Kim's Food Journey

slim kim

Day 1

Found the website and read about this new deal...Whole 30. I decided to start today. Went grocery shopping to buy all needed supplies to cook my weekly food. Today I cooked up a storm. I had no problems sticking to the plan with so much good food on the stove. I didn't even miss my nightly wine.

Day 2 & 3

I ate eggs, chili, silky zucchini soup, and made a pork herb roast in the crockpot. Day 3 I roasted slices of sweet potato in oil oil and found a decadent treat. I COULD eat 3 sweet potatoes cooked this way in a sitting, but that may be overdoing it and probably won't help with weight loss.

Day 4

The day started great. I rose earlier than I normally would on a 10:00 am work day (6:30) and took Cricket for a 30 minute walk.

Breakfast: 1 egg

5-6 sweet potato slices

coffee

Lunch:  cup of chili

1 apricot

10 or so cherries

I left work with a headache and feeling tired and hungry. At 4:00 I had about 2 stalks of celery with 2 T cashew butter. Still feel not so great...and now bloated, too. 

Hey kim & welcome to Whole30

I think you let work tired & hungry because you're not eating nearly enough and since what we eat has a cumulative effect on our bodies your body is probably trying to play catch up.... Have you seen the recommended meal template?

You'll feel better if you make the meals you've eaten look a little something more like this:

Breakfast: 3 eggs (when eggs are your only source of protein in a meal a serving is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand), 5-6 sweet potato slices, handful of cherry tomatoes, a cup of sauteed kale, mayo on the side, coffee

Lunch: 1-2 cups of chill on top of a generous serving of zoodles & sauteed mushrooms topped with half an avocado, water, 1 apricot

Your snack shows you you're not eating enough, and really we want you to avoid snacking so that your body has a chance to tap into it's fat stores for fuel, so think about increasing the size of your meals to meet that goal. If you can't do it right away don't panic - plate up a template sized meal, eat from it what you can, then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able (ie. not at the next meal) - your appetite will soon come around...

As an aside the bloating could well be from the celery and nut butter - both can be hard on the digestive system, but if you're increasing the size of your meals you won't need to rely on these anyways so it's all good.

Remember - drink plenty of water, salt your food, and embrace the fat.

Good luck!

JMCB,

Thanks for the direction. But REALLY? It kind of scares me to eat that much! I am 55 and sit all day in an office, so my metabolism isn't like the other "youngsters." It's not that I can't stuff myself. I did it plenty with sweets and carb-laden meals! But I haven't been too hungry since starting the diet. I thought of that as a bonus! However, if eating more is how Whole 30 works, then I will give it a try. Mornings are tough, because I am not really hungry at 7:00 am, when I'd need to cook and eat before work.

Day 5

My headache hasn't left since yesterday. My bloating went away last night an hour after dinner (Pork roast and snap peas), It hit me again tonight after dinner. I feel like my stomach is huge! I took magnesium yesterday and again today, because I read that it helps with constipation. I felt that way yesterday, but today I'm doing a little better.

I have not had any cravings for anything so far. Although after dinner I wanted to try a Larabar, but felt like it might be a gateway drug to whatever carby dessert I could cobble together. I'm very creative  :D. The big temptation I have is to weigh myself. I am a daily weigh-er. First thing in the morning. Naked. Before I drink water or coffee. After I hit the toilet. I'm not tempted to do it later in the day. I want optimal results! I guess I will have to put that scale in the garage. I just read the suggestion from jmcbn about eating more. She (?) won't like Day 5 one bit. But my alarm didn't go off and I left the house in 20 minutes. Breakfast was eaten in the car.

Breakfast: 1 apple; coffee

Mid-Morning snack: handful of mixed nuts (no peanuts)

Lunch: 1-1/1/2 cups beef chili; 2 cups cantaloupe chunks

Dinner: Herb Pork roast (about 1-1 1/2 cup);

1/2 sweet potato with 1 teas. clarified butter

Salad with lettuce, snap peas, 1 tomato, 1 tablespoon Tuscan Italian dressing (From Trader Joe's. It's the only dressing without soybean oil.)

I walked about 40 minutes after dinner, but it more on the leisurely side, since I'm not feeling that great and I was with Cricket. I might go to bed early. 

Thanks for the direction. But REALLY? 

Yes, really.

Day 5

I just read the suggestion from jmcbn about eating more. She (?) won't like Day 5 one bit. 

Yes, she  :) 

Honestly, do try to eat more. Eating less is counter productive as it causes the body to slow the metabolism down so that it uses less fuel & can keep reserves in case things get really tough. Remember that you're eating nutrient dense food - not sugar laden - so your body will thank you for it, rather than continue to be hungry - hungry for the nutrients. The morning appetite will soon come around - have you tried prepping the likes of a frittata that can be sliced & reheated in the morning to save on time? Or just opted for whatever leftovers you've got... You can eat anything at meal one that you can eat at meal two or three, so if you do a big batch cook you can just mix & match your protein & veg & then add a fat - keep it simple.

Day 6 

Woke again with an even worse sinus headache and my neck and shoulder pain (which started well before starting Whole30) Usually I live with a dull headache and don't bother with pain relievers. I hated to go "off the plan" and use OTC meds, so I searched the website to see if I could. I ultimately did take something for the sinus headache and 2 Aleve for the neck and muscle strain. The pain was gone within an hour. Wow, relief!

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with 1 cup of cooked spinach/mushroom/onion cooked in olive oil

Lunch: 1 1/4 cup beef chili

Salad with lettuce, 1 tomato, few slices of celery and dressing (red wine vinegar/olive oil/chipotle salsa)

1 apricot

Dinner: I went out to dinner and stayed on the plan, but didn't really have enough calories and fat, I think. I was hungry soon after.

Grilled white fish

Grilled veggies (broccoli, zucchini, cabbage, carrots, etc) cooked with lemon, some canola oil and pepper)

Later (about 9:00): 1 apple with 1 tbls cashew butter. (REALLY GOOD)

I really made sure I drank enough water today. About 96 oz. I did a 30 minute walk with Matt and Cricket, but not vigorous.

Day 7 

I had to leave extra early this morning, but managed to eat breakfast. I have not had the headache (well, it did come on in the afternoon, a bit) or the bad neck pain. Because it's Friday and a holiday weekend, I am having fleeting thoughts forbidden foods, particularly creamy foods: smoothies; ice cream, yogurt and sour cream on anything. Also, wine in the evening. luckily I have found a wonderful cucumber seltzer water at Trader Joe's which really helps me feel like I am having a special drink in the evening. Super summer drink!

No walk today. I took Cricket to get spayed and have been focused on her since I got her after work. She is so pitiful.  :( In fact, I planned to cook dinner, but ended up eating more leftovers.

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs in coconut oil

1 chicken garlic sausage (compliant)

Mid morning: 1 apricot

Lunch: 1 1/2 cup Silky Zucchini Soup

2/3 cup shredded pork with 1/2 cup snap peas

Afternoon snack: 1 apple with 1 1/2 tbl cashew butter

Dinner: Pork roast with mustard

Cooked Broccoli with 1 tbl avocado mayo (compliant)

1/2 baked sweet potato w/1 1/2 teas ghee

It has been a week now, and all my cooking last weekend got me through the week, although I'm sort of sick of pork roast!

Day 8

I began Whole 30 last Saturday.  Week 1 is done!

I didn't have a real breakfast this morning. I got up late and then had to meet someone to look at a bike, without time for breakfast. I took a Larabar on the drive there.

Breakfast: Larabar, coffee

Lunch/Brunch: 3 egg omelette with 1/2 cup beef chile, 1/2 avocado, and salsa on top. 

2 cups cantalope chunks

Worked outside restoring the bike I bought. I had a delicious can of coconut water with some pineapple juice in it.

Dinner: Salmon cooked in coconut oil

Broccoli with 1 teas. avocado mayo

Salad with lettuce, 1/4 avocado, 7 kalamata olives, grape tomatoes, sliced carrot, Tuscan Italian Dressing.

I really haven't been that hungry. I've been drinking more than usual. Water, or sparkling water with a little non-sweetened cranberry juice, or cherry juice added for just a little flavor.

I did slip up and weighed myself. I've lost 3 lbs, but don't feel it. My stomach still feels bloated a little, but not as much as earlier days. I put the scale in the garage!

No headaches. And I haven't notice aches, now that I think about it. I will try to be more aware tomorrow to see if that is really better. I did not walk or exercise, but the work outside cleaning, buffing and fixing a rusty bike (in the sun) felt physical. I did ride around the block a couple of times to try out the bike, but hardly exercised. Tomorrow, may do a ride. I will certainly do the ride on the 4th up to Ojai.

Day 9

My face seems thinner, but I am more aware of my belly fat. UGH. I never thought I would have a couple of rolls. I wonder if the water weight sort of plumped out everything so I didn't see/feel the rolls before. Had a headache this morning but it went away later. I felt hungrier today, even after I ate. I rode my bike to the gym and did some weight machines. I haven't done that for a couple of weeks or more.

Breakfast: 1/4 of a frittata ( 8 eggs, mushrooms, spinach, onion, and the last of the pork!)

Fruit salad (watermelon, cantaloupe, cherries)

Lunch: 1/2 avocado with 1/2 tuna salad mix (1 can tuna, compliant mayo, celery, dill pickles, mustard) on lettuce

Silky zucchini soup

After workout: 1 plum

Dinner: 1/2 large grilled ribeye steak

1/2 large baked potato with clarified butter

brocolli

Snack: 2 cups watermelon

Day 10- 4th of July

I have noticed that I am more regular the last three days. That never happens! Last night, and now tonight I am really craving wine. Come on, it's a holiday weekend! We spent the day riding bikes 1 1/2 hrs up and back to Ojai. It was really hard. I don't know if it's the new (used) bike, or if I have gotten more out of shape? I just did a longer ride no more than 2 months ago. Once up there I drank a lot of water and coconut water. After the parade we ate and I was hungry by then. I found something on the menu and stayed on the plan. Later we went to Matt's brother's for a barbeque. I made a fruit salad so I knew I'd have something to eat. I stayed on the plan, even though I was offered drinks and there were brownies and cupcakes. I didn't really feel like I had enough to eat, though.

Breakfast: 1/4 fritatta (same as yesterday) with mustard

Fruit salad

Lunch: Taco Salad (lettuce, pico de gallo, steak, guacamole, salsa)

Early dinner/barbeque: 2 hamburger patties with lettuce, tomato, and guacamole

2 bites of grilled beef (not sure of the marinade content)

fruit salad (there were NO vegetables there!)

Snack (still hungry): handful of mixed nuts (no peanuts)

Later dinner (I was hungry!): 2-3 oz grilled salmon

1/2 cup brocolli 

1 tbl mayo mixed with lemon juice and tarragon

And right now I am hungry still. But it is 9:15, so I won't eat. I have eaten too much fruit today. It makes me feel a little hollow, I think. This is when I'd love a glass of Cabernet to dull my hunger.

Days 11, 12, 13, 14

Whoops! Looks like I missed more days than I thought. I better not even start trying to recall what I ate. I've been basically eating leftovers since the weekend, anyway.

I have been REALLY hungry but have tried to not overdo the eating, while adding some fat. I searched the forum and found someone comment that sometimes eating fruit in the morning leads to hunger throughout the day. I have been eating fruit with every breakfast, and basically every meal. I have a lot of fruit salad left over from the 4th. Plus some plums I want to eat up...and cherries...and more melon. So maybe I've been overdoing it. Too much fruit sort of gives me a gnawing feeling in my gut, anyway. But it tastes so good, is sweet, and an easy grab. 

So yesterday I did not have fruit in the morning. Or all day (sort of...I cut up 1/2 apple in my chicken salad). I didn't notice any hunger. So maybe that is the cure. Today I had fruit salad with lunch. And the other 1/2 apple with cashew butter just now as a mid-afternoon snack. I do have a little comfortableness.

Overall I would say that I have more energy than usual. I wake up easier in the morning than ever before. My schedule has had to change this week. Now I am working everyday 8-2, so no more lazy mornings! Life will be different. I have headed to bed between 9:30 and 10:00 a couple of nights. I should do that every night. I took one long walk (60 minutes) in the past 3 days as well as 1 25-30 minute Get-Cricket-Out walk. Will walk again today.

I don't have as much achy-ness. But I do have my neck, upper back, arm pain and a constant dull headache. I notice the headache as soon as I wake up in the morning. It is better off and on during the day. I am wondering if it is due to my neck issue. I finally made an appt with a chiropractor for next Monday. I can't wait to see if alignment will help. I need a good massage, too.

I am bummed that it doesn't seem like I'm losing weight. I wonder what you do on this diet if you really want to lose? I don't notice my pants getting any looser. When will THAT kick in?

With the weekend here, I'll be cooking up some good food to use next week. At least I like the food I'm eating. I roasted carrots and a potato to have with left over steak. I also roasted beets to make the orange/beet salad in the book for tonight.

Today's food:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with 1/2 cup chopped salmon

1/2 avocado on top

1/4 yukon potato cubed and fried in coconut oil

Lunch: 1 chicken-garlic sausage (compliant) cut up with 3/4 cup green beans and 1/4 yukon potato, cubed.

1 cup fruit salad

1 plum

Snack: 1/2 apple w/1 tbls cashew butter

Dinner to come...

Day 14 cont:

Dinner: Ahi tuna seared in olive oil, coconuts amino drizzled on top

Beet, orange and avocado salad on top of lettuce (Whole30 recipe)

a couple of pieces of roasted carrot

Walked at beach for 1 hour+. When we came back I really wanted a glass of wine in the evening but had sparkling water with lemon instead. 

Day 15

I'm half-way there! Today I have good energy and feel pretty well. I have noticed that I haven't been as regular the last couple of days. I also haven't taken magnesium for a couple of days. I think that my water intake has been okay. Could have had a little more, maybe. Not such a headache today. But maybe that had to do with the awesome massage my sweetie gave me last night. I also have not had to sit at a desk for 6 hours, so that has GOT to help,

Another thing I have noticed is a generally "cleaner" taste in my mouth all day. I don't have the sticky, gummed up feeling in my mouth which I attribute to sugar and starchy carbs. May be due to milk products...or having no alcohol. I don't know. It's a good thing.

I went to lunch with Matt and his dad on the spur of the moment, just to be social. They went to a Mexican restaurant. It was horrible! The only thing I could have was a Tostada, Hold the beans, cheese, rice, and sour cream. just lettuce, meat and guac. I let them put it in the big flour shell. I ordered shredded beef. When I got it and tasted the beef, I immediately stopped eating it. It had some sort of pasty-ness to it. Like they mixed the meat with flour, or corn flour or something worse. Awful! So I couldn't eat it and took it back to the counter and asked for a steak tostado. The meat was pretty grisly. I couldn't eat much of it. Very unappetizing and I wondered what they put in the guacamole that could have been non-compliant. I'm not going to worry about it, though. It was the worst restaurant I've eaten at for years. Everything felt sticky, too. Yuck!

Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with compliant bacon (2-3 strips), avocado (1/2), onion, bell peppers, and tomato.

Lunch: That awful 'tostado'. Lettuce, Salsa, chopped up steak, guacamole. and one taste of the "mystery" mixture. So regreting wasting my lunch on that when I have a great beet salad at home.

It is 5:30 and I should start dinner, but I'm not that hungry today. Maybe that big omelette helped. One thing I found out today: bacon without sugar or sweetener in it is not even worth it. I spent a lot for 8 slices in the package. It even says "Whole30 compliant" on the label (Pederson's) I just think it's interesting how much sugar is a part of many everyday foods. Bacon just doesn't have much flavor without the sweetness added.

Dinner (to come, but I know what I'm having):

Spaghetti sauce (Trader Joe's Puttanesca Sauce cooked with Italian seasoned ground turkey and mushrooms

Spaghetti Squash

Green Salad with avocado, olives, tomato, grated carrot

Some fruit

Day 16

Today (and late yesterday) began having my inner ear itch. It is my one ear that usually has problems (I usually have sinus problems on the same side). Now the ear is clogged or swollen inside. This whole time on the diet I have been crossing my fingers that I don't find out that I have to eliminate nightshades from my diet. I don't know how I'd survive without tomatoes! The allergy med I took (alleclear) seems to be helping.

Other than that, I am happy with my energy level. I worked outside this afternoon after going to the nursery for plants. I walked Cricket after dinner and cleaned up the kitchen after. I still have a big belly, especially by evening and still haven't really gone potty. I think I am not drinking enough water. I thought about what I drank today and at 7:30 pm I realized I'm about 40 ounces short. I've been chugging it now.

Breakfast: 1/2 portion chicken breast

1 cup roasted carrot chunks

I didn't really have time to fix anything and just wanted to tide myself over until after church

Brunch: 1/2 portion ahi tuna

beet, orange salad with a handful of roasted hazelnuts chopped on top

egg white smoothie (1/4 powdered egg white, 1/2 frozen banana, 4 frozen strawberries, 1/4 cherry juice, water)

So I  had the smoothie although it is controversial. I needed the extra protein in this meal and I wanted to try it out. The egg white makes it very frothy, so it's a lot of air (so VERY filling for a short time). I might want to put less water in it next time to make it more frozen. I also might try some fat in it...coconut oil or coconut milk? 

Dinner: Chicken picatta (one chicken breast cooked in olive oil, ghee, garlic, lemon, capers)

1- 1/2 cup spaghetti squash with 1 teas ghee

1 cup brocolli with 1 teas compliant mayo

I never did have fruit last night. I might tonight. I was not hungry today between meals at all. Limiting my fruit really may be helping.

Days 17,18,19,21,22

Wow. Where was I ? I haven't had time to record my food...which is also a clue that I didn't eat enough these days. But I have stayed on the plan. At least I skipped recording my whining. That was up until a day or two ago. I still had this huge stomach. HAD. Well it's still mostly there, but I feel like it is shrinking. I have REALLY wanted to weigh myself. I am more comfortable in clothes. 

I  feel more comfortable, in general. Aches are far less. Stiffness is notably less. Low grade headaches still are around, especially when I get hungry. I have really cut out the fruit after meals. I don't really even have to do it consciously, because I remember how awful I felt the days I ate a lot of fruit. Hungry. bloated and sort of gassy. I do eat apples with the cashew butter occasionally. I know I'm not supposed to snack. But when I don't eat enough for lunch, I have to have something at about 3:00 to keep me from headaches and to keep me going until I can cook. The mixture of fruit and fat seems to be agreeable and satisfying. This weekend I need to cook more to prepare for next week. Some things I ate all week were:

Spaghetti Squash and sauce (Ground Turkey and TJ Puttenesca Sauce)

Chicken Hash (sweet potato, green apple, walnuts, YUM)

Chicken Picatta

Omelettes with avocado and tomatoes

Egg White fruit smoothie

Dinner out last night (felt like a great treat to not cook!)

New York steak, grilled with sauteed mushrooms

Baked potato (brought my own Ghee!)

Steamed veggies

Green salad with beets, oil and red wine vinegar

I have also started at the Chiropractor. I've gone 2x. After the first visit, I there was noticeable improvement with my neck and shoulders. After yesterday, my second visit, I am a little tweaked. He really cracked me. I'm not sure if this is normal, or not. I go back in a couple more days. I am excited to see how I improve. He has sent me exercises to do, as well. I haven't opened up the email to see them yet.

Between how I feel on Whole 30 and the chiropractor I actually could see being able to go to a yoga class and being able to move a bit.

Today I have eaten:

Breakfast: 1 1/2 cups chicken hash

Lunch: Steak Salad (leftover steak from last night, lettuce, shredded carrot, 1/2 tomato, 1/2 avocado, TJ's Tuscan Italian dressing

Snack at 4:00: 1/2 apple with 1 Tbl cashew butter

Dinner: (Will probably be) Ahi Tuna and stir-fried veggies (snow peas, broccoli slaw mix, etc. seasoned with coconut aminos)

Day 23

Hey, my man noticed that he felt something missing this morning when he hugged me in bed...fat! I can't wait to weigh next week. :D I still have this chronic headache and now that most of the rest of me is feeling good, I'm determined to get to the bottom of it. I peruse the forums, but know that everyone's circumstances are different. It only raises more options for the cause of them. I will record more diligently my headache symptoms to see if there is another food I need to cut out of my diet. Or if it is tied to not eating enough or not drinking enough water. It simply may be sinus related (one person reported that you could have a deep sinus infection without other symptoms, and I've had an sinus infection before) or related to my neck issues. I'll give it some time with the chiropractor before I see my doctor about it, if all my other "fixes" don't work. The itchy ears are also still around occasionally.Maybe it is an environmental allergy to plants/sea fog? My mom had an allergy a doctor attributed to "night mold" from the fog that comes in from the ocean. I definitely get that where I live now.

Foods that could be suspect:

Nuts

eggs

nightshades

or ? I read these posts about FODMOP and histimine diets and don't know what the heck they are. I understand the AIP diet now.

So today I woke with a headache. I went to bed with a headache and took a couple of aspirins, which helped. Today I am not going to suffer any longer. I took a sinus pressure and pain relief med (acetaminophen and phenylephrine) We'll see what that does. I know that if I take meds all the time, I'll never know if the diet "fixes" are working so I don't plan to continue this everyday. I'm terrible about taking any vitamins or pills anyway. I forget and just deal with it most of the time.

For breakfast I had the last of the chicken hash (about 1 to 1 1/2 cups) and one egg. I'm still hungry! That just woke up my appetite. I'll have to see what I have around to eat.

Day 23 cont.

More Breakfast: 1/2-3/4 cup turkey meat puttenesca sauce mixed with 3 handfuls of fresh spinach and microwaved to cook spinach.

Lunch: 1 cup Chicken Salad (Canned Chicken, Primal Mayo, mustard, tarragon, celery, slivered almonds) over lettuce,1 small tomato, 1 small avocado 

Dinner: Grilled Pork Tenderloin (great marinade with apple juice, apple cider, olive oil, onion, fresh sage. Marinade cooked down for sauce)

Brussel Sprouts/butternut squash recipe from Whole30-2 cups

No headache noted after taking the meds in the morning.

Day 24

I noticed this morning how easy it is to just get out of bed in the morning after I wake up...no more not wanting to get up! This morning (being Sunday) I planned to sleep as much as I needed, since I am on this new early schedule during the week. I woke up naturally at a reasonable 7:30, getting 8 hours of solid sleep. I can often sleep even more, but didn't seem to need it today. I had plans to spray insecticide in the morning while it was still, so that might have also prompted me. Very slight headache this morning. I will try the allergy med to see if I notice a difference with that. Nothing like yesterday. I ended up walking Cricket for a short time (20 minutes or so) just to get her out, since I have to keep her out of the yard until the insecticide dries. Then breakfast...

1/2 of this: 3 cups spinach sauteed with 2 cups mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes in oil, garlic (in coconut oil)

2 eggs

A couple of pork tenderloin slices

15 cherries

I'm trying out the fruit in the morning again. Although breakfast wasn't eaten until 10:30.

Hi Kim, it sounds like you're really getting there! Congratulations on succeeding on your journey so far. Trust me, it does get easier as time goes on - I'm on day 40 and the results are definitely starting to show. As jmcbn says, keep the volume up - don't starve yourself - it will only make it easier for you to slip back into old patterns. Good luck!!

Thanks, WholeDave, for the pep talk! Especially today. I did not sleep well last night. Sinus headache and pressure, plus neck pain. I finally took a nighttime sinus pressure med at about 3:00 am. I hit snooze this morning 3 times. I keep wondering why these headaches and if there is something else I need to eliminate from my diet. Or is it weather-related? This isn't new, so it's not withdrawals.

Back tracking to yesterday's foods..

Lunch

Wasn't hungry and was busy working in the yard, so I didn't eat until 3:oo and had an early dinner planned with a friend. 

1 cup mixed stirfry veggies (snow peas, eggplant, broccoli slaw mix, etc. seasoned with coconut aminos) I felt bloated for a short time after that.

Dinner 

Went to a "healthy" restaurant (Nature's Grill)

1 baked potato topped with "Ranchero Chicken" (shredded chicken breast cooked in chiles and peppers) and guacamole

Dinner salad with jicama, tomato, etc and Lemon Herb house made dressing (canola oil dressing)

I forgot to ask if the dressing had sugar in it. Whoops! I was so busy talking that I didn't realize it tasted sweet until I was almost done.

Iced tea, no sugar

Later at night I had Kombucha (ginger root and lemon juice were ingredients)

Could not get to sleep easily because of sinus and maybe the tea?

Congrats on making this far!  Your progress over these 3 and a half weeks is terrific! 

The sleep thing could very well be related to the tea.  Sensitivities to lots of things seems to intensify as we get the other stuff out of our system. 

You're doing a great job and you've got this!  :)

Day 25

Sinus headache again, most pronounced at noon, maybe eating lunch will help. I'm wondering if I should try eliminating night shades? I really don't want to have to do that!

Breakfast: 2 scotch eggs from website recipe. They seemed dry alone, so I mixed up some mayo and mustard together to eat with them. Very good!

1 cup brussel sprouts and butternut squash medley leftovers

I had to make myself eat it all. 2 of those sausage/egg bombs seem like a lot in the morning! Maybe 1 1/2 next time.

Lunch: Grilled pork tenderloin

2 cups stir fry veggies (snow peas, eggplant, broccoli slaw mix, etc. seasoned with coconut aminos) 

1 apricot

Day 25, cont.

Went to the chiropractor before dinner. Walked Cricket after dinner.

Dinner : Grilled pork

1/2 sweet potato with Ghee

brussel sprouts and butternut squash

Day 26

I slept soundly and never woke last night. I took 1/2 dose nighttime sinus med to make sure I didn't battle a headache all night long.

I woke up with a sore throat which is due to a cancer sore, I think near the back of my throat or mouth. Feels like I could have a touch of a virus with some congestion. Not sure. But I took one sinus tablet and I felt great all day, once the throat calmed down. No headache! I feel so much more at ease in my body. Just more comfortable. Maybe it's because the inflammation is down...although I can't say where exactly it was. My neck is better today, too. 

Breakfast: 1 1/2 scotch egg with mayo/mustard

Brussel sprouts and butternut squash

Lunch: Chicken Salad (1 cup) on lettuce and 1 avocado

snack bag of raw baby carrots

Dinner: Sangria Beef (cubed chuck roast simmered pan with bacon pieces, chile powder, garlic, onion, salt, chipotle chilies, juice from 1 orange               and orange zest)

1/2 sweet potato

Maybe I should freeze the rest of the b. sprouts and b.squash and be done with it <_<

Now enjoying a little Kombucha before bed. Had some herbal tea earlier this evening.

Wow! Only 4 more days to go! But then what? I still don't have a plan.

Day 27

I woke with no sinus headache today. The day was sunny. No morning fog. Coincidence? I kind of blew it on the meal sizes today. I just could not bear to eat  the scotch eggs at 7:00 in the morning....or anything. So I packed it to eat mid morning at work. However, by the time I was to leave (about 7:20) I felt like I needed something so I ate the rest of my chicken salad...just a 1/2 cup or so. 

Breakfast: 1/2 cup chicken salad

Lunch: 1 1/2 scotch egg and 1 tbls mayo with mustard

Dinner: Sangria Beef

riced cauliflower sauteed in olive oil and garlic

1 artichoke with 2 tbls mayo and mustard

1 small nectarine

Not hungry today, except at lunch (which was at 11:30)

I walked for 1 hour at the harbor. Had a craving for ice cream when I passed the Ice cream shop and a dozen people eating Ice Cream cones but it soon passed.

Day 28

Another day when the 3 meals a day didn't happen as planned. I had to meet with the contractor  before work, so breakfast was a little smaller than usual. Then I had students come in before I had a chance to heat up my food for lunch and eat, but luckily I had a banana and nuts to eat. I had an incident with a co-worker that made me a bit tweaked, but even more so because I was STARVING and didn't get my lunch. And THEN I left it there. By the time I go back to that location next Tuesday, I'll just have to throw it out.  :angry: Driving home I felt foggy and out-of-it. I thought it was because I woke up extra early this morning (on my own) at 5:30. But after I ate I had energy enough to go on a brisk walk and get things done.

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with leftover spinach, mushrooms, and sun dried tomatoes

Lunch-ish: 1 banana

handful of mixed nuts

Late Lunch: pork tenderloin and 1 cup stirfry vegetables (leftovers)

1 apricot and a few cherries

Dinner: Sangria beef and cauliflower rice

The Late lunch and Dinner portions weren't  as big as l would normally have at a meal.

Headache was slight today. Went to chiropractor and he really cracked me. Oww. I thought I might take some ibupropen, but forgot...I didn't end up needing it.

Two more days...unless I decide to continue with eliminating nightshades, too.

So today I decided to eat no nightshades, in case I decide to go that route. Better to start now...

I tweaked my shoulder somehow at work and was in so much pain with that and my neck issues, I made an appt for a massage. The masseuse was amazing. She really helped my carpel tunnel arm, but not sure how long it will last. Matt says that it seems I have more problems since I've started the chiropractor. I think that I am just evaluating how I feel more and noticing...and talking about it. I can live with a lot of discomfort. I hear him whine when he has an occasional headache, while I have a near constant sinus headache and have only recently even mentioned them to him. ;)

Breakfast: 2 eggs and 1/2 avocado

Lunch: Pork Tenderloin with pan butter (ghee) sauce and Riced Cauliflower

Dinner: Green Salad with shredded carrots, 1/2 avocado, celery, 3 large green olives, balsamic vinaigrette (vinegar, oilive oil, and mixed dried herbs)

Salmon cooked in coconut oil

Green beans with ghee 

Day 30

Add to last night...1 apricot and 7 cherries.

Well, I made it. Where are the donuts? Honestly, I'm staying on this and upping the deprivation by eliminating nightshades  :( . At least until I get a response from someone in the forum where I posted about my sinus headaches and the nightshade question. This is Day 2 of Nightshade Elimination. I wonder if I should eliminate eggs, too? That is just TOO much. No headache today, but I have some pressure.

I've had a lovely day so far. Got up early (6:30 on a Saturday. Underheard of!)  to drive up the coast for a beautiful seaside walk with Matt and Cricket. I had to put something in my stomach and had a banana and small handful of nuts before we left...plus coffee. It was a little bit of a bummer, at first when we wanted to get breakfast afterward. There was a little breakfast stand at the beach campground, but little I could eat, unless I asked them to just scramble me eggs. So we went somewhere else we hadn't tried (with a patio for the dog), Traveler's Cafe. They had all kinds of yummy baked goods and Belgian waffles, etc. But nothing more than scrambled eggs and fruit there for me. Any veggies were peppers and tomatoes. So THEN we went somewhere else and they had omelettes, many I could choose from, sans cheese. Awesome! I asked about the eggs..if they add milk or anything and the waitress said no (gotta trust!) So breakfast was great, even though they give you the option of toast, etc, and Fresh Baked BANANA BREAD! Come ON! I ordered it with my breakfast but gave it to Matt to have later. 

Even though I didn't get my usual sleep last night (I got about 6 hours) I feel pretty good today, so far (2:00 Pm) Whoops!...still haven't eaten lunch (breakfast was about 10:30)

Pre-walk: 1 banana

small handful of mixed nuts

2 cups coffee

Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with tri-tip, mushrooms, and onion. 1/4 avocado on top

mixed fresh fruit (cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries, honey dew) 1 1/2 cups

2 cups coffee

More to come

Archived