Pork belly

Caitibird

So the other day I went into a local butcher shop that sells grass-fed cuts of meat. I asked if they had sugar free bacon, and the guy was very nice and knew exactly why I was asking, I had a feeling I wasn't the only Whole30er who had come in those doors.  They unfortunately didn't have any sugar free bacon, but he led me to their selection of pre-cut pork belly, stating it was essentially the same, just not cured/flavored. So I bought some and now I have this pork belly that I'm not entirely sure what to do with. Should I find a sugar-free curing recipe and cure it myself? Or should I just cook it up like I would normal bacon sans smokey flavor? What would you guys do?

• Moderators

Google is going to be your best bet here... I bought a piece of pork belly and while I stuck it in the freezer because I didn't have time to use it, I had looked up a bunch of Whole30 pork belly recipes... they're out there and it just depends on what you want to do with it and how much mucking about you're willing to do... you can brine and then bake and then fry it, just bake it, just fry it... take a poke around the internet and see what you can find...

This google search has recipes from Mel Joulwan of Well Fed/Well Fed 2 fame, Stupid Easy Paleo and others.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=whole30%20pork%20belly%20recipe

This pork belly recipe is spectacular: http://www.carbwarscookbooks.com/spiced-pork-belly/ Just swap out the white wine for the juice of a lemon, or a splash of vinegar.  It's not bacon-y tasting, but it's delish...  and the leftovers would be great with eggs or veggies for breakfast!

Biggest thing with pork belly is: crisp the layer of fat on top, don't skip that step.  The fat, when it's seared and caramelized, adds a whole other layer of flavor to the meat.  NOM.  Let us know what you decide to do with it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived