Junebugs 2016 - Pressing On!!

I've been absent s few days but here it goes.  Lost 12 pounds!  I had some sushi on Friday so I had rice and soy sauce.  I know we are supposed to do one at a time but the rice was minimal.  I seemed to have know problem with that.  I plan to stay mostly compliant because I feel great.  I know on the 4th I will have an adult beverage as I have to work straight through tomorrow and then I have 2 days off.

I am so happy to see so many of us here!!!!

how do we have soy sauce without rice?  

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone...Im here!! 

GREAT RESULTS, everyone!!  

As for my victories, I would have to say calmer moods, much much more energy, clearer thoughts (and a LONG honey-do list as a result!) clear skin and stronger healthy hair are at the top of my NSVs. The skin thing is a big deal for me, as I have had acne breakouts most of my adult life. I lost 3 lbs. this round (lost 13 during my first W30) and I am happy with this. Im a tall human and feel like I am at the right weight for my height. 

Reintroduced rice last night. Woke up at 3 am with a bad bad bad tummy ache....this happened last time too but my body adjusted after a while. SSoooooo I know my body doesnt like rice. But my mouth does! I made an awesome jerk chicken with broc, jasmine rice and fried plantains for dinner last night...plantains. OMG. the best thing ever when fried in coconut oil!!

What's next?  I cant remember who said they stay on plan for the most part but allow themselves the occasional coconut flour waffle or banana ice cream every now and then.  I, too, plan on trying this method but I know I cannot make any sort of paleo bread, cookies or paleo fudge,that sort of thing. Any way you wrap it, those are No Brakes items for me. My joy now comes from knowing I am fueling my body with healthy fats, veggies, meats!!  And plantains!!

Onward, people!! 

Kelli

that really blows about the rice.  

what did you have with it? was it on plan stuff or regular butter? 

Is anyone going to eat regular butter? 

the plantains I've had the best success with are the yellow ones. 

they come in two kinds. some like the hard green ones some prefer the sweet yellow with the spots. 

I had a green one an my neighbor told me to weight for it to get yellow..  took for ever, I mean over a week.  

well, I learned. she tried to teach me before about how to choose them.  so go for the yellow, not like they are going to turn brown like banana or get soft.  just ripe..   

I haven't been reintroducing on plan.. :(  I'm not mad, just can't go it not being the cook..    scary and I'll be mad if I blow up like a puffer fish..  

I ate chips today.. I have no taste for salty potatoes. they were disgusting,   (but I finished the bag, in 3 different sittings) husband told me to just wait and see how I feel.  so, I did..   they still felt like a bag of salt.. so so so much salt.. 

too many doctors worried about people gettting stung out on drugs and those of us that need them, we don't get them. Have to suffer.. it's not nice. incision has small infection and hoping I can ward it off with sterile gauze and bacitracin..;( 

Motrin..ha. like drinking water to me. does nothing for pain. 

I think for me to really get these whole benefits, I have to do a whole 30.  there is just a lot going on with the body to try to heal and figure out if this is good or this is not as good.

Tytbody I am going to finish up my ghee that I have made and then I am not sure.  I don't plan on reintroducing a whole lot of stuff because first of all I feel great and secondly I am scared.  I don't want to be the way I was, tired and cranky.  I also know that if I have some of my old foods then I will start craving other things.  If I have a sandwich, then I will want chips and so on.  I feel that when I eliminated all these foods with the Whole 30 my cravings for the really "bad" stuff went away.

Maybe I need to learn some self discipline or maybe I am like an alcoholic, I can't just have one drink or I will go back into it.  I really don't know but mentally I am not prepared to try.

yesterday, I had a steak and pepper sandwich..  I think it's the bread.. I was told to stop gluten before and I don't know if it's the gluten or sugar in the bread.  I know it wasn't the meat..   I had gas that was leave the room style.    

is that a sign you're allergic or have low tolerance to something? getting gas..  cause I swear, I don't remember having it when i was eating my template food. Of if I did, I didn't think much of it..    this is making me wonder what is going on with everything I eat...  

I think I will stick with the Ghee because, it tastes as good as butter.. and I'll stick wth the mayo from Primal, no sugar ...  

I had a good hot dog the other day, no sugar no extras and it was good. had it on a bun and i don't recall gas.. I think I have to test again today. 

all of you out with family, please enjoy your smiles and wrap them up so you can think about them on a rainy day. 

Omg, what a night.  I introduced legumes the other day including about 4 bites of my daughter's taco meat that had some black beans in it.  that was a big mistake!  I was up ALL NIGHT with horrible gas pains, the worst I've ever had in my life.  I've never experienced anything like that.  it went on and on with very little 'release'.  awake till 4 am!  Feel like crap today. 

Back on the template for a few days till I feel better again.  

Hi, I want to join the fun. I did my 5th Whole30 (in about 4 years) from May 30-June 28. (I think those dates are right.)

I have already been tracking my reintros in my Whole30 log (in my bio). To summarize, I started with GF grains, and I think corn is not my friend. Did alcohol Sat night, which we all know is no one's friend. (But my Whole30-doing friends wanted to get together and have a celebratory drink and otherwise compliant meal, and it was too fun to pass up!)

Yesterday, outside of my scheduled reintro days, I had a restaurant meal that I know contained at least dairy, maybe soy and gluten. Whatever it was, my body noticed. Ugh. So I am going to W30 a few days until Tiger Blood resumes, then continue with reintroing gluten and dairy.

Also, yesterday, I displayed mastery of Melissa's One Bite Rule. :D I was out with my mom and daughter, and they each got a smoothie. I tasted one sip of each of theirs. The sugar hit was so powerful, I did not want another sip. (And I was thirsty! I had nothing to drink myself.) Later at that restaurant, my mom ordered creme brulee, and I tasted one bite, and decided further bites would not be worth it. (And I'm a creme brulee freak!) This is the HUGEST victory, as my primary issue with food is an insatiable sugar dragon. :D :D

I hope everyone is having a great 4th.  My neighborhood is popping with fireworks (not legal) but oh well.  I am having a glass of pinot noir and now I am craving all things that go with red wine, cheese, pasta etc.  I have reintroduced soy in small amounts.  We use a basting oil at work that is soy oil and almost all the veggies are cooked with it and since I spend most of my time there I figured I would give that a try.  So far so good.  I have had no gluten or sugars.  I am almost positive that those are my triggers, well, except for wine.

I have lost a few more pounds, the 5K training is helping with that.

Here's to the red, white and blue.  Oh wait, I am having the red, lol.

Omg, what a night.  I introduced legumes the other day including about 4 bites of my daughter's taco meat that had some black beans in it.  that was a big mistake!  I was up ALL NIGHT with horrible gas pains, the worst I've ever had in my life.  I've never experienced anything like that.  it went on and on with very little 'release'.  awake till 4 am!  Feel like crap today. 

Back on the template for a few days till I feel better again.  

You know the saying, Beans, beans, the more you eat, the more you....  I used to get cramps like that all the time.  I don't know if it was dairy, gluten or what.  I have been eating eggs every day since starting the whole 30 and have not had that happen at all which blows ( a little pun) my mind.  I have had soy in the legume family and have been fine so far.  Those pains are horrible, I'd rather give birth, that is how bad mine have been in the past.  It's amazing as I read how everyone's reintroduction is going that I realize how many things have changed for the better.  I haven't thought about those cramps until you posted and that I haven't had them.  Another win in the Whole 30 column!

Anyone else go a little crazy on the 4th?

I brought my own (mostly clean) hot dogs to the cookout, but gave into Dad's BBQ instead. Even after I read the ingredients on his MSG-laden dry rub. It also contained soybean oil. How on earth (and WHYYYY) do they even put soybean oil into a dry rub????

And on top of that, he put super sweet HFCS-filled BBQ sauce on everything. And it was SO DELICIOUS. I got SO FULL. Turns out coating meat in highly refined sugar makes it food with no brakes. Who knew? ;)

(On a positive note, I did one-bite-rule the HECK out of my mom's Oreo cream cheese dessert) :D

You know the saying, Beans, beans, the more you eat, the more you....  I used to get cramps like that all the time.  I don't know if it was dairy, gluten or what.  I have been eating eggs every day since starting the whole 30 and have not had that happen at all which blows ( a little pun) my mind.  I have had soy in the legume family and have been fine so far.  Those pains are horrible, I'd rather give birth, that is how bad mine have been in the past.  It's amazing as I read how everyone's reintroduction is going that I realize how many things have changed for the better.  I haven't thought about those cramps until you posted and that I haven't had them.  Another win in the Whole 30 column!

You used to get cramps like that all the time?!?!  how did you stand it!  That's what I said to my daughter...I'd rather give birth! ugh!  Feeling so much better today after 2 days of template.Thanks for the support and reminder about beans!  I might just stay away from them from now on.  not what I expected!! 

Anyone else go a little crazy on the 4th?

I brought my own (mostly clean) hot dogs to the cookout, but gave into Dad's BBQ instead. Even after I read the ingredients on his MSG-laden dry rub. It also contained soybean oil. How on earth (and WHYYYY) do they even put soybean oil into a dry rub????

And on top of that, he put super sweet HFCS-filled BBQ sauce on everything. And it was SO DELICIOUS. I got SO FULL. Turns out coating meat in highly refined sugar makes it food with no brakes. Who knew? ;)

(On a positive note, I did one-bite-rule the HECK out of my mom's Oreo cream cheese dessert) :D

Yes!  BBQ sauce is definitely one of those things I missed with grilling season in full swing!  I had some grilled hot italian sausage (no msg as far as I can tell...unless that's what 'natural seasonings' actually means?) with some Annies bbq sauce and a huge salad with tessamaes.  I actually LOVE Tessamaes dressings now and might not return to the ole standby, Ceasars.   OH and BEER!  an awesome craft stout.  Feel good so far this morning but we'll see.  

Katrine I did get them a lot.  It would double me over, however they didn't last like yours did.  I found "relief" much quicker (much to the dismay of whomever was in the room with me).  When I had my tubal ligation done they explained to me that they would inflate my belly and warned me that after surgery I could feel bloated and crampy.  They also added that I could feel it all the way into my shoulders.  I said "Oh, I get gas cramps like that and I feel it in my shoulders."  The nurse looked at me like I had 2 heads or something.  She said "Really?!?!"  I thought until that time that it was normal to get pains like that from gas.  I could never pinpoint the trigger because it didn't matter what I ate.  Now I have few ideas what the culprits are, gluten, diet soda and dairy, or a combination of those which is another reason for me to stay mostly compliant.

As far as giving birth, at least I had a baby at the end!

I'm doing good so far! I reintroduced dairy yesterday- had some cheese on my salad and burger! So far I feel fine, we'll see how the next few days go. I like eating template in between, it helps me stay on track. I really don't want to go back to my old eating habits, that's why I'm still not eating added sugar. I was tempted with the cookies the last few days, but I stayed strong. Gotta keep my sugar dragon starved!

Hi Staggolee, 

is that like that song? in the olden days. 

How are you doing so far? you say you started on June 20, I had to stop on June June 20. but i'm sticking with this group.  as they reintroduce and I decide whether to start a new 30 or pick up up... 

Thanks for saying hi! Yes, it refers to the song - I think you are the first person ever to get that reference.  :D I like the more recent Pacific Gas & Electric version myself.

Doing well, day 16 here. Sorry to hear that you had to stop, but more power to you for staying true to fundamentals while you heal. If you need encouragement, let me know! :)

Thanks for saying hi! Yes, it refers to the song - I think you are the first person ever to get that reference.  :D I like the more recent Pacific Gas & Electric version myself.

Doing well, day 16 here. Sorry to hear that you had to stop, but more power to you for staying true to fundamentals while you heal. If you need encouragement, let me know! :)

i remember the song and I liked it I will have to listen to it again to see why you like this so much., 

I'll check on youtube to see your version:) 

I'e changed for sure.  I will always look at the food on my plate and decide, yes or no or how much.    

​I finally  understand the oreo reference.. the ingredients that they put have stuff n them to make your body not stop..  that is certainly a no brake for me and i will not buy them ever.  no matter how pretty they look ..

Yesterday,I did have my compliant hot dog Did I say that already?   it's the applegates and a I had HFC ginger ale..  what a waste...  i won't be drinking that either. 

Plantains become dark when ripe -- sort of like bananas but they take longer (I've found) to get there. I usually cant wait so I fry them when they get a couple spots and are just getting to a be brownish color. They are starchier than bananas and not as sweet so I guess the process takes longer.

Sorry Earoti and JT about the wine turning into 3 glasses and the resulting issues!! Learning to ride our own bikes sometimes takes some practice...so wear your bike helmet in case you crash!!  I'd forgotten this reintroduction can be challenging when eating combinations of food groups too...I ate some honey yesterday and then some coconut milk ice cream which had agave in it. Then a beer (wheat). Need to focus on eating a food group, then back to W30 for two days to see how it effects me...not eat a food group (my first reintro was RICE) then eat honey/sugar/wheat the following days! Ugh. 

After all that, I felt the pre-migraine aura/zig zagging lose of vision thing happening. So I went away to a dark room and relaxed and it never really came on. I dont know how that happened but I am thankful. Havent had one in several years!!

Happy July 3rd, June Buggers!!

Kelli

what I don't like about the reintroduction instructions it's like an overdose  of what ever you are reintroducing. .I mean who wants to have pasta, beans and bread in the same day?   how can you separate which one is the culprit? 

A lot of foods do come together like Chinese food..  soy soy soy.. oh boy...  

I knew there was something about bbq that had no brakes and didn't know what it was, so it's the HFC in it..       that's one food paste I can only eat once.  where as if it were spinach or broccoli or bacon, I can always go for more. 

Yes!  BBQ sauce is definitely one of those things I missed with grilling season in full swing!  I had some grilled hot italian sausage (no msg as far as I can tell...unless that's what 'natural seasonings' actually means?) with some Annies bbq sauce and a huge salad with tessamaes.  I actually LOVE Tessamaes dressings now and might not return to the ole standby, Ceasars.   OH and BEER!  an awesome craft stout.  Feel good so far this morning but we'll see.  

I think if it were going to beat you up you're butt would already be fired  up.. sounds like you're okay on these :)    

i remember the song and I liked it I will have to listen to it again to see why you like this so much., 

I'll check on youtube to see your version:) 

I started using the name as a username when I was 20 years old and thought that being a bad@$$ was the coolest thing ever. Over time, it has come to mean something else to me - through the plot of the song, Staggolee is (while being a 'bad man') straightforward and relentless, often challenging the status quo to do what he thinks he should do. He's fearless, and that makes people fear him. I still use it because I like to break rules (in calculated ways, for the right reasons), be straightforward, pursue fearlessness, and be honest with myself that there is a 'bad' side to me that is a part of the whole me.

TJCarlson, that is wonderful about your cholesterol and triglycerides! And your HDL going down is a licence to eat lots more guacamole, right? I am eager for my cholesterol bw next month, which is incentive to stay on plan.

I've been pretty much taking it slow, I did have ice cream the other day. It was okay. I was really worried about setting off my cravings, and it wasn't really good enough to go off plan for (Baskin Robbins as opposed to something more fancy I guess). Had some mild GI reactions to the milk which I guess I used to think were normal. I thought everyone walked around with gas in their intestines. Not nearly as severe as it would be if I had a lot of plain milk, but I can definitely tell the difference in lack of gas/bloat when not on the plan. So that was informative, and tells me that with excellent cheese or ice cream that is truly worth it, proceed with caution. I am thinking of re-trying plain kefir to broaden my morning protein options, but haven't felt like getting a whole bottle of it yet.

And yesterday we had corn on the cob with Whole30 compliant hot dogs for the 4th. And you know what - the corn tasted so sweet, I couldn't even finish it! No adverse reactions, just SO much sweetness. I cut the rest off the cob, gave some to my daughter and am having the rest on an otherwise Whole30-compliant salad with savory olives to counter the sweet taste. I've been experimenting with pickled hard-boiled eggs for a fast protein source, and made a batch recently with beets, so I have a bit of sliced beet and eggs on the salad too. All the pickled egg/beet recipes I could find had sugar or honey so I just omitted that ingredient. Can you tell I am looking forward to lunch?

I may experiment a bit more with cheese in the coming days, but seem to have developed a healthy (and/or fear-based) aversion to bread and gluten-containing grains. So that will probably be one of the last things. I think I'm more afraid of bread setting off my sugar cravings than any immediate response/bloat.

Haven't dabbled in legumes yet, but that will be coming. Expecting similar reaction as with dairy. On my "want to try sometime soon" list are black beans and hummus, but it doesn't feel urgent.

Currently hydrating with decaf iced tea (no sweetener), mint I actually thought to plant and grow this year, and a slice of lime. I will be fancy and call it a "mojito iced tea."

I started using the name as a username when I was 20 years old and thought that being a bad@$$ was the coolest thing ever. Over time, it has come to mean something else to me - through the plot of the song, Staggolee is (while being a 'bad man') straightforward and relentless, often challenging the status quo to do what he thinks he should do. He's fearless, and that makes people fear him. I still use it because I like to break rules (in calculated ways, for the right reasons), be straightforward, pursue fearlessness, and be honest with myself that there is a 'bad' side to me that is a part of the whole me.

i just listened.. goodness he was a BA..  https://youtu.be/Kl4vmY7Gb_w    I'm scared of you....  but if his neck didn't break why did they still burry him? 

Archived