Junebugs 2016 - Pressing On!!

went to a music festival yesterday.  luckily there were template options...sort of.  Italian sausage with peppers and onions, no bun.  But later in the day I had half a serving of small curly fries, just to see what would happen and, well, cuz they looked and smelled so good.  kinda disappointed actually.  no ill effects today except a little more tired and sluggish this morning.  going out to dinner with a friend tonight, there will be template dishes available at the restaurant and we will probably have a glass of wine with dinner.  

Its so great to see all of your efforts during reintroduction.  I am definitely gonna avoid the beans, corn and grains for a while.  I'm just not interested.  Kind of afraid of dairy, but gonna try some yogurt soon I think.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you're feeling better BigMamma! I feel back to normal now as well...those corn tortilla chips (or whatever it was) that I reacted to are out of my system and since yesterday afternoon, I've felt great again! I'm basically staying complaint now until Tuesday, when I think I'm going to try dairy for the first time with some milk in my coffee. I'm not wanting to add back milk in my coffee on a daily basis, but I'd like to know how I react to it in case I want a latte from Starbucks every now and then. We'll see!!!

Still feeling good...I had real mayo on some tuna yesterday.  I also had a sliver of chocolate cake.  That was the first "sweet" I've had and I didn't want anymore.  Plus it just didn't taste as good as it used to.

5K training is not quite going as planned.  I have tremendous pain in my upper back and neck when I try to run.  I'm not sure if it is tightness or the high intensity of running so for now I am power walking.  I am going to go to the gym with my future daughter in law and try an elliptical to see if that is any better.

The alternative is that I start playing Pokémon Go.  We live near a gym and you should see the wackjobs driving around, yes I said driving, with their cell phones up trying to catch Pokémon.  I could walk around the neighborhood and try to "Catch Them All."  lol

Oy. Last week was my daughter's birthday, AKA, my reason why I said to my wife about the Whole 30, "If we're gonna do it, we need to be done by July 7," and we started June 1. I'm just going to do a Seinfeld "yada yada yada" here and skip to lessons learned:

• Fortunately/unfortunately, I seem to experience no physical discomfort after eating sugar, wheat or dairy if the dairy is processed (such as an ingredient in baked goods/birthday cake).

• If there is leftover cake in the house, I will eat it over the course of a day or two (sharing with family) until it is gone.

• If my daughter has a friend over and wants to make brownies from scratch and finds all the ingredients herself, and I see no reason not to let her, and if it is during the time in between her actual birthday (a Thursday) and her sleepover birthday party (Sat/Sun) - I will consume many of the said brownies.

• If I make chocolate chip pancakes for daughter and guests at said sleepover, I will eat some/many.

So - my intent today is to start a Whole5 reboot process (I made up that term, I think) (except that now I REALLY want one of those blondies they sell at the place by work that I've been looking forward to since starting the Whole30 and haven't had yet. So maybe I'll do that, get it over with, and then start a Whole5. Even typing this sentence I realize I sound like an addict wanting just one more hit before going into rehab. This is my massively ferocious awakened sugar dragon speaking loud and clear. I need to spend some time wrestling with the  notion of the psychological impact of sugar - specifically, on me.)

Anyway. I had a high protein breakfast today and plan to get a nice Whole30 compliant salad for lunch. I need to get back on track either before or directly after I scratch this one "chocolate chip blondie" itch I've had since about June 1.

Well I binged this weekend. :( I thought I could just taste my 5YO’s cotton candy kettle corn from the farmer’s market (at her constant request) but I could not. Then I thought I could just eat two cookies, but I could not. Being an abstainer SUCKS. :(

New rules: 

No eating sweets in the house unless there is only one serving available.

Find SOME OTHER WAY to console myself when I’m PMSy and depressed. 

I just got back from a weekend in Vegas celebrating my best friend's 30th birthday! It was a blast, but impossible to eat whole 30 so everything went out the window this weekend. Needless to say I'm not feeling too good today! It's going to be hard to get back after all the delicious things I ate this weekend, but I feel ready to as well because I feel pretty bad!

it's a battle battle battle ..  You all made me smile today.. the Brownies, the 30th B party, and the cotton candy...  SherriC, lol you win for the biggest belly roll laugh I can muster up today..

I have no words of encouragement because today, 'm going to Red Lobster and enjoy those darn little sea food delicacies with who knows what kind of oil they use for that scampi and other stuff.. 

I think, for me, I've not eaten at Red Lobster all year. .I'm going to enjoy it.  

Since today is my anniversary and husband and I are on the rocks,   WTF.. yes, food will be my pleasure reason for eating it today.. I have to keep a smile on my face and it's up to me. 

It's cheaper then buying Jewelry, a pocketbook or a mani-pedi..    yup. that's my Tude today..  

Tytbody Happy Belated Anniversary!  I hope you enjoyed your R.L.!  Last night I had some corn chips with some guacamole.  Feeling good, mentally and physically.

My stay-cation is pretty blah.  At least I am not at work.  I want to do something but no one is available so I might drive to the beach tomorrow.  Today I have a bunch of errands and 5K training, otherwise a pretty quiet day.

Trying dairy for first time today ---- a latte from starbucks.  I never plan on adding back milk in my coffee at home or on a regular basis because I know from a previous similar elimination diet I did a few years ago that it affects my digestion and complexion (at least back then it did), but I want to test it now because if hubby and I are on the road or on vacation, I might want a latte.  We will see how it goes!  

Tytbody Happy Belated Anniversary!  I hope you enjoyed your R.L.!  Last night I had some corn chips with some guacamole.  Feeling good, mentally and physically.

My stay-cation is pretty blah.  At least I am not at work.  I want to do something but no one is available so I might drive to the beach tomorrow.  Today I have a bunch of errands and 5K training, otherwise a pretty quiet day.

it turned out better then I imagined. We didn't go to RL but found a place closer and more my style.  I like th wood glossy tables and the wood beams in places like that. Seems the sea food tastes better..     no tuxedos. lol    

and I'm awake to say, I feel good. Nothing is bad in my stomach..   So onward to Lobster and maybe butter. I don't know.  

and one Sangria..  ;)  

Thanks for asking BigMomma.   

it is a beautiful day. I like it when it's 70s.. In my neck of the woods I have some tree shade and a little porch that holds 2 chairs.   s. the dog and I are sitting here in our PJs. thanking God for a New Year, another day to be kind to people. Another day to be grateful I can walk. and another day he woke me up from watching over me sleep.   I'm pretty happy and I'm going to stay this way.  At least for today.. lol 

Oh, I even had the zucchini and squash and potato salad..  It wasn't loaded with mayonnaise and I like it that way..  

So that latte this morning sure didn't taste as good as I remembered! I guess I'm used to the stronger coffee now without all the milk to water it down. :) I didn't have any horrible reaction --- just felt so full and slightly bloated after drinking it. But it just didn't taste all that good. So back to strict W30 for now until I feel like trying something else!

Hi again. This "riding my own bike" thing is not easy! I am working on my "sugar dragon." And continuing to learn. Monday after I wrote, I did have that chocolate chip blondie I'd been fantasizing about since pre-Whole30. (The lunch place by work switched to a new baker for a few months and stopped selling them - then switched back and got them again right AFTER I'd started the Whole30.) And it was very satisfying. And once I was done, I was done. Until.... I got home and my wife had brought home a QUART of ice cream that she thought wouldn't tempt me because it was milk chocolate (instead of darker) and had Reeses in it (I dislike the pieces, but not the cups). Anyway - wrong about it not tempting me. One bowl and I wanted more. So I had another bowl! It was delicious but awful, and I know what a terrible example I am setting for our daughter. Yesterday I was Whole30 all the way - until after dinner - because there was a bunch of ice cream left in that quart! So - two bowls again last night, and I kept wanting more.

Anyway - I did something empowering. I asked my wife and daughter to do me a favor. To please for now stick to single servings from Baskin Robbins and not bring it into the house. Message was received with much support. "She said, I didn't think you'd like that kind - but it's like me with a plate of donuts, isn't it?" I said yes - it's not my favorite. But what if it were not your favorite kind of donuts, sitting out for two days. You'd still want them all, wouldn't you?" Yes. She would. So - I feel understood and supported. And it will be helpful not to have all that crap in the house!

I do want to allow myself an occasional blondie/brownie thing. Because I buy one and then I'm finished. But no more than once a week. I think. Otherwise - I'm doing the good Whole30 things. Had delicious eggs over avocado and sweet potato this morning, salad with protein and plans for meat & veggies for dinner. Have almonds and fruit by my side for "sugar methadone"). And will go make some decaf iced tea now in the work pantry. (I have lime and mint for my iced tea today. I call this concoction: The Very Disappointing Mojito).

sstrayer - thanks for sharing your Starbucks experiment! I've been having iced decaf Americanos with nothing. Used to have them with soy milk. Can hardly get plain iced decaf anywhere. They make you upgrade to espresso. Can sprinkle in cinnamon anyway.

Hi tytbodyin30 and BigMamma and others!

It's hard taking the training wheels off! (To me the "slip & go back to day 1" was the biggest motivator/strongest training wheel.). So I'm falling a few times and getting back up. Learning resilience - just like I am trying to teach my daughter (in other life areas!)

Wow SherriC -- I wouldn't have been able to survive even 1 minute if I had chocolate peanut butter ice cream in the house!  That would DEFINITELY be my downfall!  Don't be too hard on yourself.  You'll get back on track!  

Oh my. That one blondie (choc chip brownie) on Monday has apparently classical-conditioned me to crave a blondie after lunch EVERY workday. I've resisted. Today I am having an iced decaf Americano with cinnamon on it, and almonds instead. It's not the same, but it's getting me thru this one! Definitely a learning opportunity - for observing and dealing with my sugar dragon's many wiley ways. I keep thinking - what a first world problem this is. How fortunate I am to have such delicious fruit, veggies, meat, eggs & good fats in my fridge (and pantry and counter). And such an over-abundance of opportunities for sweets.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been around here in a while... Long story short: In the war between feeling good and having good flavors in my mouth, good flavors is winning. Having trouble breaking the cycle after several indulgences. I just want to eat crap and feel ok about it like everyone else I know does!

Ugh! I haven't been around in a while. My plank challenge has failed, about 9 days in my back just hurt too bad. I have been climbing stairs most days though.

Reintroduction has not gone well either. I've been totally off track for a week now. It appears I can eat Whole30 plus yogurt and cheese. That's all. Everything else makes my joins hurt, gives me a foggy head and/or feeds the sugar dragon. I'm trying to get back to Whole30 but my motivation is not great. I've done well today though. Hopefully, I will be able to keep it up.

This IS the reintroduction group..., right? :huh:

dah.. on my part..   Yes, it is. I think when it came in my email on my phone it said it was the whole30, our beginning group..

I apologize. on the computer now and yes, this IS the reintroduction group.

you know what is says is Whole 30 again. on the topic.  

But i'm doing well.  I'm not completely on the whole 30,. 

Best I can do is try...  I just ate some strawberries and whip cream.  

that's not whole 30. but it's fruit and I like it.. 

• Administrators

Haven't been around here in a while... Long story short: In the war between feeling good and having good flavors in my mouth, good flavors is winning. Having trouble breaking the cycle after several indulgences. I just want to eat crap and feel ok about it like everyone else I know does!

But here's the rub.  You have no idea if they feel OK about eating crap. You don't know if their sleep is disrupted or if they are having terrible morning poops or if they have a rash.  You don't know if they beat themselves up and plan to "start tomorrow" and then fall into a pint of ice cream after work.  

I would suggest that there are not many people that can regularly eat garbage food and still feel their best.  If they even know what that might feel like. ;)

But here's the rub.  You have no idea if they feel OK about eating crap. You don't know if their sleep is disrupted or if they are having terrible morning poops or if they have a rash.  You don't know if they beat themselves up and plan to "start tomorrow" and then fall into a pint of ice cream after work.  

I would suggest that there are not many people that can regularly eat garbage food and still feel their best.  If they even know what that might feel like. ;)

lady Shanny, 

people don't know they don't feel well.  We have gotten so used to feeling what we feel that you don't know that there is an even better feeling. So, they don't even try it. 

Most people that want to make a change,  have a reason.  

Popwhizkid,  I have thought that about a few things. Like, I see someone eating something that used to taste good to me, that no longer does,  I say, how come they can eat that?  and walk away..    but I guess, they really aren't feeling that well because they end up on the toilet or need GasX or some other Fire engine stuff to keep the acid down . 

Archived