Can you drink bourbon during the reintroduction period

• Moderators

I'm not much of a drinker, but my understanding is bourbon is made from corn and other grains, including possibly wheat and rye. When you have it, you are having alcohol, gluten-free grains (the corn), and gluten-containing grains (rye and wheat).

Can you have it during reintroduction? Sure. But the information you get from having it isn't going to tell you much, other than how you react to bourbon.

If you have time to reintroduce gluten-free grains and gluten grains before you go, that would probably be ideal, since then you'd know how you react to those, and could compare that to how you react to the bourbon. (As an example -- if you have wheat and your face breaks out, and then you have bourbon later, and your only negative reaction is that your face breaks out, that was more than likely the gluten. If you have the bourbon without doing the other reintroductions first and your face breaks out, you don't know what caused that -- the gluten, the corn, the alcohol, or the combo of them.)

If you don't have time to do the other reintroductions first, just be sure the only non-compliant thing you have on your trip is the bourbon, and then you at least know how you react to it. Do be aware that many people find that after 30 days or more without alcohol, they are a little more sensitive to its effects than they were before W30, so you may not be able to drink as much before you start feeling it.

Nah, there's no gluten left after distilling. I don't think bourbon affects the physiological aspects of a reintro to the same *potential* degree as known "big deal" stuff like gluten, soy, dairy, & sulfites, but it's probably still worth taking in isolation as part of a full reintro schedule.

Archived