

Well it's day three, and I'm grouchy. I got my Americano from Starbucks today that I usually like, but I felt angry about its bitterness and only drank half before pouring the rest out. I know this is my brain wanting my yummy, sugary-tasting Skinny Caramel Macchiato. Then I started thinking all kinds of absurd things. "I don't have anything special anymore. I'm stuck with things that aren't good or fun or sweet or delicious...." Like a whiny toddler! Then I mixed up a Whole30 mocktail with a bit of frozen berries, a bit of coconut water, and a can of La Croix. So good! Not sweet and creamy, of course, but definitely special in my opinion. (You can see it and my "recipe" on Instagram!) I feel somewhat better. I keep finding myself thinking about what I'm gonna have on day 31. Then I stop and remind myself that I don't need to be thinking that far ahead, let's just get through today. And I couldn't possibly know what I'm going to want come day 31. My tastes might have (should have?) changed by then. Who knows? All I can say is if I make it through this day that's a victory in itself.

The 4th of July went off without a hitch. I was at my mom's with the kids and a few other family members. I had hamburgers and compliant hot dogs. No cravings, no feelings of deprivation; I felt completely satisfied.

Today? Not so much. For many months now (maybe even a year....?) I have enjoyed a local Chinese buffet restaurant. I don't overeat there, but my body really reacts to all the sodium in the food, and I feel like my frequent visits may be impeding progress I'd like to see in my physique. I also have a thing for pizza.....and that has been a once a week venture for a while now too. I believe that food is just food, that there is no morality attached to food, but yes, some foods are healthier than others. And some foods really aren't healthy at all. That said, I am craving like mad. I hear my brain rationalizing why I should just eat the things I want, and its rationale sure sounds good.

The problem is what about the part of my brain that wanted to make July a "buffet-free" month? What about the part of my brain that thought I was going too often and wanted to go less, but struggled with following through?

I have been following some of the body positive, anti-diet leaders, and their voices ring in my head during these times. "Restriction, of any kind, leads to preoccupation with forbidden foods and increases the desire to consume them. And when you do, it can end up in binging behavior." So what do I do with all that?

Not sure what direction I'll go in today, but my thoughts are on "paper," so there. I'm also completely worn out from the gym this morning, and quite a few of my Whole30 attempts have gone awry due to my feeling this way physically.

Hey lady. I relate to this soooooo much. Im trying not to think of w30 as "restriction" in the traditional sense. I can eat as much as I want, whenever I want, whatever I want (that last bit within the guidelines of course.) Those first two parts really help me get through the moment when I'm fantasizing about sweet-salty-fat concoctions (ie pizza.) When I hear restriction I think deprivation- not letting myself eat enough food...I'm eating way more on W30 and that's helped tremendously. Then again I don't need to lose weight (as a die hard diet fiend, part of me still wants to lose some weight regardless....) If you feel comfortable eating more, or more often, that might help.

:D

The day dawns on day seven. I made it. Day five was a bear, really hard to not quit, but yesterday was much better. I think my belly is looking fluffier now though. However I know I'm almost to the "my pants are tighter" phase of the Whole30, so I'll just avoid the mirror. Lol. Food is good, still pretty sore from Tuesday's workout. I've got a run planned this morning (3 miles), then I'm subbing a cycling class at lunchtime, but I think I'm gonna teach some off the bike. It depends on how many students are there. Maybe no one with show..... That would be totally ok with me today.

I also have a thing for pizza.....and that has been a once a week venture for a while now too. I believe that food is just food, that there is no morality attached to food, but yes, some foods are healthier than others. And some foods really aren't healthy at all. That said, I am craving like mad. I hear my brain rationalizing why I should just eat the things I want, and its rationale sure sounds good.

Great job on your 4th of July victory!

Totally relate to this one on pizza!  I believe I could live on pizza, even though we used to have it only once or twice a month.  My solution on W30 has been sautéed beef and making my own spaghetti sauce (tomato puree, fire roasted canned tomatoes, LOTS of garlic, spices, etc).  Pouring it over sautéed mushrooms is so good that I don't miss pizza.  Just a thought.... :D

Hi fmr_sailor, I have a thing for pizza too! I once spent 10 days in Munich and ate a pizza every. single. day. 

Also, I have issues with my mom being a lot less supportive of my Whole30 journey than I would like. It's frustrating, but I hope I can win the day by just exhibiting all the positive changes this will bring... well that's my plan for now!

Good luck with yours :D

My craving has been for tuna pizza... sounds gross but it's just an open faced tuna salad sandwich with lots of lettuce and tomatoes, fresh and dried herbs, and a delicious vinaigrette on top of a baked and cooled thin pizza crust. It is effing AMAZING and it's something that I think about every day. I've made tuna salad with herbs and salad and it's just not the same as eating it on that thin crispy delicious pizza crust, so I feel your pain. :rolleyes:

Hi fmr_sailor, I have a thing for pizza too! I once spent 10 days in Munich and ate a pizza every. single. day.

Also, I have issues with my mom being a lot less supportive of my Whole30 journey than I would like. It's frustrating, but I hope I can win the day by just exhibiting all the positive changes this will bring... well that's my plan for now!

Good luck with yours :D

My mom hasn't said anything else about the Whole30 to me. It's probably partially my fault that she was kind of negative about my doing it. After trying and failing like 6 or 7 times last year, I really rationalized why the Whole30 wasn't something I needed to do.

My craving has been for tuna pizza... sounds gross but it's just an open faced tuna salad sandwich with lots of lettuce and tomatoes, fresh and dried herbs, and a delicious vinaigrette on top of a baked and cooled thin pizza crust. It is effing AMAZING and it's something that I think about every day. I've made tuna salad with herbs and salad and it's just not the same as eating it on that thin crispy delicious pizza crust, so I feel your pain. :rolleyes:

I love an open faced tuna melt, so that sounds fantastic! Hope you're hanging in there too! The past two days have been "easy." I haven't thought about food that much; in fact I wasn't really that hungry for those days, but today I got pretty hungry. No cravings or temptation as of now.

Ugh, I feel worn out, but the thought of writing down everything I've eaten over the past three days just sounds too overhwelming to ask any questions in the forum. I know the template, I know the guidelines and minimums. I've been eating some fruit with meals, and a starchy carb with lunch and dinner. Breakfast and lunch are about 3 to 3.5 hours apart, that's the best I can do with my schedule. But then between lunch and dinner there are usually 5-6 hours. No problem making it. I'm sleeping well. I drink plenty of water, but I cannot track it. Or the food. I have tracked my whole life since like 2001, and I just don't want to right now. I'm gonna try to do between 8-10 miles Sunday morning. I use Galloway's Run-Walk method so I doubt it will be too difficult on day 10. I didn't get to bed as early as I should have last night. We had storms, and the power was out for a couple of hours. I think this is probably just the standard fatigue as I become better adapted to fat burning. So I'll just hang with my buddy, General Malaise, for a few more days, maybe he'll take his leave from me after that. Planning to go to Whole Foods tomorrow; just trying to decide if I want the Epic Lard or Duck fat. #whole30problems

There are no rules that say you have to report what you eat, when you eat, who you ate with, when you had a hangnail....etc.  Your honesty and accountability with yourself are what counts and it sounds like you're a champ with that.  I love how open you are with your feelings.   

We're almost 33% of the way to 30 days.  You've got this.  :)

I think this is probably just the standard fatigue as I become better adapted to fat burning. So I'll just hang with my buddy, General Malaise, for a few more days, maybe he'll take his leave from me after that. Planning to go to Whole Foods tomorrow; just trying to decide if I want the Epic Lard or Duck fat. #whole30problems

I SOOO feel your pain. The General Malaise has been visiting here too. I'm finding layers of issues -- I think you read my post re my naturopath visit? I'm still not feeling great here on day 29. Longing for some energy. I feel a little better than I did last week, but nothing like I imagine Tiger Blood to be. At least I don't feel like kill all the things as I did a few days ago... I browned sweet potato cubes in the Epic Duck Fat last night -- VERY tasty.

I SOOO feel your pain. The General Malaise has been visiting here too. I'm finding layers of issues -- I think you read my post re my naturopath visit? I'm still not feeling great here on day 29. Longing for some energy. I feel a little better than I did last week, but nothing like I imagine Tiger Blood to be. At least I don't feel like kill all the things as I did a few days ago... I browned sweet potato cubes in the Epic Duck Fat last night -- VERY tasty.

I bought the lard. :-)

So ugh, I feel ugh. This weekend went fine with no issues, but this week is gonna be crazy. My daughters are in a half day science program this week in the town 15 minutes away, but one has to go in the morning and the other in the afternoon so lots of back and forth driving. Plus, all three of them have Vacation Bible School at night. The church is in my little town, but it doesn't even end til 9 pm. I get up early, so it's a pain to be dressed and out at 9. I'm already really tired today, and last night was the first night.

I feel a strong desire to quit the Whole30 today and go eat at my very favorite Chinese restaurant and then get a skinny Caramel Macchiato. I'm not sure if I'll make it through today....we will see.

Archived