Lemon juice: a warning and a question

newwhole30er

First the warning. I never thought to check the ingredients on 100% lemon juice, but I happened to look at the back of my Real Lemon bottle the other day and it contains sulfites! So did two other store brands I checked. Check your lemon juice!

Now the question. Are there ANY brands of bottled lemon juice that are compliant?

I juiced a bunch of lemons at once and found a bottle to store them. It makes it hard to judge how much to use when a recipe calls for "the juice of one lemon," but it's less of a problem to add a little too much/little lemon juice than it is with some spices. And, when you think about it, different lemons are different sizes anyway.

This was a big bummer for me, too. :(

• Moderators

I've never seen bottled lemon juice without sulphites... I think it's what stops it from turning color in the bottle.

That said, 2 tbsp (tablespoons) is about the juice of half a lemon, give or take how big the lemon is... 

• Moderators

I get bottled lemon juice at my grocery store that is just lemon juice. The stuff I buy is not with the Real Lemon bottles, but in a section of the store devoted to juices. I think it is organic. 

I avoid naming brands because it undermines studying ingredient labels and can be misleading because vendors may offer a compliant version in one region and not in another. 

You may have to look for organic juice. Or juice a lemon.

Not THAT!!! ;-)

Haha, I know, this is just me being lazy, but I loved the convenience of just pouring some juice into water vs. getting out a cutting board and knife, cutting, squeezing, throwing the lemon away, washing the cutting board and knife...

• Administrators

Not THAT!!! ;-)

Haha, I know, this is just me being lazy, but I loved the convenience of just pouring some juice into water vs. getting out a cutting board and knife, cutting, squeezing, throwing the lemon away, washing the cutting board and knife...

LOL!

Cut lemon into quarters or sixths...however thick you like it.  Reassemble lemon and hold together with rubber band. Put in zippy bag or container in fridge. Remove lemon chunk as needed, keeping other pieces cozy together to prevent drying out. Only wash cutting board & knife once.  :)

• Moderators

If I want lemon water, I just slice a round piece off from the end and then put the left over lemon face down on a plate... and then I rinse the knife in running water and put it away... I find that it's much fresher tasting than the bottled stuff.

LOL!

Cut lemon into quarters or sixths...however thick you like it.  Reassemble lemon and hold together with rubber band. Put in zippy bag or container in fridge. Remove lemon chunk as needed, keeping other pieces cozy together to prevent drying out. Only wash cutting board & knife once.   :)

Oh, that's a good idea...

SugarcubeOD, on 29 Jun 2016 - 6:06 PM, said:

If I want lemon water, I just slice a round piece off from the end and then put the left over lemon face down on a plate... and then I rinse the knife in running water and put it away... I find that it's much fresher tasting than the bottled stuff.

This is my method, too.

I know a few years back I had used a product that was dehydrated lemon, orange, and lime in the form of crystals or powder, it was in the grocery store in a box of little packets, similar to individual sugar packets, except just citrus crystals to add to tea or water. I don't know if it's w30 compliant because I haven't used them since awhile ago, but I know that I still see them carried in my grocery store, and they were delicious.

• Moderators

I know of them too and I looked at them at one point when I found them in my cupboard and immediately chucked them... I can't remember why but I do remember thinking 'I thought this was only...' Fresh lemon/lime/orange/grapefruit/insert citrus is sooooo much better! and with pretty thin slices, cheaper too! Plus it's 'packaging' is compostable.... win!

• Administrators

This is my method, too.

I know a few years back I had used a product that was dehydrated lemon, orange, and lime in the form of crystals or powder, it was in the grocery store in a box of little packets, similar to individual sugar packets, except just citrus crystals to add to tea or water. I don't know if it's w30 compliant because I haven't used them since awhile ago, but I know that I still see them carried in my grocery store, and they were delicious.

Yes, True Lemon, True Lime and True Graprefruit are compliant.  True Orange is not as it has added sugar. 

There's def more processing in those though than just slicing the fruit yourself.

• Moderators

Yes, True Lemon, True Lime and True Graprefruit are compliant.  True Orange is not as it has added sugar. 

There's def more processing in those though than just slicing the fruit yourself.

Oh, interesting, I was sure that I chucked them out in a fit of rage because it said 'only lime' but then there were other things... good to know!

• Administrators

I bought bottled lime juice to make mayo for this same reason.

Lime mayo is the BEST!!!!!!!!!  I have been too nervous to experiment in upping the limey-factor for fear it breaks.  The limier the better as far as I'm concerned.

The other trouble with the fresh fruits for making mayo is that the acid content isn't consistent so even though you might squeeze 2 tbsp of lime juice from one week to the next, you may not get the same results.

I prefer fresh-squeezed lemon like most folks, but I do like to keep a bottle in the fridge just in case I forget to buy lemons, or I get a particularly dry one, or I decide to make something that uses up all my lemons and then I need to make mayo. It's been known to happen. :rolleyes:

Archived