Do not like veggies

LRBrown

Ok, this may sound like a ludicrous topic for someone on a Whole30 Challenge, but it has been a problem for me ever since I can remember. I want to be healthy, I really do! One of my biggest struggles when going paleo was hitting the right nutrients/ carb amount because I just do not like veggies.

- Most people will say, "You just haven't had them prepared the right way." But I'm pretty sure I have tried most kinds/ ways.

- Even ones that I do find that I can tolerate, I get to a certain point (certainly, not an acceptable amount though) that I physically can't (I literally start to gag) take another bite.

- Another note is that I have been really, really trying to eat more veggies (In both types of veggies and ways of prep) so I would LIKE to think that my taste buds would change but after 2 years of 70%ish paleo, still no dice)

PLEASE help! This is one area that I want to change with my whole30 challenge (my relationship w/ veggies).

You didn't mention which veg it is you tolerate. Do you know what it is that you don't like about veg? Flavour? Texture?

I still struggle with green, leafy stuff but have come to really like some things like carrots (which are horrible boiled) once I realised that you can roast most things. I've also found that things like lemon juice and fish sauce (not together) can really help with flavouring things - as can duck or bacon fat.

Good luck with finding more things you like.

I find roasting veggies brings out their flavour the best, you can roast a whole bunch at once and keep them on hand for later. Season with what you like, keep it simple with S&P or experiment with seasonings. For e.g. I love to roast sweet potato with cinnamon or Roast a whole bunch of different veggies with herbs de provence.

I also like to steam veggies then add some ghee or coconut oil on top.

Try them chunky in some soup or pureed.

Things like mashed cauliflower made like mashed potato is great, again add some ghee or coconut oil on top.

Good luck!

Are you using spices (besides salt, pepper, and garlic powder)?

Try some stuff from Melissa Joulwan: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/. I just got her cookbook, "Well Fed," which is amazing. Her recipes are mostly on the site, too. The first time I made vaggies with rogan josh, I ate the whole darn skillet worth (http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/24/homemade-rogan-josh-seasoning/)

Because you've been trying for two years and because you physically gag, I wonder if this is a case where you could benefit from some help from a professional. Swallowing issues are usually addressed by speech therapists. It might be worth seeing if you could be evaluated by one - even if they rule out a physical issue they may have suggestions the general public might not.

Because you've been trying for two years and because you physically gag, I wonder if this is a case where you could benefit from some help from a professional. Swallowing issues are usually addressed by speech therapists. It might be worth seeing if you could be evaluated by one - even if they rule out a physical issue they may have suggestions the general public might not.

This is probably a good idea because there might be other factors at play besides just not liking veggies.

Another idea for you might be to go the way of the sneaky chef and "hide" them in meatloaf or meatballs, in the red sauce to cover them, made into little fritters etc

Archived